* * * * - 15 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#9841 WarGames92  

WarGames92

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:45 AM

I just came across a copy of Super Mario All-Stars for Wii at my local walmart, and I know there were trade bumps for some older games based on the talk here, but I hadn't paid attention to any of it while it was active. I see the current base value is $8.

Does anyone know if this game saw a bump this past weekend, what it's value was, and if it's likely to see a bump again in the future? Trying to decide if it's worth getting at $14.

After the bump on certain Wii games this past weekend, I would hold onto it at least until next month's SB.  The manager at one of the local stores told me they've had a huge resurgence in demand for Wii games, which makes me think we'll likely see a handful of key ones that used to be perennial big traders (Kart, New Super Mario Bros, Sports and Sports Resort, etc) pop up on SB weekends.  The guy who owns a local mom and pop game shop said Wii Sports is by far the Wii game that gets the most requests at his shop.  I guess a lot of people pick up used Wiis from people who had pitched the pack-in game. 

#9842 WarGames92  

WarGames92

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:49 AM

So thanks to local Walmart stores going Clearance crazy, my points are getting crazy high - I'm at over 225k right now, and I expect that to jump tomorrow once some Monday trades are factored in.  Am I at risk for drawing attention to myself if I don't spend some of them?  I had planned to use a ton on the Mar10 sale for digital games, but then the eShop was excluded from that sale.

#9843 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14653 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:39 AM

So thanks to local Walmart stores going Clearance crazy, my points are getting crazy high - I'm at over 225k right now, and I expect that to jump tomorrow once some Monday trades are factored in. Am I at risk for drawing attention to myself if I don't spend some of them? I had planned to use a ton on the Mar10 sale for digital games, but then the eShop was excluded from that sale.

I would watch your account once a day to make sure someone doesn’t hack in & cash the points out.

#9844 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1879 Posts   Joined 1.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:55 AM

I would watch your account once a day to make sure someone doesn’t hack in & cash the points out.

Yeah I was sitting on 250k points and I blew through 160k of it in 3 days just to be safe. If there's nothing you want then try find some points to credit movers. Somebody mentioned M+R.

#9845 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1879 Posts   Joined 1.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:56 AM

As far as Wii games go, didn't Wii shop just close? Now the only way to get these games is physical.

#9846 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:09 AM

Can’t you buy both digital and physical gift cards with points? Everything from Nintendo to Hone Depot?

If so, seems like a good way to reduce your point total.

#9847 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:14 AM

Can’t you buy both digital and physical gift cards with points? Everything from Nintendo to Hone Depot?

Not in the app.  Not sure where you're seeing that

#9848 Lumas101  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:47 AM

Is it possible to use a $5 off preowned certificate along with the four for $20 promo to get four games for $15 or is it kind of like using it with a B2G1 where it screws up the values and you don't save anything?

#9849 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:51 AM

Is it possible to use a $5 off preowned certificate along with the four for $20 promo to get four games for $15 or is it kind of like using it with a B2G1 where it screws up the values and you don't save anything?

Coupons only work for one item, and come off before other discounts, so it would knock a $9.99 to $4.99 and you'll still end up paying $20. And no, you can't knock a $14.99 game down to $9.99 with the coupon to have it active the 4 for $20 deal.

#9850 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:54 AM

Not in the app.  Not sure where you're seeing that

You can buy eShop, XBL, and PSN digital currency in-store only with reward certificates. You cannot buy any other gift cards with reward certificates.  

#9851 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:00 PM

So thanks to local Walmart stores going Clearance crazy, my points are getting crazy high - I'm at over 225k right now, and I expect that to jump tomorrow once some Monday trades are factored in.  Am I at risk for drawing attention to myself if I don't spend some of them?  I had planned to use a ton on the Mar10 sale for digital games, but then the eShop was excluded from that sale.

I've had well over a million active points in my account for a long time in the past. I'm sure many others on this forum have/had more than that. You should be fine. It is just annoying when sales associates yell out loud how many points you have.  Also consider that GameStop may not be around very long or may not make good on points if they restructure to attempt to save themselves.   

#9852 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1879 Posts   Joined 1.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:34 PM

The attention that you will get is store associates making comments about your points every time you buy something. The account itself won't draw attention because of that though.

This. And all the fears from a couple people having their account hacked.

Even after you use your points you'll still have the "you saved $x this year" on your receipts. I had one employee loudly say my number and ask me how I did it in a crowded store on Black Friday in a bad neighborhood. My number was around $6,000. It got a little uncomfortable.

#9853 Vigilante   Let the Battles Begin CAGiversary!   37494 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:39 PM

Even after you use your points you'll still have the "you saved $x this year" on your receipts. I had one employee loudly say my number and ask me how I did it in a crowded store on Black Friday in a bad neighborhood. My number was around $6,000. It got a little uncomfortable.

I hope you filled out a negative survey for that employee; I hate when someone pulls that crap.

#9854 Jhingles  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:44 PM

Banking massive points like that also makes them more likely to remember you. I used most of my points recently and went to a store I hadn't been to in over a year. The mod instantly recognized me as 'the guy with 450k points'. It was worth it to me to cash them out just so I didn't have to keep having my balances exclaimed out loud constantly.

