C64 mini preorders!

Tendoboy

CAGiversary!
I’m sure someone will bitch because I did not dig deep enough to see if somebody else already posted this, but regardless, I’m posting it anyways....kick me off if you want, I am a conservative gamer...(prob get kicked)

It seems like only two stores are doing this right now Walmart and GameStop. I was going to order through GameStop’s website because I’m almost at the point where I can get a five dollars off a used game or such, blah blah blah.....but I noticed if you do in-store pick up they have a notation that you have to buy the extended warranty on it or the protection plan, as they call it, otherwise there will be a five dollar shipping charge?! I just think it’s BS so looks like I’m getting at Walmart, and they are the typical 3 cents cheaper?$#!

C64 mini info
https://thec64.com/

GameStop
https://www.gamestop.com/consoles/c64-mini-retro-gaming-console/166451

Walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Retro-Games-LTD-THEC64-Mini-Computer-Gray-RGL001/228650387

BTW .....LOVE THE C64!!

Last edited by a moderator:
did you jump on the preorder faster than you jumped to the conclusion you'd get kicked? lol

Already got banned from Animal Crossing Pocket Camp Reddit page for one stupid comment, so yeah likely, both!

I remember the good old days of the c64.  Wake up in the morning, put in the word processor program (easy word). type in (load "*",8,1) get ready, have breakfast, go to school, get home from school, fix a snack, feed the dog and sit in front of the computer and still wait 10 minutes for it to finishing to load.

I feel like there are a lot of great games missing from this and instead they loaded it up with "meh" titles instead. I see on the website you can load your own games onto it though, which is news I had not heard. Does anyone know if you can save the game on the machine or can you only load games from the usb stick (and since you have to rename the file to a specific thing to load, you could only have 1 game on the usb stick at a time)?

I remember the good old days of the c64. Wake up in the morning, put in the word processor program (easy word). type in (load "*",8,1) get ready, have breakfast, go to school, get home from school, fix a snack, feed the dog and sit in front of the computer and still wait 10 minutes for it to finishing to load.
Indeed....actually did all the same things you just mentioned but after that would sit there till 1130 at night typing in code out of a Computes Gazette magazine to play a video game, only to find when I typed run, it crashed and then find out I left a damn comma out somewhere ?!

I feel like there are a lot of great games missing from this and instead they loaded it up with "meh" titles instead. I see on the website you can load your own games onto it though, which is news I had not heard. Does anyone know if you can save the game on the machine or can you only load games from the usb stick (and since you have to rename the file to a specific thing to load, you could only have 1 game on the usb stick at a time)?
I have a friend of mine that’s been transferring our old floppy disks onto a USB drive....I’m hoping that we can plug that in and get it to load from there .... I’m happy it’s coming, you can plug in a usb keyboard and its a fully working C64, because it’s likely emulating it’s probably just as slow...

This site is great, been checking it for a few years, especially around Christmas time for the old demos they had, although I’m sure you can access the Christmas videos on this website regardless, just a trip, as the community is trying to preserve the games....for those who care.

https://c64preservation.com

I don't think anyone cares that you're a "conservative gamer" dude. No need to act victimized. I actually care more about people buying all these separate single board computers when they could just DIY a Pi and load it up with roms. My C64 folder has all the games and some apps and takes up about 500MB on my 64GB micro SD.

What did you say?
Probably something about how he wished he could deport the darker-skinned animals. ;)

I remember the good old days of the c64. Wake up in the morning, put in the word processor program (easy word). type in (load "*",8,1) get ready, have breakfast, go to school, get home from school, fix a snack, feed the dog and sit in front of the computer and still wait 10 minutes for it to finishing to load.
I think of this every time I hear people bitching about modern load times.

Here's to hoping it's quality craftsmanship like the NES and SNES classic editions. Not garbage like the Sega Editions with their piss poor emulation, muddy sound and/or shitty controllers. 

Oh man, just seeing the box covers of the Epyx "Games" series brings back some memories. Played the hell out of Street Sports Baseball as well.

