* * * - - 27 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#44641 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   15343 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 August 2021 - 10:49 PM

Another argument to flesh out the time management aspect of the discussion is that nobody on here has any other marketable skills they could be using their spare time for, thus they trade real cash for Gamestop credit and risk getting banned because of it. If you developed and marketed anything supplemental to your actual job, then you most likely wouldn't be wasting all that time looking for games to flip to Gamestop for a 1.5x trade credit return at best.

Yet another facet to the discussion is how close people live to these Gamestops. Not everyone has two Gamestops within a 30-minute detour of their daily routine. I'd consider anything more than 30 minutes a waste of time and gas, and the small returns being reported in these threads aren't even worth that trip.

Good to see more people acknowledge that there are real ways of making actual money as a side hustle. And then there's Gamestop trade-ins, which are closer to collecting bottles than anything.

#44642 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   1494 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:37 PM

Amazing how you guys can’t go 2 weeks without reminding everyone how valuable your time is…while you waste your time making no money or skills by posting here. Talk about deals, say something nice, or don’t say anything at all.

Redeemed my pro renewal receipt $5 over the weekend for Xbox credit. It’s nice doing the store pickup orders since the transaction is done they don’t ask about warranties. Hope we get a trade bonus weekend so I can dump some Wii games while I still can. Can’t believe Mario kart Wii costs more than Mario kart switch.

#44643 tubtub   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   898 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2021 - 12:03 AM

Anyone else not get their august coupon yet?

I still haven't gotten my August coupon and it is not in my account. Anyone else still waiting?

#44644 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   1184 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2021 - 12:04 AM

Amazing how you guys can’t go 2 weeks without reminding everyone how valuable your time is…while you waste your time making no money or skills by posting here. Talk about deals, say something nice, or don’t say anything at all.

End game of any forum is drama. Once you've reached max level CAG there is nothing else to do!  :fridge:

#44645 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5935 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 04 August 2021 - 12:21 AM

Everyone could just post trade talk in the actual thread for it. Then we wouldn't have to have this debate every week.
https://www.cheapass...part-ii/page-37

#44646 NunyaBusiness  

NunyaBusiness

Posted 04 August 2021 - 01:51 AM

yeah, the tax thing is state related

This used to be a thing in Texas god knows how long ago... I miss that soo much, gives so much extra lee-way for flipping since you always get tax as an added bonus.

#44647 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   1184 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2021 - 03:42 AM

The no-tax for trade-in credit has more to do with the state regulation dealing with double-taxation - since it assume you paid tax on the items you are  trading in I think? Similar to how when you trade a car in towards a new car, some states you are taxed on that TIV or somesuch. Anyone have a list of all the states that do and don't charge tax on GS trade-in credit?  :beer:

#44648 Neo Oracle  

Neo Oracle

Posted 04 August 2021 - 05:23 AM

I screwed up and used trade credit to buy a system. I had already used it to preorder an LE. I was going to try to buy and return games bought with a gift card to refill the trade credit since I thought they were interchangeable. I tried to do the return today, but the cashier could only put it on a gift card or give me cash. Is there any other way to refill the trade credit?

#44649 jooksingjie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   529 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

jooksingjie

Posted 04 August 2021 - 07:46 AM

I screwed up and used trade credit to buy a system. I had already used it to preorder an LE. I was going to try to buy and return games bought with a gift card to refill the trade credit since I thought they were interchangeable. I tried to do the return today, but the cashier could only put it on a gift card or give me cash. Is there any other way to refill the trade credit?

Trade games. Get trade credit. 

#44650 ritchardf  

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:29 AM

Trade games. Get trade credit. 

to futher elaborate, when you do any trade ins, give them your current trade card instead of letting them put it on a new one.

#44651 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   1184 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2021 - 10:59 AM

Assuming the preorder is the only item on the order or none of the other items on that order have shipped you can change payment from the app/website prior to release. 

