* * * * - 16 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#14461 pbfluff   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   798 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:28 AM

When was the last time before that you went to GS?

It just seems so widespread to me that there has to be something more to it. Lots of secure accounts that have no shared passwords, it's ongoing, fairly well reported, and it's always for google play cards. Every time. Might even be something faulty in their web code perhaps?

If I was a betting man, I'd say it is a lot less likely that the clientele that I see at the store can a) remember a phone number and b) know how to use it on the gamestop website. So unless it's an employee...

99/100 times this is going to be web related (whether it's GS site or user negligence (malware, bad password habits, etc)

The fact that it is "always google play" reminds me of the fifa ultimate team fiasco.

#14462 DoubleDam21  

DoubleDam21

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:14 AM

So I have to ask has anyone traded in PS2 games recently? I went to like 5 different GameStops this week and every single one of them told me that they couldn’t take my PS2 games because they weren’t in the system.

#14463 ritchardf  

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:45 AM

So I have to ask has anyone traded in PS2 games recently? I went to like 5 different GameStops this week and every single one of them told me that they couldn’t take my PS2 games because they weren’t in the system.

did you search for their values online? if they show up there, they should show up on the stores systems as well.

#14464 TimPV3   I don't play games, I play GameStop CAGiversary!   3028 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:46 AM

i would discourage anyone from sharing their phone number to your PUR account. it allows someone to redeem your rewards and possibly update contact info at POS, in addition to getting banned when someone decides to go ham on an exploit using your account.

I appreciate the concern, but I was going to change it to my old Illinois phone number for him to use, then change it back when he was done. I didn't have any coupons to redeem, but if I did, I'd just call customer service and since it was a purchase 1,000 miles away, they'd refund them. I still use my card, so even if the contact info was changed I would just go to my store and have it changed back. My biggest concern was my number getting shared again and someone going ham like you said, but that's why I planned on changing it back afterwards.

TL:DR It's definitely not smart to share my account, helping a CAG was worth a potential hour of inconvenience

#14465 Lumas101  

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:54 AM

So I was right about the Power Pass coming back as a test. That and the new Price match thing have been on the GS discord a few times over the last several days.

They've doubled the price of the PP from the original of course.

If the post you quoted is correct, and if I'm remembering the original terms correctly, they've nearly tripled the price. I believe the original terms were $60 for six months ($10 a month) and at the end of the six months you get to keep any game you had rented over that time for no additional charge. So you basically got a six-month unlimited trial at the expense of guaranteeing that you would buy a game at the end of it. The post you quoted says you can keep a game at its preowned price, so the more expensive games would be $50 if you are a Pro member. So the original cost for a six month rental and buying a new game was $60, and the new cost would be $170.

#14466 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1885 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:11 AM

CSAC 7/22 according to tonight's weekly ad

#14467 ritchardf  

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:18 AM

CSAC 7/22 according to tonight's weekly ad

still just hardware and tech, right?

#14468 Alexpguy  

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:01 AM

No, this is the real deal. Hardware and tech ends on 7/21. Red banner CSAC in the ad starts 7/22 excluding CA. SB plus 60% here I come!

#14469 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1885 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:01 AM

Not specified, but it says "Eligible trade categories subject to change."

#14470 Kapone360   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   76 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Kapone360

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:20 AM

No, this is the real deal. Hardware and tech ends on 7/21. Red banner CSAC in the ad starts 7/22 excluding CA. SB plus 60% here I come!

60% ?

#14471 tribalnoise   Official Threadkiller CAGiversary!   2043 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

tribalnoise

Posted 21 July 2019 - 09:38 AM

60% ?

if you live in an area that isn't eligible for Cash Same As Credit (CSAC), you get a 50% trade bonus instead. Usually California and a few other areas.

#14472 the_red_tide  

the_red_tide

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:09 AM

Will they do a stealth bump with the CSAC offer though?

#14473 DrBayrd  

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:21 AM

I traded in mvc2 ps2 yesterday for $37.

#14474 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 21 July 2019 - 11:32 AM

Wish St. Louis was the test market like it was for PowerUp Rewards back in 2010. Fun fact, the southeastern MO stores are in the same GS district as all the locations over a hundred miles away in south St. Louis county, Jefferson County, & Manchester/Eureka/Washington.

That’s a fun fact?

#14475 tangytangerine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4286 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

tangytangerine

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:09 PM

Not sure it will lead to anything, but completed a survey this morning for GS on reward site.  It asked about the PUR Program and features for it.  But one weird question that popped up was asking if you would still sign up if they removed the Game Informer subscription.  Which had me thinking, is GS losing money on Game Informer and looking to shut it down?

I mean, it wouldn't kill the PUR program for me if they got rid of it.  It's nice to get that in the mail each month, but it is so old news by the time you get it when compared to their website.  Especially this last issue, where 3/4 of the issue was nothing but games from E3 and 7-8 pages for actual game reviews.  Kinda ridiculous they just threw a quote of the Crash Team Racing review on a crowded half page, when it was one of June's big releases.

Sounds like those stores didn't want to bother searching for them.  If the TIV shows up online, they are in the system for the store to find.

#14476 Rick4Life  

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:49 PM

Not sure it will lead to anything, but completed a survey this morning for GS on reward site.  It asked about the PUR Program and features for it.  But one weird question that popped up was asking if you would still sign up if they removed the Game Informer subscription.  Which had me thinking, is GS losing money on Game Informer and looking to shut it down?

I mean, it wouldn't kill the PUR program for me if they got rid of it.  It's nice to get that in the mail each month, but it is so old news by the time you get it when compared to their website.  Especially this last issue, where 3/4 of the issue was nothing but games from E3 and 7-8 pages for actual game reviews.  Kinda ridiculous they just threw a quote of the Crash Team Racing review on a crowded half page, when it was one of June's big releases.

