* * * * - 23 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#42661 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   1113 Posts   Joined 1.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2021 - 03:23 AM

I am a sucker whenever GS reloads on retro games. Wish I had participated back when they had retro sales... but didn't want them back then! Lets see how destroyed/fake these n64/nes/snes carts are!  :oldman:

#42662 Imbackhaha  

Imbackhaha

Posted 19 May 2021 - 05:49 AM

dont know how so many people have trouble with gamestop shipping. I order over the $35 free shipping threshold and get my items within 3-5 days every time i order.

#42663 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1529 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 19 May 2021 - 06:01 AM

dont know how so many people have trouble with gamestop shipping. I order over the $35 free shipping threshold and get my items within 3-5 days every time i order.

Dave is back

#42664 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 19 May 2021 - 12:13 PM

I rarely have issues with shipping.  It's usually a problem with what is inside the mailer, with defective, missing, and wrong games occurring rather frequently

#42665 Xenogears   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   720 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2021 - 01:39 PM

I am a sucker whenever GS reloads on retro games. Wish I had participated back when they had retro sales... but didn't want them back then! Lets see how destroyed/fake these n64/nes/snes carts are!  :oldman:

If you got a large amount, curious to see what ratio are complete, functional, or fake trash.  The chance of complete has got to be zero.  Has anyone ever gotten a complete game that came in a cardboard box originally?  Let us know how it compares to a dumpster dive overall.

#42666 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1529 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 19 May 2021 - 01:48 PM

Only complete retro cart games I ever received were Genesis games.

#42667 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 19 May 2021 - 02:40 PM

If you got a large amount, curious to see what ratio are complete, functional, or fake trash.  The chance of complete has got to be zero.  Has anyone ever gotten a complete game that came in a cardboard box originally?  Let us know how it compares to a dumpster dive overall.

Not since they sold them in-store.  But I did maybe 5 years ago in-store.  Also got an SNES in the box with the styrofoam.  For online, I've only received CIB copies of disc games

#42668 MOJBK  

Posted 19 May 2021 - 04:03 PM

Nice, had $200 in trade credit and spent it all on Retro stuff. Gamestop prices are actually really good for retro, now I just gotta hope that they are all in decent shape. Worst I've gotten from Gamestop was Mega Man cart that had its surface texture ruined by some sort of corrosive substance.

#42669 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   1113 Posts   Joined 1.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2021 - 04:11 PM

I'll report back once they arrive. Oldest retro game I received complete ever was normal DS game. Everything else came in a ziplock bag typically. I ordered a bunch of random retro to use up credit as my major flipping days may be behind me with le ban. Weird to not care that there isn't a sale with these purchases, but did buy a new game on the games > $50. 

NES - Zelda² / Contra / Crystalis

SNES - Mario All-stars, F-Zero, Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Gaia,  Killer Instinct

Gameboy/DS - Zelda, Golden Sun, Days of Ruin

N64 - Pokemon Stadiums, Snap, Smash Bros, Zelda 

I predict 20% will have a destroyed/no sticker, 10% will have someone's name in sharpie, 30% will be fake!, 50% will looks terrible but I'll still keep because I have low standards. I don't have an actual console to test most of these, so maybe should just get one of those 5 in 1 retron systems.   :oldman:

#42670 endsjustify  

endsjustify

Posted 19 May 2021 - 05:19 PM

I've had exceptional luck with Gamestop retro over the years... minus one fake copy of Crusader of Centy.

#42671 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   1305 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 19 May 2021 - 05:48 PM

Price matching online retailers?

https://www.gamestop...e/11095813.html

#42672 Staind204   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2489 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2021 - 07:11 PM

Xeno 2 from the most recent restock arrived.  Glad to finally get a copy but cart only  :bomb:  :cry:

#42673 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 19 May 2021 - 07:23 PM

Price matching online retailers?

https://www.gamestop...e/11095813.html

They are $69 on Amazon.

#42674 Stellar Inertia   Completionist CAGiversary!   4441 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Stellar Inertia

Posted 19 May 2021 - 07:54 PM

I know this was asked before but I forgot the answer and can’t find it. If I bought a ps5 bundle can I return the games or extra controller? Thanks I’m advance.

