* * * * - 7 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#5311 filldoh1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   171 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 November 2018 - 10:04 PM

I used my $10 reward certificate from red dead on a $10 PSN card. It worked with no override in case anybody doesn’t have a game if they are looking for in the sale

#5312 audiomaxica1  

audiomaxica1

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:03 PM

Hmmm. I remember them working for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Same I thought the certs were fine back in Feb/March unless it wasn’t a pro day sale.

Anyway all you have to do is show them it’s not working and they’ll override no problem.

I would suggest maybe having them ring up one game you plan on using certs on to show them.

Employees dont usually know the sale price and automatically think 9.99 is the price of shadow of war after $10 certs when it should be free.

#5313 Omni99  

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:12 PM

I used my $10 reward certificate from red dead on a $10 PSN card. It worked with no override in case anybody doesn’t have a game if they are looking for in the sale

I was about to suggest the same thing.

Also, I bought Detroit day one and I liked it. It's definitely the pinnacle of this style of game from Cage. Your choices really do matter. You don't just get shoehorned into similar paths, and choices you don't think will make a big difference later on actually do.

#5314 Owlmanus   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   317 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:21 AM

Wow, so I was planning on getting Detroit Become Human Black Friday for 25

and God of War for 25, but now I think I'm changing my mind.

Pro Day flyer

https://www.gamestop.../ProDaysFSI.pdf

Reminder that Pro certs don't work on Pro day sales (new games).

Notable mention

Detroit Become Human - $19.99

#5315 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3485 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:28 AM

I don't think it's that the certs don't work, it's just that they come off whatever regular price is and then if there is still a difference between how much the cert took off and the discount, it deducts that difference (for example if God of War is $39.99 regular price and you use a $5 coupon, it takes $5 off and then deducts another $5 as a discount). Should work fine on non-sale items.

#5316 SnoT   Twat Twat? CAGiversary!   502 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:13 AM

Anyone have any info if GS will be offering a bonus trade in deal for consoles anytime soon? Have the original BattleFront Darth Vader console and was tempted to trade it towards a Pro.

#5317 davemoseley  

davemoseley

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:29 PM

On the app I have saved "guaranteed" trade values of $20 for Far Cry 5 XB1, and $22.50 for Lego Marvel 2 XB1.  The website shows each is worth about $7.  What's going to be the scenario when I go into the store later, just to prepare myself?

#5318 ritchardf  

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:32 PM

On the app I have saved "guaranteed" trade values of $20 for Far Cry 5 XB1, and $22.50 for Lego Marvel 2 XB1.  The website shows each is worth about $7.  What's going to be the scenario when I go into the store later, just to prepare myself?

laughter, lots of laughter

#5319 Neo Oracle  

Neo Oracle

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:01 PM

On the app I have saved "guaranteed" trade values of $20 for Far Cry 5 XB1, and $22.50 for Lego Marvel 2 XB1. The website shows each is worth about $7. What's going to be the scenario when I go into the store later, just to prepare myself?

Disappointment

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

#5320 JohnnyCage   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1166 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

JohnnyCage

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:20 PM

Would you like $7 store credit or $5 cash? Would you like to pre-order anything?

#5321 davemoseley  

davemoseley

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:26 PM

laughter, lots of laughter

Disappointment

Would you like $7 store credit or $5 cash? Would you like to pre-order anything?

mshckd.gif

#5322 CamperinaBush   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   834 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

CamperinaBush

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:24 PM

For anyone who preordered the Pokémon Switch, are y’all planning to do a return/rebuy in order to trade an old Switch or to use trade credit? I’ve never done this so I’m not sure how it works.

#5323 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10608 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:21 PM

I'm also in that debate stage as to whether or not I should trade my PS4 in for a Pro. I have the Uncharted Trilogy Bundle PS4, do they want the game included with it or doesn't it matter? I'm sure the trade in value for the game is likely something ridiculous like $3 or less. I never even used the black controller that came with the system so it's brand new.

The problem is that if I want to trade it in for Black Friday deals the price of the trade-in will go down. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony comes out with a Pro revision around E3 and probably in a smaller form like the original PS4. When you trade your PS4 in can you hold onto that credit or does it have to be used during the time of the trade-in? Thanks!

I've got the same dilemma do I dump my PS4 fat for a pro... No 4k TV yet

#5324 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:30 PM

I see this argument against getting the Pro all the time on here, and I wonder why no one knows about supersampling, which is a big deal for playing the PS4 Pro on an HD tv. There are also the benefits to higher/consistent frame rates on certain games. Not having a 4K tv is not a deal breaker by any means.

https://www.eurogame...for-1080p-users

#5325 Katsumi   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1533 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:32 PM

I don't have a 4K TV (Still rocking a 1080p plasma) and I'm glad I upgraded to the PS4 Pro last year. A lot of the "Pro Enhanced" games will still give you a benefit on 1080p (such as supersampling, higher FPS cap, better graphics, etc.). Some games have multiple options (like FF XV) and some games turn the options on automatically. I have found that some games load slightly faster (for example, my co-op Diablo 3 games seem to load ~2-3 seconds faster than my co-op partners, but that could just be coincidence).

I also use remote play sometimes on PC, which gives the option of 1080p with the PS4 Pro. And, of course, PSVR runs at higher graphical fidelity with the Pro.

