* * * * - 11 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#14461 macontosh2000   Dirty Scumbag CAGiversary!   865 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

macontosh2000

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:45 AM

If it's PS4, it really doesn't matter. Heck, it's more authentic, am I right?

It’s Xbox, and it seems to work. But if I want to trade it in later I won’t be able to unless I get a “non observant” employee.

#14462 Dgaart   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   25 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:17 AM

<rant>
All of three my b2g1 3DS games came without cases. I also noticed that in my nearest store very few of the 3DS games have cases, they are all just the cartridges in a glass display. I read on a post in the GameStop Reddit that some stores are just trashing all of the cases for used 3DS games to fit them in said displays to “save space.”

And these are collectible, more expensive JRPGs I’m buying, not Barby’s Pony Adventure shovelware stuff. Seriously, how dumb can this company be not to realize that people buying retro and collectible games actually care about the cases and will often even pay more to have them included.

And they wonder why their clueless @sses are slowly going out of business. Unless they have some good deal-stacking coupon code/sale combo like this why would I bother buying from them over any other option?
</rant>

Oh well. Can’t be mad at them for long, they did hook me up with all those statues I’m still trying to find places to put. I only hope I get to partake in other clearances while their company circles the drain.

#14463 Sugarbeats  

Sugarbeats

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:34 AM

Watch out GS will get back at you for exploiting their practices! Sucks to hear Camelots recent story. With GS doing so bad right now they must be trying to do everything they can to hide their tracks

#14464 ec91762  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:36 AM

Hey guys, you didnt hear this from me and we were told to keep it on the down low. Ganestop is now doing price matches on new games, consoles, and accessories its only on new products and from Target, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy.. Literally started yesterday like we were told not to go around telling everyone only if a customer asks for it. So there's your bit of help, also dont tell everyone 😂

#14465 DrBayrd  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 11:42 AM

Hey guys, you didnt hear this from me and we were told to keep it on the down low. Ganestop is now doing price matches on new games, consoles, and accessories its only on new products and from Target, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy.. Literally started yesterday like we were told not to go around telling everyone only if a customer asks for it. So there's your bit of help, also dont tell everyone 😂

Thanks, this is helpful to know, since I have amassed a lot of GS credit. Can any other employees verify this or post a link to this new price match policy?

#14466 righteousalive   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   58 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

righteousalive

Posted 12 July 2019 - 12:34 PM

Hey guys, you didnt hear this from me and we were told to keep it on the down low. Ganestop is now doing price matches on new games, consoles, and accessories its only on new products and from Target, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy.. Literally started yesterday like we were told not to go around telling everyone only if a customer asks for it. So there's your bit of help, also dont tell everyone

This is great if it checks out. 

And by don't tell everyone meaning print out flyers and hand them out outside of GS?? Lol

#14467 ec91762  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 01:45 PM

This is great if it checks out.
And by don't tell everyone meaning print out flyers and hand them out outside of GS?? Lol

Exactly! When I go into work later I'll tey to get a picture of the memo haha, like we only got one at work and we were all taking turns reading. Just try to keep it friends only if you are gonna share it, Gamestop is giving us something good!

#14468 WarGames92  

WarGames92

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:03 PM

Hmm, considering Walmart is now selling every new Switch game for $10 below MSRP, this is awesome if true.  Seeing Dragon Quest Builders 2 for $49 and change at Walmart last night had me debating on getting it there instead of GS.

#14469 sirpikaz   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   832 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:26 PM

Hmm, considering Walmart is now selling every new Switch game for $10 below MSRP, this is awesome if true.  Seeing Dragon Quest Builders 2 for $49 and change at Walmart last night had me debating on getting it there instead of GS.

However they don't advertise those prices online, in store only pricing, so like most stores, I imagine price matching isn't going to fly.

#14470 Vigilante   Hold On to That Hatred CAGiversary!   37100 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 02:46 PM

However they don't advertise those prices online, in store only pricing, so like most stores, I imagine price matching isn't going to fly.

Unless your Gamestop accepts a photo of the price + you holding a copy of today's newspaper?

