* * * * - 12 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#16621 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3083 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:50 AM

So people who don't pay tax with their trade in credit, how do you approach it?  Do you just say,I want to apply some of my credit to the switch or preorder?   OR does it not matter?  It just depends on your state?

#16622 aircobra   The Wind CAGiversary!   3002 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:54 AM

For what its worth, the kid working at the store today said they have a TON of price changes rolling out tonight. So many that they were given extra hours to do it, which rarely happens. Obviously that doesn't mean all the prices are going down, but it seems like a good chance that a lot of stuff will be cheaper tomorrow. Hopefully the next sale period includes another 4 for 20 or similar.

Does he still think sales change over on Wednesday? I knew GameStop was behind the times, but damn, that’s bad. No wonder they’re firing people left and right.

#16623 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:02 AM

So according to Cheapy, all gift cards (not just Southwest) can no longer be bought with credit. Glad I bought some gift cards today

#16624 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6516 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:04 AM

Hopefully that's just policy and not hardcoded in the register.

#16625 DarkGamer11   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   457 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

DarkGamer11

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:08 AM

Heard that today was the last day to buy Southwest gift cards with credit before they restrict them.

Wow. Kudos my man. Should’ve listened to you instead of going to the movies. Damn

#16626 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1044 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:08 AM

Hopefully PSN cards are okay...

#16627 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22893 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:13 AM

Prob in the minority but sucks about GI losing staff... even though mags are dead and even most gaming new sites seem to be nothing but videos/streams these days, I enjoyed GI. Thought it had some really solid previews and loved the retrospectives. Even in an era when they basically have no competition, I enjoyed the magazine- even thought about keeping my PUR+ membership going because I enjoyed the magazine. 

#16628 DemonGamer24   Sniper, no sniping! CAGiversary!   240 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

DemonGamer24

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:13 AM

No more Playstatoin?

#16629 Twisted Metal  

Twisted Metal

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:15 AM

So according to Cheapy, all gift cards (not just Southwest) can no longer be bought with credit. Glad I bought some gift cards today

Here is the list that Cheapy posted.

ECdI1x6WkAA-Btb.jpg

#16630 WickedCyclone  

WickedCyclone

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:18 AM

This sucks. We always bought Kohls and Home Depot cards, saw it coming though. No way they can survive paying $15 for Wii Sports then just taking all the credit somewhere else. My brother has over $900 and is not very happy right now, but he probably should have brought that number down a bit over the past few weeks. I have around $400 but planning to buy some switch games and possibly a phone at the end of the year so it's not so bad for me. The end is definitely closing in though. So pretty much the only way to get something physical now outside of Gamestop is with the Xbox->Microsoft store deal.

#16631 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1044 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:24 AM

Prob in the minority but sucks about GI losing staff... even though mags are dead and even most gaming new sites seem to be nothing but videos/streams these days, I enjoyed GI. Thought it had some really solid previews and loved the retrospectives. Even in an era when they basically have no competition, I enjoyed the magazine- even thought about keeping my PUR+ membership going because I enjoyed the magazine.

Nobody is happy about GI losing half their stuff. They made a good magazine, great digital content, and had lots of great people working for them.

#16632 tangytangerine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4180 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

tangytangerine

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:27 AM

Was just looking and looks like most of the ones laid off were senior staff.   Probably GS thinking "well, they're higher paid employees, let's cut them and keep the lower paid ones".  Pretty crappy that one found out about getting laid off while he was on vacation.

Makes me wonder how much longer before they cut the subscription from PUR and shutdown the magazine for good if they're cutting costs everywhere?   At this rate, wouldn't surprise me if they start closing stores before the holidays really start in November.

#16633 Jhingles  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:27 AM

LMAO excellent, I was planning on buying a bunch of Southwest GCs for a vacation this weekend and naturally I didn't see this until after they're closed. This company really is just hot garbage. Business is failing so let's do our beat to slash deals and drive customers away, that'll save it!

