* * * - - 5 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#8011 inkcil   Banception...Baseball Ban in a Best Buy CAGiversary!   1130 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:01 AM

I remember it. It was the same time as the video game day bump because I remember doing that purchase with the big TIV bump in Sept.  It stacked for me.

My apologies to ev'one I confused with my original post...I found my receipt and it was actually a 3 games $14.99 and under for $25, not $20.  My PUR did in fact stack with the discount at the time. 

#8012 Mishimaryu   EWGF! (f,N~d~d/f+2) CAGiversary!   1452 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Mishimaryu

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:40 PM

Damn yall still trade into GS? There are plenty of other options. Watching this clip the other day reminded me how bad GS was in first place...

#8013 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:37 PM

Damn yall still trade into GS? There are plenty of other options. Watching this clip the other day reminded me how bad GS was in first place...

If that's your attitude, you're in the wrong place

#8014 Alexpguy  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:17 PM

https://youtu.be/dfFiczr7uqg

YouTube keeps pushing me to watch this video, but I have yet to just based in principle. GameStop doesn't screw me over because I always have a plan before walking in and know what I'm doing. But yes, there recent $15 switch games have been an easy credit->cash+bonus move on eBay and OfferUp, it that's what it's talking about.

#8015 Maneru  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:21 PM

I ordered some stuff from the gamestop website and it arrived with a plastic bag inside with a coupon code printed on it but it doesn't say what the code does. Anyone know what the bag codes do?

#8016 fireeggzero   Gamer CAG in Training   29 Posts   Joined 1.6 Years Ago  

fireeggzero

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:22 PM

I ordered some stuff from the gamestop website and it arrived with a plastic bag inside with a coupon code printed on it but it doesn't say what the code does. Anyone know what the bag codes do?

20% trade in bonus

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#8017 DarkNut  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:22 PM

That guy is an asshat. If it's going that bad at that store take your stuff and leave. From the way it sounds he's from NY, I'm sure there's a PLETHORA of other stores around.

#8018 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:41 PM

20% trade in bonus

Nothing.  The codes wouldn't work

#8019 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36852 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:45 PM

Nothing.  The codes wouldn't work

When did you try them?

#8020 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:47 PM

When did you try them?

About a week ago.  The guy doing it was a manager at my usual store who tries to maximize my TiVs too.  He tried it a few different ways and got an error message

#8021 fireeggzero   Gamer CAG in Training   29 Posts   Joined 1.6 Years Ago  

fireeggzero

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:49 PM

About a week ago. The guy doing it was a manager at my usual store who tries to maximize my TiVs too. He tried it a few different ways and got an error message

A buddy of mine used it yesterday and it worked for him. I'd do it but I don't have anything to trade in atm...

#8022 dorath   Banned CAGiversary!   226 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:55 PM

this is awesome; i love this guy wont take responsibility for his actions. Why  buy the used ps4 if he didnt want one? Granted, they shouldnt have lied, but still.  Not checking your receipt--rookie mistake. If his buddy runs a GS, right down the street, why not go there in the first place?

#8023 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:59 PM

A buddy of mine used it yesterday and it worked for him. I'd do it but I don't have anything to trade in atm...

Did they have to manually add the 20%?  I'll be pissed if the code is suddenly working now.  I waited a few days after getting it too.  It would be just like GS to send out a coupon without any dates on it and not have it work yet

#8024 fireeggzero   Gamer CAG in Training   29 Posts   Joined 1.6 Years Ago  

fireeggzero

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:01 PM

Did they have to manually add the 20%? I'll be pissed if the code is suddenly working now. I waited a few days after getting it too. It would be just like GS to send out a coupon without any dates on it and not have it work yet

Yup the scan didn't work so they manually typed it in. Maybe it started yesterday?

#8025 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:03 PM

Yup the scan didn't work so they manually typed it in. Maybe it started yesterday?

Well the scan didnt work for me either so he manually typed the codes.  It still didn't work.  I was asking if they had to manually add the dollar amounts, but you answered that.

#8026 sonicguile  

sonicguile

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

Typical newbie!  I don't blame GS screwing because he is an idiot. He obviously doesn't jack even though he worked in GS.  Big mistake to trade an used PS3 system and games when there are no trade bonuses.  And he bought an used PS4, only a dumbass will buy a system used.  

this is awesome; i love this guy wont take responsibility for his actions. Why  buy the used ps4 if he didnt want one? Granted, they shouldnt have lied, but still.  Not checking your receipt--rookie mistake. If his buddy runs a GS, right down the street, why not go there in the first place?

