DropMix Music Gaming System $30 @ Best Buy, Card Packs $3.50 each

TehMuff1nM4n

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
i bit out of impulse even though this was not on my radar. Hope it was worth it! Bought 3 random packs too while i was at it

Nice. Anybody know if this is worth it if you don't have friends?
Asking for a friend.
It depends. It's fun to drop the cards in and remix and do stuff on your own to see how different things sound. So if that interests you, you don't need friends and it's a pretty cheap price for what it is. It's a blast with friends too though.

Nice. Anybody know if this is worth it if you don't have friends?
Asking for a friend.
I've played the game with my son a few times and frankly to me it's more fun to just build mixes by myself. Playing the game, you pretty much randomly generate music based on the decks in play with little opportunity to control the music. On your own, you can build a pretty good variety of mixes which I find to be a pretty relaxing experience.

It's pretty sad this is being clearanced out so soon. I've met the team and they are true gamers with a real passion for their tech and their customers.

It's pretty sad this is being clearanced out so soon. I've met the team and they are true gamers with a real passion for their tech and their customers.
yeah, most reviews I happened to read seemed to actually like it pretty well

Elementary Economics:

It's been out for almost a year.

It was given a home near the dying sector of toys-to-life.

It's 90% confusing and non-intuitive to anyone who passes by the store display

It has no screen/sound/usage on its own (ie: it's a glorified phone app peripheral)

It was priced easily twice as high as it should have been (max $49.99)

It had day 1 add'l card packs to buy, so you immediately know you're not even buying a complete semi-game for $99.

But, hey, it outlived Toys R Us...

How many packs are there?   I take it there will me no more made are there enough cards out there to justify the purchase?

What if you like most forms of music but aren't a fan of 90% of top 40 and don't listen to rap. Would this undefined person care for this game? Do the music selections favor either of those genres heavily or comprise the vast majority of the cards?

Got mine for $30 at TRU along with one of the bigger packs (hip-hop) for around $7...and been cherry picking the packs at 3.50, been that price at BB for a while now (but I think they just dropped the system?).

The worst thing about the system itself is that it's all about music and it's fairly awkward to setup to actually hear the music well. This would have been much better as an actual gaming peripheral for XB1/PS4/PC instead of for phones...

Kind of odd that Best Buy seems to choose randomly what extra card packs you get
Not sure if all online sales for these choose them randomly, but all I've seen do...which is incredibly stupid since the card packs themselves are not random. One of those <mind blown> situations...

fuck me, I'm finally gonna get this that aren't I?

I've read hooking up a Bluetooth speaker to the device you're using improves the sounds, obviously.

How many packs are there? I take it there will me no more made are there enough cards out there to justify the purchase?
I believe there's about 86 songs or something around that are broken up into individual tracks. For example, Weezer's King of the World has a guitar, bass, drums, and vocal card. In in a cool way. it means hating/liking music isn't as important since you are really using basic parts that can be altered pretty extensively to make new music. The other three card types are effects, which are subtle enough to not be obnoxious but can also be overwhelmed by other tracks. Then there are cards with all tracks on them meaning it has vocals, instruments, etc. on one card and you choose which track is played by where you place it. These are powerful, tend to be popular songs that are often classics and are much fewer in count (around 30 of the total cards). Lastly, there are "baffler" cards that are just fun but odd pieces for novelty (e.g. Doctor Who Theme, beatboxing, etc.). Harmonix officially announced a new season with at PAX and showed a new mechanic but no songs or full details have been releases.

What if you like most forms of music but aren't a fan of 90% of top 40 and don't listen to rap. Would this undefined person care for this game? Do the music selections favor either of those genres heavily or comprise the vast majority of the cards?
As I mentioned above it's more about your interest in basic but very streamlined music mixing application by way of cards. The game itself is more the magical feeling of hearing a song evolve dynamically as you play a basic but entertaining card game.

Got mine for $30 at TRU along with one of the bigger packs (hip-hop) for around $7...and been cherry picking the packs at 3.50, been that price at BB for a while now (but I think they just dropped the system?).

