* * * * - 12 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#18151 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2695 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:01 PM

I think MS's long-term goal with GamePass and XCloud is to not need to sell Xboxes at all and just being a streaming platform for everything with a screen.

Spencer has literally all but said this is their strategy. Xbox will eventually become a brand platform like Netflix or Hulu. Sony will probably need to do the same in time; no doubt MS is much farther along in tech than them.

All of this streaming future IMHO is bad for consumers but also seems pretty much inevitable ....

#18152 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:30 PM

Just got my email for 2 weeks remaining in my elite pro subscription. Hoping to find a used copy of Astral Chain before then, but nowhere around me even has new copies.

Is it a natural expiration or forced?

#18153 Rick4Life  

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:50 PM

If you think GameStop is going to quickly disappear, then you must never have heard of Kmart, Sears, or JcPenny.

#18154 Jakegreensego  

Jakegreensego

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:56 PM

If you think GameStop is going to quickly disappear, then you must never have heard of Kmart, Sears, or JcPenny.

if you mention these stores you must also include circuit city or even RadioShack
Sears and jcpenney have been around forever. They owned many of the stores they operated out of. Sears survived by selling off it's real estate. Gamestop can go out of business. Its apparent that the store will need to become something completely different or it will continue to lose money. It will probably be much smaller and cling to life by operating online.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#18155 briandadude   Vita + Xbox CAGiversary!   696 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:56 PM

More like Payless. 

#18156 aircobra   The Wind CAGiversary!   2833 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:49 AM

One of these things is not like the other...

#18157 SueMana  

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:21 AM

Didn't Payless have a ton of debt?

#18158 Davem  

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:31 AM

Toysrus is probably the closest parallel (financial snapshots aside)

I think a lot of people really miss that place and dislike going to Wally/Target/Amazon for their sporadic toy christmas/birthday shopping. 

#18159 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:07 PM

Didn't Payless have a ton of debt?

Yes and so did TRU. Gamestops balance sheets aren't comparable. People would rather compare from a macro "struggling business=struggling business."

Will Gamestop go out of business eventually? Possibly. But there's no impending bankruptcy when theres no creditors demanding repayment.

They're wisely trimming the fat and closing underperforming stores. They still have way too many stores close by. They still have 2 stores across the street from each other in Philly

#18160 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4246 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:33 PM

Yes and so did TRU. Gamestops balance sheets aren't comparable. People would rather compare from a macro "struggling business=struggling business."

Will Gamestop go out of business eventually? Possibly. But there's no impending bankruptcy when theres no creditors demanding repayment.

They're wisely trimming the fat and closing underperforming stores. They still have way too many stores close by. They still have 2 stores across the street from each other in Philly

This is the issue nationwide Gamestop stores are ontop of each other. They've needed to close stores for a long time now and should have pulled the trigger years ago. 

I find it funny when people want to compare Gamestops situation to Toys R Us. Very different situations and Gamestop could very well recover. They should see a nice boost next Holiday season with new hardware out and if they can hit a homerun with some of the things they are starting to try like selling retro games in the store I think they can carve out a nice niche for themselves yet again. I stop into Gamestop fairly often due to how close it is to my house, but would stop in more frequently if they sold retro games at the stores by me just to see what they have. 

#18161 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   147 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:02 PM

Toys r us had a great 2017, but they were really doomed regardless, because of how much money they owed.

I do hope their comeback works, last year sucked for toys, ect at Walmart, target and I missed having toys r us having basically the entire store half off every black Friday

#18162 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:11 PM

Toys r us had a great 2017, but they were really doomed regardless, because of how much money they owed.
I do hope their comeback works, last year subj for toys, ect at Walmart, target and I missed having toys r us having basically the entire store half off every black Friday

Exactly. They couldn't get out of the debt they put themselves into years ago when they bought themselves back. Nothing was going to change that

#18163 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:12 PM

Has anyone seen anything about a national video game day sale or trade bonus today? I remember they had a good one last year

#18164 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1014 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:55 PM

B2G1 Retro games and accessories on the website for National Video Game Day. Online only. 9/12 - 9/15 

#18165 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4246 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:05 PM

B2G1 Retro games and accessories on the website for National Video Game Day. Online only. 9/12 - 9/15 

I've had such bad luck the few times I have ordered any retro games from the site. Got some Dreamcast games awhile back and not a single one was a complete copy.

#18166 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1014 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:20 PM

I hope a kid wishes for Gamestop to stop gutting games and throwing away cases.