#14471 The_Central_Scrutinizer  

The_Central_Scrutinizer

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:08 PM

<rant>
All of three my b2g1 3DS games came without cases. I also noticed that in my nearest store very few of the 3DS games have cases, they are all just the cartridges in a glass display. I read on a post in the GameStop Reddit that some stores are just trashing all of the cases for used 3DS games to fit them in said displays to “save space.”

And these are collectible, more expensive JRPGs I’m buying, not Barby’s Pony Adventure shovelware stuff. Seriously, how dumb can this company be not to realize that people buying retro and collectible games actually care about the cases and will often even pay more to have them included.

And they wonder why their clueless @sses are slowly going out of business. Unless they have some good deal-stacking coupon code/sale combo like this why would I bother buying from them over any other option?
</rant>

Oh well. Can’t be mad at them for long, they did hook me up with all those statues I’m still trying to find places to put. I only hope I get to partake in other clearances while their company circles the drain.

I found that Reddit thread, and good God are the comments insufferable. I know Reddit in general takes shilling to the extreme, because of how easy the site is to manipulate, but damn. Those comments act like this is a complete non-issue, but it really isn't.

When GS did this with DS games, it had a serious effect on the DS market. Many complete DS games shot up in value because GS destroyed so many cases/inserts. This subsequently affected cart-only prices as well, making DS collecting noticeably more expensive and challenging than before.

So at the end of the day, policies like these affect all DS/3DS collectors, whether they personally give a damn about cases or not. Idk why anyone would want to defend or downplay decisions like these unless they're astroturfing for GS - which, let's be real, is often the case.

#14472 The_Central_Scrutinizer  

The_Central_Scrutinizer

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:10 PM

On a brighter note, though, I haven't observed any of my local GameStops instituting that 3DS policy. Hopefully that practice stays relatively isolated.

#14473 Xellos2099   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3455 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 03:21 PM

Tempted with soul calibur vi collector for $50.  Think it can get lower soon lol, manage to get the cod one yesterday for 10

#14474 tribalnoise   Official Threadkiller CAGiversary!   2011 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

tribalnoise

Posted 12 July 2019 - 04:05 PM

Exactly! When I go into work later I'll tey to get a picture of the memo haha, like we only got one at work and we were all taking turns reading. Just try to keep it friends only if you are gonna share it, Gamestop is giving us something good!

this is a public forum that does not require registration to be viewed. don't expect to keep this info contained. there is significant cross-pollination between CAG and SD.

just try to maintain anonymity between your account here and your employer so you don't get identified as a leaker. in other words, be careful your photo doesn't reveal your identity and get you fired.

you seem to have good intentions but your naivete is hurting your credibility.

#14475 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:03 PM

I bet this is a result of all the BS they pulled with Dualshock 4s for Days of Play. They'll keep doing stuff like that, but now have an inconvenient alternative for grumpy customers.

#14476 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1714 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:10 PM

Tempted with soul calibur vi collector for $50.  Think it can get lower soon lol, manage to get the cod one yesterday for 10

I received mine on Wednesday. It was an opened box that was partially crushed. I'm returning it today. I suggest you price match with a legit retailer.

#14477 ajh2298   2009 Stanley Cup Champs CAGiversary!   7714 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:15 PM

None of my local even had a copy of Kirby Battle Royale during the $10 sale. This is the second time this has happened last time it was Scribblenuts for the Xbox One for $10 and no stores had that also. I tried to PM at Target but it was a $30 difference and they wouldn’t do it and Best Buy only list a digital version for sale.

#14478 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4151 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:21 PM

I found that Reddit thread, and good God are the comments insufferable. I know Reddit in general takes shilling to the extreme, because of how easy the site is to manipulate, but damn. Those comments act like this is a complete non-issue, but it really isn't.

When GS did this with DS games, it had a serious effect on the DS market. Many complete DS games shot up in value because GS destroyed so many cases/inserts. This subsequently affected cart-only prices as well, making DS collecting noticeably more expensive and challenging than before.

So at the end of the day, policies like these affect all DS/3DS collectors, whether they personally give a damn about cases or not. Idk why anyone would want to defend or downplay decisions like these unless they're astroturfing for GS - which, let's be real, is often the case.

I won't even buy a cart only game. By trashing the cases Gamestop is effectively really only selling cheaper games to parents buying the consoles for younger children or they are selling Pokemon games which they likely aren't throwing cases away for in most stores.