#42675 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   1305 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 19 May 2021 - 08:03 PM

I know this was asked before but I forgot the answer and can’t find it. If I bought a ps5 bundle can I return the games or extra controller? Thanks I’m advance.

Technically, no.

#42676 BudzMcGee   GalaxyofGeek.com CAGiversary!   3851 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2021 - 08:49 PM

I've only bought a few retro N64 games from Gamestop but I've had good luck.  I bought an HDMI adapter for N64 when they had a "comes with 2 games" sale and got Mario Kart and I think Mario Party 2, both authentic both worked, sold them each off to a friend for $40 each since I owned them. 

When they had the B1G at $29.99 or higher get 50% off a pre-owned game, I bought Spongebob Bikini Bottom (week it came out) and got half off Star Craft 64 (which was crazy cause I saved $42 bon star craft 64).  I totally expected it to be fake/destroyed but it wasn't. Great condition and seemingly authentic. 

I then took advantage of the next time they did that sale and got Paper Mario 64 for half off when buying the new Paper Mario. Again, great condition, authentic, works great.  

I see why they've stopped doing 50% off a pre-owned game for that deal though haha

#42677 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1529 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 19 May 2021 - 08:59 PM

I've only bought a few retro N64 games from Gamestop but I've had good luck.  I bought an HDMI adapter for N64 when they had a "comes with 2 games" sale and got Mario Kart and I think Mario Party 2, both authentic both worked, sold them each off to a friend for $40 each since I owned them. 

When they had the B1G at $29.99 or higher get 50% off a pre-owned game, I bought Spongebob Bikini Bottom (week it came out) and got half off Star Craft 64 (which was crazy cause I saved $42 bon star craft 64).  I totally expected it to be fake/destroyed but it wasn't. Great condition and seemingly authentic. 

I then took advantage of the next time they did that sale and got Paper Mario 64 for half off when buying the new Paper Mario. Again, great condition, authentic, works great.  

I see why they've stopped doing 50% off a pre-owned game for that deal though haha

They still do that online lol. Just add a second $29.99 game to the cart.

#42678 Xenogears   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   720 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2021 - 09:05 PM

Don’t push it or argue, and not really cool to try at multiple stores, but doesn’t hurt to ask.  I think the website does say you have to return everything, but they also count open games as “new”, so they already run pretty loose with their terminology.  And forced bundles are BS anyway, so I don’t think there is anything wrong with asking.  They can refund artificial bundles, it’s just a bunch of random full priced stuff on an itemized receipt.

#42679 GeeWiz   Cheaper than Cheap! CAGiversary!   2356 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2021 - 09:35 PM

Ori and the Will of the Wisps Collector's Edition (XBOX ONE) -- $34.97

Thanks for the tip on this! I knew my local store always has collector's editions real high in ladder distance and I found a sealed copy for $23 in store!

Also in the same trip, surprisingly found a pre-owned Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Legacy steelbook for PS4 with all 3 discs for $35! This find alone is grail worthy since the Steelbook with the games without the art book and outer box goes for $140+ so I'm still shocked I found it!

#42680 BudzMcGee   GalaxyofGeek.com CAGiversary!   3851 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2021 - 03:52 AM

They still do that online lol. Just add a second $29.99 game to the cart.

Buying two $29.99 games to get 50% off a pre-owned game is definitely not the same deal as the buy one $29.99 game and get 50% off a Pre-owned game deal I was talking about...

#42681 baboonfreak   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1278 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

baboonfreak

Posted 20 May 2021 - 04:39 AM

So did they just get rid of the Wishlist page? I have it bookmarked but it just goes to the Account page...

#42682 r00kie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   426 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2021 - 05:33 AM

So did they just get rid of the Wishlist page? I have it bookmarked but it just goes to the Account page...

I think so...Another brilliant move for their site,  I had a lot of stuff on mine that I wanted to get cheap eventually....shoulda used a pen and paper I guess.

#42683 strikeanywhere  

strikeanywhere

Posted 20 May 2021 - 10:49 AM

I think so...Another brilliant move for their site,  I had a lot of stuff on mine that I wanted to get cheap eventually....shoulda used a pen and paper I guess.

