No bundled HD with ps3???

Why? HDDs are for computers, console games aren't meant to be installed or updated.

And as for game saves, memory cards are better because you can take it with you.

Well seeing as the only console to have been bundled with a HDD was the Xbox, and the standard Xbox 360 will not be bundled with a HDD.. how is this such a bad idea?

And Quackzilla.. HDD's are excellent for game saves and nearly neccesary for downloadable content.. not to mention loading times, not to mention their less frequent rate of failure.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Well seeing as the only console to have been bundled with a HDD was the Xbox, and the standard Xbox 360 will not be bundled with a HDD.. how is this such a bad idea?

And Quackzilla.. HDD's are excellent for game saves and nearly neccesary for downloadable content.. not to mention loading times, not to mention their less frequent rate of failure.[/QUOTE]

Uhm latest reports I've heard state that Xbox 360 WILL be bundled with a 20gb detatchable hd...

I love my Xbox hd...custom sound tracks, all my saved games, all my xbox live downloaded content, game updates, love it, love it, love it.

I agree console games shouldn't have to be updated/patched but glitches to happen and there have been a few times game patches were made for xbox live enabled games (halo2, KOTOR, ninja gaiden[kind of], etc...). The xbox hard drive and xbox live makes it happen, yeah!

Sony will continue to shoot themselves in the foot as the year goes by (they've gone underground by the way)...mark my word. They've tried to one-up everyone (mainly MS) way too much, find that they can't foot the bill and trim back half the features...either that or sell their George Forman grill for $400+.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Why? HDDs are for computers, console games aren't meant to be installed or updated.

And as for game saves, memory cards are better because you can take it with you.[/QUOTE]

It's bad because instead of being used for games, like installing them for faster load times, mods/patches, etc, it will just be used for people who want more storage space....so mostly worthless.

The HDD in the Xbox is GOD send, never worried about space again

PS2 on the other hand I have two 8MB mem card, and always have to restart my game to FREE up some space, I love me some RPG's

You pay attention at e3? Some kind of hard drive there was listed for all 3. the 512 flash for the big n. the 20 gig Microsoft, and an unknown for the ps3. And anyway there being vague about it. What exactly does "no matter what hard drive we bundle with the ps3 it won't be enough" mean exactly.

What are your thoughts on Linux being provided on the hard drives they do provide. keyboard bundled? Part of their answer to x-box live? thoughts?

[quote name='Quackzilla']Why? HDDs are for computers, console games aren't meant to be installed or updated.

And as for game saves, memory cards are better because you can take it with you.[/QUOTE]

:roll:

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Well seeing as the only console to have been bundled with a HDD was the Xbox, and the standard Xbox 360 will not be bundled with a HDD.. how is this such a bad idea?

And Quackzilla.. HDD's are excellent for game saves and nearly neccesary for downloadable content.. not to mention loading times, not to mention their less frequent rate of failure.[/QUOTE]
The 360 is bundled with a 20gb hard drive, there won't be a version that comes without one at all, but it will be upgradable. Maybe that was just a typo, you seem to be defending the hard drive.

To address Quackzilla, the hard drive is crucial for Xbox's online model, with downloadble game content, user created mods, music, and movies, all available through the free service. As an added benefit, it increases performance and saves you a lot of money. $20 for a small memory card is not good value.

The hard drive is portable, its a laptop sized hard drive in a portable enclosure. You can bring your hard drive and use it on anyone elses Xbox.

The downside to the hard drive is the added cost. MS has found a way to have a hard drive, and keep costs low enough that they can retail for $300. PS3 on the other hand, will not include a hard drive, and will still retail for $100 more. I think if PS3 weren't having cost control issues, mainly the Cell processor and the Blu-Ray drive costing a lot of money, they would love to include a hard drive.

Well, if you have no freinds and never play multiplayer games (like Gauntlet) a memory card is useless.

But I do have freinds, and being able to take my memory card with control configurations, profiles, characters, etc with me is awesome.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Well, if you have no freinds and never play multiplayer games (like Gauntlet) a memory card is useless.

But I do have freinds, and being able to take my memory card with control configurations, profiles, characters, etc with me is awesome.[/QUOTE]

XBOX has hdd AND memory cards. 360s HDD will be portable. So.........

XBOX really upped the ante by including a HDD standard. I bought 2 memory cards for my PS2 and refuse to buy anymore. That's part of the reason why I buy so few PS2 games and I am sure I anot alone. XBOX 360 is taking it further by packing a detachable hard drive standard. You get the space of a HDD and the portabaility of a memory card. Add in a wireless controller standard, custom soundtracks, standard AA and the PS3 is going to be in for some serious competition. Yes, Sony and Nintendo will have HDD, but Sony has already said it will not be standard and will add to an already costly machine. If history is an indicator, most developers will not uitlize it since it is not the lowest common denominator.

