PS4 Secret of Mana $24.99 Gamestop.com

here is your answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVHhOL2P4yE
In the first 20 seconds, he says he never played the original... but somehow he's able to capture many of the issues I had when I played this at my brothers.

I played the original 3-4 years ago and thought it was a fantastic game that still held up ok to moderns times but would be so much better if there was some modernization. I was hoping this game would be it, but it wasn't. It plays almost exactly like the original. The cartoony style was a perfect choice but textures/detail/poly-count (whatever you call it) it looks like a PS2 game. Actually, this honestly looks like it was made using the old PS2 DQVIII engine... with more color saturation. Would love loved it if was more like Wind Waker HD. And good lord, the music... like WTF, but I did not know the original OST is in the game.

Read that a recent patch fixed the crashing... or so they say.

Sucks its GS exclusive, but Amazon has it for $36.. Should try and get them to PM just out of spite.  ;)

I got the digital version the day it came out and haven't run into any crashes.

I LOVED this game back in the day on the original SNES. I'm sad to say that this remake just isn't very good. The graphic "update" just doesn't look good, the UI/control is a lot worse than I remember, and I see some occasional glitches where the I get hit/damaged a split second before I see the enemy come in contact with me which is really annoying. I don't mind the music nearly as much as other reviewers, but overall, I'm pretty disappointed.

Will wait for this one to crash and burn quickly down to the $5 bin.
It was a GameStop exclusive physical release. So, if they follow their typical business model, they will eventually convert all their new copies to preowned (open them and slap a white sticker on the case) just so they can mark up the price and sell the used copies for more. I wouldn't bet on physical copies hitting $5 each. Digital, maybe.

In the first 20 seconds, he says he never played the original... but somehow he's able to capture many of the issues I had when I played this at my brothers.

I played the original 3-4 years ago and thought it was a fantastic game that still held up ok to moderns times but would be so much better if there was some modernization. I was hoping this game would be it, but it wasn't. It plays almost exactly like the original. The cartoony style was a perfect choice but textures/detail/poly-count (whatever you call it) it looks like a PS2 game. Actually, this honestly looks like it was made using the old PS2 DQVIII engine... with more color saturation. Would love loved it if was more like Wind Waker HD. And good lord, the music... like WTF, but I did not know the original OST is in the game.
That's because usually when an RPG company says remake, they literally mean a remake, with the same issues and lack of features/updates.

Forgot it was on there.
So tempted to grab one, and add the rest of the catalog...
It’s easily worth the $80 in my opinion. It’s gotten a lot of use from me but I love classic retro games. It really depends on your tastes. But with Mega Man X, Super Mario RPG, FFVI, Earthbound, and Secret of Mana on it....it’s a no brainer for me.

And yes, I know the PC/other systems have all those as well but it’s nice to have them on one little system.

It’s easily worth the $80 in my opinion. It’s gotten a lot of use from me but I love classic retro games. It really depends on your tastes. But with Mega Man X, Super Mario RPG, FFVI, Earthbound, and Secret of Mana on it....it’s a no brainer for me.

And yes, I know the PC/other systems have all those as well but it’s nice to have them on one little system.
I agree the $80 price tag for the games included alone is worth the price of the SNES Classic Edition, but once you factor in how easy it is to add more games to both the NES and SNES Classics they are really great values, plus they look awesome. I also just realized that I have Secret of Mana on the SNES Classic, SNES, and PS2....

Yeah, the SNES Classic's library is just nearly perfect, just wish they had CT on there.

As an alternative to the SNES Classic I'd recommend picking up one of the Steam Link's for $20 or $10 or whatever you can get them for nowadays.  As long as you have a decent connection and a PC/Laptop that can run the emulators you'll have a great experience with it.  There's tons of tutorials on how to set it up with emulations and how to run the games like any other Steam game.  With this you can have NES/SNES/MegaDrive/Genesis/N64/etc, etc all in one UI.  

That, or of course another alternative is Raspberry Pi or something similar.  If you're not tech-ish can just buy one that's all pre-done.  

As for this game specifically, from everything I've seen I'm definitely waiting until it can be had on a significant sale for PC.  What they really should have done, IMO, is just updated the pixel graphics to hand drawn HD and then given you the option of a reworked UI or the original.  The awkward poly graphics made it look like a cheap/quick fan-made game.  If they were going to go poly go with better graphics and better textures, not something that looks like it's an early PS2 game.  That defeats the whole purpose of the upgrade, I didn't want it update to 2000, I wanted it updated to 2017.

It was a GameStop exclusive physical release. So, if they follow their typical business model, they will eventually convert all their new copies to preowned (open them and slap a white sticker on the case) just so they can mark up the price and sell the used copies for more. I wouldn't bet on physical copies hitting $5 each. Digital, maybe.
Damn, didn't realize that. May have to pick it up then :/

I would have gone with Chrono Trigger over Final Fantasy VI, but why not just add Chrono Trigger? That was the first game I added.
Also wished they would have added Kirby's Dreamland 3 over Avalanche and Turtles in Time/Chrono Trigger exclusion baffled me.

Damn, didn't realize that. May have to pick it up then :/
They're the reason why I have unopened physical copies of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 for PS4 and Xbox One sitting in a cardboard box right now. That was just one of their store exclusive games from this gen that they worked their special brand of price gouging magic on.

Also wished they would have added Kirby's Dreamland 3 over Avalanche and Turtles in Time/Chrono Trigger exclusion baffled me.
Turtles IV was probably more of a licenses issue than anything else. Luckily it's easy to add all of those games and more!

On a side note, I'll buy an N64 Classic Edition, but definitely would be a lot less excited for it than the NES and SNES. Really hoping for a GB/GBC Classic handheld next.

I would have gone with Chrono Trigger over Final Fantasy VI, but why not just add Chrono Trigger? That was the first game I added.
CT is my fav game of all time but I don't think I could say put CT in over FFVI. I think FFVI is a masterpiece and better than CT in some aspects and I consider it a must play game. I'd say maybe take out one of the Kirbys or DKC (honestly didn't think DKC was that great, it was just a really good looking game back in the day).

Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, Lufia II, and Chrono Trigger for me.
Man, I need to beat Evermore and Gaia. I got stuck in both back in the day... I remember Gaia was awesome until I got stuck in some underground tunnel or something. Can't remember how far I got in Evermore.

Last edited by a moderator:
CT is my fav game of all time but I don't think I could say put CT in over FFVI. I think FFVI is a masterpiece and better than CT in some aspects and I consider it a must play game. I'd say maybe take out one of the Kirbys or DKC (honestly didn't think DKC was that great, it was just a really good looking game back in the day).

Man, I need to beat Evermore and Gaia. I got stuck in both back in the day... I remember Gaia was awesome until I got stuck in some underground tunnel or something. Can't remember how far I got in Evermore.
CT is also one of my favorite games of all time. Final Fantasy VI is also my favorite Final Fantasy game. I consider both games to be among the greatest RPGs and video games in general of all-time. I personally think Chrono Trigger is a superior game to FFVI too, but I am also extremely biased towards CT due to how much I just love every aspect of the game.

Illusions of Gaia was another favorite of mine, played the hell out of that game as a kid.

bread's done
Back