#18167 topchief1   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   147 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

topchief1

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:24 PM

They'll be long dead before that happens

#18168 Maneru  

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:36 PM

It’s 3x points for the amount you donate, not your total. Buy $100 worth of stuff and donate $1 will only get you 3 extra points.

#18169 Maneru  

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:38 PM

Nothing worth buying in the retro sale. All the high end stuff is out of stock except the things they are literally selling for double market value like mario party 3

#18170 Maneru  

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:39 PM

If anyone finds anything actually worth it, shout it out

#18171 Maneru  

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:57 PM

also funny how battletoads/double dragon says in stock on the site and you can buy it now but my order for one from labor day still says "waiting product availability" 

#18172 spug21   professor cheap cheap CAGiversary!   263 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:00 PM

As a longtime gs employee I'm surprised how many people complain that their stores throw cases away.
I've never done that and I'm pretty sure no stores in my district do either.

#18173 aircobra   The Wind CAGiversary!   2833 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:12 PM

I think my account might be blocked from online purchases now. I cannot login. I've tried multiple browsers, cleared my cookies, tried on my phone (not on the app). I had another account that isn't a PUR member and had no issues logging into it. Guess I will have to wait on hold with customer service to see what is going on.

#18174 Maneru  

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:36 PM

As a longtime gs employee I'm surprised how many people complain that their stores throw cases away.

Not even ds games? Pretty sure I’ve never seen a ds game in a case at any GameStop ever...

As far as retro stuff goes, it’s 100% gamestops policy to throw away manual and cases, at least for ps1 and ps2 games. In the past few years I’ve probably purchased 100+ ps1 and ps2 games from GameStop.com and not ONCE got a manual or ps1 case. Sometimes ps2 games will come with the original art in a replacement case. I assume they throw away manuals to save weight and shipping cost.

#18175 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4246 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:01 PM

My local store tries to save higher dollar value cases/manuals when they get them in, but for the most part Gamestop tosses the cases for DS games. I honestly think the majority that are traded in are loose already though unfortunately. I am guilty of trading loose games in myself and keeping the cases when I know I will repurchase once I can get it cheap and would hate to buy a loose copy myself and not have a case. That being said I can't be upset since I am occasionally part of the problem.....

#18176 briandadude   Vita + Xbox CAGiversary!   696 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

briandadude

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:40 PM

If GameStop cared about cases/manuals, they would provide an incentive to trading them in. Last time I traded in Mario Odyssey the employee was like "Waaa where's the case? What happened to the case?"

#18177 johnston306   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   749 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

johnston306

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:05 PM

I showed the picture to the guy at my local store and he said he didn't know anything about a $10 reward for Borderlands.

Ghost Recon Breakpoint (PS4, XB1) has a $10 reward cash.

PowerUp Rewards Pro members are eligible for $10 Rewards Cash and Player members are eligible for $5 Rewards cash when a physical copy of Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Breakpoint is pre-ordered and purchased by 10.6.19. Coupon will be delivered to member’s Active Offers within 7 business days of the purchase. Rewards Cash valid through 10.23.19.

#18178 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:27 PM

As far as retro stuff goes, it’s 100% gamestops policy to throw away manual and cases, at least for ps1 and ps2 games. In the past few years I’ve probably purchased 100+ ps1 and ps2 games from GameStop.com and not ONCE got a manual or ps1 case. Sometimes ps2 games will come with the original art in a replacement case. I assume they throw away manuals to save weight and shipping cost.

That's not true.  I've received plenty of PS2 and PS1 games with the case. 

However, I wouldn't be surprised if they tossed the manuals for the PS2 games as they put the disc where the manual should be.  I find it hard to believe that that many people would have traded in the case but kept the manual or lost the manual.

#18179 Agent Hero   Member, Thrift Shop All-Stars CAGiversary!   250 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Agent Hero

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:05 PM

If anyone finds anything actually worth it, shout it out

General Chaos for the Genesis is a fun game that's priced well.  As a kid, I also liked the Jurassic Park game on the Genesis which is dirt cheap.  Mutant League Football, Kid Chameleon, and several other licensed games that won't appear on a Genesis Mini...There are plenty of decent games to find when you aren't looking for the top 10 go-to games on a system.

#18180 boogie4114   Enthusiastic Gamer!! CAGiversary!   2394 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:52 PM

Do you have to preorder Borderlands 3 to get the code for the 48 hour guarantee or just purchase on release date the standard edition?