* * * * - 15 votes

The Gamestop Thread

Gamestop GS Weekly Gamestop Deals Gamestop Thread

#25081 johnnymavrik   The Evil Genius CAGiversary!   711 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

johnnymavrik

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:36 PM

when does the extra $5 end? Today?

Nevemind app says 2/9

#25082 PixelDestructor  

PixelDestructor

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:46 PM

Does the $5 extra credit work towards digital preorders?

#25083 jbg87   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   655 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:50 PM

It ends 2/9 but the small print says on Xbox one, PS4 and switch. It wasn’t til the other day that the bonus applied for all games. So I would get rid of the games soon what if they change it tomorrow.

#25084 Chakius  

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:56 PM

Traded in a ton of Vita & PS4 games - all with a base value of $2 or more. Put the credit towards Animal Crossing preorder, an already released game - tokyo mirage on switch, and put the rest on a gamestop card. All the games I traded in retained the +5 bonus.

Interesting.  I wonder if this would work on any brand new title on shelves, or just recently released ones.

#25085 Kpjcelj   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   70 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:01 PM

I called GameStop customer service today regarding the $5 not being on my PUR account. I was told that because I renewed before November 8th that I would not get the $5 a month until February 1st. I stated that was false advertising and that there was no mention of that happening. He then stated I should have received a $10 off coupon, which is another thing I didn’t know about. He said he forwarded my case to be looked at for the $10 coupon. I asked to speak to a supervisor about my $5, to which he stated they would tell me the same thing. I insisted, and was told I wouldn’t be able to talk to one today and would have to call back another day. I insisted again and got transferred to a woman with an Indian accent. I informed her of the situation and she assured me I would be receiving TWO $5 coupons on February 1st. One for January and one for February.
We shall see.

What’s up with that. I had a problem and the person I got barley understood what I was saying, so I asked to speak to a supervisor and she literally refused.

#25086 Vigilante   Let the Battles Begin CAGiversary!   37471 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:05 PM

Interesting.  I wonder if this would work on any brand new title on shelves, or just recently released ones.

He said that after mentioning he preordered Animal Crossing, which triggered the $5 bonus.

#25087 Chakius  

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:09 PM

What’s up with that. I had a problem and the person I got barley understood what I was saying, so I asked to speak to a supervisor and she literally refused.

YMMV, but I believe they generally aren't allow to hang up on you, unless your being an abusive dick.  So just keep repeating your stance, then show signs of being confused upon their response, then (while still being polite!) add a couple more tidbits to the conversation (maybe even something that takes time to lookup, let alone answer), following up by coming back to what you were saying earlier.

I could be wrong, but I think they are paid [or allowed to keep their job] based on volume of calls resolved.  If you seem to be taking too long to resolve, they just throw money at you (points actually in this case) to make you say "goodbye" and hang-up.

Best bet is to just maintain your cool at all times.  Never insult, never raise your voice.  They just want to keep their job, not save GS money.

[I wouldn't be surprised if they operated under some sort of GS metrics as well, such as points given out vs. calls resolved .. which would explain why they are bullish to give out points.  If the conversation is eating time while just going in circles (recommended), it's more effective to throw points and end the call. Just IMO, based on personal experience -- no proof.]

#25088 RoytheRobot   El Piraguero. CAGiversary!   2571 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

RoytheRobot

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:24 PM

In case anyone is in doubt, I can confirm 4x10/4x20 is still active.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

#25089 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5537 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:01 PM

He said that after mentioning he preordered Animal Crossing, which triggered the $5 bonus.

I helped my uncle jack off a horse.

This is why school is important. For anyone confused, the Animal Crossing post should have read: "Put the credit towards Animal Crossing, an already released game - Tokyo Mirage on Switch - and put the rest on a GameStop card." And now they want to change the meaning of literally to not mean literally? Crazy.

#25090 breakingcustoms   To The Max! CAGiversary!   2852 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

breakingcustoms

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:03 PM

Found a copy of the Sinking City for X1 for $10. Been waiting for a solid drop and this was it. Come on $10 Call of Cthulhu and Bee Simulator!

#25091 User65536  

User65536

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:04 PM

In case anyone is in doubt, I can confirm 4x10/4x20 is still active.

According to the SL at my local store, the current marketing cycle is supposed to end on February 9th, so let's hope they don't end it early. 

#25092 Chakius  

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:07 PM

I helped my uncle jack off a horse.

That horse will never testify.  Ever.

#25093 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:33 PM

You can pretty much preorder anything.

I assume as long as it’s physical? Sports Story on Switch is something I’ll definitely get this year, but I’m guessing digital won’t work.

#25094 jbg87   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   655 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2020 - 08:56 PM

Also what’s the deal with refurb fees?

On Monday I was charged $5 on a Minecraft ps3 disc with a small scratch....today at the same store I was charged .75 cents for a wario game hella scratched and $2 for new super Mario bros hella scratched. Is there different fees based on title.

#25095 Davem   Picture was the top google result for my username CAG Veteran   318 Posts   Joined 0.5 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:01 PM

Confirm +$5 also works on Wii Wii U 3DS and DS games which meet the min $2 threshold.

Traded in at my home store this time and didn’t get any caveats to the preorder bonus rules - just put $5 down on Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and the rest on a trade card! Then heard on the radio about Kobe... :-(

#25096 jbg87   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   655 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:06 PM

Go to a different store.

