* * * * - 11 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#11911 coolduck   super cool duck CAGiversary!   375 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago  

coolduck

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:43 PM

the point is its going to cause me to buy LESS games at gamestop and of those few games the percentage of them being pre-owned will be SMALLER

i dont really see why this is good for business unless theyre convinced none of their customers will actually use the membership yet pay for it anyway

#11912 aircobra   The Wind CAGiversary!   2665 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:10 PM

I would think the majority of their customers don't have a paid membership.

#11913 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:44 PM

I would think the majority of their customers don't have a paid membership.

I hear so many people get convinced to sign up for a membership at the PoS.  "If you pay $15 for our membership, you'll save $X on this transaction, get a coupon emailed to you for B2G1, and 10% off on all future games for the next year."

And quite frankly, most of them probably forget to even use it again or change their phone number.

#11914 knothead65  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:56 PM

I got my 2 switch games from the buy one get one 50% sale, ordered Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Mario Odyssey. Got 2 nice original cases that look almost new but the Mario kart case had Mario Odyssey in it too. My kids really wanted Mario Kart, what are my options? Can I return to a store that has Mario kart?

#11915 westcoaststyle   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   367 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

westcoaststyle

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:58 PM

I got my 2 switch games from the buy one get one 50% sale, ordered Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Mario Odyssey. Got 2 nice original cases that look almost new but the Mario kart case had Mario Odyssey in it too. My kids really wanted Mario Kart, what are my options? Can I return to a store that has Mario kart?

Yeah, just bring it to a store that has Mario Kart in stock and they should be able to swap it out no problem (bring your receipt or packing slip with you).

#11916 Kaiser499   Gaming Guru CAGiversary!   4079 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:15 PM

I don't see the point in becoming a pro member anymore.

#11917 Omni99  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 10:56 PM

More details from comicbook.com..

"Update: GameStop shared additional details with us about the new Pro benefit. Testing for the perk will begin on June 2nd and will take place in 74 stores. A GameStop spokesperson said the objective is to “Create a stronger benefit that appeals broadly to all PowerUp Rewards members, including those that buy digital, collectibles, or choose to buy only new products.” This new incentive will give “gamers of all types” the chance to “choose how they want to be rewarded.”

The test is the result of consumer research which showed the new benefit was more appealing than the 10% discount, GameStop said.

“New benefit appeal tested higher than current 10% off pre-owned games and accessories benefit, which is why we want to further test this promotion to ensure customers are receiving full value with this program,” a spokesperson said in a statement.

GameStop also addressed the apparent price increase for the Pro membership that's shown on the site. “We are testing three different versions of PowerUp Rewards - all three removing the 10% PO games and accessories discount and replacing it with $5/month coupon," GameStop said. "2 test cells are $14.99 and 1 is $19.99." "

I guarantee that they are BSing about it testing better. Either they are lying, manipulating numbers, or got people to misunderstand the surveys. Response to this program beta has been almost 100% negative, with most people calling it the end of the store if implemented.

#11918 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6717 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 11:24 PM

Do customers get Power Up Rewards points for purchases made with gift cards?  I bought $25 worth of Nintendo eShop and Xbox Live gift cards with a $25 GameStop gift card yesterday, and I haven't seen the points post yet.  Thanks to anyone who can answer this question.

#11919 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:01 AM

Do customers get Power Up Rewards points for purchases made with gift cards?  I bought $25 worth of Nintendo eShop and Xbox Live gift cards with a $25 GameStop gift card yesterday, and I haven't seen the points post yet.  Thanks to anyone who can answer this question.

Yes. Points can take a few days to post. Sometimes as long as 3 days.

#11920 mojoaoe  

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:21 AM

When does that summer trade 6 games get 50% credit usually happen?

#11921 Jhingles  

Jhingles

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:29 AM

Never.

#11922 the_red_tide  

the_red_tide

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:52 AM

Closer to the fourth of July

#11923 Neo Oracle  

Neo Oracle

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:15 AM

Damn. I'm done with GS. They're going under. The changes to the pro plans are fucking stupid. I have trade credit that I want to spend but I'm 800 points short of getting a $10 off online purchase coupon. I want to use cag16 that's why I want the online coupon.

#11924 Neo Oracle  

Neo Oracle

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:23 AM

As mentioned in previous posts.

960x300_Memorial_Rewards_Cash.jpg

Thanks for this. I'll wait to spend my trade credit.

#11925 jbg87   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   407 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2019 - 05:47 AM

I don’t remember them doing it last year...I remember everyone on here waiting for it and it never happened.

Summer 2017 is when it was poppin made out with so much n so many games lol there was a buy 2 get 1 at the same time as a stealth bump at the same time as a trade in 6 games.

#11926 mojoaoe  

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:54 AM

My elite pro runs till July 1st. Hopefully they do the 50% thing then so I can bust out a ton of credit one last time as it rides off into the sunset. Good times. Highly doubt I’ll renew to pro. If not 50% I’d settle for scac.

I don’t remember them doing it last year...I remember everyone on here waiting for it and it never happened.

