* * * * - 16 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#21781 TimPV3   I don't play games, I play GameStop CAGiversary!   3030 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:44 PM

And Digital Devil Saga 2 with that box cutter slice along the back of the case. They're not doing it to defraud investors, they're doing it so they can price it well above MSRP without upsetting publishers.

#21782 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4431 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2019 - 02:57 PM

Anyone remember when the Gamecube ports of Resident Evil 2, 3 and Code Veronica were rare and out of print, and Capcom re-printed them, and almost immediately, gamestop took a $30 new game, gutted them all, and resold them as "Used" for like $40+? :D/ :D/

They have been doing this for years. I remember specifically when I worked there we had mysteriously gotten some "used copies" of Guitaroo Man for PS2 and the new price was like $19.99, but used it was at least double that at $40, may have been a bit more but I can't remember. These were definitely new copies of the game though. I had seen the same earlier with stuff like Suikoden 2. 

#21783 Super Strider TurbulenceEX   Son of the Old Gods CAGiversary!   767 Posts   Joined 2.2 Years Ago  

Super Strider TurbulenceEX

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:11 PM

I didn't know they reprinted Suikoden II. I shoulda been all over that.

I do remember the games that started all this madness, when Gamesquestdirect mysteriously got brand new copies of Rhapsody and Persona 2 and everyone figured out they were reprints because they didn't come with the Playstation security sticker. Gamestop received stock of the same games eventually with a boost in price.

Quick Question and just so I can avoid a ban (although at this point, I don't know why I care): I'm good with trading in 4 copies of the same game in a month, but trading in a 5th copy will get me banned?

#21784 Super Strider TurbulenceEX   Son of the Old Gods CAGiversary!   767 Posts   Joined 2.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2019 - 03:21 PM

Thanks, Omni99

#21785 DisGonnaBeGood   But I need tacos! I need them or I will explode. CAGiversary!   3821 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

DisGonnaBeGood

Posted 11 December 2019 - 04:58 PM

I take it there's no good deals/trade promos, since the conversation has devolved into talking about that one YouTube guy again.

#21786 godofwar7  

godofwar7

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:05 PM

I take it there's no good deals/trade promos, since the conversation has devolved into talking about that one YouTube guy again.

4 for 20 boomerang is still going strong.

I think everyone was just talking financials since GS's quarterly report came out yesterday and the results were quite bad.

#21787 Daniel_Shadow170  

Daniel_Shadow170

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:13 PM

I still need gamestop for just a few more cheap vita game's.

Being banned sucks. I did a 15 hour move and the couple gave me the OG ds and all the mario game's with case's (keeping these). And a ton of xbox one game's i don't care for some as new as 3 month's ago.

#21788 bonesawisready   YES! YES! YES! CAGiversary!   1870 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

bonesawisready

Posted 11 December 2019 - 05:18 PM

Any good 360 BC 4 for 20s other than Skate?

#21789 johnnymavrik   The Evil Genius CAGiversary!   812 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

johnnymavrik

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:06 PM

I've been trying to chip away at my trade in credit by moving games from GS to Amazon. It's less than $200 now..but the proces is slow.

#21790 aircobra   The Wind CAGiversary!   3645 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2019 - 06:37 PM

Lol employee appreciation is this weekend.

#21791 WarGames92  

WarGames92

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:38 PM

I've been trying to chip away at my trade in credit by moving games from GS to Amazon. It's less than $200 now..but the proces is slow.

How are you doing it?  The stores in my area don't have any non-game related gift cards anymore.

#21792 johnston306   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   817 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

johnston306

Posted 11 December 2019 - 07:46 PM

How are you doing it? The stores in my area don't have any non-game related gift cards anymore.

He/she buys games at GameStop and trades them in to Amazon.

#21793 Super Strider TurbulenceEX   Son of the Old Gods CAGiversary!   767 Posts   Joined 2.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:00 PM

I didn't even think to use Gamestop credit or reward certs to buy a gift card! I see them at all the stores I go to, so I convert them if I can.

