* * * * - 19 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#35761 falsedichotomies  

falsedichotomies

Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:51 AM

Anyone know of this new reset gamestop is doing to the stores? According to some of the employees on reddit, they are taking both the new and preowned copies off the shelves and just sticking placeholders for the top-selling games up there with a new and preowned price sticker. So, now we have to ask the employee if they have a game and if it has the original case for every game???? This sounds disastrous...

Links to gamestops subreddit:

https://www.reddit.c...this_new_reset/

https://www.reddit.c...move_from_guts/

Ha, what an absurdly awful idea. I can see it already.

Normal People: what do you mean you don't have this? It's in my hand right now and I just waited in a 20 minute line.

Collectors: Do you have this? Do you have this? Do you have this? Do you have this? Oh, you do? Can I see the case?

#35762 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3874 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:05 AM

When does B2G2 $29.99 and under end?

... It looks like it ended, but hard to tell with gamestop's garbage website.

#35763 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   5666 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:06 AM

Yeah I don't like the sound of that at all.  Honestly I'd prefer if they just kept the games all behind the counter like they do at one of the gamestops near me. They stack the popular ones on a counter or shelves behind for display purposes and the rest are in the cabinets under the counters. 

#35764 dinodamage  

dinodamage

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:26 AM

Any word on G2L for Cyberpunk? Didn't see it in the ad.

#35765 davemoseley  

davemoseley

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:58 AM

Any word on G2L for Cyberpunk? Didn't see it in the ad.

I think they typically only put them in the ads when it's releasing that same week. I believe Watch Dogs 2 is G2L but since that's out the 29th, it's also not in the ad yet.

Watch Dogs 2 was also the furthest-out-release that we saw advertised in-store, so once that's out, we might get a list of new titles. Success Cyberpunk has game coin, I wouldn't be surprised if it is G2L - most game coin titles recently have been.

On another note, I haven't got the Game Coin from Fifa yet, and no $10 coupon for spending $75 on the 13th.

#35766 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3874 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 18 October 2020 - 08:59 AM

I think they typically only put them in the ads when it's releasing that same week. I believe Watch Dogs 2 is G2L but since that's out the 29th, it's also not in the ad yet.

Watch Dogs 2 was also the furthest-out-release that we saw advertised in-store, so once that's out, we might get a list of new titles. Success Cyberpunk has game coin, I wouldn't be surprised if it is G2L - most game coin titles recently have been.

On another note, I haven't got the Game Coin from Fifa yet, and no $10 coupon for spending $75 on the 13th.

- I haven't gotten the game coin from Crash. Doubt I will.

- I haven't gotten the coupon from the "spend $75 get $10 coupon" either... and that coupon is effective starting today.

Gamestop better get their ass in gear, as that second coupon only lasts a short period of time.

#35767 Stellar Inertia   Completionist CAGiversary!   4434 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Stellar Inertia

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:09 AM

Sorry if this has been asked repeatedly but I did not see an answer the past few pages.

For the game coin has it been confirmed we need to preorder and pay the full cost of the game in advance? I have $5 down on Cyberpunk and Watch Dogs and planned to pick them up and pay them on release days. 

#35768 Fuzzmeister  

Fuzzmeister

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:12 AM

I saw Resident Evil 3 was still a $22 trade in and was in my backlog.  Started it Friday and will have it complete this morning, but it's down to $13 now. :(

#35769 cman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   124 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:57 AM

Is it just me or is anyone else sick and tired of these multiple variants of 50% off? How can a company have buy 5 19.99 and under games for 50% at the same time that it offers buy 4 14.99 and under games for $30 at the same time it offers buy $30 new and get 30% off used. Huh? Why can't Gamestop just offer 50% off preowned games, period, and watch their sales soar through the roof and clear space for next gen? Why are all of these now running concurrently????

It baffles me that they can allow trade in loopholes and pricing glitches that would immediately bankrupt other smaller companies and that people continuously take advantage of. Then, they run a supposed "sale" to move product that discourages buyers with weird, inconsistent buying requirements. You need a PHD in math and business to figure out Gamestop sales and determine how Gamestop can possibly still be in business.

#35770 strikeanywhere  

strikeanywhere

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:17 PM

Is it just me or is anyone else sick and tired of these multiple variants of 50% off? How can a company have buy 5 19.99 and under games for 50% at the same time that it offers buy 4 14.99 and under games for $30 at the same time it offers buy $30 new and get 30% off used. Huh? Why can't Gamestop just offer 50% off preowned games, period, and watch their sales soar through the roof and clear space for next gen? Why are all of these now running concurrently????

It baffles me that they can allow trade in loopholes and pricing glitches that would immediately bankrupt other smaller companies and that people continuously take advantage of. Then, they run a supposed "sale" to move product that discourages buyers with weird, inconsistent buying requirements. You need a PHD in math and business to figure out Gamestop sales and determine how Gamestop can possibly still be in business.

I assume it's a case of "the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing."

Just look at the Pro Day sale - 20% off two games. They're pushing their PAID membership program with a deal that is worse than the current (and common) non-member sale.