Summer 2017 is when it was poppin made out with so much n so many games lol there was a buy 2 get 1 at the same time as a stealth bump at the same time as a trade in 6 games.

#11927 tangytangerine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4068 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

tangytangerine

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:51 AM

If this goes through, unless it's $5 cheaper than Amazon, I'm probably not bothering with games from them anymore.  The 10% off used games has been main part of the program for nearly 20 years and now they want to get rid of it.  Besides the B2G1 coupon when you renew, the discount was the only thing worth it.  

Couldn't give a crap about the Game Informer magazine, as the magazine puts most of the stuff in it online before people get the newest issue.   Wonder when that will be on the chopping block when Gamestop is looking to cut more costs?

So unless it's something other than "mwtmay19", there's still no bump list yet, which is...concerning.

Yeah, it's making me wonder if they're getting rid of the monthly most wanted TIV bump.

#11928 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 22 May 2019 - 10:44 AM

Nothing will ever top that summer weekend in 2015.  $72 for Pikmin 3.  $56 for Fire Emblem Awakening.  What a time to have been alive.

#11929 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   494 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:26 AM

Nothing will ever top that summer weekend in 2015. $72 for Pikmin 3. $56 for Fire Emblem Awakening. What a time to have been alive.

I would vote for the top tier $59 switch games ...i had a stack and it was great times.

#11930 intelligentidiot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   921 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

intelligentidiot

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:02 PM

It happened end of June last year, so likely June/July timeframe if the pattern holds.

#11931 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4097 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:44 PM

I prefer the $5 reward certs over the 10% discount on used games, but it's really not enough to get me to renew Pro again next year. The most valuable aspect of being a Pro member to me is getting the points to use towards certs. Nothing will ever be as good as GCU was and while I don't think Gamestop could afford a 20% discount on new games, I believe they could offer something like a 10% discount to Pro Members on new and used games along with a monthly $5 cert.

Currently trying to use my B2G1 coupon from renewing Pro before it expires. Found a used copy of Days Gone at one store and now I just need to find a copy of Rage 2 and something else to take advantage of the coupon. 

#11932 Bezerker   Bezerker Barrage! CAGiversary!   6991 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:25 PM

From what one of the managers in my area told me, under the new program every game would just be 10% cheaper whether you had a membership or not, but I talked to a couple others and they said they hadn't heard that.  Considering that would've been a thing for corporate to put in their promotions for the new program, I'm guessing the 10% for all wasn't true.  My entire district is testing the program so I guess I'll see in a few weeks.  

#11933 ritchardf  

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:29 PM

From what one of the managers in my area told me, under the new program every game would just be 10% cheaper whether you had a membership or not, but I talked to a couple others and they said they hadn't heard that.  Considering that would've been a thing for corporate to put in their promotions for the new program, I'm guessing the 10% for all wasn't true.  My entire district is testing the program so I guess I'll see in a few weeks.  

yeah, sounds the BS best buy feeds us, "when we get rid of GCU, all the prices will be lower"

#11934 Omni99  

Posted 22 May 2019 - 01:51 PM

Also fun to note that the Gamestop reddit has banned any talk about the new program. So even the employees there can't vent about how in the world they are supposed to sell the Pro card now without the discounts.

#11935 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:05 PM

Also fun to note that the Gamestop reddit has banned any talk about the new program. So even the employees there can't vent about how in the world they are supposed to sell the Pro card now without the discounts.

A Note about Test Programs
renderTimingPixel.png

As there are always multiple tests running all the time, all over the country we do not allow posts about them until they are on a company-wide rollout. Many things change from test to test, area to area, and the tests are used to determine what works best for both the guest and the company.

By discussing what is in one test that may be completely different from another test it can lead to confusion from all parties involved and leads to a spread of misinformation.

In the end, things change all the time, that's what happens, adapt and change. Once a rollout of any program happens, feel free to discuss.

#11936 jbg87   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   407 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:18 PM

This the internet people should be able to talk about what they want

Everyone hates it that’s why they don’t want them to post about it to stop backlash.

#11937 humbug43  

humbug43

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:33 PM

Gamestop will go under soon enough. Sucks lots of people will lose there jobs. But the writing is on the wall for them. Used games were their bread and butter and that's dieing with the rise of digetal sales.

#11938 donkeys2005   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   83 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

donkeys2005

Posted 22 May 2019 - 04:46 PM

Lol banning freedom of speech on the internet should be fun. They know how hard the backlash will be they shouldnt even attempt this program.

#11939 Nesmaniac   8 bit heaven CAGiversary!   1362 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Nesmaniac

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:42 PM

2ds New Super Mario Bros 2 edition (or any 2ds I think) with choice of free game $79.99 at gamestop. Exp 5/26. I'd be all over it if I didn't already have a sealed one along with the Zelda 2ds sealed. Loving the switch in handheld mode though so no time for anything else but PS4 and retro gaming.

#11940 Rotondo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   95 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:53 PM

For anyone curious about the 2DS deal:

https://www.gamestop...9#bonusFeatures

Appears to be these ones only:

https://www.gamestop...89410 or 189412