I think NIntendo will be fine since they are likely to launch at a lower price like the Gamecube did. Plus, they are not looking to compete directly. It is looking like the PS3 is going to launch higher than the 360 and with less features. Powerwise, most objective reviews of release specs for the 360 and PS3 say they are comparable, with each having an advantage or two over the other. Sony had best be careful.

[quote name='Quackzilla']How do you use the portable HDD as a memory card?

Does the Xbox 360 have 4 serial ports for HDDs?[/QUOTE]

You can take it over to a friend's house. I have a memory card for my XBOX really for that reason only. Portability is the only advantage that a memory card has in my book over a HDD.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']You can take it over to a friend's house. I have a memory card for my XBOX really for that reason only. Portability is the only advantage that a memory card has in my book over a HDD.[/QUOTE]

HD's aren't much good if you drop them though...memory cards are also better in that respect.

You people that are running out of space on your memory cards... how?

I've got 2 official Sony memory cards, 100 ps2 games, and I'm just now getting to the point where I need a third.

It's been about 3 years since I bought my last memory card, and you can find them pretty cheap if you look hard enough.

That's a damn good turn around from those tiny ps1 memory cards.

Did you really think that they were going to give you hard drive???

This is Sony that we are talking about and to them it just doesn't make any sense to use a hard drive. Also it's not cost effective.

Keep in mind hard drives help with loading times and as games get bigger it's going to take longer and longer for them to load. Plus think about all the extra online content you can store in it.

Like the guy said. X-box has memory cards. And they have good turn around as well. And pretty much if you save a lot, like every key scene in a game. Or play some sports games, and some special games on my memory card have 1 mb saves for one save. That can eat it up REAL fast. Plus this is a non arguement, sony is supporting hard drives. And like the psp they will probably just release a value pack and no stand alone.

I was confused as to why everyone was speaking future tense when the 360 is already out... goddamed grave robber!

Naturally a hard drive would be more necessary and/or crucial for machines that do all these other multimedia, non-gaming functions.

Given that Kutaragi's crazy face has told us that the PS3 isnt even a gaming machine, it ought to come with a hard drive.

the hdd for the 360 is a neccessity because of xbox live. this is the xbox's strength and where its future lies. sony on the other hand still has no solid online plans. it sounds like it will be as useful as the hdd for ps2. with no strong purpose, it wouldn't make sense for sony to include one. so sony either needs to make the hard drive more useful and necessary, other than needing it to download a movie, or just get rid of the damn thing.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Naturally a hard drive would be more necessary and/or crucial for machines that do all these other multimedia, non-gaming functions.

Given that Kutaragi's crazy face has told us that the PS3 isnt even a gaming machine, it ought to come with a hard drive.[/QUOTE]

And a toaster, a foot warmer, a GPS system so you can track it in your livingroom, a farci translator, a set of all terrain wheels, a 5 quart stock pot and a 10 gallon hat.

Kutaragi has previously hinted that Sony hasn't reached a decision on the inclusion of the drive, and has also suggested that the drive may be up to 80Gb in size - compared to just 20Gb for the drive in the Xbox 360.

A decision hasn't been made. An included hard drive just means I can rip games to it so there is no load time.

[quote name='Roufuss']You people that are running out of space on your memory cards... how?

I've got 2 official Sony memory cards, 100 ps2 games, and I'm just now getting to the point where I need a third.

It's been about 3 years since I bought my last memory card, and you can find them pretty cheap if you look hard enough.

That's a damn good turn around from those tiny ps1 memory cards.[/QUOTE]

Really? I've filled up my single mem card and I've probably only played a dozen or so games. But thanks to the AR Max deal from a few weeks ago I just transferred the saves to my computer yesterday :) Might just be that some of the games I've played make pretty large saves. (Jak and R+C games seem to eat up a meg each.) Had to delete my R+C saves which sucked when I played the 3rd game - no freebies for me.

[quote name='Kayden']I was confused as to why everyone was speaking future tense when the 360 is already out... goddamed grave robber![/QUOTE]

Because Pyro Gamer thought it would be cool to search for an old thread from 5 months ago and put in his thoughts... Arent we all a little better for it.

memory cards can hold only so many sport games data such as franchise mode of madden 06, roster updates, and all that good junk! this kind of stuff uses up lots of space on memory cards and made me buy the xbox version instead of ps2. and it sucks for people who play final fantasy xi on playstation.. they had to buy a HDD..

[quote name='Kayden']And a toaster, a foot warmer, a GPS system so you can track it in your livingroom, a farci translator, a set of all terrain wheels, a 5 quart stock pot and a 10 gallon hat.[/QUOTE]
Oh God please let it be.... :lol:

bread's done
Back