I'll repeat my long-standing mantra toward Gamestop : I have never seen another company try so hard to keep customers from buying their products.

Most of the things they do seem completely antithetical to their own business.

#42684 bluelightningduo  

bluelightningduo

Posted 20 May 2021 - 11:05 AM

The wishlist will come back at the same time as CAG16...rip.

#42685 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   600 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 20 May 2021 - 11:28 AM

Their hatred of their employees, thier customers and video games is only eclipsed by thier hatred of profit

#42686 DesertLeo   DontReadThis. CAGiversary!   2464 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2021 - 01:11 PM

Yeah this is nuts, I don't understand how getting rid of the wishlists benefits them. Does it cost extra on their end to offer them or something?

#42687 Xenogears   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   720 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2021 - 02:49 PM

Berserk and the band of the hawk PS4 about to shoot up in value :(.  I guess another one I’m glad I got during their essential business COVID clearance sales.  

Weird how wishlist was removed in phases.  Maybe something they did broke adding new items, and now they just decided it wasn’t worth fixing.  Or if they want to purge a bunch of retro listings they will never get back, but they were still in people’s wishlists, had to wipe it out?

#42688 BudzMcGee   GalaxyofGeek.com CAGiversary!   3851 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:31 PM

The wishlist feature has gone away and come back like a dozen times now.  Seems every time they update their site they either cause it to go away or they have to hide it until they can update further.  Super frustrating though.  Save for later in cart still works, though that feature has also randomly gone away and come back before. 

Their most recent update clearly introduce a bunch of really bad queries too.  Last night I was trying to filter pre-owned xbox one games by cheap to high and each filter, action resulted in another web request/query and all of them were taking a really long time to execute. So I selected all the filters then just sat and watched as the results kept changing as the page processed all the requests. Then it reverted to the non-filtered list. I suspect someone wried it up so each check of a filter performs the query instead of on "Done" and also think that someone messed up and is querying the db table of all games and not just the list of games for a specific format (well that or they pinned a bad plan/forgot to add indexes to their database tables after the last update). 

#42689 2changz  

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:45 PM

Found some copies of Heartgold and Soulsilver online for pickup but it wouldn't let me checkout. Called the store and they put them on hold for me. On my way to pick them up now :)

#42690 TidalDreams   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   364 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

TidalDreams

Posted 20 May 2021 - 09:34 PM

I'll report back once they arrive. Oldest retro game I received complete ever was normal DS game. Everything else came in a ziplock bag typically. I ordered a bunch of random retro to use up credit as my major flipping days may be behind me with le ban. Weird to not care that there isn't a sale with these purchases, but did buy a new game on the games > $50. 

SNES - Mario All-stars, F-Zero, Chrono Trigger, Illusion of Gaia,  Killer Instinct

I predict 20% will have a destroyed/no sticker, 10% will have someone's name in sharpie, 30% will be fake!, 50% will looks terrible but I'll still keep because I have low standards. I don't have an actual console to test most of these, so maybe should just get one of those 5 in 1 retron systems.   :oldman:

I've gotten fake chrono triggers from them before. The other games probably not as likely, as they are nowhere near as valuable.

The wishlist feature has gone away and come back like a dozen times now.  Seems every time they update their site they either cause it to go away or they have to hide it until they can update further.  Super frustrating though.  Save for later in cart still works, though that feature has also randomly gone away and come back before. 

Their most recent update clearly introduce a bunch of really bad queries too.  Last night I was trying to filter pre-owned xbox one games by cheap to high and each filter, action resulted in another web request/query and all of them were taking a really long time to execute. So I selected all the filters then just sat and watched as the results kept changing as the page processed all the requests. Then it reverted to the non-filtered list. I suspect someone wried it up so each check of a filter performs the query instead of on "Done" and also think that someone messed up and is querying the db table of all games and not just the list of games for a specific format (well that or they pinned a bad plan/forgot to add indexes to their database tables after the last update). 

Can't imagine they have the best programmers. Maybe if they offered them shares during the height of the frenzy...