* * * * - 7 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#2041 thenadz   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   267 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:31 PM

Did anyone actually go to a MS store to find out how much they’d give for an Xbox One S in the US? Curious as all we have is hearsay

For PS4 trade ins at GameStop - do they accept OG launch ps4s that had the HD swapped out or do they flat out reject them?

#2042 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:43 AM

automatic refurbs are only on retro. 360 games get scratched just by looking at them, so he may have just assumed. I always question why something gets a refurb, then kindly ask them to take it off, and then go to another store if I disagree with the call.

Stores place automatic refurbs on retro? Why? They don’t do that around here.

#2043 ritchardf  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 12:59 AM

Stores place automatic refurbs on retro? Why? They don’t do that around here.

They do, but its $0, the refurb is just because all retro is sent out

#2044 anarchyburger   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1281 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

anarchyburger

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:08 AM

Did anyone actually go to a MS store to find out how much they’d give for an Xbox One S in the US? Curious as all we have is hearsay

For PS4 trade ins at GameStop - do they accept OG launch ps4s that had the HD swapped out or do they flat out reject them?

I'm not sure if they will accept it, but I know for sure you won't get an extra boost if you upgraded yours ps4 from 500gb to 1-2tb drive. The serial tells then what model you have, so they are expecting the hard drive to read 500gb if you have an OG model. I doubt they will check, most employees just see if it powers on and reads a disc.

If you had a faulty drive, and you replaced it with different 500gb drive then you should be good.

I'd say if you upgraded the hard drive, and plan on trading it in; take out your bigger hard drive and put in the old stock drive if you still have it. Save you upgraded drive for your new playstation system, or put it in an enclosure to use it as an external drive.

#2045 c.gibbits   Back to the roots. CAGiversary!   254 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

c.gibbits

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:45 AM

Does any recall in previous years of Gamestop having any sort of significant labor day sales or deals?

#2046 Alexpguy  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:36 PM

Does any recall in previous years of Gamestop having any sort of significant labor day sales or deals?

I do believe they've done B2G1 sales on labor day in the past.

#2047 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   643 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 13 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

Finally pulled the trigger and traded in some games I had laying around from various clearance sales and got just under $50 in trade credit thanks to the extra 50% (thanks, California!). Kinda funny how I traded in a “used” copy of :ps3: NCAA Football ‘14 for only $22.50 ($15 base w/o the promo) and they’re turning around and selling it for $40.

I think the better question might be, “who on earth is buying it from them?”

#2048 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:27 PM

So in my hunt for finding a cheap OGXB1 and an XB1S to trade in for an X1X - I actually stumbled upon a mint Xbox One X for $250. Score. After messing around with it, I have come to the conclusion that the Xbox UI is garbage, the controllers are fragile and inaccurate, and resetting an XB1 is a pain.

I am however COMPLETELY blown away by backwards compatibility upgrades via the XB1's emulator. Some OG Xbox games look amazing. 

Highlights include:

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Sid Meier's Pirates!

Ninja Gaiden Black 

SSX 3

I am also blown away by the Red Dead Redemption enhancement.

So even though there are very few first party games for Xbox One, I'm pretty happy with being able to play all these treasures I've found thrifting. For $250 - it was well worth it for me. $500 not so much.

#2049 willworkforbits   Mark CAGiversary!   54 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

willworkforbits

Posted 13 August 2018 - 03:47 PM

So in my hunt for finding a cheap OGXB1 and an XB1S to trade in for and X1X - I actually stumbled upon a mint Xbox One X for $250. Score. After messing around with it, I have come the the conclusion that the Xbox UI is garbage, the controllers are fragile and inaccurate, and resetting an XB1 is a pain.

I am however COMPLETELY blown away by backwards compatibility upgrades via the XB1's emulator. Some OG Xbox games look amazing. 

Highlights include:

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Sid Meier's Pirates!

Ninja Gaiden Black 

SSX 3

I also am blown away by the Red Dead Redemption enhancement.

So even though there are very few first party games for Xbox One, I'm pretty happy with being able to play all these treasures I've found thrifting. For $250 - it was well worth it for me. $500 not so much.

No one should be paying $500 for an Xbox One X - I bought mine at least 8 months ago or so on eBay during their % off sales they always run and it was around 360 or so with a bonus controller from AntOnline after eBay bucks were added in.  

The backwards compatibility is amazing.  And I agree, the UI is bad and seems to get worse with every update.  

#2050 RPGamer246   I Game You Game We Game CAGiversary!   979 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:06 PM

anyone know of any good promos starting now that same cash/credit is done. or if the 20% extra for cards is still active today?

#2051 rydall   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   76 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:25 PM

I think they are doing the extra $5 towards trades when u pre order a game again. As long as the game is worth $2 or more in trade. Seen it in thier window this morning

#2052 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   3955 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:43 PM

I am so tempted to trade my OG Xbox One for the $200, but I need to figure out how I can get an additional $300 in credit with minimal effort. 

#2053 boogie4114   Enthusiastic Gamer!! CAGiversary!   2293 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 04:58 PM

I think they are doing the extra $5 towards trades when u pre order a game again. As long as the game is worth $2 or more in trade. Seen it in thier window this morning

Does it count if you do it to an existing preorder and do you have to do multiple transactions if you want to do separate games towards 1 preorder?