I don’t mind being charged 75 cents or $2 tbh discs were destroyed. And we’re purchased in a big lot I ended up getting $15 for them combined still. I’d just like to know how refurbish fees work and what makes them cost more or less for future.

I only trade games that I can’t sell for cash profit... traded in 2 copies of nintendogs ds for $15 combined that won’t happen on eBay with fees.

#25097 ilovexboxone   video game master CAGiversary!   852 Posts   Joined 2.1 Years Ago  

ilovexboxone

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:07 PM

Sparklite is on sale for $10 PS4/XB1 and $15 Switch: https://www.gamestop...ch/?q=sparklite

is it the online deal of the day??

i see the sinking city is also $10

Edited by ilovexboxone, 26 January 2020 - 09:21 PM.

#25098 RoytheRobot   El Piraguero. CAGiversary!   2571 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

RoytheRobot

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:32 PM

Confirm +$5 also works on Wii Wii U 3DS and DS games which meet the min $2 threshold.

Traded in at my home store this time and didn’t get any caveats to the preorder bonus rules - just put $5 down on Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and the rest on a trade card! Then heard on the radio about Kobe... :-(

I'm still shocked about Kobe. Wow it's freaking sad.

#25099 knightsdwn   Beautiful Plastic CAGiversary!   3425 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:46 PM

It ends 2/9 but the small print says on Xbox one, PS4 and switch. It wasn’t til the other day that the bonus applied for all games. So I would get rid of the games soon what if they change it tomorrow.

I tried PS3 games the first day the extra $5 trade in promotion went into effect and it was a no go. Has anyone tried trading in PS3 games with higher than $2 value recently?

#25100 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5537 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:47 PM

You didn't read the last few posts?

#25101 knightsdwn   Beautiful Plastic CAGiversary!   3425 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:52 PM

You didn't read the last few posts?

Everyone traded in everything OTHER than PS3 games.

EDIT:  Checked the last page. It does work. Thanks!

#25102 oldcasio  

oldcasio

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:08 PM

Everyone get your trades in today. This’ll probably get nerfed sooner rather than later.

#25103 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4409 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:11 PM

Got it for X1. Thank you. Havent seen this deal posted anywhere, not even on the deals section of the website.

I only saw it because DekuDeals caught the Switch drop. When I checked GS and saw it was even cheaper on PS4/XB1, I ordered a PS4 copy.

#25104 Joe Fongul   Slave to the Grind.. CAGiversary!   1306 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:14 PM

Picked up a used copy of Sinking City for $8.99.  Noticed that the game was a recent conversion from new to used, so it had all of the included items from the new copy of the game (DLC Codes & Map).

Looked around and noticed a lot of recent conversions from new to used including:

:ps4::switch::xb1: Close to the Sun

:ps4: Death's Gambit

:ps4::switch: Forager

:ps4::xb1: Greedfall

:ps4::switch::xb1: Northgard

:ps4::switch::xb1: Remothered: Tormented Fathers

:ps4::xb1: Roman Rumble in Las Vegum: Asterix & Obelix XXL 2

:ps4: Stranded Sails

:ps4::switch: Wargroove 

:ps4::xb1: Warhammer: Vermintide II 

Not sure if there are others, but there is a ton of Outer Worlds for PS4 preowned that I noticed at multiple locations as well...

#25105 Chakius  

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:21 PM

I tried PS3 games the first day the extra $5 trade in promotion went into effect and it was a no go. Has anyone tried trading in PS3 games with higher than $2 value recently?

You could always read older posts, as your question was already answered.

Multiple times.

#25106 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   3469 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:46 PM

You could always read older posts, as your question was already answered.

Multiple times.

Yesterday someone asked a question that I answered just two posts above them..

#25107 Joe Fongul   Slave to the Grind.. CAGiversary!   1306 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:47 PM

Ah, so that's what I heard the associates talking about at the GS I went to a few days ago. Is it more or less just buying used and basically getting new? Not a price drop or anything?

Pretty much.  There used to be a separate thread on here detailing when games did get converted as it was a way especially with Collector's Editions to grab some of the goodies (i.e. the Steelbook).  You are then able to get essentially a new game for the used price.  I saw Sinking City yesterday going for $49.99 & did not touch it with a ten foot pole.  But at $8.99, I will gladly take it.  Look for these recent conversions to drop in price & snag them up! 

While I'm replying remembered a couple more...

:ps4: Angry Birds Movie 2 VR: Under Pressure

:ps4: Sairento VR

#25108 nevermeltice  

nevermeltice

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:48 PM

Ordered Kill la Kill IF on Switch for 19.97. Figured it won't go much lower than that

#25109 bubster93   WOT! CAGiversary!   184 Posts   Joined 2.7 Years Ago  

bubster93

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:50 PM

If you're going to gamestop, pick up a copy of the ad. It says that all games get the $5 bonus. There was also signage listing all games get the trade, so the website might be a mistake.

Also, heard about Kobe Bryant. My first memory of Kobe was seeing NBA Courtside for the N64 for the first time. #RIP

#25110 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:09 PM

Also what’s the deal with refurb fees?

On Monday I was charged $5 on a Minecraft ps3 disc with a small scratch....today at the same store I was charged .75 cents for a wario game hella scratched and $2 for new super Mario bros hella scratched. Is there different fees based on title.

To my knowledge the refurb fee is proportional to the trade in value of the game. Can’t recall the exact numbers though.