* - - - - 1 votes

C64 mini preorders!

#1 Tendoboy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   236 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Tendoboy

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:54 PM

I’m sure someone will bitch because I did not dig deep enough to see if somebody else already posted this, but regardless, I’m posting it anyways....kick me off if you want, I am a conservative gamer...(prob get kicked)

It seems like only two stores are doing this right now Walmart and GameStop. I was going to order through GameStop’s website because I’m almost at the point where I can get a five dollars off a used game or such, blah blah blah.....but I noticed if you do in-store pick up they have a notation that you have to buy the extended warranty on it or the protection plan, as they call it, otherwise there will be a five dollar shipping charge?! I just think it’s BS so looks like I’m getting at Walmart, and they are the typical 3 cents cheaper?$#!

C64 mini info
https://thec64.com/

GameStop
https://www.gamestop...-console/166451

Walmart

https://www.walmart....GL001/228650387

BTW .....LOVE THE C64!!

#2 TheRealRizzo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   113 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

TheRealRizzo

Posted 06 August 2018 - 11:58 PM

did you jump on the preorder faster than you jumped to the conclusion you'd get kicked? lol

#3 Tendoboy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   236 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Tendoboy

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:00 AM

Already got banned from Animal Crossing Pocket Camp Reddit page for one stupid comment, so yeah likely, both!

#4 robbyH   The King of EVILLLLL! CAGiversary!   364 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:19 AM

I remember the good old days of the c64.  Wake up in the morning, put in the word processor program (easy word). type in (load "*",8,1) get ready, have breakfast, go to school, get home from school, fix a snack, feed the dog and sit in front of the computer and still wait 10 minutes for it to finishing to load.

#5 jumpman17   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   68 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

jumpman17

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:34 AM

I feel like there are a lot of great games missing from this and instead they loaded it up with "meh" titles instead. I see on the website you can load your own games onto it though, which is news I had not heard. Does anyone know if you can save the game on the machine or can you only load games from the usb stick (and since you have to rename the file to a specific thing to load, you could only have 1 game on the usb stick at a time)?

#6 Tendoboy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   236 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Tendoboy

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:38 AM

I remember the good old days of the c64.  Wake up in the morning, put in the word processor program (easy word). type in (load "*",8,1) get ready, have breakfast, go to school, get home from school, fix a snack, feed the dog and sit in front of the computer and still wait 10 minutes for it to finishing to load.

Indeed....actually did all the same things you just mentioned but after that would sit there till 1130 at night typing in code out of a Computes Gazette magazine to play a video game, only to find when I typed run, it crashed and then find out I left a damn comma out somewhere ?!

#7 Tendoboy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   236 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Tendoboy

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:40 AM

I feel like there are a lot of great games missing from this and instead they loaded it up with "meh" titles instead. I see on the website you can load your own games onto it though, which is news I had not heard. Does anyone know if you can save the game on the machine or can you only load games from the usb stick (and since you have to rename the file to a specific thing to load, you could only have 1 game on the usb stick at a time)?

I have a friend of mine that’s been transferring our old floppy disks onto a USB drive....I’m hoping that we can plug that in and get it to load from there .... I’m happy it’s coming, you can plug in a usb keyboard and its a fully working C64, because it’s likely emulating it’s probably just as slow...

#8 Tendoboy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   236 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Tendoboy

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:49 AM

This site is great, been checking it for a few years, especially around Christmas time for the old demos they had, although I’m sure you can access the Christmas videos on this website regardless, just a trip, as the community is trying to preserve the games....for those who care.

https://c64preservation.com

#9 dualrec  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:11 AM

I was so jacked. I loved Dragonfly as a kid.... and they left it off. Turds. They can keep it now.

#10 Moonbathing  

Moonbathing

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:34 AM

Already got banned from Animal Crossing Pocket Camp Reddit page for one stupid comment, so yeah likely, both!

What did you say?

#11 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   13922 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:42 AM

I don't think anyone cares that you're a "conservative gamer" dude. No need to act victimized. I actually care more about people buying all these separate single board computers when they could just DIY a Pi and load it up with roms. My C64 folder has all the games and some apps and takes up about 500MB on my 64GB micro SD.

What did you say?

Probably something about how he wished he could deport the darker-skinned animals.  ;)

#12 argyle   Mr. Lucky CAGiversary!   6380 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:53 AM

I think of this every time I hear people bitching about modern load times. 

#13 Super Sonic   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   612 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Super Sonic

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:54 AM

Here's to hoping it's quality craftsmanship like the NES and SNES classic editions. Not garbage like the Sega Editions with their piss poor emulation, muddy sound and/or shitty controllers. 

#14 Killbomb   The Misanthrope CAGiversary!   3483 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:20 AM

Oh man, just seeing the box covers of the Epyx "Games" series brings back some memories. Played the hell out of Street Sports Baseball as well.

#15 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6394 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:38 AM

Indeed....actually did all the same things you just mentioned but after that would sit there till 1130 at night typing in code out of a Computes Gazette magazine to play a video game, only to find when I typed run, it crashed and then find out I left a damn comma out somewhere ?!

