* * * * - 12 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#16651 WeaponX2099   You walk on the subway CAGiversary!   5442 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

WeaponX2099

Posted 21 August 2019 - 02:59 AM

The Netflix cards except $60 V2 was coming up with errors. While the gift card thing is maddening, it does put GS inline with all the other stores like Target and best buy. 

#16652 WWF   Yours Forever Faithfully CAGiversary!   1073 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:08 AM

Apex Legends and the digital side of the industry has taught GS that treating the hardcores like shit is the key to financial success.

I haven’t been in a Best Buy really since GCU ended and apparently they’re no longer on the verge of being circuit city’d.

#16653 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2864 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:10 AM

So went to my GS just before they closed.
Dropped 300 of my credit on eshop and xbox credit, I had pretty much decided that’s what I’d spend it on anyway..

Showed the clerk the list that was posted earlier about the new sku’s being unable to be purchased with trade credit.
He thought it was just an updated list cause amazon and eBay were already restricted. He said it wouldn’t surprise him about Sony being restricted now, I guess Sony and GS haven’t been getting along anymore.

Just anecdotal info, maybe all will be fine tomorrow. I just decided to spend the TC on what I had already figured I’d spend it on in the end anyway. Still have over $100 in TC left..

#16654 WeaponX2099   You walk on the subway CAGiversary!   5442 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

WeaponX2099

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:15 AM

Can I still get stuff like xbox credit and psn with my store credit/ reward point?

Yeah, but not PSN 50. 

#16655 SideQuestsSuck  

SideQuestsSuck

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:44 AM

Probably overreacting, but are we sure GS will last until the Switch Lite comes out?

Methinks poor GS is not long for this earth....

#16656 Sparky01GT  

Sparky01GT

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:53 AM

Hoping for 4 ($19.99 titles) for $40 or a B2G1

Edit: My local store has the new guy close for the 1st time tonight alone. I'm skeptical of what you heard.

They could be doing them first thing in the morning before they open. 

So people who don't pay tax with their trade in credit, how do you approach it?  Do you just say,I want to apply some of my credit to the switch or preorder?   OR does it not matter?  It just depends on your state?

Whenever you go to buy something, all you have to do is swipe your card with your trade credit on it and the POS will remove the tax automatically. You don't have to do anything. 

Does he still think sales change over on Wednesday? I knew GameStop was behind the times, but damn, that’s bad. No wonder they’re firing people left and right.

I'm sure they scheduled him an extra hour after closing tonight to just sit around and post on the GS subreddit. Wtf?

#16657 Sparky01GT  

Sparky01GT

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:58 AM

I don't understand all the hand-wringing and "sky is falling" over Gamestop. Laying people off is one of the ways you save a struggling, bloated company. They are trimming the fat, cutting costs, increasing their selection, revamping their website (for better or worse), and now literally anyone with a brain just got a whole bunch of trade credit, which after tomorrow they won't be able to spend anywhere but on games in the store or on the website.  Gamestop is going to be around for awhile yet.  Certainly through the holiday season and the release of the next gen. 

#16658 ants718  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:04 AM

Is there any gift cards left that you can pay with trade credit? Stupid Gamestop not warning us in advance. :-P

#16659 Sparky01GT  

Sparky01GT

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:07 AM

Is there any gift cards left that you can pay with trade credit? Stupid Gamestop not warning us in advance. :-P

that list appears to cover all of them.

#16660 Dranakin   Member Since Oct 2003 CAGiversary!   2943 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:07 AM

I don't understand all the hand-wringing and "sky is falling" over Gamestop. Laying people off is one of the ways you save a struggling, bloated company. They are trimming the fat, cutting costs, increasing their selection, revamping their website (for better or worse), and now literally anyone with a brain just got a whole bunch of trade credit, which after tomorrow they won't be able to spend anywhere but on games in the store or on the website. Gamestop is going to be around for awhile yet. Certainly through the holiday season and the release of the next gen.

but then where we would get all of our drama

#16661 ohhellnaw  

ohhellnaw

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:08 AM

I don't understand all the hand-wringing and "sky is falling" over Gamestop. Laying people off is one of the ways you save a struggling, bloated company. They are trimming the fat, cutting costs, increasing their selection, revamping their website (for better or worse), and now literally anyone with a brain just got a whole bunch of trade credit, which after tomorrow they won't be able to spend anywhere but on games in the store or on the website. Gamestop is going to be around for awhile yet. Certainly through the holiday season and the release of the next gen.

Everyone here knows that.

#16662 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1050 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:22 AM

I need a youtuber to make a video so I know how outraged I should feel right now.

I know, I'll watch a LOL video from Dunkey.

