Criterion Blu-Ray Deals Megathread - B&N November Sale Now Live!

Larry Davis

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
This is the only kind of deal I actually monitor, so I'll keep this thread updated for anyone else interested.

Barnes and Noble's semi-annual sale is now live, and will run for the rest of the month (as far as I know). Remember that you can get preorders for half-off too, and use them to pad your order for free shipping: even if items ship separately, the total is all that matters.

Currently:

Some Like It Hot is $19.59 on Amazon

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of Amazon preorders, the Tree of Life is currently $22.89 (which is over half off the $49.95 MSRP):

https://www.amazon.com/Tree-Life-Blu-ray-Jessica-Chastain/dp/B07D3QDWFN/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1530788121&sr=1-5&keywords=tree+of+life

They are matching Walmart but Walmart has already canceled orders so it is likely safer to order from Amazon.

Also, Walmart currently has Ghost World for $18.29, which I believe is greater than a 50% discount.  I ordered from them last week and it came in so they should still have stock.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ghost-World-Blu-ray/55540800

Speaking of Amazon preorders, the Tree of Life is currently $22.89 (which is over half off the $49.95 MSRP):

https://www.amazon.com/Tree-Life-Blu-ray-Jessica-Chastain/dp/B07D3QDWFN/ref=sr_1_5?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1530788121&sr=1-5&keywords=tree+of+life

They are matching Walmart but Walmart has already canceled orders so it is likely safer to order from Amazon.

Also, Walmart currently has Ghost World for $18.29, which I believe is greater than a 50% discount. I ordered from them last week and it came in so they should still have stock.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ghost-World-Blu-ray/55540800
Will add these to the OP. I thought Tree of Life had the standard $40 MSRP so I didn't put it there.

Also added Lady Snowblood which received a further price drop.

There is a 25% off code on Google Express through 7/17 - so you can order some of the cheaply priced Criterions at Walmart (through Google Express) and get an even bigger discount.

At walmart Salo comes up on the search result as $18.96 and on the product page as $22.97. You may be able to haggle with them on the price on chat in regards to the pricing inconsistency.

Watching those shock movies once is enough, couldn't imagine actually wanting to own them. What's on the cover, a slave eating his own shit on a platter? Am I supposed to display it next to A Serbian Film?

Watching those shock movies once is enough, couldn't imagine actually wanting to own them. What's on the cover, a slave eating his own shit on a platter? Am I supposed to display it next to A Serbian Film?
Nah, A Serbian Film is on the horror/gore shelf, Salo is on the Criterion shelf :D

You should try August Underground sometime, it's a hoot.

I've already watched Melancholie der Angel, can't imagine anything being worse than that.

Carnival of Souls, M, Kwaidan, Eyes Without A Face, Lone Wolf and Cub, Solaris--those are movies I'd want to own. You won't find one about a bunch of naked people chained up killing each other and eating shit to amuse the rich on my shelf. Criterion releases way too many movies they consider "classic" or "influential" that actually aren't. Movies like Rushmore and Bull Durham get released, but The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari doesn't? Not a single Jodorowsky? Blasphemy.

I've already watched Melancholie der Angel, can't imagine anything being worse than that.

Carnival of Souls, M, Kwaidan, Eyes Without A Face, Lone Wolf and Cub, Solaris--those are movies I'd want to own. You won't find one about a bunch of naked people chained up killing each other and eating shit to amuse the rich on my shelf. Criterion releases way too many movies they consider "classic" or "influential" that actually aren't. Movies like Rushmore and Bull Durham get released, but The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari doesn't? Not a single Jodorowsky? Blasphemy.
If I want (want, mind you, though I can't ever think of a saddened state of life where I'd want it) to watch shit eating, there's always 2 girls 1 cup.

Don't think Criterion can get the rights to Jodorowsky, but I'd buy those day 1, no questions. My blurays of El Topo and Holy Mountain are ABKCO, but I'm not sure about Santa Sangre's.

