Thoughts on Octopath Traveler?

Troe123

CAGiversary!
Was thinking about buying it physically via Amazon for the 20% off. I'm not a huge JRPG gamer but this looks like it could be up my alley, especially if it reviews well.

Any thoughts on if this "type" (niche? indie? SquareEnix JRPG) will ever get discounted on the system? A (annoyingly) crystal ball question, but this type of game is hard to read (e.g., Ubisoft games always get predictable discounts, Nintendo 1P games almost never). The only similar game I can think of off the top of my head is "I am Setsuna" (mediocre review scores, never discounted as I remember).

Appreciated.

Try downloading the demo from the eshop. That will give you a good taste of the game. I grew up on JRPGs for the Super Nintendo so this is something I would probably enjoy. What I would like to see is a random battle frequency slider, like Bravely Default. bI really liked being able to turn random encounters off and explore dungeons without risk of death. I would usually grind and build levels on the overworld so I could easily recharge.  I don't think octopath has that feature.  

Jason Schreier over at Kotaku has posted some impressions of Octopath's story and character structure. He really knows his JRPGs, so this may help you out.

And yeah, download the demo if you haven't already. JRPG demos are usually pretty good whenever I want to know how one looks and feels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely try the demo.  I've played Primrose's intro in the demo and started the full game with Olberic.  I've enjoyed both so far though I'm only a few hours in.  I think the story(s) fall into "charming" territory rather than a grand epic RPG, so just know that going in.  Battle system is great, but there will be some grinding.  I like it and very happy with the purchase. 

bread's done
Back