#14479 Omni99  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:25 PM

I heard about the price matching policy a few days ago but only that it was another test market thing. Would be cool if it was company wide.

#14480 Xellos2099   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3455 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:34 PM

I received mine on Wednesday. It was an opened box that was partially crushed. I'm returning it today. I suggest you price match with a legit retailer.

There are quite a few story with copy near my location.  

#14481 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6353 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:39 PM

Watch out GS will get back at you for exploiting their practices! Sucks to hear Camelots recent story. With GS doing so bad right now they must be trying to do everything they can to hide their tracks

https://youtu.be/hgJRsu61TZY

Show of hands, who here actually watches these videos when someone posts them?

* Sits still, does not raise hand *

#14482 Omni99  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:49 PM

Still love Camelot, but the problem is that he made a video about how bad Walmart is...while talking about how his company sells their products through Walmart...AND did it while he was on leave from his company so they could look into whether or not his Youtube channel was a potential liability. He can't really pin this one on Gamestop.

#14483 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2626 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 12 July 2019 - 05:50 PM

Many of the Gamestops near me have thrown away all cases and manuals for 360, PS3, and Wii games that are $9.99 or under. Only a matter of time before it applies to those whole sections.

#14484 intelligentidiot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   981 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

intelligentidiot

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:17 PM

Still love Camelot, but the problem is that he made a video about how bad Walmart is...while talking about how his company sells their products through Walmart...AND did it while he was on leave from his company so they could look into whether or not his Youtube channel was a potential liability. He can't really pin this one on Gamestop.

Watching bits of some his videos, I thought to myself that he shouldn't quit his day job ...... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#14485 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3561 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:31 PM

Show of hands, who here actually watches these videos when someone posts them?

* Sits still, does not raise hand *

Never. Mainly due to the youtuber making some stupid facial expression, etc. in the video thumbnail.

#14486 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4151 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:46 PM

Watching bits of some his videos, I thought to myself that he shouldn't quit his day job ...... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I did the same thing and I also think he talks a bit like Cleveland from Family Guy. 

These Gamestop videos on YouTube seem like they are pretty popular though. Maybe I should start recording myself sitting in my Game Room talking about how shitty working for Gamestop was.  

#14487 Omni99  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:49 PM

I did the same thing and I also think he talks a bit like Cleveland from Family Guy. 

These Gamestop videos on YouTube seem like they are pretty popular though. Maybe I should start recording myself sitting in my Game Room talking about how shitty working for Gamestop was.  

Well Camelot has gained 30K subs in just the last few weeks so he's blowing up right now. I also started seriously considering doing my own Youtube thing. I talk about all the same things they do, I have retail stories, I even have gamestop stories. Just don't ask me to go dumpster diving.

#14488 Dgaart   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   25 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:49 PM

Never. Mainly due to the youtuber making some stupid facial expression, etc. in the video thumbnail.

I'm glad other people feel this way. My 8-year old nephew will click on a YouTube video because there is a douchey looking guy making "funny faces", but I don't know why anyone else would support these people with clickbait titles and r-tarded thumbnails, or find it worth their time to actually listen to these people talk.

#14489 Arleisha   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   208 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 06:58 PM

I won't even buy a cart only game. By trashing the cases Gamestop is effectively really only selling cheaper games to parents buying the consoles for younger children or they are selling Pokemon games which they likely aren't throwing cases away for in most stores.

The only times I've bought cart only DS games has been when buying the cart is significantly cheaper than Ebay prices.  Or I've found a case online that I can put the game in. 

Such as I bought Castlevania Order of Ecclesia cart only from GS, for $20. Ebay price for Cart only is usually $50-60, Complete is ~$100.   I'd rather pay the $20.

#14490 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1714 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 July 2019 - 07:12 PM

Hate to be one to promote GameStop's corporate values; but, GameStop wants you to trade in the games you buy from them (life cycle of a customer or some crap). I don't think CIB collector's want to trade the games back into GameStop necessarily. Sure the price could be higher if they offered CIB 3DS games, but the life of that product could end for them as it ends up in the reseller market and on somebody's shelf forever.

I don't agree with this approach, I just understand what they're doing. However, I think it comes to bite them in the ass, as they have a ton of retro games that would be worth much more if they were CIB.