#2054 jbg87   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   274 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:22 PM

I bought a game today And a code was printed on my receipt for an extra $5 when trading in a game $2 or more

#2055 WWF   Games Jandolfini & Bobby Balaklava CAGiversary!   976 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:45 PM

Another Q for people looking to buy Xbox and gift receipt towards Spider, do they put the refund on an actual GC then, meaning you’d have to pay tax on the Pro?

#2056 Alexpguy  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 05:51 PM

I bought a game today And a code was printed on my receipt for an extra $5 when trading in a game $2 or more

Is it a unique or generic code?

#2057 rydall   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   76 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:01 PM

Does it count if you do it to an existing preorder and do you have to do multiple transactions if you want to do separate games towards 1 preorder?

Last time it worked on pre existing. This time I'm not sure. I did trade some things in for new pre orders and it trigged on all 4 of my trades when I pre ordered 4 things. I think stipulations are that it has to be worth $2 or more and be a PS4, Xbox one or switch game.

#2058 Omni99  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:59 PM

I had one too, but they never got mine to work. It always came up "invalid".

#2059 thecobb8   Welcome to Cobb CAGiversary!   176 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

thecobb8

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:51 PM

I think the better question might be, “who on earth is buying it from them?”

Unless you get lucky finding NCAA 14 in the wild somewhere $45 is the going rate on  :360: . No less than $40 or so even on ebay. Getting harder to find and around the start of football season people want it more. SO sad its not backwards compat though.

#2060 thecobb8   Welcome to Cobb CAGiversary!   176 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

thecobb8

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:05 PM

I have an og white and I'm also trying to decide if I want to upgrade, The only thing that really interests me is Horizon 4 but Im not sure if its worth upgrading just for that.

#2061 GamerSavage   The Throwback Kid CAGiversary!   1044 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

GamerSavage

Posted 13 August 2018 - 11:07 PM

Unless you get lucky finding NCAA 14 in the wild somewhere $45 is the going rate on  :360: . No less than $40 or so even on ebay. Getting harder to find and around the start of football season people want it more. SO sad its not backwards compat though.

This all the way. Add to that the fact that it can't be purchased digital via PSN or XBL either. It was delisted in the last year or so. Even on :ps3: it can be hard to find for less than $35-$40 or so.

#2062 WWF   Games Jandolfini & Bobby Balaklava CAGiversary!   976 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 12:48 AM

Are people still updating the rosters “illegally” like they did for PS2 NFL2K5?

#2063 bige562   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   381 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:36 AM

http://www.espn.com/...ve-years-demise

#2064 EYEL1NER   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2011 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:31 AM

Tempted to go get an OG Xbone someone is selling for $100 on FB and the PS4 that's on CL for $150 and taking them in to get an X for only $50 more... assuming they work, of course.

#2065 ThatOneGuyWho   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6296 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

ThatOneGuyWho

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:26 AM

Illegal? I don't follow these games but why even put the option to change rosters if it's illegal, and why is it illegal?

#2066 WWF   Games Jandolfini & Bobby Balaklava CAGiversary!   976 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 03:31 AM

Illegal? I don't follow these games but why even put the option to change rosters if it's illegal, and why is it illegal?

Because on older consoles you could create phony/modified save files and distribute them, sharing a save file with one dude’s roster work post 360 era could lead to account bans. Creating an actual dupe roster update file for the game to recognize as being from EA might require hacking modding j tagging whatever to your systems.

#2067 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:22 AM

This all the way. Add to that the fact that it can't be purchased digital via PSN or XBL either. It was delisted in the last year or so. Even on :ps3: it can be hard to find for less than $35-$40 or so.

Sure, but is NCAA 14 so great that it’s worth buying for $40 as opposed to buying NCAA 13 for a buck?

#2068 mrclutch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4060 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:34 AM

Sure, but is NCAA 14 so great that it’s worth buying for $40 as opposed to buying NCAA 13 for a buck?

the gameplay was about the same if that’s what you are asking. If you don’t want 14 for the rosters, you can just get 13i if you want to mess around with a football game.

If they would ever make NCAA 14 BC I’d probably unhook my 360. I know it won’t happen with all of the controversy but it would be. So glad I picked it up for five bucks before it got delisted.

#2069 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   3955 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:16 PM

I have an og white and I'm also trying to decide if I want to upgrade, The only thing that really interests me is Horizon 4 but Im not sure if its worth upgrading just for that.

Same here, I want a One X and will eventually get one but I feel like if I did get one now I'd still be primarily playing my PS4 for exclusives like Spider-Man this Fall. If I had a One X I would play most of my multiplatform games there, but I think I can deal with playing those on PS4 Pro and save myself some money until they drop the price or have a nice bundle for the One X. 

#2070 FatBoyInside   Money costs too much CAGiversary!   2383 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

FatBoyInside

Posted 14 August 2018 - 02:11 PM

I am also slowly amassing 4k uhd movies to one day be able to play them on a nice special edition One X bundle in the near future.