The worst thing about the system itself is that it's all about music and it's fairly awkward to setup to actually hear the music well. This would have been much better as an actual gaming peripheral for XB1/PS4/PC instead of for phones...

Not sure if all online sales for these choose them randomly, but all I've seen do...which is incredibly stupid since the card packs themselves are not random. One of those <mind blown> situations...
I have to use a bluetooth speaker or I won't bother. Bluetooth headphones are probably even better if you prefer. Totally agree that thing should be an Xbox or PS4 app that pairs with board. It's a real lost opportunity. Also Amazon sells every set complete often at a 15% discount so it's pretty easy to complete the collection if you really want but 50% deals I've seen occasionally at retail much less choice.

Edit: Amazon pack sets are now ridiculously priced. They were 25 bucks for 6 which is decent for a guaranteed complete series but are now double.

Last edited by a moderator:
No GCU discount? Huh? Guitar Heroes were all GCU eligible. Amiibo are discounted and those aren't even games.

Guess they must not be THAT desperate to get rid of them.

No GCU discount? Wtf...? Guitar Heroes were all GCU eligible. Amiibo are discounted and those aren't even games.

Guess they must not be THAT desperate to get rid of them.
Amiibo and GH both interface with consoles. This does not. I wish it were GCU too, but I'm guessing that's the rationale.

Amiibo and GH both interface with consoles. This does not. I wish it were GCU too, but I'm guessing that's the rationale.
Still odd considering it's regarding a piece of interactive software. Your theory holds a ton of weight though, thanks. I didn't even consider there wasn't a way to play this on console. Is it meant to be casted to a TV or something?

Still odd considering it's regarding a piece of interactive software. Your theory holds a ton of weight though, thanks. I didn't even consider there wasn't a way to play this on console. Is it meant to be casted to a TV or something?
The ONLY way to play is using an app in the Google Play store or Apple App store. You can cast your phone to a TV that supports it but that's about it.

I've read hooking up a Bluetooth speaker to the device you're using improves the sounds, obviously.
It's especially fun to pair my phone with the Bluetooth-capable receiver in my home theater. But, yeah, anything other than your phone's speakers will sound immeasurably better.

Elementary Economics:

It's been out for almost a year.

It was given a home near the dying sector of toys-to-life.

It's 90% confusing and non-intuitive to anyone who passes by the store display

It has no screen/sound/usage on its own (ie: it's a glorified phone app peripheral)

It was priced easily twice as high as it should have been (max $49.99)

It had day 1 add'l card packs to buy, so you immediately know you're not even buying a complete semi-game for $99.

But, hey, it outlived Toys R Us...
Alternate theory:

https://twitter.com/dropmixgame/status/1014872799817723905

They're clearing out the current starter kit because a new starter kit is on the way.

I'll agree with some of your points (price, placement in store/associated items) but disagree with others;

It's more of a tech-reliant board game than a glorified phone app. It's much more similar to something like the XCOM Board Game (which also requires a phone/tablet to play) than to a piece of junk like those "driving game for your phone that comes with a case that looks like a steering wheel" things.

And it's a collectible card-based game. Having additional packs available on day 1 is a feature, not a flaw.

Finally bit on this as well. I always like supporting Harmonix, but just wasn't sure how much I'd play this compared to Rock Band. But at $30, it's a no brainer and is much more in line with a traditional board game purchase. Ordered some of the booster packs from BB too. Really hoping they don't just send four of the same one or I guess I'll be on an exchange mission.

The problem with discover packs is that they all have the same UPC. That's why it's random what you get, unless you go in store and make sure they all have a different top card.

The problem with discover packs is that they all have the same UPC. That's why it's random what you get, unless you go in store and make sure they all have a different top card.
Wow that's lame. The packaging is specifically designed to prevent dupes and it's not super clear but harmonix states that each top card represents the same pack. Explains why orders of packs online give the random pack warning.

I never realized this was Harmonix.  I just bit for store pickup.  Will likely buy some card packs if/when I see some in store.