#16634 jbg87   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   556 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:32 AM

Haven’t gotten my points for trading in games on Sunday (tx)

Also on the app it doesn’t show active offers but at the register the cashier read my active offers out loud n there was $100 off turtle beach elite pro not sure if 2 or the original

#16635 jms209   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   744 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:35 AM

So should I buy a PS card now? It looks like only $50 is on the list though.

Cashed out most of my credit toward MS/xbox credit yesterday.

#16636 WickedCyclone  

WickedCyclone

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:38 AM

So should I buy a PS card now? It looks like only $50 is on the list though.
Cashed out most of my credit toward MS/xbox credit yesterday.

I’d say all the gaming ones are safe, hopefully iTunes is good too, I like to get some for FEH sometimes. I also feel like now would be a good time to cash out PUR points too, never know when they are going to gut that, or at least keep a kinda low balance of points.

#16637 jbg87   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   556 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:40 AM

Stores are still open so go buy them cards if you got credit to burn

I have $200 but I was planning on using that for a bunch of switch stuff when I get my Pokémon lite from bb

Also did they axe the birthday coupon? That day at the register they didn’t mention it now on the app I can’t see any offers

#16638 mnharuhi  

mnharuhi

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:47 AM

Stores are still open so go buy them cards if you got credit to burn

I have $200 but I was planning on using that for a bunch of switch stuff when I get my Pokémon lite from bb

Also did they axe the birthday coupon? That day at the register they didn’t mention it now on the app I can’t see any offers

I don't think they killed the birthday coupon... I got one this month

#16639 doc_j88   CAG Vet CAGiversary!   1373 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:54 AM

I bought a Buffalo Wild Wings card no problem today

I wish I’d known sooner, and the information wasn’t hush hush smh

Shame on cheapy for not posting this in the thread

#16640 Jhingles  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 01:59 AM

Starting 8/21. RIP vacation plans. 😭

Also totally agree. Would have been nice to know before they were closed.

#16641 baboonfreak   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1205 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

baboonfreak

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:06 AM

Wow glad I checked this thread. Wasn't planning on going today but will now. It was good while it lasted.

#16642 heatdolphins45   Wade County CAG CAGiversary!   4158 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

heatdolphins45

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:18 AM

Probably overreacting, but are we sure GS will last until the Switch Lite comes out?

#16643 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2839 Posts   Joined 4.9 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:22 AM

So since the website changed.. where is your trade credit listed? I can only get access to it through the app now.

#16644 billyrox   Old Man CAGiversary!   3083 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:23 AM

Probably overreacting, but are we sure GS will last until the Switch Lite comes out?

The updated switch is out right? 

#16645 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5402 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:24 AM

Are we sure that GS will last another month? It's a pretty safe bet.

#16646 blueweltall   Kill the Batman CAGiversary!   6514 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

blueweltall

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:29 AM

Cheapy doesn't handling the CAG Twitter account and the news came out today, so what do you expect?

#16647 Vinny   Bang, bang... pew... CAGiversary!   22893 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:31 AM

Nobody is happy about GI losing half their stuff. They made a good magazine, great digital content, and had lots of great people working for them.

Not gonna lie, I honestly wasn't aware... seems like 5-6 yrs ago when there were still a few mags still around, GI was universally disliked (and being owned by GS didn't help). Guess maybe that sentiment wasn't as common as I thought it was or changed greatly. 

#16648 WWF   Games Jandolfini & Bobby Balaklava CAGiversary!   1055 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:47 AM

Does GS sell any hotel/lodging gift cards?

Last time I got one I remember having to buy amazon kindle first then a hotels.com one from amazon.

#16649 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2839 Posts   Joined 4.9 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:48 AM

The updated switch is out right?

Switch v2 and Switch LITE are two different consoles.
V2 is out, Lite is next month. That’s why he asked.

#16650 Xellos2099   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3513 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:52 AM

Can I still get stuff like xbox credit and psn with my store credit/ reward point?