#21794 WarGames92  

WarGames92

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:05 PM

He/she buys games at GameStop and trades them in to Amazon.

That....sounds like a high labor/low reward sicheashun.

#21795 MSUHitman   former Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14797 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:09 PM

I didn't even think to use Gamestop credit or reward certs to buy a gift card! I see them at all the stores I go to, so I convert them if I can.

A few months ago GS shut off being able to spend store credit to purchase the various store gift cards stores carry. And stores do have them as they weren’t in the original fall store reset, but GS sent up to 2K count of cards per store & had someone come in to reorganize them (see GS Reddit thread.)

You may still be able to use the money off purchase reward certificates to buy store gift cards, but there were some unverified reports of that being shut off as well.

You can still use store credit to buy gaming cards like PSN, XBox currency, etc.

#21796 johnnymavrik   The Evil Genius CAGiversary!   812 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

johnnymavrik

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:13 PM

That....sounds like a high labor/low reward sicheashun.

Like I said..its a slow process. The GS shares a parking lot with the Target I frequent a lot...so I keep an eye out for small flips from GS to Amazon to hopefully stay under the radar. The problem is..with Target there...I seem to get trade in credit at GS from Target clearance games faster than I can move it anywhere else. So I really am hoping that they (GS) stay in biz since I'm not a high volume purchaser from them and have trouble signicantly drawing down my card.

Or maybe I'll just get Scarlett when it drops. 🤬

#21797 Moses144   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   638 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:13 PM

It's pretty easy to convert PSN/eShop credit to Pay Pal on a site like gametz. I see it go for 90% value pretty constantly, so if you just want to move that $200 to real money you can turn it into $180 without much fuss or muss.

#21798 johnnymavrik   The Evil Genius CAGiversary!   812 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

johnnymavrik

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:15 PM

It's pretty easy to convert PSN/eShop credit to Pay Pal on a site like gametz. I see it go for 90% value pretty constantly, so if you just want to move that $200 to real money you can turn it into $180 without much fuss or muss.

I assume the middleman takes some type of cut too?

#21799 Moses144   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   638 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:26 PM

No there's no middle man on gametz. It's just a trading platform.

#21800 jms209   CAG Newbie CAGiversary!   810 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:37 PM

Most people already know this, but xbox credit is MS store credit.

Couple of months ago converted $300 of my gamestop credit to xbox credit by buying $50 cards. Ended up buying 8tb hdd,samsung t5 ssd and some other stuff. Might work for some, mostly if it's on sale as MS store prices are sometimes too high.

#21801 Chakius   Banned Banned   303 Posts   Joined 0.9 Years Ago  

Chakius

Posted 11 December 2019 - 08:39 PM

No there's no middle man on gametz. It's just a trading platform.

Sounds high risk.  But I'm not familiar with the service anyways, so I don't know either way.  But shenanigans could happen (sellers loss)?

---

On another note, the GS website was working this morning again to make online purchases using gift cards (store credit, etc).  I was getting worried since some certs I needed to unload expire at the end of the year.  It worked and I used all of them .. whew!

All last week and part of the week before, I was getting the error "Transaction declined, please use another payment method", upon clicking Place Order.  I thought it was just my account at first, but I saw others complaining they couldn't place orders either.

Maybe they rebooted the server, I dunno.

#21802 WigBuster   Banned Banned   296 Posts   Joined 0.8 Years Ago  

WigBuster

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:45 PM

Like I said..its a slow process. The GS shares a parking lot with the Target I frequent a lot...so I keep an eye out for small flips from GS to Amazon to hopefully stay under the radar. The problem is..with Target there...I seem to get trade in credit at GS from Target clearance games faster than I can move it anywhere else. So I really am hoping that they (GS) stay in biz since I'm not a high volume purchaser from them and have trouble signicantly drawing down my card.

Or maybe I'll just get Scarlett when it drops. 🤬

That target is a mess. If you're talking about the P Hill one, do you go right away when you get a notification that a clearance game dropped? I've never seen a good deal at that one. But then again, I've never seen a good deal at target ever.