GarageBand and FL Studio are free.
Lol, so is singing if you want to create music, you don't even need a computer (much less a Mac). This is to track mixing what guitar hero is to guitar playing. I'd hope no one is trying to recommend this as some sort of sequencer.

Lol, so is singing if you want to create music, you don't even need a computer (much less a Mac). This is to track mixing what guitar hero is to guitar playing. I'd hope no one is trying to recommend this as some sort of sequencer.
GarageBand works on iPhone. This is more like Magic The Gathering for people who want to start a soundcloud. Have fun making one sound with your voice.

GarageBand works on iPhone. This is more like Magic The Gathering for people who want to start a soundcloud. Have fun making one sound with your voice.
And iPhones are an investment too. There's plenty of cheap and free sequencers but my point was that this isn't a sequencer. It's not even for people to pretend they are DJs. It's a party game with cool technology. I like the "lol, one sound comment" though, as if music somehow requires more. Suggesting FL or GarageBand as a free alternative is ridiculous.

I believe there's about 86 songs or something around that are broken up into individual tracks. For example, Weezer's King of the World has a guitar, bass, drums, and vocal card. In in a cool way. it means hating/liking music isn't as important since you are really using basic parts that can be altered pretty extensively to make new music. The other three card types are effects, which are subtle enough to not be obnoxious but can also be overwhelmed by other tracks. Then there are cards with all tracks on them meaning it has vocals, instruments, etc. on one card and you choose which track is played by where you place it. These are powerful, tend to be popular songs that are often classics and are much fewer in count (around 30 of the total cards). Lastly, there are "baffler" cards that are just fun but odd pieces for novelty (e.g. Doctor Who Theme, beatboxing, etc.). Harmonix officially announced a new season with at PAX and showed a new mechanic but no songs or full details have been releases.

As I mentioned above it's more about your interest in basic but very streamlined music mixing application by way of cards. The game itself is more the magical feeling of hearing a song evolve dynamically as you play a basic but entertaining card game.

I have to use a bluetooth speaker or I won't bother. Bluetooth headphones are probably even better if you prefer. Totally agree that thing should be an Xbox or PS4 app that pairs with board. It's a real lost opportunity. Also Amazon sells every set complete often at a 15% discount so it's pretty easy to complete the collection if you really want but 50% deals I've seen occasionally at retail much less choice.

Edit: Amazon pack sets are now ridiculously priced. They were 25 bucks for 6 which is decent for a guaranteed complete series but are now double.
I use a bluetooth speaker but hook it up to my phone with a wire, honestly haven't even tried the bluetooth because I know at least in car there's an annoying delay when I use it. I've been thinking about hooking up my headphones too, but usually when I play my kids are either dancing along or taking turns mixing too.

But yeah would have been infinitely better as a console/PC hookup than what it is now. All they would have needed was a very simple UI in the game similar to what the app is. It not being that is extra confusing since it's Harmonix. Guess I can technically hook it up to my receiver with the same wire I use but the hookup is in the back so not very convenient.

I use a bluetooth speaker but hook it up to my phone with a wire, honestly haven't even tried the bluetooth because I know at least in car there's an annoying delay when I use it. I've been thinking about hooking up my headphones too, but usually when I play my kids are either dancing along or taking turns mixing too.

But yeah would have been infinitely better as a console/PC hookup than what it is now. All they would have needed was a very simple UI in the game similar to what the app is. It not being that is extra confusing since it's Harmonix. Guess I can technically hook it up to my receiver with the same wire I use but the hookup is in the back so not very convenient.

I completely disagree that it would'be been better as a console game. Getting people to play anywhere around the house, around this small mobile set up is much easier, at least for me, then going to the room with the PS4, getting everyone comfortably seated on a couch, yet still able to reach the device. Everyone has a MOBILE phone. No has a mobile xbox or ps4. I've brought dropmix into many different rooms to play with my wife, one of them being our living room connected to the receiver thru bluetooth, and I can honestly say that it would be used much less if it required us to be at a console.