Indeed....actually did all the same things you just mentioned but after that would sit there till 1130 at night typing in code out of a Computes Gazette magazine to play a video game, only to find when I typed run, it crashed and then find out I left a damn comma out somewhere ?!
LOL, yeah, I had this same problem with my Apple II back in the day. That's probably when I realized I had no future in programming, as it was never fun to spend hours typing something, only to realize shit happened someplace in the process. LOL

That C64 Mini has always looked cool, but I feel like $70 is steep for what it is. I am also not nostalgic for the C64 either. 

I remember my brother and I would ask for new 2600 game once a week at least, so our dad went out and got Computes Gazette instead. Not the same thing dad.

That C64 Mini has always looked cool, but I feel like $70 is steep for what it is. I am also not nostalgic for the C64 either.
Yeah, while I'm nostalgic for the C64 I realize I wouldn't spend more than a few minutes with each game today before I got bored. Watching some videos on YouTube when the nostalgia hits is enough for me.

C64 has aged really really terribly, I can't imagine there's too much of a market for this
I agree, it's aged worse than the Atari 2600 and no one wants that stuff either. As far as retro gaming goes there isn't much of a market for anything older than the NES/Master System that I can think of.

Why the hate on the C64? It is a amazing computer that still has great games being created to this day. Sam's Journey and Galencia are fucking awesome.

Why the hate on the C64? It is a amazing computer that still has great games being created to this day. Sam's Journey and Galencia are fucking awesome.
I don't think anyone is hating on the C64. The older games that would be included with this C64 Mini a few of us are saying they don't hold up and that the Mini isn't worth $70. I didn't grow up with the C64 though and had an Atari 5200 and NES as my first game systems. I grew up a Nintendo and Sega kid for the most part so I am just not nostalgic for the C64 either.

Well, If any of you bought this C64 handheld device with games included, back in the day, it’s worth quite a bit now I think I paid $12 for it at KB toys now it’s worth $120!?

https://www.amazon.com/Commodore-64-30-Games-One-Joystick/dp/B000701CSM
Yeah, that's just what an Amazon seller is asking for, doesn't mean he's getting. Most on Ebay average much lower, and while many are used, several new ones have gone for much less as well. I personally see this device having a similar fate over time, unless this unit can be used like the "N" Minis, where many games and system can be emulated.

I don't think anyone is hating on the C64. The older games that would be included with this C64 Mini a few of us are saying they don't hold up and that the Mini isn't worth $70. I didn't grow up with the C64 though and had an Atari 5200 and NES as my first game systems. I grew up a Nintendo and Sega kid for the most part so I am just not nostalgic for the C64 either.
Gotcha, misundertood. In regards to the mini then I would hope the modders unlock some very cool features. I may very well be interested if that was the case. I also recommend to anyone even remotely curious to scope out facebook marketplace and craigslist and find a C64 and maybe (hopefully) a commodore monitor. I lucked out bigger than shit when I picked up mine. Even repairing is pretty straight forward thanks to the community.

How is this a thing?
Well, way back in the day when some people were playing Nintendos, other people were playing games on computers and building their gaming memories that way.

However, I don't really get the whole retro-nostalgia gaming craze in general. I had fun back then but I've moved on to other newer fun things and, if I ever feel like I must play Project: Firestart, I can download an emulator, play it for a few hours and say "Well, that was that. See you in 2025 when I want to get it out of my system again". I'm simply not going to make playing Project: Firestart a weekly event that I need a dedicated machine for it.

Agreed that most of the games on this look ho-hum, although it does have Paradroid and that game was awesome.

That was my brother! You knew when he finished putting in code because he would always start yelling/weeping. Wait, are you my brother?

I would just wait until a computer fair came to town and then buy all the previous months' worth of Compute! Gazette programs for a buck a disk.

Anyone wondering if the C64 mini is worth the price or not, the UK magazine Retro Gamer did a review of it in issue #181. The reviewer thought it was a decent attempt at distilling the best the C64 library had to offer given licencing, etc, with his main criticism the amount of input lag the unit seemed to introduce despite outputting at HDMI 720p.