3dTxJBo.png

Speaking of using trade credit online, since those transactions are taxed, you sometimes would prefer to get a return in-store on a gift card as you'd get tax back when refunded in GC vs TC depending on your state.  :oldman: Of course, with web returns you can just wait...

#44652 breezee   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   180 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2021 - 03:42 PM

Haven't seen any mention of this but I just received a $5 gift card for my birthday month.

#44653 KrayzieKMF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4245 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2021 - 03:51 PM

Haven't seen any mention of this but I just received a $5 gift card for my birthday month.

They only gave me a 20% off preowned coupon.

#44654 Vigilante   poyo CAGiversary!   38150 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 04 August 2021 - 04:40 PM

They only gave me a 20% off preowned coupon.

I would have preferred that over the $5 GC.

#44655 willozsy   CAG Hokage CAGiversary!   1047 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

willozsy

Posted 04 August 2021 - 11:19 PM

so... I just found out I'm still banned on trades... long story short, I did a trade in February, then tried to trade again in early April but was told I couldn't trade. As far as I know, I did not exceed any limit or break any rules like trade in sealed games or something like that. I asked CS and they said they didn't know and a regional manager would contact me, then the RM told me that I got a trade ban, which she couldn't tell me why I received the ban, and it should last about 3 months. No problem, and now it's more than 3 months, I brought Horizon Zero Dawn with me to trade in, and the ban is STILL in effect... I suspect the only thing actually is preventing me from trading is my new ID (I moved to a new state and got a new ID), since the supposed "ban" happened when I tried to trade using my new ID back in April as well. Before that, I was using my old ID and everything was fine. Anybody has experience with this?

#44656 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   4049 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:49 AM

Another argument to flesh out the time management aspect of the discussion is that nobody on here has any other marketable skills they could be using their spare time for, thus they trade real cash for Gamestop credit and risk getting banned because of it. If you developed and marketed anything supplemental to your actual job, then you most likely wouldn't be wasting all that time looking for games to flip to Gamestop for a 1.5x trade credit return at best.

Yet another facet to the discussion is how close people live to these Gamestops. Not everyone has two Gamestops within a 30-minute detour of their daily routine. I'd consider anything more than 30 minutes a waste of time and gas, and the small returns being reported in these threads aren't even worth that trip.

Good to see more people acknowledge that there are real ways of making actual money as a side hustle. And then there's Gamestop trade-ins, which are closer to collecting bottles than anything.

Ah, now it makes sense why you spend so much time here and have >15,000 posts. Thanks for providing your own personal experience.

#44657 jooksingjie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   529 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

jooksingjie

Posted 05 August 2021 - 01:15 AM

so... I just found out I'm still banned on trades... long story short, I did a trade in February, then tried to trade again in early April but was told I couldn't trade. As far as I know, I did not exceed any limit or break any rules like trade in sealed games or something like that. I asked CS and they said they didn't know and a regional manager would contact me, then the RM told me that I got a trade ban, which she couldn't tell me why I received the ban, and it should last about 3 months. No problem, and now it's more than 3 months, I brought Horizon Zero Dawn with me to trade in, and the ban is STILL in effect... I suspect the only thing actually is preventing me from trading is my new ID (I moved to a new state and got a new ID), since the supposed "ban" happened when I tried to trade using my new ID back in April as well. Before that, I was using my old ID and everything was fine. Anybody has experience with this?

I don’t think it has to do with id. If they weren’t willing or able to resolve it for you, you might be SOL. I suggest making a new account and see if you can trade that way.

#44658 BelgianFalafel  

BelgianFalafel

Posted 05 August 2021 - 01:58 AM

Why not get a new account with the new ID?

#44659 SoulEdgeVII   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   766 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

SoulEdgeVII

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:51 AM

I've been banned since late January and when it happened I was sure I didn't go over any limits. Hoping the ban is lifted since it's August and I attempted trades in May and June.