#8027 SueMana  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:51 PM

Gamestop sent a survey asking about changing the Pro membership to remove the 10% preowned discount for 30 points per dollar spent. 

Here is the email I removed my details.
"Tell us what you think" is the subject.

#8028 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:43 PM

Gamestop sent a survey asking about changing the Pro membership to remove the 10% preowned discount for 30 points per dollar spent. 

Here is the email I removed my details.
"Tell us what you think" is the subject.

Who the hell would ever spend $15 for that?  I can't believe they actually paid a survey company to put that together.

#8029 Renzler   Dude CAG Veteran   942 Posts   Joined 0.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:20 PM

Who the hell would ever spend $15 for that? I can't believe they actually paid a survey company to put that together.

But what about all the awesome pro days????

Used to be worth $15 just for the b2g1 coupon, but not as much anymore.

#8030 ec91762  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:22 PM

This was my survey. I think it would be worth it if the points stacked up and didnt eexpire

#8031 bob330i   just lookin' CAGiversary!   3483 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:31 PM

This was my survey. I think it would be worth it if the points stacked up and didnt eexpire

Points don't really expire as you only have to do one purchase/trade within a 12 month period to avoid points being removed.

Given points aren't really worth much anymore (minimal physical stuff), I would balk at moving the 10% discount to additional points.

#8032 WWF   Games Jandolfini & Bobby Balaklava CAGiversary!   966 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:32 PM

Since they raised games to $57 when Elite was advertised, maybe they’re hoping to get rid of the 10% promise in order to have a more ideal $49.99 base pre owned price that’d attract more of the ignorant, non-member soccer mom types into buying used instead of new.

#8033 Omni99  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 10:05 PM

At the beginning of the video, I felt bad for the guy. By the end I felt bad for the employees that had to deal with him. Something tells me from my own retail experience that things probably didn't go down exactly the way he says either.

As for the points thing, if I'm understanding it right, then the discount is worth far, far more than the extra points are.

#8034 kraftwerks   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1199 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

kraftwerks

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:45 PM

I didn't and won't click the video. 

But the reason that he did all this stuff that seems really dumb to do, was so that he could make a video about it and get views. 

There's been a rash of youtubes picking on Gamestop lately because it's an easy target to bitch about and people will click and watch the videos.

Low hanging fruit, if you will. 

#8035 willworkforbits   Mark CAG in Training   44 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

willworkforbits

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:34 AM

Gamestop is like that weird friend you've got.  Maybe most people don't like him/her.  But you see something inside that makes it all worth it.  Like any store, if you handle the relationship well and bide your time, you can get some great deals there.  

But also - trades are mostly RIP now and my Elite expires in a couple of months, so maybe this friendship is on the rocks.  :(

#8036 Jhingles  

Jhingles

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:06 AM

If they do away with the pro discount I truly wish the associates luck trying to sell it to people. Sky high preowned prices, trash tier trade values and a single $5 off cert a month sounds like a bad deal to me.

#8037 addicted2games   游戏玩家为生活 !! CAGiversary!   3857 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

addicted2games

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:15 AM

Remember, there are two seperate companies looking to buy them out next month. If it does happen, anything could change in the future. I look forward to all the GS bullshit to end if the new owner does things right. Of course, nothing could change for awhile even if they are bought out.

#8038 The Questyen   Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats CAGiversary!   2524 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

The Questyen

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:19 AM

It's more likely that who ever buys them out doubles down on the GS bullshit. 

#8039 ssablain   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   101 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

ssablain

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:21 AM

My brother just got a Wii to play with his daughters. I have never owned a Wii so I have never looked for their controllers before. With as old as they are thirty dollars seems pretty high. Do they ever go on sale? How are the off brand controllers? Is there anywhere else to look besides local sellers because I haven’t been able to find any that way. Thanks

#8040 Rotondo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   68 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:52 AM

My brother just got a Wii to play with his daughters. I have never owned a Wii so I have never looked for their controllers before. With as old as they are thirty dollars seems pretty high. Do they ever go on sale? How are the off brand controllers? Is there anywhere else to look besides local sellers because I haven’t been able to find any that way. Thanks

They are relatively common at thrift stores, in the range of 2-5 dollars each.

You can also buy them on ebay for much cheaper than gamestop, however you have to navigate through the sea of fake controllers which can be a bit annoying.