* * * * - 12 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#10051 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1791 Posts   Joined 1.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:56 AM

As far as Wii games go, didn't Wii shop just close? Now the only way to get these games is physical.

#10052 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:09 AM

Can’t you buy both digital and physical gift cards with points? Everything from Nintendo to Hone Depot?

If so, seems like a good way to reduce your point total.

#10053 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:14 AM

Can’t you buy both digital and physical gift cards with points? Everything from Nintendo to Hone Depot?

Not in the app.  Not sure where you're seeing that

#10054 Lumas101  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:47 AM

Is it possible to use a $5 off preowned certificate along with the four for $20 promo to get four games for $15 or is it kind of like using it with a B2G1 where it screws up the values and you don't save anything?

#10055 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:51 AM

Is it possible to use a $5 off preowned certificate along with the four for $20 promo to get four games for $15 or is it kind of like using it with a B2G1 where it screws up the values and you don't save anything?

Coupons only work for one item, and come off before other discounts, so it would knock a $9.99 to $4.99 and you'll still end up paying $20. And no, you can't knock a $14.99 game down to $9.99 with the coupon to have it active the 4 for $20 deal.

#10056 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 20 March 2019 - 11:54 AM

Not in the app.  Not sure where you're seeing that

You can buy eShop, XBL, and PSN digital currency in-store only with reward certificates. You cannot buy any other gift cards with reward certificates.  

#10057 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:00 PM

So thanks to local Walmart stores going Clearance crazy, my points are getting crazy high - I'm at over 225k right now, and I expect that to jump tomorrow once some Monday trades are factored in.  Am I at risk for drawing attention to myself if I don't spend some of them?  I had planned to use a ton on the Mar10 sale for digital games, but then the eShop was excluded from that sale.

I've had well over a million active points in my account for a long time in the past. I'm sure many others on this forum have/had more than that. You should be fine. It is just annoying when sales associates yell out loud how many points you have.  Also consider that GameStop may not be around very long or may not make good on points if they restructure to attempt to save themselves.   

#10058 Omni99  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:12 PM

So thanks to local Walmart stores going Clearance crazy, my points are getting crazy high - I'm at over 225k right now, and I expect that to jump tomorrow once some Monday trades are factored in.  Am I at risk for drawing attention to myself if I don't spend some of them?  I had planned to use a ton on the Mar10 sale for digital games, but then the eShop was excluded from that sale.

The attention that you will get is store associates making comments about your points every time you buy something. The account itself won't draw attention because of that though.

You can, you just can't buy Amazon, Ebay, Shell gas, Visa, and now Uber is excluded too I think (haven't been able to double check that one but I tries last time I no longer could.). But Fandango, restaurant cards, Home Depot and stuff are good.

You can buy eShop, XBL, and PSN digital currency in-store only with reward certificates. You cannot buy any other gift cards with reward certificates.  

No, it works with the cards I listed above too.

#10059 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1791 Posts   Joined 1.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:34 PM

The attention that you will get is store associates making comments about your points every time you buy something. The account itself won't draw attention because of that though.

This. And all the fears from a couple people having their account hacked.

Even after you use your points you'll still have the "you saved $x this year" on your receipts. I had one employee loudly say my number and ask me how I did it in a crowded store on Black Friday in a bad neighborhood. My number was around $6,000. It got a little uncomfortable.

#10060 Vigilante   Hold On to That Hatred CAGiversary!   37128 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 01:39 PM

Even after you use your points you'll still have the "you saved $x this year" on your receipts. I had one employee loudly say my number and ask me how I did it in a crowded store on Black Friday in a bad neighborhood. My number was around $6,000. It got a little uncomfortable.

I hope you filled out a negative survey for that employee; I hate when someone pulls that crap.

#10061 Jhingles  

Jhingles

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:44 PM

Banking massive points like that also makes them more likely to remember you. I used most of my points recently and went to a store I hadn't been to in over a year. The mod instantly recognized me as 'the guy with 450k points'. It was worth it to me to cash them out just so I didn't have to keep having my balances exclaimed out loud constantly.

#10062 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:13 PM

What about it being a bad neighborhood made you uncomfortable?  It's not like they said "This guy has $100s of dollars in cash in his wallet!!"

Side note: Those Gamestops are great for entertainment.  I always see people bringing the most random stuff in trying to trade.  The last time I was in one in North Philly I saw a guy trying to trade in one of those fake Chinese PSP things.

#10063 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:22 PM

Also, don't say your phone number out loud in a store... Someone can easily type it down/record it. Thankfully, they changed the CC swipe to accept phone #s for your account. Some stores bypass that to get your phone number to put into the iPad, but insist you want to type it in yourself. Certificates can't be purchased through the store, but strangers can redeem any coupons or certificates on your account if they have your phone # and most sales associates will not question them.