I completely disagree that it would'be been better as a console game. Getting people to play anywhere around the house, around this small mobile set up is much easier, at least for me, then going to the room with the PS4, getting everyone comfortably seated on a couch, yet still able to reach the device. Everyone has a MOBILE phone. No has a mobile xbox or ps4. I've brought dropmix into many different rooms to play with my wife, one of them being our living room connected to the receiver thru bluetooth, and I can honestly say that it would be used much less if it required us to be at a console.
I prefer this as a mobile game, but that said, if they released a USB-Bluetooth receiver for Xbox just for allowing the board to connect to a game/app, I'd probably pick that up as well for those times when your whole group can't huddle around your phone's screen.

Snoozed too long on this and now there are none within 250 miles. Dang.

I tried to get Garage Band but couldn't find it on Google Play.

I tried this "singing" but it just sounded awful. The upside was I got a free shoe when someone threw it at my head.

Wow that's lame. The packaging is specifically designed to prevent dupes and it's not super clear but harmonix states that each top card represents the same pack. Explains why orders of packs online give the random pack warning.

I couldn't find any of the Discover packs at the Best Buy near me.

I've noticed cards are getting hard to come by. Amazon had most sets moderately cheap and now don't even have every set. Hopefully they will reprint for season 2.
Hasbro has many of the packs available on their site. This is where I bought many of my cards. They look to be having a % off sale as well.

You don't have to guess what you're getting from Hasbro.

Game is a lot of fun. Its really too bad about not being able to pick out the packs though. I'm considering ordering a bunch, and returning any dupes. 

Hasbro has many of the packs available on their site. This is where I bought many of my cards. They look to be having a % off sale as well.

You don't have to guess what you're getting from Hasbro.
Aw, series 3 complete is OOS. I've had a hard time finding series 3 or 4 complete.

One of the cards in my base pack doesn't read at all.  Is there a way to request replacement cards from Hasbro?

Also, if you don't feel like hunting Best Buy physical stores for each individual Discover pack, Amazon is currently selling Series 1 and Series 2 30-card complete sets for $25 each (series 2 is Prime exclusive, however).

Got mine today, it's quite fun just to even mess around with. Thanks for the database, Hasbro link and the headsup on the Amazon season collections. If I had a complaint it's quite confusing buying the card packs. 

The official hasbro-toy-shop on Ebay has the 16-card playlist packs (Pop/Derby, Hip-Hop/Mirrors, Rock/Ouroboros, and Electronic/Astro) on sale for $12.74, free shipping if you buy $15+.

You can stack the savings today with Ebay's 15% off coupon PRIMOSALE.  Note that the 15% off coupon doesn't work with video games/consoles or computer electronics this time around.

http://www.ebaystores.com/hasbrotoyshop/_i.html?_nkw=dropmix

I grabbed one of these before my TRU closed for $30. It's a blast and my kids love it too. Beware updating the firmware though.

Short version:
Don't update the firmware at all. Trust me. It works fine with stock.

Long version:
While I was setting it up for first time use the app asked if I wanted to update the board's firmware and I said yes. About a quarter of the way through the app crashed and it bricked the board completely. Wouldn't turn on at all.

Hasbro customer service was a bitch to deal with. They were initially not going to help me out because they said my LG V30 was not compatible with the app. Buried in the description of the app in the Play Store is a very limited list of phones it's compatible with. I pushed back and said if they are going to be so restrictive of what it works on as the app owner they need to work with Google to figure out how to have their app only available/searchable to those devices. They apologized and sent me a return label.

It took 5 weeks for them to receive it, process it, and send me a new one. They emailed me when they sent the replacement but did not provide a shipping company or a tracking #. When I reached out to customer service to get that info they claimed they don't keep any of that on file.

I received my replacement yesterday and I refuse to update the firmware on it. It's super annoying to have to bypass the firmware update available message every time the app starts but I am not going through that crap again.

...I received my replacement yesterday and I refuse to update the firmware on it. It's super annoying to have to bypass the firmware update available message every time the app starts but I am not going through that crap again.
I updated mine before first use and didn’t have any issues. I wonder if it really had something to do with the phone after all. I have an iPhone X. That sucks that things went down like that for you

bread's done
Back