* * * * - 23 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#42691 DesertLeo   DontReadThis. CAGiversary!   2464 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2021 - 09:58 PM

Xeno 2 from the most recent restock arrived.  Glad to finally get a copy but cart only  :bomb:  :cry:

Me too, dagummit. Ah well, I DID get a complete Legend of Legacy and switch version of AI: The Somnium Files at least.

#42692 Linkachu  

Linkachu

Posted 20 May 2021 - 10:52 PM

Just got the noti that one store is closing near me. Any recommendations on what to grab for flips? It's only 10-30% off so far.

#42693 Lithium Flower   Just about to bloom CAGiversary!   109 Posts   Joined 3.0 Years Ago  

Lithium Flower

Posted 20 May 2021 - 11:33 PM

Berserk and the band of the hawk PS4 about to shoot up in value :(.  I guess another one I’m glad I got during their essential business COVID clearance sales.  

Weird how wishlist was removed in phases.  Maybe something they did broke adding new items, and now they just decided it wasn’t worth fixing.  Or if they want to purge a bunch of retro listings they will never get back, but they were still in people’s wishlists, had to wipe it out?

I can't believe Miura is just...gone. Everyone joked about the Berserk hiatuses but I never expected him to just suddenly pass away.

#42694 dchan11  

Posted 21 May 2021 - 12:10 AM

If you guys are looking for replacement case Naytendo makes pretty good ones

#42695 Xenogears   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   721 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2021 - 03:27 AM

I can't believe Miura is just...gone. Everyone joked about the Berserk hiatuses but I never expected him to just suddenly pass away.

Any death is tragic, but pretty much devoting his life to telling one story, putting as much thought, effort and singular talent into it as he clearly did, and not being able to finish, that hits hard.

#42696 2changz  

Posted 21 May 2021 - 12:39 PM

Heartgold and Soulsilver I drove pretty far for ended up being fake. What was nice was that I found Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, Dawn of Sorrow, and Order of Ecclesia all cart only. I assumed they were all fakes traded in with the Pokemon Games but I checked and each save file was from the same person and holding saves with 20+ hours on them.

Does anyone know how to spot fake Castlevania games and is them holding saves a good indication that they're legit? The Pokemon games were obviously fake because of cartridge color. Also found a Dragon Quest IX DS there cart only too.

#42697 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1530 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 21 May 2021 - 12:59 PM

Heartgold and Soulsilver I drove pretty far for ended up being fake. What was nice was that I found Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, Dawn of Sorrow, and Order of Ecclesia all cart only. I assumed they were all fakes traded in with the Pokemon Games but I checked and each save file was from the same person and holding saves with 20+ hours on them.

Does anyone know how to spot fake Castlevania games and is them holding saves a good indication that they're legit? The Pokemon games were obviously fake because of cartridge color. Also found a Dragon Quest IX DS there cart only too.

You will need to look at the codes on the front and back to see if they match. After that, clues on the label will be how you tell. Also, DSi and 3DS/2DS models usually won't play fakes. But that isn't always the case.

And no, having saves on it is not a good indicator. That means nothing really.

Next time you should call the store and have them shine a light through any HG/SS, B/W, B2/W2 carts before making a very long drive. Lucky it paid off for you, but that was extremely lucky.

Edit: What color were the Pokemon games? Gray or Black?

#42698 toska  

Posted 21 May 2021 - 01:14 PM

make sure serial matches the back and compare the font on the back to a genuine ds cart, make sure theres a slight indent in the middle of the top of the cart, all real carts have one
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=yNm6cHq3QWE

post pics if you want and we can prob tell if theyre fake or not

#42699 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1530 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 21 May 2021 - 01:15 PM

post pics if you want and we can prob tell if theyre fake or not

We can certainly help. There is also a subreddit called r/gameverify that does this all the time. You just make a post and post the pics and they will help you.

#42700 Staind204   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2489 Posts   Joined 17.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2021 - 01:51 PM

IMO it's sad that a game specialty store like Gamestop has so many fakes.  I totally get that a fake or two would slip though but this seems far too common.  It's something I would expect from Craigslist or Ebay not a store that claims to specialize in selling video games.  Couldn't someone from corporate take a few hours to put together a document to show how to spot fakes and send it out to their stores to use?

#42701 toska  

Posted 21 May 2021 - 02:08 PM

they dont care about their employees or their customers
just their pnl

#42702 ritchardf  

Posted 21 May 2021 - 03:01 PM

are switch games even going up during bumps anymore? seems like most of the ones i have are $27 or $30 already

#42703 jrc84  

Posted 21 May 2021 - 03:18 PM

IMO it's sad that a game specialty store like Gamestop has so many fakes. I totally get that a fake or two would slip though but this seems far too common. It's something I would expect from Craigslist or Ebay not a store that claims to specialize in selling video games. Couldn't someone from corporate take a few hours to put together a document to show how to spot fakes and send it out to their stores to use?

Fakes don't matter for their old school business model. They only want to churn a working copy over and over...basically a rental store. They should probably adapt to the collector's market but I wouldn't hold my breath.

#42704 KrayzieKMF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4042 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2021 - 03:30 PM

I like how gamestop's website is starting to be more competitive in pricing.

#42705 Squidfinity  

Squidfinity

Posted 21 May 2021 - 03:55 PM

Couldn't someone from corporate take a few hours to put together a document to show how to spot fakes and send it out to their stores to use?

