* * * * * 2 votes

DropMix Music Gaming System $30 @ Best Buy, Card Packs $3.50 each

#1 TehMuff1nM4n   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1703 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

TehMuff1nM4n

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:31 PM

I know this has been talked about on the CAGcast quite a bit and seems like they're finally doing a clearance run on these. Can't see it all going much lower.

Base set -https://www.bestbuy....265bfc591920INT

Card packs - https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=5975205

#2 vlt1p  

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:51 PM

Thanks, I bit at this price.

#3 LonelyBacteria  

LonelyBacteria

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:02 AM

Nice. Anybody know if this is worth it if you don't have friends?
Asking for a friend.

#4 BryanDGAF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1097 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:57 AM

i bit out of impulse even though this was not on my radar. Hope it was worth it! Bought 3 random packs too while i was at it

#5 FoxAssGamer   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20290 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:01 AM

Asking for a friend.

It depends.  It's fun to drop the cards in and remix and do stuff on your own to see how different things sound.  So if that interests you, you don't need friends and it's a pretty cheap price for what it is.  It's a blast with friends too though. 

#6 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3402 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:43 AM

Asking for a friend.

I've played the game with my son a few times and frankly to me it's more fun to just build mixes by myself. Playing the game, you pretty much randomly generate music based on the decks in play with little opportunity to control the music. On your own, you can build a pretty good variety of mixes which I find to be a pretty relaxing experience.

#7 sharpeone   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2160 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:15 AM

Extremely tempting as my daughter loves anything regarding music.  

#8 darksurtur   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   458 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:32 AM

It's pretty sad this is being clearanced out so soon. I've met the team and they are true gamers with a real passion for their tech and their customers.

#9 Jurai  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:48 AM

It's pretty sad this is being clearanced out so soon. I've met the team and they are true gamers with a real passion for their tech and their customers.

yeah, most reviews I happened to read seemed to actually like it pretty well

#10 Kerig   PSForsaken no longer! CAGiversary!   6145 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:03 AM

Elementary Economics:

It's been out for almost a year.

It was given a home near the dying sector of toys-to-life.

It's 90% confusing and non-intuitive to anyone who passes by the store display

It has no screen/sound/usage on its own (ie: it's a glorified phone app peripheral)

It was priced easily twice as high as it should have been (max $49.99)

It had day 1 add'l card packs to buy, so you immediately know you're not even buying a complete semi-game for $99.

But, hey, it outlived Toys R Us...

#11 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1273 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:13 AM

How many packs are there?   I take it there will me no more made are there enough cards out there to justify the purchase?

#12 Stormedtrooper   Say no to Halo. CAGiversary!   1689 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Stormedtrooper

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:21 AM

What if you like most forms of music but aren't a fan of 90% of top 40 and don't listen to rap. Would this undefined person care for this game? Do the music selections favor either of those genres heavily or comprise the vast majority of the cards?

#13 NeloDiavolo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   304 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

NeloDiavolo

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:53 AM

Hey, thanks for the heads up. Should be fun to mess around in between Cards Against Humanity and other party games. 

#14 p0rn0saur   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   907 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

p0rn0saur

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:21 AM

Kind of odd that Best Buy seems to choose randomly what extra card packs you get

#15 Pig   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   213 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:56 PM

How many packs are there?   I take it there will me no more made are there enough cards out there to justify the purchase?

There are 300+ cards

Heres a wiki i found of what packs contain what cards and where to find them.

https://docs.google....H1Ig/edit#gid=0

#16 JKSonic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2591 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:31 PM

Got mine for $30 at TRU along with one of the bigger packs (hip-hop) for around $7...and been cherry picking the packs at 3.50, been that price at BB for a while now (but I think they just dropped the system?).

The worst thing about the system itself is that it's all about music and it's fairly awkward to setup to actually hear the music well.  This would have been much better as an actual gaming peripheral for XB1/PS4/PC instead of for phones...  

Kind of odd that Best Buy seems to choose randomly what extra card packs you get

Not sure if all online sales for these choose them randomly, but all I've seen do...which is incredibly stupid since the card packs themselves are not random.  One of those <mind blown> situations...

#17 hauz20   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   530 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:37 PM

Fuck me, I'm finally gonna get this that aren't I?

I've read hooking up a Bluetooth speaker to the device you're using improves the sounds, obviously.

#18 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3402 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:57 PM

I believe there's about 86 songs or something around that are broken up into individual tracks. For example, Weezer's King of the World has a guitar, bass, drums, and vocal card. In in a cool way. it means hating/liking music isn't as important since you are really using basic parts that can be altered pretty extensively to make new music. The other three card types are effects, which are subtle enough to not be obnoxious but can also be overwhelmed by other tracks. Then there are cards with all tracks on them meaning it has vocals, instruments, etc. on one card and you choose which track is played by where you place it. These are powerful, tend to be popular songs that are often classics and are much fewer in count (around 30 of the total cards). Lastly, there are "baffler" cards that are just fun but odd pieces for novelty (e.g. Doctor Who Theme, beatboxing, etc.). Harmonix officially announced a new season with at PAX and showed a new mechanic but no songs or full details have been releases.

What if you like most forms of music but aren't a fan of 90% of top 40 and don't listen to rap. Would this undefined person care for this game? Do the music selections favor either of those genres heavily or comprise the vast majority of the cards?