#16663 arsenalcrazy8   As Cheap As Wenger. CAGiversary!   2250 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

arsenalcrazy8

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:23 AM

This GS situation reminds me of a story when game crazy (remember them?) closed.

I remember waking into game crazy and buying some sale games and they started trying to sell me on their MVP card (basically same as GS’s power up pro), telling me it was even on sale for 5 dollars off. Now this was the same week that there were articles coming out that Hollywood was finally closing all game crazy’s, so I explained to them that I can’t buy the MVP card because I didn’t know how much longer Game Crazy would be around as they announced they were shutting them. Lol the guys at the counter were so insulted they immediately responded with “where’d you hear that?! That’s absolutely wrong we’re not closing, we’re one of the locations that are staying open!!” They would not have any of it.

2 weeks later I came back and they were having a final out of business closing sale lol...

#16664 arsenalcrazy8   As Cheap As Wenger. CAGiversary!   2250 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

arsenalcrazy8

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:31 AM

2 weeks later I came back and they were having a final out of business closing sale lol...

Come to think about it lol there’s another interesting thing that happened when I came back.

At this point everything was 80-90% off and I there was still a ton of stuff but i remember only picking up a few strategy guides and a game or two, and got in line only to find the guy in front of me had just “bought the remaining inventory”

Lol the cashier told me he thus couldn’t sell me what I was holding, but he did look at the guy who just bought everything and said “unless he’s ok with leaving these for you to buy”

The guy looked at me and just went “no”. Lol so I walked out empty handed. What’s crazy is he had 4-5 more of the same items I wanted to buy and still wouldn’t let me buy them. He went full El hoardo.

#16665 Dranakin   Member Since Oct 2003 CAGiversary!   2943 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:32 AM

Man, Game Crazy was better than GS/EB Games at the time. I remember their prices being much more competitive and their return/exchange policies being more generous. They also gave away stuff, like all of the promo items that they hung in the stores.

#16666 Omni99  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:33 AM

I guess my instincts a few days ago were right. I said before that big changes were coming in August and also a few days ago that if you wanted any cards with your TC it might be a good idea to get them now before we find suddenly one day they pulled a Best Buy and restricted all of them. Hope I was able to help somebody, although I honestly didn't think it would be THIS soon. I bought gift cards 3 days ago and I bought more tonight just before close. I cut my TC by about 2/3rds. Still sticking with my plan of getting out with the PS5.

Sp long free Uber/Starbuck/Fandango movie nights.

Now just waiting for them to officially kill all remaining elite pro out of the blue.

#16667 knothead65  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:40 AM

Lol, the old Hollywood Video/Game Crazy in my Town is still here, empty but still has the same paint job on the building. They use it here and there as a office to sell used cars and also RV sales. Think they even sold fireworks in there once and used it as a Social Services office when they remodeled the regular one.

#16668 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   12891 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:59 AM

For what its worth, the kid working at the store today said they have a TON of price changes rolling out tonight. So many that they were given extra hours to do it, which rarely happens. Obviously that doesn't mean all the prices are going down, but it seems like a good chance that a lot of stuff will be cheaper tomorrow. Hopefully the next sale period includes another 4 for 20 or similar. 

Too bad the the new Gamestop website is so shitty that you won't easily be able to see what all the price drops are.

#16669 SiloHilo   Banned Banned   56 Posts   Joined 0.3 Years Ago  

SiloHilo

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:01 AM

Regardless of how you feel about gamestop it's not hard to conclude they wont be around much longer. You can get 3 months of Gamepass for $10 literally every 3 months. $40 all year for access to play at least half of the major releases for the year + TONS of others from previous years.

Gamestop is doing nothing to compete with that, especially with the god awful web design change that will definitely lose them business. I get that they cant lower new game prices whenever they want due to publishers word, but they can definitely lower used prices more than they do since they make all the profit in those.

#16670 TimPV3   Butthole CAGiversary!   2906 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:24 AM

Not directed at the person above me but GameStop isn't even having problems with creditors or having to consider bankruptcy right now. I can't believe anyone is legitimately worried about their trade in credit.

#16671 Omni99  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:29 AM

Not directed at the person above me but GameStop isn't even having problems with creditors or having to consider bankruptcy right now. I can't believe anyone is legitimately worried about their trade in credit right now. 

Myself I'm not worried about my TC itself, but I was worried about it becoming worth a lot less with this gift card stuff, and what I predicted happened today. I saw some people on youtube saying Gamestop wouldn't last till black friday, which is insane. They'd have to be cooking the books for that to happen.