#9855 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:13 PM

What about it being a bad neighborhood made you uncomfortable?  It's not like they said "This guy has $100s of dollars in cash in his wallet!!"

Side note: Those Gamestops are great for entertainment.  I always see people bringing the most random stuff in trying to trade.  The last time I was in one in North Philly I saw a guy trying to trade in one of those fake Chinese PSP things.

#9856 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:22 PM

Also, don't say your phone number out loud in a store... Someone can easily type it down/record it. Thankfully, they changed the CC swipe to accept phone #s for your account. Some stores bypass that to get your phone number to put into the iPad, but insist you want to type it in yourself. Certificates can't be purchased through the store, but strangers can redeem any coupons or certificates on your account if they have your phone # and most sales associates will not question them.

#9857 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1879 Posts   Joined 1.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:32 PM

Also, don't say your phone number out loud in a store... Someone can easily type it down/record it. Thankfully, they changed the CC swipe to accept phone #s for your account. Some stores bypass that to get your phone number to put into the iPad, but insist you want to type it in yourself. Certificates can't be purchased through the store, but strangers can redeem any coupons or certificates on your account if they have your phone # and most sales associates will not question them.

Agreed. I get uncomfortable about this, so I usually just hold out my PUR card so they can scan it.

#9858 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1879 Posts   Joined 1.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:35 PM

What about it being a bad neighborhood made you uncomfortable? It's not like they said "This guy has $100s of dollars in cash in his wallet!!"

True, I just don't like attention. I was driving around with several hundred dollars worth of games in my car, so I get uncomfortable about the attention, but that's just part of the game.

#9859 DoubleDam21  

DoubleDam21

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:45 PM

What about it being a bad neighborhood made you uncomfortable?  It's not like they said "This guy has $100s of dollars in cash in his wallet!!"

Not OP but I would be uncomfortable as well as its personal information and would rather not have anyone else know especially out of someone else's mouth as its my own business. 

#9860 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:40 PM

The worst is when they loudly exclaim how much $$$ you currently have on your trade card...

#9861 johnnymavrik   The Evil Genius CAGiversary!   733 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

johnnymavrik

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:30 PM

Are pre-order reservations locked to a GS store? Say I put $10 down on Sekiro but now want to move it back onto a GC...do I have to do that at the store I reserved it at? Or can any GS make that change?

#9862 xelement5x   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   75 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

xelement5x

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:31 PM

Agreed. I get uncomfortable about this, so I usually just hold out my PUR card so they can scan it.

Yeah I always use the card as well. I hate giving out personal info in a crowded store. Yesterday I was trading in a game and the dude was gesturing and pointing at things in the store while holding my driver's license. I didn't say anything but it was still a bit frustrating to me to see it happen and treat it disrespectfully.

#9863 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14653 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:32 PM

Are pre-order reservations locked to a GS store? Say I put $10 down on Sekiro but now want to move it back onto a GC...do I have to do that at the store I reserved it at? Or can any GS make that change?

You have to go to where the reserve is.

#9864 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

You can buy eShop, XBL, and PSN digital currency in-store only with reward certificates. You cannot buy any other gift cards with reward certificates.

Ok, I guess it’s trade credit you can buy those other gift cards with.

You can also use points to buy the cards you mentioned on the website, but not the app.

#9865 johnnymavrik   The Evil Genius CAGiversary!   733 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

johnnymavrik

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

You have to go to where the reserve is.

Thanks. It's a walk of shame no doubt. 😁

#9866 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:40 PM

Not OP but I would be uncomfortable as well as its personal information and would rather not have anyone else know especially out of someone else's mouth as its my own business. 

It sounds like you'd be uncomfortable with that anywhere, whereas OP specifically mentioned the bad neighborhood as part of the equation.  I just don't understand how the location of the store would make a difference with this situation.  That was what I pointed out.

#9867 DoubleDam21  

DoubleDam21

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:47 PM

It sounds like you'd be uncomfortable with that anywhere, whereas OP specifically mentioned the bad neighborhood as part of the equation.  I just don't understand how the location of the store would make a difference with this situation.  That was what I pointed out.

Ah OK sorry I misunderstood but your right.

#9868 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1879 Posts   Joined 1.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:35 PM

It sounds like you'd be uncomfortable with that anywhere, whereas OP specifically mentioned the bad neighborhood as part of the equation. I just don't understand how the location of the store would make a difference with this situation. That was what I pointed out.

Why do people nitpick so much.

To be clear, I didn't say it only mattered because of the bad neighborhood. It was a fact. You see to have an issue with my observation and recollection of that fact. Not my problem.

#9869 miamiheatnumber32   Won’t suck discord dick CAG in Training   46 Posts   Joined 2.8 Years Ago  

miamiheatnumber32

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:06 PM

I have noticed the GameStop’s in bad areas aka high crime do not let me use their restroom. Where the GameStop’s in nicer areas have no problem letting me use the restroom.

#9870 Tax   The Project CAGiversary!   201 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:07 PM

This is hilarious.