eBay - $25 off $119+ - Today Only

I always hate when sellers list shipping separate.  I don't understand why they don't just build it into the cost of the item.  It has no effect on their fees because seller fees are paid on the total amount paid for the order, less sales tax.  All it does is hurt buyers and help eBay.

Rant over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always hate when sellers list shipping separate. I don't understand why they don't just build it into the cost of the item. It has no effect on their fees because seller fees are paid on the total amount paid for the order, less sales tax. All it does is hurt buyers and help eBay.

Rant over.
As an eBay seller, if a customer wants to return the item for no other reason then they don’t want it, you can’t charge them a restocking / shipping fee if you put free shipping.

Had a guy order something and I put shipping free for a $1200 sale. Item cost me $70 to ship and when he got it he decided he didn’t want it anymore and PayPal forced me to accept the refund. I asked about shipping compensation but they said since I charged $0 that I can’t.

I always hate when sellers list shipping separate. I don't understand why they don't just build it into the cost of the item. It has no effect on their fees because seller fees are paid on the total amount paid for the order, less sales tax. All it does is hurt buyers and help eBay.

Rant over.
In addition to what usflegend, listing the shipping separately also allows the seller to list multiple shipping options that gives buyers a preference for how they would like the item shipped. It also benefits the buyer if the seller is calculating exact shipping cost based on location, which would save the buyer some money instead of padding the shipping cost into the item for potential buyers in more expensive to ship to locations.

Only way it really hurts the buyers is for Ebay coupons, which most sellers do not factor in.

In addition to what usflegend, listing the shipping separately also allows the seller to list multiple shipping options that gives buyers a preference for how they would like the item shipped. It also benefits the buyer if the seller is calculating exact shipping cost based on location, which would save the buyer some money instead of padding the shipping cost into the item for potential buyers in more expensive to ship to locations.

Only way it really hurts the buyers is for Ebay coupons, which most sellers do not factor in.
eBay bucks too, but that's only cents. All of the items I buy are video games that can be shipped First Class Parcel for the same price to anywhere in the US. That doesn't impact any of the things I purchase. I don't purchase large or bulky items - everything is less than 13 oz.

As an eBay seller, if a customer wants to return the item for no other reason then they don’t want it, you can’t charge them a restocking / shipping fee if you put free shipping.

Had a guy order something and I put shipping free for a $1200 sale. Item cost me $70 to ship and when he got it he decided he didn’t want it anymore and PayPal forced me to accept the refund. I asked about shipping compensation but they said since I charged $0 that I can’t.
For many of the things I buy, the sellers don't allow discretionary returns. But that makes sense if they do allow it, especially for larger items.

Case in point. Flat fee shipping and no returns. Who does this breakdown benefit? This is what I'm referring to.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mario-Galaxy-2-Nintendo-Wii-2010-DISC-ONLY-SCRATCH-FREE/323306781886?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

eBay bucks too, but that's only cents. All of the items I buy are video games that can be shipped First Class Parcel for the same price to anywhere in the US. That doesn't impact any of the things I purchase. I don't purchase large or bulky items - everything is less than 13 oz.

For many of the things I buy, the sellers don't allow discretionary returns. But that makes sense if they do allow it, especially for larger items.

Case in point. Flat fee shipping and no returns. Who does this breakdown benefit? This is what I'm referring to.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Mario-Galaxy-2-Nintendo-Wii-2010-DISC-ONLY-SCRATCH-FREE/323306781886?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
"No Returns" or "Seller Does Not Accept Returns" is just fluff. If a buyer wants to return an item, eBay will make the seller accept it, regardless of the seller's listed policy, an overwhelming majority of the time. I always put "No Returns" in my listings, but I still get return requests and my options are to provide a full refund or a return shipping label. You can only contest the claim by calling eBay, and even then their standards for siding with the seller are very favorable to the buyer. I was unaware of the return shipping component usflegend mentioned, but it makes sense to me.

I rarely sell on eBay any more because of the fees and general hassle it constitutes, but as a buyer you're extremely well protected,

Rant over.
I ship first class free, but anyone who lists priority free is nuts. Get lucky and your buyer is close or on the same coast, nice. Ship all the way to the other side of the continent... screwed!

I'd rather list something with shipping calculated and wait longer to sell it to someone geographically closer to be honest.