#16672 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2864 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:32 AM

Not directed at the person above me but GameStop isn't even having problems with creditors or having to consider bankruptcy right now. I can't believe anyone is legitimately worried about their trade in credit right now. 

They are removing the ability to USE my trade credit on things I want to spend it on... They already restricted it's use before, and doing it further now.

If I wanted to buy PSN money, seems you can't now. So what's next? can *only* be used for new games? Can only use it towards a pre-order?

I'm not worried that GS will be gone tomorrow.. i'm just worried they will further restrict my trade credit to the point where i have no use for it. FYI I don't buy anything from them cause I find better deals elsewhere and I generally don't like their practices anyway.

If it wasn't for the $5 bonus on trade credit right now i'd still have $1.27 left in my account. (that was there from last year when I converted stuff to digital after buying my X)

#16673 knothead65  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:34 AM

If/when Gamestop closes I doubt it's because they can't compete with Gamepass. You still have Playstation and Nintendo games which are soon to be the 2 top selling console this generation.

#16674 aircobra   The Wind CAGiversary!   3066 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:36 AM

Anyone know if it’s normal for a game that you haven’t picked up to disappear from your preorders section on the app? Had Madden preordered but ended up getting it used and haven’t bothered to go to the store to get my money back.

#16675 knothead65  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:36 AM

They are removing the ability to USE my trade credit on things I want to spend it on... They already restricted it's use before, and doing it further now.

If I wanted to buy PSN money, seems you can't now. So what's next? can *only* be used for new games? Can only use it towards a pre-order?

I'm not worried that GS will be gone tomorrow.. i'm just worried they will further restrict my trade credit to the point where i have no use for it. FYI I don't buy anything from them cause I find better deals elsewhere and I generally don't like their practices anyway.

If it wasn't for the $5 bonus on trade credit right now i'd still have $1.27 left in my account. (that was there from last year when I converted stuff to digital after buying my X)

Going by Cheapy's list it only shows the $50 PSN cards

#16676 Omni99  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:31 AM

I wonder if PUR certs will be affected too. I liked using those on cards.

#16677 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2864 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:36 AM

Going by Cheapy's list it only shows the $50 PSN cards

So?...

Restriction, yes?

Today $50 PSN, tomorrow $20 PSN? Whats the day after that? MS? eShop? The GS Clerk I talked to earlier about the list said it wouldn't surprise him if all Sony cards left GS soon. Sony and GS are not getting along.. Yes he thought it was odd that it only listed the $50. (Here's a thought... GS discontinues selling anything *but* the $50 PSN card.) 

Look at all the other cards they are/have removed that others mentioned. 

Just saying that they are restricting the usage of my trade credit. I don't buy anything for my PS4 anymore really so the PSN credit option doesn't really effect me. except for the thought of "what's next?" Is Xbox or Switch credit next? I didn't want $400+ credit sitting in a store I wouldn't buy from anyway *IF* they restrict the usage further. I just didn't want to risk it since like I said i pretty much decided to spend it on eShop/Live credit anyway. The list just gave me the push I needed to just go ahead and use it, *before* something else got added to the list.

Edit: again i dont think they are going away anytime soon.. but I just see them restricting how TC and as Omni99 reminded me... PUR certs/points can be used. (which I may dump those points tomorrow now)

#16678 SiloHilo   Banned Banned   56 Posts   Joined 0.3 Years Ago  

SiloHilo

Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:51 AM

If/when Gamestop closes I doubt it's because they can't compete with Gamepass. You still have Playstation and Nintendo games which are soon to be the 2 top selling console this generation.

Oh it definitely won't just be because of gamepass, but I personally believe that gamepass and things alike will be a big part of the fall of gamestop, especially if gamepass makes it's way into nintendo like its rumored to be. I actually heavily prefer physical, and I'll definitely still buy games I absolutely want physically, but things like gamepass allow me to play games I'm on the fence about without having to go into gamestop, buy the game, and then trade it if I don't like it or finished it. They've given me no reason to go back to that.

Dont get me wrong, I used to like gamestop, but due to recent changes, especially the quality of last gen games (something that doesnt get talked about enough, quality is AWFUL for 360 games received specifically from gamestop online), I could care less if they fail.

Hell, you dont even get points for trading in games in CA anymore. That's unacceptable.

#16679 ohhellnaw  

ohhellnaw

Posted 21 August 2019 - 06:58 AM

Why are you here? ^ people losing jobs is funny?

#16680 knothead65  

Posted 21 August 2019 - 07:01 AM

Not to start an argument on here but what did you guys think would happen? The company is losing money. They're are a Video game store, yet everyone is getting cheap flights, Disney trips, food, and gift cards for other places instead of using the credit on stuff in their store.