In most cases it comes down to rights issues. And even if you don't like the subject matter of Salo (I don't, and won't buy it) it's undeniably influential and important.

I do think Bull Durham is stupid, but I think it's also one of their highest sellers. Stuff like that is basically just there to bankroll the very niche releases.

Anyway, speaking of movies I have no intention of buying, Some Like It Hot (preorder, out next month) is $19.59 on Amazon.

Picked up these.

Night of the Living Dead
Silence of the Lambs
Tokyo Drifter
The Princess Bride
Ingmar Bergman's Cinema

Got the shipping notice just now for everything but Ingar obviously. :)

Oddly enough they shipped my Tokyo Drifters by itself.

Picked up these.

Night of the Living Dead
Silence of the Lambs
Tokyo Drifter
The Princess Bride
Ingmar Bergman's Cinema

Got the shipping notice just now for everything but Ingar obviously. :)

Oddly enough they shipped my Tokyo Drifters by itself.
They always do weird split shipments. B&N's shipping is very strange... Especially their "express" speed which, in my experience, took a week longer than the standard shipping every time.

Did some Xmas/birthday shopping for a friend and they split that shipment in two as well.

^^^

Thank you, it is been a bit since I ordered from them. And crazy that their express took longer then standard lol.

Amazon has matched some of these, but I keep waiting for Best Buy to follow suit. No dice and their online chat has been "unavailable" for the last 2 days. Really stretching my patience.

Long over due to grab Fear and Loathing & Dr Strangelove.

Amazon has matched some of these, but I keep waiting for Best Buy to follow suit. No dice and their online chat has been "unavailable" for the last 2 days. Really stretching my patience.

Long over due to grab Fear and Loathing & Dr Strangelove.
Their online chat has been unavailable for even longer I believe as I tried 5 days ago and wasn't able to do it. I did eventually call their number though and was able to get a price match through the phone number.

Their online chat has been unavailable for even longer I believe as I tried 5 days ago and wasn't able to do it. I did eventually call their number though and was able to get a price match through the phone number.
Strangely enough, I discovered it consistently works on my phone's Chrome browser, even though it didn't work on any browser on my PC, so I'm not sure where the issue lies.

My criterionless ass went just to get Carnival of Souls and I ended up walking out with that Princess Bride, and Repo Man. Now I can't stop thinking about that Eraserhead and Silence of the Lambs I saw. It's different being at the store and holding these in your hand. Kinda forgot what that's like lol Really wanted to grab about 5 others but at 20 bucks a pop, gotta save some for BF games. But after my experience with A Night To Remember, I am definitely gonna build a collection, feel like a bum barely getting em. Like Scream Factory and Arrow, they're pricey but worth the money.

My criterionless ass went just to get Carnival of Souls and I ended up walking out with that Princess Bride, and Repo Man. Now I can't stop thinking about that Eraserhead and Silence of the Lambs I saw. It's different being at the store and holding these in your hand. Kinda forgot what that's like lol Really wanted to grab about 5 others but at 20 bucks a pop, gotta save some for BF games. But after my experience with A Night To Remember, I am definitely gonna build a collection, feel like a bum barely getting em. Like Scream Factory and Arrow, they're pricey but worth the money.
The pricey-ness is why I don't buy stuff like Silence of the Lambs, Princess Bride, etc. The current blu-rays are just fine for me, and I only upgrade if it's something I really really love (Blood Simple). I'd rather spend the cash money on something you can only get through Criterion.

There definitely is something to be said for having the Definitive Edition, though... And that Princess Bride packaging looks really goooood...

i might get it before the month is over....

The problem with the Princess Bride BD is that they put the info card on the back but also put the glue crap on there. When you go to remove it it takes some of the letters. I got lucky and it didn't take much. Others those not so lucky. Also I feel bad because I have a feeling they will do an actual 4K release of it.

bread's done
Back