"No Returns" or "Seller Does Not Accept Returns" is just fluff. If a buyer wants to return an item, eBay will make the seller accept it, regardless of the seller's listed policy, an overwhelming majority of the time. I always put "No Returns" in my listings, but I still get return requests and my options are to provide a full refund or a return shipping label. You can only contest the claim by calling eBay, and even then their standards for siding with the seller are very favorable to the buyer. I was unaware of the return shipping component usflegend mentioned, but it makes sense to me.

I rarely sell on eBay any more because of the fees and general hassle it constitutes, but as a buyer you're extremely well protected,
So if they always side with the buyer, how would it make any difference whether shipping is separate or included? The buyer would still get the full refund in your scenario.

I was referencing discretionary returns, which is what "no returns" means in a listing. I stated that in the prior paragraph. Anything can be returned if the buyer is dishonest or if the item truly doesn't work. Again, the buyer would be entitled to a full refund in that scenario regardless of how shipping is charged.

I ship first class free, but anyone who lists priority free is nuts. Get lucky and your buyer is close or on the same coast, nice. Ship all the way to the other side of the continent... screwed!

I'd rather list something with shipping calculated and wait longer to sell it to someone geographically closer to be honest.
You must have missed my next post which stated "All of the items I buy are video games that can be shipped First Class Parcel for the same price to anywhere in the US. That doesn't impact any of the things I purchase. I don't purchase large or bulky items - everything is less than 13 oz."

So if they always side with the buyer, how would it make any difference whether shipping is separate or included? The buyer would still get the full refund in your scenario.

I was referencing discretionary returns, which is what "no returns" means in a listing. I stated that in the prior paragraph. Anything can be returned if the buyer is dishonest or if the item truly doesn't work. Again, the buyer would be entitled to a full refund in that scenario regardless of how shipping is charged.

You must have missed my next post which stated "All of the items I buy are video games that can be shipped First Class Parcel for the same price to anywhere in the US. That doesn't impact any of the things I purchase. I don't purchase large or bulky items - everything is less than 13 oz."
You don't seem to be understanding though. eBay doesn't let sellers refuse returns outside of extreme circumstances. The buyer doesn't have to lie. They can say I want to return because I changed my mind and no matter what policy you've listed, eBay makes you take it back. Happens all the time. However in cases where they return it with no issue, they do allow you to not refund shipping (and make the buyer pay return shipping).

You don't seem to be understanding though. eBay doesn't let sellers refuse returns outside of extreme circumstances. The buyer doesn't have to lie. They can say I want to return because I changed my mind and no matter what policy you've listed, eBay makes you take it back. Happens all the time. However in cases where they return it with no issue, they do allow you to not refund shipping (and make the buyer pay return shipping).
That sucks. That's never happened to me. One time a buyer tried something like that and they refunded the buyer but didn't take any money from me. Amazon is where I have had the most problems with buyers. Buyers there tend to be more demanding and full of sh*t, compared to eBay buyers, in my experience.

Unfortunately on eBay people can return anything if it's "not as described". When i sell I go out of my way to be specific about any problems or irregularities with the item. Naturally we get returns anyway. I think that listing with "no returns" is a good idea if you want to send the message that you aren't tolerant of returns. I mean, you still have to take a return in the case of "not as described" but it might turn away your more wishy-washy buyer.

Regarding free shipping, I think it's ok to charge free shipping on small items where the shipping distance doesn't affect the cost but if it's big you just have to. In the midwest I can ship to Ohio for like $15 but the same item will probably be like $30 to California. Allegedly offering free shipping is supposed to increase your visibility when people search for your item but I see the lowest price item showing up way down the page many times. If any other sellers understand the eBay formula I'd be interested in knowing. Ever since they got rid of turbo lister I've moved most of my stuff to Amazon. Naturally that has it's own problems but we can move more inventory there.

I describe items the best I can and show defects. I dont accept returns. I have beat false the item not as case about 98% of the time. And the other 2 percent ebay has refunded me shipping both ways.

If any other sellers understand the eBay formula I'd be interested in knowing.
I can't claim a full understanding, but I believe free shipping only improves your listing rank if it's "fast n free", meaning you have a record of shipping fast and set a low handling time.