#10064 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1791 Posts   Joined 1.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:32 PM

Also, don't say your phone number out loud in a store... Someone can easily type it down/record it. Thankfully, they changed the CC swipe to accept phone #s for your account. Some stores bypass that to get your phone number to put into the iPad, but insist you want to type it in yourself. Certificates can't be purchased through the store, but strangers can redeem any coupons or certificates on your account if they have your phone # and most sales associates will not question them.

Agreed. I get uncomfortable about this, so I usually just hold out my PUR card so they can scan it.

#10065 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1791 Posts   Joined 1.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:35 PM

What about it being a bad neighborhood made you uncomfortable? It's not like they said "This guy has $100s of dollars in cash in his wallet!!"

True, I just don't like attention. I was driving around with several hundred dollars worth of games in my car, so I get uncomfortable about the attention, but that's just part of the game.

#10066 DoubleDam21  

DoubleDam21

Posted 20 March 2019 - 03:45 PM

What about it being a bad neighborhood made you uncomfortable?  It's not like they said "This guy has $100s of dollars in cash in his wallet!!"

Not OP but I would be uncomfortable as well as its personal information and would rather not have anyone else know especially out of someone else's mouth as its my own business. 

#10067 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:40 PM

The worst is when they loudly exclaim how much $$$ you currently have on your trade card...

#10068 johnnymavrik   The Evil Genius CAGiversary!   534 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

johnnymavrik

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:30 PM

Are pre-order reservations locked to a GS store? Say I put $10 down on Sekiro but now want to move it back onto a GC...do I have to do that at the store I reserved it at? Or can any GS make that change?

#10069 xelement5x   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   36 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

xelement5x

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:31 PM

Agreed. I get uncomfortable about this, so I usually just hold out my PUR card so they can scan it.

Yeah I always use the card as well. I hate giving out personal info in a crowded store. Yesterday I was trading in a game and the dude was gesturing and pointing at things in the store while holding my driver's license. I didn't say anything but it was still a bit frustrating to me to see it happen and treat it disrespectfully.

#10070 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14495 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:32 PM

Are pre-order reservations locked to a GS store? Say I put $10 down on Sekiro but now want to move it back onto a GC...do I have to do that at the store I reserved it at? Or can any GS make that change?

You have to go to where the reserve is.

#10071 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

Ok, I guess it’s trade credit you can buy those other gift cards with.

You can also use points to buy the cards you mentioned on the website, but not the app.

#10072 johnnymavrik   The Evil Genius CAGiversary!   534 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

johnnymavrik

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

You have to go to where the reserve is.

Thanks. It's a walk of shame no doubt. 😁

#10073 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:40 PM

Not OP but I would be uncomfortable as well as its personal information and would rather not have anyone else know especially out of someone else's mouth as its my own business. 

It sounds like you'd be uncomfortable with that anywhere, whereas OP specifically mentioned the bad neighborhood as part of the equation.  I just don't understand how the location of the store would make a difference with this situation.  That was what I pointed out.

#10074 DoubleDam21  

DoubleDam21

Posted 20 March 2019 - 06:47 PM

It sounds like you'd be uncomfortable with that anywhere, whereas OP specifically mentioned the bad neighborhood as part of the equation.  I just don't understand how the location of the store would make a difference with this situation.  That was what I pointed out.

Ah OK sorry I misunderstood but your right.

#10075 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1791 Posts   Joined 1.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:35 PM

It sounds like you'd be uncomfortable with that anywhere, whereas OP specifically mentioned the bad neighborhood as part of the equation. I just don't understand how the location of the store would make a difference with this situation. That was what I pointed out.

Why do people nitpick so much.

To be clear, I didn't say it only mattered because of the bad neighborhood. It was a fact. You see to have an issue with my observation and recollection of that fact. Not my problem.

#10076 miamiheatnumber32   Won’t suck discord dick CAG in Training   46 Posts   Joined 2.2 Years Ago  

miamiheatnumber32

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:06 PM

I have noticed the GameStop’s in bad areas aka high crime do not let me use their restroom. Where the GameStop’s in nicer areas have no problem letting me use the restroom.

#10077 Tax   The Project CAGiversary!   186 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:07 PM

This is hilarious.

#10078 gldndomer  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:14 PM

I have noticed the GameStop’s in bad areas aka high crime do not let me use their restroom. Where the GameStop’s in nicer areas have no problem letting me use the restroom.

I don't like using GS restrooms because the employee always asks if I want a warranty with it.

#10079 miamiheatnumber32   Won’t suck discord dick CAG in Training   46 Posts   Joined 2.2 Years Ago  

miamiheatnumber32

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:15 PM

https://www.bloomber...reatens-console

GameStop stock the lowest it’s been in 14 years, now is the the time to buy!

#10080 Omni99  

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:17 PM

Regardless of the neighborhood, I've had all these things happen to me (points exclaimed out loud, large trade credit announcements, "Wow, you've saved a jillion dollars this year!", etc) and I think we all hate it. Oh, and I can add to that list now..."How did you manage to get elite Pro until 20XX?!"