Sounds like those stores didn't want to bother searching for them.  If the TIV shows up online, they are in the system for the store to find.

Interesting topic to bring up. I remember when I started PUR, I wanted the magazine mailed to me to get the most value out of my membership. Every single one went in the trash, and I never opened one of them. I later started getting them emailed, and every one of them goes to spam before I read them, and we’ll... I never notice.

We live in a different age. By the time a magazine gets written up, mass printed, then mailed, we all learned the information weeks ago. We live in a different age now where news about games is provided immediately.

If they can cut costs on the membership by saving money on printing and shipping those magazines (and unfortunately paying th staff who write them)... well, that benefits the customer.

A $5 monthly cert that expires every month in replacement of 10% off does not benefit the customer.

#14477 The Questyen   Guess I'll just stumble on home to my cats CAGiversary!   2683 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

The Questyen

Posted 21 July 2019 - 02:00 PM

That’s a fun fact?

They must have different ideas of fun in Missouri. 

#14478 kraftwerks   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1318 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

kraftwerks

Posted 21 July 2019 - 02:10 PM

they wont cut costs on the membership though, that’s not how stuff works- especially at Gamestop. You’ll just be paying the same price (or more!) for less.
Remember how there’d be active offers every month for Pro? They stopped that, did your Pro membership get discounted?

#14479 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1885 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2019 - 02:41 PM

I listen to the game informer podcast and give the magazine to my kids to shutup for 30 minutes a month. I hope Game Informer doesn't stop work because of this.

#14480 sbaker44  

Posted 21 July 2019 - 02:44 PM

Will they do a stealth bump with the CSAC offer though?

They did it last month.

#14481 the_red_tide  

the_red_tide

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:07 PM

They did it last month.

Yes but they are paying out cash, doubt they will raise the prices to 30 base

#14482 DoubleDam21  

DoubleDam21

Posted 21 July 2019 - 03:21 PM

did you search for their values online? if they show up there, they should show up on the stores systems as well.

I traded in mvc2 ps2 yesterday for $37.

Sounds like those stores didn't want to bother searching for them. If the TIV shows up online, they are in the system for the store to find.

Thanks guys and yeah I checked on both mobile and site to make sure the TIV but thought it was strange they just looked at them and denied it. Never actually looked them up. Good to know it was just lazy employees and not them eliminating PS2 trade ins. Try my luck somewhere else next time I guess.

#14483 jms209   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   810 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:47 PM

So a bit confused with trading in a switch, I'm in CA so the same cash/store credit doesn't apply.

Regardless gamestop sites tell me $200 credit or $200 cash. Should be able to get $200 right?

#14484 bob330i   just lookin' CAGiversary!   3593 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:14 PM

So a bit confused with trading in a switch, I'm in CA so the same cash/store credit doesn't apply.

Regardless gamestop sites tell me $200 credit or $200 cash. Should be able to get $200 right?

Yes, you should be able to get $200 credit.

#14485 jms209   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   810 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:25 PM

Yes, you should be able to get $200 credit.

Thanks, trading in might be the easiest way. If I sell online at $250, I get $210 after fees. Don't want to bother with returns or other issues.

No luck selling locally at $225.

#14486 ritchardf  

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:30 PM

Thanks, trading in might be the easiest way. If I sell online at $250, I get $210 after fees. Don't want to bother with returns or other issues.

No luck selling locally at $225.

if you buy a ps4 you get $225 for your switch

#14487 jms209   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   810 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2019 - 05:53 PM

if you buy a ps4 you get $225 for your switch

Already have a Pro, so no need.

#14488 TimPV3   I don't play games, I play GameStop CAGiversary!   3028 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:07 PM

Can certificates be used on food gift cards too? I've got a hankering for some Dominos.

Not sure it will lead to anything, but completed a survey this morning for GS on reward site. It asked about the PUR Program and features for it. But one weird question that popped up was asking if you would still sign up if they removed the Game Informer subscription. Which had me thinking, is GS losing money on Game Informer and looking to shut it down?

When I still worked for the company in 2013 or so, they were trying to switch everyone over to the digital magazine because they were losing money on the print version. I can't remember exact numbers, but there was a lot of internet and Kotaku drama over people being switched when they renewed without being asked. They also shrunk the magazine a few years ago. I don't have any old copies to compare right now but if you line them up on a shelf it's noticeably smaller.

Remember when the EB Edge card was only $5 before the merger? I remember being disappointed when they tacked on the magazine for an extra $10, but it was worth it when they still had coupons.

#14489 tangytangerine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4286 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

tangytangerine

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:10 PM

They also shrunk the magazine a few years ago. I don't have any old copies to compare right now but if you line them up on a shelf it's noticeably smaller.

Yeah, I noticed that a couple weeks ago when I found my issue 200 and an issue with Resident Evil Revelations 2 on the cover.  Those issues were about 1/4 bigger than the size of the current issues.

About the survey, just remember it's a hypothetical question in it.  It's a possibility that GS(or the survey creator?) is throwing out just to see if they can cut costs somewhere.  Personally, if they left the 10% discount alone instead of $5 voucher and got rid of GI.  I'd be willing to do that trade off.

#14490 TimPV3   I don't play games, I play GameStop CAGiversary!   3028 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2019 - 07:11 PM

Tried to use certs on a Dominos card, was shut down because they're only supposed to be used on POSA cards. Tried to get an Amazon card instead, manager walked over and said "absolutely not" and explained they can only be used on Xbox Live money because anything else is considered "currency trading"

Just went to another store that didn't give a shit and did it anyway.