- - - - -

Criterion Blu-Ray Deals Megathread - Barnes and Noble 50% off Sale Now!

Criterion Blu-Ray Artsy Subtitled Akira Kurosawa

#1 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2655 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:08 PM

This is the only kind of deal I actually monitor, so I'll keep this thread updated for anyone else interested.

Right now, Barnes and Noble is having their twice-yearly (July and November) 50% off sale! This is generally the cheapest the titles ever get, outside of random Amazon price drops, so this is the time to buy.

Titles I recommend that have been released since the last flash sale:

Mishima: A Life In Four Chapters

Au Hasard Balthazar

The Other Side of Hope

Dead Man

The sale also applies to preorders that will be out before the sale is over, such as sex, lies, and videotape, and preorders count towards free shipping even though they'll ship separately. I dunno, B&N is weird.

Reminder: You get an extra 10% off in-store with B&N's membership card. Does not work online.

Because of B&N's sale, Amazon has marked down most single-film Blu-Rays to $23, so a bit more than B&N but it might be worth the extra money to not have to deal with them. However, there are some that either match the 50% off or come very close:

Apu Trilogy - $49.99

Dekalog - $49.99

Trilogia de Guillermo Del Toro (Cronos, The Devil's Backbone, Pan's Labyrinth) - $49.99

Dietrich and von Sternberg in Hollywood - $62.49

Three Colors (Blue, White, Red) - $39.99

BELOW 50% off MSRP (true HOT DEALZ):

The Passion of Joan of Arc - $19.08

Tree of Life (Preorder) - $22.89

Ghost World - $18.29 [Walmart]

Ghost World is also now $17.97 at Amazon.

(Thanks to Josef for the two above!)

#2 georox   The Captain CAGiversary!   7568 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:51 AM

Remember back when coupons stacked with this? Good times...

#3 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   11328 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:57 AM

Speaking of Amazon preorders, the Tree of Life is currently $22.89 (which is over half off the $49.95 MSRP):

https://www.amazon.c...ds=tree of life

They are matching Walmart but Walmart has already canceled orders so it is likely safer to order from Amazon.

Also, Walmart currently has Ghost World for $18.29, which I believe is greater than a 50% discount.  I ordered from them last week and it came in so they should still have stock.

https://www.walmart....lu-ray/55540800

#4 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2655 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:34 PM

Speaking of Amazon preorders, the Tree of Life is currently $22.89 (which is over half off the $49.95 MSRP):

https://www.amazon.c...ds=tree of life

They are matching Walmart but Walmart has already canceled orders so it is likely safer to order from Amazon.

Also, Walmart currently has Ghost World for $18.29, which I believe is greater than a 50% discount.  I ordered from them last week and it came in so they should still have stock.

https://www.walmart....lu-ray/55540800

Will add these to the OP. I thought Tree of Life had the standard $40 MSRP so I didn't put it there.

Also added Lady Snowblood which received a further price drop.

#5 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   11328 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:27 AM

There is a 25% off code on Google Express through 7/17 - so you can order some of the cheaply priced Criterions at Walmart (through Google Express) and get an even bigger discount.

#6 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2655 Posts   Joined 3.6 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:31 PM

Just announced, a GIANT 39-film Ingmar Bergman set. You can preorder direct from Criterion for $240 (40% off the $400 MSRP), but it will release in November, during the next B&N sale. Still, if you're worried about availability, it might not be a bad idea to get an order in now.