As I mentioned above it's more about your interest in basic but very streamlined music mixing application by way of cards. The game itself is more the magical feeling of hearing a song evolve dynamically as you play a basic but entertaining card game.

Got mine for $30 at TRU along with one of the bigger packs (hip-hop) for around $7...and been cherry picking the packs at 3.50, been that price at BB for a while now (but I think they just dropped the system?).

The worst thing about the system itself is that it's all about music and it's fairly awkward to setup to actually hear the music well.  This would have been much better as an actual gaming peripheral for XB1/PS4/PC instead of for phones...  

Not sure if all online sales for these choose them randomly, but all I've seen do...which is incredibly stupid since the card packs themselves are not random.  One of those <mind blown> situations...

I have to use a bluetooth speaker or I won't bother. Bluetooth headphones are probably even better if you prefer. Totally agree that thing should be an Xbox or PS4 app that pairs with board. It's a real lost opportunity. Also Amazon sells every set complete often at a 15% discount so it's pretty easy to complete the collection if you really want but 50% deals I've seen occasionally at retail much less choice.

Edit: Amazon pack sets are now ridiculously priced. They were 25 bucks for 6 which is decent for a guaranteed complete series but are now double.

#19 CheepyDee   Hello I am Best Buy GCU's Scolding Mother CAG Veteran   274 Posts   Joined 0.6 Years Ago  

CheepyDee

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:08 PM

No GCU discount? Huh? Guitar Heroes were all GCU eligible. Amiibo are discounted and those aren't even games.

Guess they must not be THAT desperate to get rid of them.

#20 hauz20   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   530 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:11 PM

No GCU discount? Wtf...? Guitar Heroes were all GCU eligible. Amiibo are discounted and those aren't even games.

Guess they must not be THAT desperate to get rid of them.

Amiibo and GH both interface with consoles. This does not. I wish it were GCU too, but I'm guessing that's the rationale.

#21 CheepyDee   Hello I am Best Buy GCU's Scolding Mother CAG Veteran   274 Posts   Joined 0.6 Years Ago  

CheepyDee

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:13 PM

Amiibo and GH both interface with consoles. This does not. I wish it were GCU too, but I'm guessing that's the rationale.

Still odd considering it's regarding a piece of interactive software. Your theory holds a ton of weight though, thanks. I didn't even consider there wasn't a way to play this on console. Is it meant to be casted to a TV or something?

#22 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3402 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:35 PM

Still odd considering it's regarding a piece of interactive software. Your theory holds a ton of weight though, thanks. I didn't even consider there wasn't a way to play this on console. Is it meant to be casted to a TV or something?

The ONLY way to play is using an app in the Google Play store or Apple App store. You can cast your phone to a TV that supports it but that's about it.

#23 Sonicyogurt   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   90 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Sonicyogurt

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:31 PM

I've read hooking up a Bluetooth speaker to the device you're using improves the sounds, obviously.

It's especially fun to pair my phone with the Bluetooth-capable receiver in my home theater.  But, yeah, anything other than your phone's speakers will sound immeasurably better.

#24 Touch3  

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:49 PM

Elementary Economics:

It's been out for almost a year.

It was given a home near the dying sector of toys-to-life.

It's 90% confusing and non-intuitive to anyone who passes by the store display

It has no screen/sound/usage on its own (ie: it's a glorified phone app peripheral)

It was priced easily twice as high as it should have been (max $49.99)

It had day 1 add'l card packs to buy, so you immediately know you're not even buying a complete semi-game for $99.

But, hey, it outlived Toys R Us...

Alternate theory:

They're clearing out the current starter kit because a new starter kit is on the way.

I'll agree with some of your points (price, placement in store/associated items) but disagree with others;

It's more of a tech-reliant board game than a glorified phone app.  It's much more similar to something like the XCOM Board Game (which also requires a phone/tablet to play) than to a piece of junk like those "driving game for your phone that comes with a case that looks like a steering wheel" things.

And it's a collectible card-based game.  Having additional packs available on day 1 is a feature, not a flaw.

#25 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16899 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:59 PM

Finally bit on this as well. I always like supporting Harmonix, but just wasn't sure how much I'd play this compared to Rock Band. But at $30, it's a no brainer and is much more in line with a traditional board game purchase. Ordered some of the booster packs from BB too. Really hoping they don't just send four of the same one or I guess I'll be on an exchange mission.

#26 DemonGamer24   Sniper, no sniping! CAGiversary!   231 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

DemonGamer24

Posted 06 July 2018 - 12:19 AM

The problem with discover packs is that they all have the same UPC. That's why it's random what you get, unless you go in store and make sure they all have a different top card.

#27 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3402 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 01:42 AM

The problem with discover packs is that they all have the same UPC. That's why it's random what you get, unless you go in store and make sure they all have a different top card.

Wow that's lame. The packaging is specifically designed to prevent dupes and it's not super clear but harmonix states that each top card represents the same pack. Explains why orders of packs online give the random pack warning.

#28 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   13998 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:23 PM

I never realized this was Harmonix.  I just bit for store pickup.  Will likely buy some card packs if/when I see some in store.

#29 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   13840 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 03:18 PM

GarageBand and FL Studio are free.

#30 Fatbot3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3402 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:33 PM

GarageBand and FL Studio are free.

Lol, so is singing if you want to create music, you don't even need a computer (much less a Mac). This is to track mixing what guitar hero is to guitar playing. I'd hope no one is trying to recommend this as some sort of sequencer.