#21803 johnnymavrik   The Evil Genius CAGiversary!   812 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

johnnymavrik

Posted 11 December 2019 - 09:53 PM

That target is a mess. If you're talking about the P Hill one, do you go right away when you get a notification that a clearance game dropped? I've never seen a good deal at that one. But then again, I've never seen a good deal at target ever.

No I work closer to the one in Richmond off of Macdonald. So lunch break between that location and/or the Albany one I usually can find some deals every few weeks. The GS in the Macdonald shopping center is a prestige...despite it being where it is. 😄

#21804 TimPV3   I don't play games, I play GameStop CAGiversary!   3030 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:09 PM

Most people already know this, but xbox credit is MS store credit.
Couple of months ago converted $300 of my gamestop credit to xbox credit by buying $50 cards. Ended up buying 8tb hdd,samsung t5 ssd and some other stuff. Might work for some, mostly if it's on sale as MS store prices are sometimes too high.

Holy smokes, thanks for the reminder! Totally forgot about this.

#21805 Agent Hero  

Agent Hero

Posted 11 December 2019 - 10:29 PM

Sounds high risk.  But I'm not familiar with the service anyways, so I don't know either way.  But shenanigans could happen (sellers loss)?

---

On another note, the GS website was working this morning again to make online purchases using gift cards (store credit, etc).  I was getting worried since some certs I needed to unload expire at the end of the year.  It worked and I used all of them .. whew!

All last week and part of the week before, I was getting the error "Transaction declined, please use another payment method", upon clicking Place Order.  I thought it was just my account at first, but I saw others complaining they couldn't place orders either.

Maybe they rebooted the server, I dunno.

Gametz is garbage.  Years ago when I was there, it was basically a small clique of low-ballers who would trade amongst themselves and troll the heck out of anyone who dared to offer trades that weren't slanted in their favor.  Also when trading, you have to buy two or three types of tracking to protect yourself from the scammers on there who would say they didn't receive what was traded or they'd say the item wasn't as described.

#21806 Yonoid675  

Yonoid675

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:05 PM

Got trade banned. Was able to get 3 switch lites and a spider man PS4 pro with only spending 18$. Thanks Gamestop ❤️❤️❤️

#21807 Chakius   Banned Banned   303 Posts   Joined 0.9 Years Ago  

Chakius

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:11 PM

Got trade banned. Was able to get 3 switch lites and a spider man PS4 pro with only spending 18$. Thanks Gamestop ❤️❤️❤️

You'll miss out on the Christmas sale :(

You could have laundered your purchases over the next month. /peace ❤️❤️❤️

#21808 Super Strider TurbulenceEX   Son of the Old Gods CAGiversary!   767 Posts   Joined 2.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 December 2019 - 11:50 PM

lol nice. I'm flirting on the line of being banned, but it's worth the risk. This has been the best flipping I took part in since the glory days of FYE and their $27 values
for games that were under $5 at EB!

#21809 Chakius   Banned Banned   303 Posts   Joined 0.9 Years Ago  

Chakius

Posted 12 December 2019 - 12:08 AM

So where do all these "tech trades" get reported? Pre-owned hardware? Can't see how they plan to become a big player in that market... or if it will even exist with how disposable our phone habits are these days. 

So I had your same question.

Apparently they get offed to "Asian Countries", where they get cannibalized to make new phones.  Doesn't that make you happy on your next phone purchase, reconstructed, made in .. lets call it out .. China.

Bad China trade deals :(

#21810 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAG Veteran   621 Posts   Joined 1.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 December 2019 - 01:02 AM

So I had your same question.

Apparently they get offed to "Asian Countries", where they get cannibalized to make new phones.  Doesn't that make you happy on your next phone purchase, reconstructed, made in .. lets call it out .. China.

"HC" is quite a loser .. a nice mouth though.

Kind of ironic they are flipping stuff from chumps like us! haha 

I don't see why anyone would buy a pre-owned phone from GS.. or even a smart watch when you see all these sales for new ones on Amazon/Wally all the time.