Back around when they started taking retro again there was some printed guidance of some kind. At least one store near me would consult a binder to identify what needed to go with what retro systems to be considered a complete trade. They would still manage to misidentify Sega systems even when carefully scrutinizing the book. The rest in the district that I brought systems to would just take my word that what was in my bag was everything needed.

At another the manager would inspect my NES carts very carefully and would claim my 100% original low-value NES carts like Dr. Mario and Tetris were repros because they didn't have "the code" and would point to the white edge of the PCB. He got very mad when I called him on his nonsense and claimed he'd been "doing this for ten years."

#42706 Linkachu  

Linkachu

Posted 21 May 2021 - 05:48 PM

Just got the noti that one store is closing near me. Any recommendations on what to grab for flips? It's only 10-30% off so far.

#42707 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1530 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 21 May 2021 - 06:03 PM

Fakes don't matter for their old school business model. They only want to churn a working copy over and over...basically a rental store. They should probably adapt to the collector's market but I wouldn't hold my breath.

And the grandma's or uninformed parents buying a Pokemon game for DS for their 8 year old don't care and the kid won't notice.

#42708 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6336 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 21 May 2021 - 06:39 PM

The kids will notice when the coin case and other stuff are unaccessible. Can you even trade or battle other people in the fakes?

#42709 detsportsfan3   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   197 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

detsportsfan3

Posted 21 May 2021 - 10:15 PM

Sorry to hear that, but doesn't surprise me. It's pretty easy to spot bad DS fakes, people have already given good suggestions on that. But it's really really tough to spot a good fake unless you have a known genuine copy to compare side by side to.

I've seen and had cartridges that seem to check all the boxes of being a real cartridge: correct code/font style on the back, play fine, have the "mark" on the top of the cartridge, etc. And you compare it to a real cartridge and the font on the front is SLIGHTLY thinner or darker and man I'd never know if I wasn't comparing it to another cartridge.

Some thing that I found helps is if you put the cartridge in a normal ds (not a 3ds) and put it to sleep mode, if the DS starts having a seizure, the cart is likely a fake. Now it's not full proof, and if your cart doesnt have a seizure, it doesn't mean it's authentic.

In general I just stay away from DS carts now, unless they are the black/red IR pokemon carts. I especially stay away from Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

#42710 jooksingjie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   478 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

jooksingjie

Posted 21 May 2021 - 10:46 PM

Miitopia G2L code EBC3066507 in case anyone needs it.

#42711 doc_j88   CAG Vet CAGiversary!   1473 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2021 - 01:01 AM

Miitopia G2L code EBC3066507 in case anyone needs it.

Thank you good sir

#42712 PS5XBOXSERIESX  

PS5XBOXSERIESX

Posted 22 May 2021 - 03:26 AM

I mean that's not a good enough discount for any flips. If it gets to like 50% I'd start grabbing Switch games.

#42713 WeaponX2099   All Caps when you remember the man's name CAGiversary!   5638 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

WeaponX2099

Posted 22 May 2021 - 03:31 AM

Just systems & controllers while you can. They will not last long. 

#42714 2changz  

Posted 22 May 2021 - 04:31 AM

You will need to look at the codes on the front and back to see if they match. After that, clues on the label will be how you tell. Also, DSi and 3DS/2DS models usually won't play fakes. But that isn't always the case.

And no, having saves on it is not a good indicator. That means nothing really.

Next time you should call the store and have them shine a light through any HG/SS, B/W, B2/W2 carts before making a very long drive. Lucky it paid off for you, but that was extremely lucky.

Edit: What color were the Pokemon games? Gray or Black?

The games were black and the carts were not the translucent red they’re supposed to be. I’ll try to send some photos of the Castlevanias soon

#42715 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1530 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 22 May 2021 - 04:46 AM

The games were black and the carts were not the translucent red they’re supposed to be. I’ll try to send some photos of the Castlevanias soon

Black carts are correct. Did you try shining a light thru it?

#42716 Naruto Uzumaki   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   522 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Naruto Uzumaki

Posted 22 May 2021 - 06:39 AM

Nearly anything Nintendo, Trading cards, &....don't forget to ask if you can buy their displays for the switch, the tv they usually have playing GStv etc. 

Good luck

#42717 2changz  

Posted 22 May 2021 - 03:17 PM

Black carts are correct. Did you try shining a light thru it?

Sorry I was tired but the carts were Gray. Sorry about the confusion haha

#42718 2changz  

Posted 22 May 2021 - 07:45 PM

Here’s some photos of the Castlevania carts, if anyone can help me figure out if these are fake or jot that would be great. If they’re fake I’ll just return them to GameStop

https://imgur.com/a/iFEQU96

#42719 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4185 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:06 PM

Here’s some photos of the Castlevania carts, if anyone can help me figure out if these are fake or jot that would be great. If they’re fake I’ll just return them to GameStop

They look legit to me from what I can see. The fakes typically either don't match the serial number on the front/back, don't have the registered trade mark symbol on Nintendo on the back, and don't have the white writing on the chip visible from the rear. All these have those things so should be good.

#42720 PS5XBOXSERIESX  

PS5XBOXSERIESX

Posted 22 May 2021 - 08:35 PM

Edit: Nvm it might be real? I had a fake that looked identical to that ecclesia. You could tell because the quality of the label was really washed out. I can't tell from the pictures if yours is like that.