It really seems like different people or divisions are in charge of all of these different sales and don't communicate effectively at all. It's probably always been this way when you look at the number of times that sales and trade-in bonuses have overlapped creating all of the "boomerang" chaos that we keep seeing. That sort of thing should never happen (from the business's stand-point).

Frankly, if I were in charge, at the very least I'd hire a "Wait, this is stupid" Czar, and pay him $50,000 a year to watch every sale and trade-in value change and when something silly goes on between them, to have the ability to tweek things or at least get someone else to do it. It's not that hard; they're a major corporation.

#35771 Linkachu  

Linkachu

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:20 PM

1) Supply would not outlast demand.
2) They seem to be using a mix-methods approach for determining the most lucrative sale tactic while wanting to make room.

Either way, I just got 14 games yesterday for $40, and that’s not a bad day. Hope you feel better.

#35772 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   772 Posts   Joined 1.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:54 PM

Collectors: Do you have this? Do you have this? Do you have this? Do you have this? Oh, you do? Can I see the case?

My guess is they will start printing out  a binder with their actual stock for people to flip thru at the counter and get some COVID. 

Ideally, we'd be able to use the website to view a specific store's stock, maybe that is what the "get it fast - store pickup" filter is supposed to eventually be?  :dunce:

- I haven't gotten the coupon from the "spend $75 get $10 coupon" either...

I haven't gotten any points for any transactions after 9-14. (had in-store and online). Missing quite a few offers as well.  :oops:

Is it just me or is anyone else sick and tired of these multiple variants of 50% off? 

I'd prefer any type of 50% off sale to no sale!  :grouphug:

#35773 Hellacious   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   527 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:51 PM

My guess is they will start printing out  a binder with their actual stock for people to flip thru at the counter and get some COVID. 

Ideally, we'd be able to use the website to view a specific store's stock, maybe that is what the "get it fast - store pickup" filter is supposed to eventually be?  :dunce:

I haven't gotten any points for any transactions after 9-14. (had in-store and online). Missing quite a few offers as well.  :oops:

I'd prefer any type of 50% off sale to no sale!  :grouphug:

I'd prefer that they just bring back the Elite Pro 20% off along with stacking coupons for CAG and Slickdeals. Ensuring an every day great price structure instead of the constant "Promotional Savings". Pretty soon they'll be worse than Shell Fuel Up Rewards. Save 5% off a Pre-Owned game if you purchase a pack of masks at the counter with Power Up Rewards!

#35774 Dojorkan   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   424 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:59 PM

The up to 50% off doesn't even some to be live yet. :|

#35775 Troblin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   170 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:03 PM

It is working, just doesn't work on pro day sale games

#35776 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   875 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:10 PM

i’m all for the elimination of gutted games...that practice is bs without an “open box” discount.

the forced employee interaction sounds awful for both the customer and the employee.

i can’t imagine how much more painful waiting in line will become...

#35777 Fuzzmeister  

Fuzzmeister

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:20 PM

How long does it take to get a gift card back after cancelling an online order made with one?

#35778 Dojorkan   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   424 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:25 PM

It is working, just doesn't work on pro day sale games

I didn't have any proday games. Oddly enough it give me 50% for 5 games, but not 30%/40$ for 3 and 4. If I have 3/4 I only get 20% off. So only 2 or 5, nothing inbetween.

#35779 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   23625 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:29 PM

Anyone know of this new reset gamestop is doing to the stores? According to some of the employees on reddit, they are taking both the new and preowned copies off the shelves and just sticking placeholders for the top-selling games up there with a new and preowned price sticker. So, now we have to ask the employee if they have a game and if it has the original case for every game???? This sounds disastrous...

Links to gamestops subreddit:

https://www.reddit.c...this_new_reset/

https://www.reddit.c...move_from_guts/

I feel like there's some exec at GS corporate that's a massive troll... it always feels like whenever they take some steps in the right direction, the take some steps- not backwards but, to the left/right? 

Regarding the top X lists is actually a good idea because it seems like people these days love lists but it makes 0 sense to show stuff that they will not have in stock... I guess it might be that they're expanding their web orders in store. 

#35780 DubTownG   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   323 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:57 PM

What are the rules around using Game Coin? Can it be used on pre-orders? Also, what happens if you return the game that earned you the Game Coin after using the Game Coin?

#35781 Xenogears   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   552 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 04:49 PM

I feel like there's some exec at GS corporate that's a massive troll... it always feels like whenever they take some steps in the right direction, the take some steps- not backwards but, to the left/right? 

Don’t mean to throw dirt or accuse at all, just an interesting “what if” thought experiment.  With how many loopholes customers can seem to find, what do you think an employee could get away with if they were exploiting or creating loopholes for their own benefit?  Someone, or a group in strategic positions, manipulating and taking advantage of trade loopholes somehow, or even company wide, shifting around inventory and skimming the extra trade credit that is generated?  Shifting it for tax or shareholder reporting purposes.  I don’t know, just thinking of how anything like that could work.  Not accusing the company of anything at all, just pulled that all out of thin air.