If you really want to get higher in listing rank for a competitive product you're better off using their "promoted listings" product (aka bid for listing rank) and increasing your price by the same amount.

I am an eBay seller as well. However, doing this will not work now because most(some) buyers will put down damage item/product to avoid the return shipping. If they do that, PayPal will not give you any compensation for it as well.. so yea

That sucks. That's never happened to me. One time a buyer tried something like that and they refunded the buyer but didn't take any money from me. Amazon is where I have had the most problems with buyers. Buyers there tend to be more demanding and full of sh*t, compared to eBay buyers, in my experience.
Recently, Amazon is forcing sellers to use FBA. If you don't, Amazon will force you to refund buyers regardless if they sent the item back or for any reasons.. I enjoy doing businsess on eBay.. not that much rules/regulation.

Recently, Amazon is forcing sellers to use FBA. If you don't, Amazon will force you to refund buyers regardless if they sent the item back or for any reasons.. I enjoy doing businsess on eBay.. not that much rules/regulation.
That must be a newer thing. I had a problem with a buyer last year who lied about it being defective, then wanted to keep the item and get a refund from me. Amazon refunded him but didn't take any money from me because they said I didn't do anything wrong. That has happened a few times to me over the years.

At least eBay lets you (or at least used to let you) block buyers

Is that a recent change? Back in the day eBay used to have less fees associated with shipping costs, so I always attached a $4 shipping fee to whatever I sold (more for larger items of course).

Hell sometimes you'd see items with shipping costs far more than the cost of the item itself for that very reason.

Is that a recent change? Back in the day eBay used to have less fees associated with shipping costs, so I always attached a $4 shipping fee to whatever I sold (more for larger items of course).

Hell sometimes you'd see items with shipping costs far more than the cost of the item itself for that very reason.
You answered your own question. Back when sellers were making shipping costs higher, ebay was getting a lesser rake in seller fees as a percentage of the total sale. Now ebay gets a bigger cut as a percentage of the total. Also they want to encourage free shipping listings as they are trying to compete with amazon and their free prime shipping

Wow. Why would you sell something so expensive on eBay? You're just asking to get fucked over with eBay's retarded policies. I've got lots of stuff worth over $200 and I don't list any of them on eBay because I won't take that risk. I'll just keep holding on to it until something better comes along. You would have paid at least $100 to eBay in FVF if the guy didn't return the item, correct? Why bother?

I picked up Assassin's Creed: Origins Gold Ed. (XBOne - new), Splatoon 2 complete & Stranger of Sword City (XBOne - new/import) for $99 after coupon. Very happy with those prices. 

Got a refurbed Turtle Beach Stealth 700 for 80, wanted a headset for docked Switch, and replaced my (lost in a recent move) Xbox controller with a new one that was already on sale for 40. I'm sure I'll find the old one now lol. Total 95....Thanks OP!

Yeah, eBay at least caught on to padded shipping rates, as they charge a percentage of even the shipping cost now. If you sell enough though, your discounted shipping labels through eBay usually cover that fee that they charge on the shipping cost.

The 'shipping should be free' model is something I just can't stand as a seller. I hate that eBay pushes it.

There's a simple, very good reason not to offer free shipping - it can kill your profit on an item. You don't have to gouge the buyer, just charge actual cost of materials+shipping+gas. It's not so simple to just pad the item with that cost and do free shipping because 1) Other sellers seem unphased by offering the item at super cheap prices with free shipping (because they are massive sellers that basically run their entire business via eBay), or 2) It's better to auction the item, and there's no guarantee you'll make what you intend (unless you want to pay eBay a pretty penny for letting you hold your item lest it sells at the price you want).

There's a simple, very good reason not to offer free shipping - it can kill your profit on an item. You don't have to gouge the buyer, just charge actual cost of materials+shipping+gas. It's not so simple to just pad the item with that cost and do free shipping because 1) Other sellers seem unphased by offering the item at super cheap prices with free shipping (because they are massive sellers that basically run their entire business via eBay), or 2) It's better to auction the item, and there's no guarantee you'll make what you intend (unless you want to pay eBay a pretty penny for letting you hold your item lest it sells at the price you want).
There's a simple, very good reason to offer free shipping as well - no need to prepack items. For the vast majority of items, shipping costs fall into a pretty small range, so it's useful to just increase the price and pack up upon sale.

bread's done
Back