LOL, yeah, I had this same problem with my Apple II back in the day. That's probably when I realized I had no future in programming, as it was never fun to spend hours typing something, only to realize shit happened someplace in the process. LOL

#16 Yu Narukami  

Yu Narukami

Posted 07 August 2018 - 11:57 AM

How is this a thing?

#17 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   3568 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:41 PM

That C64 Mini has always looked cool, but I feel like $70 is steep for what it is. I am also not nostalgic for the C64 either. 

#18 ianharwood   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   183 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

ianharwood

Posted 07 August 2018 - 12:58 PM

Probably something about how he wished he could deport the darker-skinned animals.  ;)

See you gotta be smart about it for publicity purposes, if you just ban Menthol cigarettes they won't come in the first place

#19 315Retro   Westside Wizard CAGiversary!   1195 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:12 PM

Lmao didn't expect that from this thread.

#20 husher   Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops? CAGiversary!   2423 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:13 PM

I remember my brother and I would ask  for new 2600 game once a week at least, so our dad went out and got Computes Gazette instead.  Not the same thing dad.

#21 Tendoboy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   236 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Tendoboy

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:39 PM

Well, If any of you bought this C64 handheld device with games included, back in the day, it’s worth quite a bit now I think I paid $12 for it at KB toys now it’s worth $120!?

https://www.amazon.c...k/dp/B000701CSM

#22 Killbomb   The Misanthrope CAGiversary!   3483 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 01:54 PM

That C64 Mini has always looked cool, but I feel like $70 is steep for what it is. I am also not nostalgic for the C64 either. 

Yeah, while I'm nostalgic for the C64 I realize I wouldn't spend more than a few minutes with each game today before I got bored. Watching some videos on YouTube when the nostalgia hits is enough for me.

#23 Larry Davis   It's All Smooth Sailing From Here On Out CAGiversary!   2693 Posts   Joined 3.7 Years Ago  

Larry Davis

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:00 PM

C64 has aged really really terribly, I can't imagine there's too much of a market for this

#24 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   3568 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:07 PM

C64 has aged really really terribly, I can't imagine there's too much of a market for this

I agree, it's aged worse than the Atari 2600 and no one wants that stuff either. As far as retro gaming goes there isn't much of a market for anything older than the NES/Master System that I can think of. 

#25 sainrub   CAGisdabomb! CAGiversary!   1446 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:33 PM

Why the hate on the C64? It is a amazing computer that still has great games being created to this day. Sam's Journey and Galencia are fucking awesome.

#26 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   3568 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:40 PM

Why the hate on the C64? It is a amazing computer that still has great games being created to this day. Sam's Journey and Galencia are fucking awesome.

I don't think anyone is hating on the C64. The older games that would be included with this C64 Mini a few of us are saying they don't hold up and that the Mini isn't worth $70. I didn't grow up with the C64 though and had an Atari 5200 and NES as my first game systems. I grew up a Nintendo and Sega kid for the most part so I am just not nostalgic for the C64 either. 

#27 chrislaustin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6394 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

chrislaustin

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:47 PM

Well, If any of you bought this C64 handheld device with games included, back in the day, it’s worth quite a bit now I think I paid $12 for it at KB toys now it’s worth $120!?

https://www.amazon.c...k/dp/B000701CSM

Yeah, that's just what an Amazon seller is asking for, doesn't mean he's getting. Most on Ebay average much lower, and while many are used, several new ones have gone for much less as well. I personally see this device having a similar fate over time, unless this unit can be used like the "N" Minis, where many games and system can be emulated.

#28 sainrub   CAGisdabomb! CAGiversary!   1446 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

I don't think anyone is hating on the C64. The older games that would be included with this C64 Mini a few of us are saying they don't hold up and that the Mini isn't worth $70. I didn't grow up with the C64 though and had an Atari 5200 and NES as my first game systems. I grew up a Nintendo and Sega kid for the most part so I am just not nostalgic for the C64 either. 

Gotcha, misundertood. In regards to the mini then I would hope the modders unlock some very cool features. I may very well be interested if that was the case. I also recommend to anyone even remotely curious to scope out facebook marketplace and craigslist and find a C64 and maybe (hopefully) a commodore monitor. I lucked out bigger than shit when I picked up mine. Even repairing is pretty straight forward thanks to the community.

#29 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   10595 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 07 August 2018 - 04:06 PM

How is this a thing?

Well, way back in the day when some people were playing Nintendos, other people were playing games on computers and building their gaming memories that way.

However, I don't really get the whole retro-nostalgia gaming craze in general.  I had fun back then but I've moved on to other newer fun things and, if I ever feel like I must play Project: Firestart, I can download an emulator, play it for a few hours and say "Well, that was that.  See you in 2025 when I want to get it out of my system again".  I'm simply not going to make playing Project: Firestart a weekly event that I need a dedicated machine for it.

Agreed that most of the games on this look ho-hum, although it does have Paradroid and that game was awesome.

#30 paulwekiva   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   712 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 05:11 PM

That was my brother! You knew when he finished putting in code because he would always start yelling/weeping. Wait, are you my brother?