As others have mentioned though, any normal sensible company would want to shut exploits down ASAP, unless they or someone in power somehow benefit as well?  Either that or it’s just negligence and incompetence.  It’s just ridiculous that they don’t have measures in place to stop trade values from exceeding purchase price with promos overall after all these years, it can’t be that difficult.

GameStop has demonstrated they are willing to bend the rules of common practice and standard definition if it saves them a buck, with their unique definition of “new”.  This gives them advantages at the expense of the consumer.  An example of how it could be further exploited: they get a nice looking trade in, what’s to stop them from just reselling it as new by their definition?  We just have to take their word for it.  Probably doesn’t happen company wide, we would hear about it, but on an individual basis, I’m sure it’s happened.

I saw rumors that they opened Xenoblade wii copies back in the day to sell used at a premium.  Any actual proof of that?  Placing desirable items for sale as part of bundles only, not a huge deal, but something they clearly do more than others.  What about when switches were all out of stock in store when Covid started?  Again, pretty baseless, but I noticed one of the top sellers on eBay at the time was a warehouse near their headquarters.  Sold 500 plus at $600 each I think.  They were just one of many mass sellers.  The candidates that would just happen to have that much inventory available are few.  It was probably some behind the scenes 3rd party distributor, but if I had to pick a retailer that I was aware of, most likely to pull something shady with their inventory for additional profit, it would be GameStop.  Or a rogue employee able to get away with rerouting a bunch of inventory, also GameStop would be my bet.  Not saying any of that actually happened, I have no place to other than what I’ve just stated, but i think it is a possibility.  Any other examples or possibilities for internal exploit?  An up and up company would do that type of investigation themselves and already have it locked down with lots of transparency and oversight, wonder if that is the case for GameStop.

#35782 IAMSAM34  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:31 PM

What are the rules around using Game Coin? Can it be used on pre-orders? Also, what happens if you return the game that earned you the Game Coin after using the Game Coin?

You will incur a negative point balance or reduction in points if you have a positive balance.

#35783 Crono139   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   249 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Crono139

Posted 18 October 2020 - 05:38 PM

I didn't have any proday games. Oddly enough it give me 50% for 5 games, but not 30%/40$ for 3 and 4. If I have 3/4 I only get 20% off. So only 2 or 5, nothing inbetween.

Same here. Looks like we'll just have to wait until tomorrow for the Pro Days deal to go away.

#35784 davemoseley  

davemoseley

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:01 PM

You will incur a negative point balance or reduction in points if you have a positive balance.

This is correct, but remember that a G2L title returned within the first two days should be handled as a trade-in, not a return - so Game Coin wouldn't be taken back.  Getting it issued at all in the first place, now THERE's the tricky part...

#35785 IAMSAM34  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:11 PM

This is correct, but remember that a G2L title returned within the first two days should be handled as a trade-in, not a return - so Game Coin wouldn't be taken back. Getting it issued at all in the first place, now THERE's the tricky part...

You are assuming he is trading in. It seems to me he is trying to do a return without opening the game.

#35786 skrockij89  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:46 PM

I’m still waiting for GameStop to fix their app. Eliminating the TIV option was a terrible move. Especially when they rely on them as a business.

#35787 Am_I_Evil  

Am_I_Evil

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:49 PM

I’m still waiting for GameStop to fix their app. Eliminating the TIV option was a terrible move. Especially when they rely on them as a business.

it's back, kind of...under the profile section...just takes you to the website but it's better than nothing...

#35788 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3874 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:10 PM

In the past I know it was frowned upon to buy a game coin eligible game, return it after the 72 hours (?), and keep the game coin... BUT gamestop has been jerking us all around with this stupid game coin promo.

Seems like most people SHOULD have hypothetically gotten game coins for Madden, Avengers, FIFA, Crash, or any other G2L game, but never did. And since the freaking employees can't even do their jobs right and are processing these games as returns instead of G2L trades within the 2 day period, it makes it a lot harder than it needs to be.

Their website redesign has also broken the sort by price feature AGAIN. Just when you think they can't change something else for the worst, they say "hold my beer" and do something even more retarded than what they had done in the past.

Then, they run a supposed "sale" to move product that discourages buyers with weird, inconsistent buying requirements.

I will be happy when this Pro Day sale ends, as it has made the B2G2 a nightmare trying to get it to work with Pro Day stuff (since the Pro Day games had to be the ones you were paying for), the buy 5 get 50% off doesn't work with any of the Pro Day discounted games, and I think it screwed up the sorting feature

#35789 bn222  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:28 PM

I tried to renew my pro in store today and they weren't able to do it. They said I'm still technically elite pro and it has to expire first. Did that happen to anyone else and did you find a workaround?

#35790 Omni99  

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:30 PM

I tried to renew my pro in store today and they weren't able to do it. They said I'm still technically elite pro and it has to expire first. Did that happen to anyone else and did you find a workaround?

I've also been told that since I am EP I can't renew until it dies.