Funny, I still have my original 2600, you must be younger, but my wife and older son just bought me a 5200 at an antique store!! Never had or even saw one before...All the games still have the instructions, and it works just fine (although notorious for crappy controllers)

Gotcha, misundertood. In regards to the mini then I would hope the modders unlock some very cool features. I may very well be interested if that was the case. I also recommend to anyone even remotely curious to scope out facebook marketplace and craigslist and find a C64 and maybe (hopefully) a commodore monitor. I lucked out bigger than shit when I picked up mine. Even repairing is pretty straight forward thanks to the community.

Still have the 64, monitor and disk drive, in original boxes. Just have to dig them out...

Funny, I still have my original 2600, you must be younger, but my wife and older son just bought me a 5200 at an antique store!! Never had or even saw one before...All the games still have the instructions, and it works just fine (although notorious for crappy controllers)
Yeah, we could all argue over what the best controller of all time, and we would probably get many different #1's. But when it comes to the worst controller of all time, I don't think many would argue the 5200 wins top honors hands down. LOL

Thanks, I got a kick out of reading that guy's rant. I do think I'm superior for being competent enough to operate Linux and load an open source platform with 30,000 games across dozens of systems, instead of buying proprietary, one system versions of the same thing for roughly the same price and bitching about the game selection.

Wow, I don't think I've ever read an article that discribed these threads so accurately.

Nes mini
Snes mini
C64 mini
You forgot the Arcade1Up machines, sport. Nothing like paying $300 for 3/4 games on a MAME machine in a child-sized cabinet!

You forgot the Arcade1Up machines, sport. Nothing like paying $300 for 3/4 games on a MAME machine in a child-sized cabinet!
I love that they present "It's smaller so you can sit on this little stool while you play" as a selling point. Nothing to make you feel old like "It's too hard to stand at an arcade game these days".

Pretty sure the average kid today woudn't even have the patience to load a Commodore 64 disk let alone deal with the command lines. Raid on Bungeling Bay probably took 20 minutes to load. That was the longest one. Had a lot of cartridges and tons of copied discs.

I did buy one of the all in one controllers with 30 games years back for like $20... ended up not even opening as I was really only casually interested in it and eventually ebayed it off for well more than I paid.   C64 mini seems solid for what it is.  I like that you can connect a keyboard and actually use it as a C64... but... I know myself and I'd never put real time in with it.   Glad to see those that want it are getting that option with an actual preorder.

Well, way back in the day when some people were playing Nintendos, other people were playing games on computers and building their gaming memories that way.

However, I don't really get the whole retro-nostalgia gaming craze in general. I had fun back then but I've moved on to other newer fun things and, if I ever feel like I must play Project: Firestart, I can download an emulator, play it for a few hours and say "Well, that was that. See you in 2025 when I want to get it out of my system again". I'm simply not going to make playing Project: Firestart a weekly event that I need a dedicated machine for it.

Agreed that most of the games on this look ho-hum, although it does have Paradroid and that game was awesome.
It’s history, never gets out of your system....a lot of great memories! That’s why these things are important, I’ve kept up, and have all the new systems, I enjoy them as well, but in another 20 years they will be retro and you’ll remember playing those ( if your fortunate) ...continuation of the journey....My son recently bought a raspberry pie and put retro gaming stuff on it, we are playing the original NES Castlevania tonight, I never even played through it, he’s only 22, but still greatly appreciates and enjoys it, even though we are making cracks about how different games are now, the intensity (new Smash bros announcement today) vs load times, bad controls, of the past, etc. regardless, if you appreciate these retro machines regardless of your age and are able to buy them, it’s priceless and your enjoying history, thankfully that isn’t in erasure or denial mode.

You guys and your fancy disks...we had the cassette tape storage unit.
No shit, have a pile of those and accidentally put one in a cassette player, you wake up pretty quick, most don’t really even remember dial-up Internet and the same horrible squealing noises created.....waiting for that to connect and load....

bread's done
Back