#5326 MsterPanDa  

MsterPanDa

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:36 PM

If you don't have a 4K TV, I suggest just getting the 1TB Slim PS4. We don't know when the PS5 will come out but it will be in the next few years. The PS4 slim does everything better than the regular PS4 but the slim looks and feels cheap compared to the regular PS4. I would say when you get a 4K TV, then get the PS4 Pro by then it'll be discounted. Japan just recently announced a 2TB PS4 Pro for the regular Pro price but it hasn't made it to the States yet. Plus the new Pro models now have the same power cord as the PS4 slim. I see people saying Red Dead 2 has amazing graphics but if the game sucks, who cares how it looks. Don't get hyped by others saying this and that is better. Some people say the Pro is hard to find and if the console breaks, it'll be even harder to repair. 

#5327 bonesawisready   YES! YES! YES! CAGiversary!   1617 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

bonesawisready

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:57 PM

If you don't have a 4K TV, I suggest just getting the 1TB Slim PS4. We don't know when the PS5 will come out but it will be in the next few years. The PS4 slim does everything better than the regular PS4 but the slim looks and feels cheap compared to the regular PS4. I would say when you get a 4K TV, then get the PS4 Pro by then it'll be discounted. Japan just recently announced a 2TB PS4 Pro for the regular Pro price but it hasn't made it to the States yet. Plus the new Pro models now have the same power cord as the PS4 slim. I see people saying Red Dead 2 has amazing graphics but if the game sucks, who cares how it looks. Don't get hyped by others saying this and that is better. Some people say the Pro is hard to find and if the console breaks, it'll be even harder to repair.

Lol RDR2 by no means “sucks”. YMMV because games are subjective but it’s very good. Makes some design calls not everyone will like but it does those for a reason

#5328 elessar123  

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:13 PM

Have a Pro and no 4K TV either. Pretty much bought it right after the supersampling patch.

#5329 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   643 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:28 PM

Wow, so I was planning on getting Detroit Become Human Black Friday for 25
and God of War for 25, but now I think I'm changing my mind.

You aren’t required to wait, but Detroit will be 20 at BB on BF.

#5330 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10608 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:19 PM

I see this argument against getting the Pro all the time on here, and I wonder why no one knows about supersampling, which is a big deal for playing the PS4 Pro on an HD tv. There are also the benefits to higher/consistent frame rates on certain games. Not having a 4K tv is not a deal breaker by any means.

https://www.eurogame...for-1080p-users

Thanks for that I heard it and the slim run more efficiently than the fat.

#5331 Zilvik   CAG in Training CAG in Training   37 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:32 PM

I don't think it's that the certs don't work, it's just that they come off whatever regular price is and then if there is still a difference between how much the cert took off and the discount, it deducts that difference (for example if God of War is $39.99 regular price and you use a $5 coupon, it takes $5 off and then deducts another $5 as a discount). Should work fine on non-sale items.

So is there basically no point to saving my points for Black Friday to use on new items?

#5332 Royal High Knight   CAG's #1 Knucklehead CAGiversary!   5364 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Royal High Knight

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:39 PM

I too recently upgraded to a Pro and I can say it does make the games with super sampling a tad nicer looking. Unfortunately, Best Buy is the only place with a 4K TV for under $200, but you can bet your ass everyone and their grandmother is going straight for that tv come 5pm.

#5333 Viper X  

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:46 PM

So is there basically no point to saving my points for Black Friday to use on new items?

You can use your PUR certs on BF, it's just on Pro Day sales in the ad that don't work. I have used a $50 cert on a PS4 BF bundle a few years ago with no problems.

#5334 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:48 PM

Pretty much. Unless it is like something at regular price that comes with a free gift card like those Xbox consoles, maybe?

#5335 vantheman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1257 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:16 PM

Was there any sort of discount on rewards certificates last year for Black Friday? I have lots of points stockpiled but I figure it's probably worth waiting at this point just in case.

#5336 Rotondo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   74 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:18 PM

Was there any sort of discount on rewards certificates last year for Black Friday? I have lots of points stockpiled but I figure it's probably worth waiting at this point just in case.

There wasn't on last Black Friday/Cyber Monday, at least from what I remember.

#5337 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:26 PM

Nope

#5338 Agent Hero   Member, Thrift Shop All-Stars CAGiversary!   237 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Agent Hero

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:59 PM

Detroit Become Human at $19.99 is definitely the star of this ad, though I have to wonder if that is a BF preview price for other stores such as BB.

Another notable mention, they show the picture of the Friday the 13th Ultimate Slasher's Edition Collector's Edition (with the mask) at $19.99 but have the $39.99 price marked through, indicating that the picture is likely a mistake and they should have shown the standard edition.  Might be a price match possibility if they honor the ad's picture.

A few other notables, for me anyway:

Invisible Hours (PS4VR) - $9.99

Creed: Rise to Glory (PS4VR) - $19.99

Evil Within 2 (PS4, XB1) - $14.99

Mutant League Football (PS4, Switch, XB1) - $19.99

Mutant Football League is a fun game.  Most sports games listed seem to be within $5 of what their Black Friday price will be.  Screw it, I'll grab NHL now since no one seems to want to go down to $25 bucks with it.  Not sure why it drew the short straw for being the least discounted sports game on BF.

#5339 tribalnoise   Official Threadkiller CAGiversary!   1879 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

tribalnoise

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:10 PM

it didn't happen last year (i did the same thing you're doing) and with all the cutbacks on TIV promos so far this year, i'd say there's even less chance. if you see a good reason to use your points before BF, go for it.

#5340 SPORK94  

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:36 PM

Now here is the question: Should I dump my hoarded trades or wait?