#44660 crackadon  

crackadon

Posted 05 August 2021 - 08:18 AM

Ah, now it makes sense why you spend so much time here and have >15,000 posts. Thanks for providing your own personal experience.

You just murdered him FATALITY style, damn!

#44661 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAGiversary!   1184 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2021 - 09:59 AM

Same boat - escalated and didn't get an explanation or resolution. Both your ID and PUR account are likely flagged for trade ban, so you could try just doing a trade in with a new non-pro account and your existing ID, and if that doesn't work generate a new ID McLovin-style.  :-P Or just accept your fate and lurk the forums and only buy games you might actually want  :rofl:

Real dedication to flipping would be to move and legally change your name to Flip B. McRang and transition to another gender to get a new ID.  :shipfree:

#44662 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 05 August 2021 - 11:57 AM

I don’t think it has to do with id. If they weren’t willing or able to resolve it for you, you might be SOL. I suggest making a new account and see if you can trade that way.

This happened to me in fall of 2019.  I kept good records and never exceeded the trade value.  I think someone just didn't like that I was trading in so much, reported me, and a DM saw I was flipping games and banned me.  I kept calling CS and they'd say "3 months."  Well, every three months I'd try a trade, still banned.  CS kept saying 3 months.  2 years later, still banned.  

I created a new account.  I traded in once (4 games for about $60) then that account was banned later that day.  No IDs were used either.  I used a different email and phone number that had never been used with the prior account.

I now have to trade on a friends account.

#44663 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   24255 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:04 PM

Do the GS PUR certs still have a quarterly expiration date? I haven't redeemed any since late 2019/early 2020 and I think I remember the certs have expiration dates that were at the end of the quarter one I redeemed in early Dec expired Dec 31 and the one I redeemed in late Jan expired in Mar 31. 

#44664 dbonez  

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:34 PM

Do the GS PUR certs still have a quarterly expiration date? I haven't redeemed any since late 2019/early 2020 and I think I remember the certs have expiration dates that were at the end of the quarter one I redeemed in early Dec expired Dec 31 and the one I redeemed in late Jan expired in Mar 31. 

Yeah, I redeemed one yesterday and the exp date is 09/30

#44665 MSUHitman   former Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   15085 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2021 - 03:44 PM

Thought I was the only one that was thinking this... for a while, it was nice that they left you mostly alone but now it seems like they're back to trying to make a connection/be your buddy to make a sale.

I think corporate is forcing employees to hand out lists of upcoming releases to everyone that walks in. Whatever section someone goes to an employee is right behind with a preorder list pertinent to that section (Switch, XBox, Sony, PoP’s.)

I politely give it back to them saying “thanks, but save the paper I already know what’s coming out.”

#44666 Thrillh0  

Thrillh0

Posted 05 August 2021 - 04:34 PM

Has anyone else gotten one of these yet? I went in a store to trade some games in and got this card with my receipt. I'll be going back tonight or tomorrow with some more stuff to trade in. 

yubbgxp.jpg

#44667 briandadude   Vita + Xbox + Switch CAGiversary!   1494 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 05 August 2021 - 04:49 PM

Has anyone else gotten one of these yet? I went in a store to trade some games in and got this card with my receipt. I'll be going back tonight or tomorrow with some more stuff to trade in.

Gotta win that Snack and Play > https://www.gamestop...l?condition=New

"self-balancing, built-in gyroscope cup holder to help to prevent drinks from spilling"

#44668 fullmetal   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   422 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:03 PM

GS has Rift Apart pre-owned currently in stock

https://www.gamestop...ition=Pre-Owned

#44669 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:04 PM

I haven't traded in a while but I did see a box for a contest entry.  I'm the kind of person who would rather have a 10% off coupon than small odds of winning something chosen for me.

#44670 Lime  

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:12 PM

I went to trade in a PS5 game today (first time) and it got a 20% PUR extra credit instead of the usual 10% PUR extra credit. I was surprised because I was going off of the value online.