* * * - - 2 votes

Users with Expired GCU: Preorders appear to be honored

#31 LannistersDebt  

LannistersDebt

Posted 14 August 2018 - 01:52 AM

Do you have the original Best Buy 'store card'? 

Yup, the one I have right now doesn't expire so I thought I was safe but I'm assuming the visa they'll send me will expire at some point

#32 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3984 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 06:08 PM

Yup, the one I have right now doesn't expire so I thought I was safe but I'm assuming the visa they'll send me will expire at some point

Strange. I have the store card, for probably a decade now. Never heard of anything changing.

#33 LannistersDebt  

LannistersDebt

Posted 15 August 2018 - 01:53 AM

Strange. I have the store card, for probably a decade now. Never heard of anything changing.

Just double checked the email I got and apparently I can decline the change. I think I will do that, I have no interest in upgrading it to use to other than bestbuy and this way my pre orders stay.

#34 Youngnoble   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1350 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Youngnoble

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:05 AM

Just double checked the email I got and apparently I can decline the change. I think I will do that, I have no interest in upgrading it to use to other than bestbuy and this way my pre orders stay.

The Citi bestbuy card also has a annual fee, I think its $60.

#35 humbug43  

humbug43

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:23 AM

Mine does have an annual fee.

#36 snacks28217   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   452 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

snacks28217

Posted 15 August 2018 - 03:57 PM

I have no annual fee.

#37 eulogywerd21   Jesus wept CAGiversary!   3271 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

eulogywerd21

Posted 15 August 2018 - 11:33 PM

The Citi bestbuy card also has a annual fee, I think its $60.

Mine does have an annual fee.

I have no annual fee.

I've had and used my BB Citi card for over a year and haven't paid any fee, so I can't see why they'd pick and choose who received the fee and who didn't unless it's based on your credit.

#38 snacks28217   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   452 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

snacks28217

Posted 16 August 2018 - 12:21 PM

When I applied, I had the option of store card or visa card. I chose store card. After about 2-3 years they said they were doing away with the store card and made it a visa.

#39 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3984 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2018 - 01:56 PM

When I applied, I had the option of store card or visa card. I chose store card. After about 2-3 years they said they were doing away with the store card and made it a visa.

When was this? I've had the store card for more than a decade and never heard of that.

#40 Touch3  

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:54 PM

From the bank's side, there are 2 different BB Visa cards:  The "My Best Buy Visa Platinum", which does not have an annual fee, and the "My Best Buy Visa Gold", which does have an annual fee.

I don't know for sure what would qualify you for one or the other, but I'd guess it's stuff like credit history/credit score/having a previous credit card with BBY, stuff like that.

As for applying for the card... it used to be that you had to choose whether you wanted to apply for the BBY Store Credit Card (only usable at BBY) or the RewardZone Mastercard/My Best Buy Visa.  But I believe a few years ago they changed it so that you no longer choose store or visa; you apply, the bank says "Based on your information, we approve you for Card A/B/C" and you take that offer or leave it.

As for doing away with the store credit card, I haven't heard anything like that, and the store card is still prominently listed on the website sooooo....

Giving a customer an opportunity to upgrade from Store Card to Visa is something the bank will do, because they want you to spend with that card everywhere you can.

#41 snacks28217   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   452 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

snacks28217

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:19 PM

When was this? I've had the store card for more than a decade and never heard of that.

2012ish

#42 snacks28217   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   452 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

snacks28217

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:29 PM

You are right.

#43 elarcadia  

elarcadia

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:23 PM

I'm so glad I renewed mine  in March. I still have a feeling they will pull the program completely before mine expires, but I will use it as long as I can!

#44 elarcadia  

elarcadia

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:29 PM

From the bank's side, there are 2 different BB Visa cards:  The "My Best Buy Visa Platinum", which does not have an annual fee, and the "My Best Buy Visa Gold", which does have an annual fee.

I don't know for sure what would qualify you for one or the other, but I'd guess it's stuff like credit history/credit score/having a previous credit card with BBY, stuff like that.

As for applying for the card... it used to be that you had to choose whether you wanted to apply for the BBY Store Credit Card (only usable at BBY) or the RewardZone Mastercard/My Best Buy Visa.  But I believe a few years ago they changed it so that you no longer choose store or visa; you apply, the bank says "Based on your information, we approve you for Card A/B/C" and you take that offer or leave it.

As for doing away with the store credit card, I haven't heard anything like that, and the store card is still prominently listed on the website sooooo....

Giving a customer an opportunity to upgrade from Store Card to Visa is something the bank will do, because they want you to spend with that card everywhere you can.

1) Your first point is spot on, BB has two bank cards, and you pretty much summed up exactly why one customer will get approved for the no-fee Visa, and another for the annual-fee Visa.

2) Your second point is wrong, BB does still give you the option for an in-store card or an outside Visa card. A customer just last week was approved and received the option to pick one or the other.

#45 Touch3  

Posted 29 August 2018 - 04:00 PM

1) Your first point is spot on, BB has two bank cards, and you pretty much summed up exactly why one customer will get approved for the no-fee Visa, and another for the annual-fee Visa.

2) Your second point is wrong, BB does still give you the option for an in-store card or an outside Visa card. A customer just last week was approved and received the option to pick one or the other.

I guess what I should have said was "You no longer choose store or visa ahead of the application."

Under the old system, before entering any financial info the customer would select either "I'm applying for the store card" or "I'm applying for the RZMC/Visa" ... then enter personal info, then get the acceptance/rejection.... instead of the current system of (maybe) getting your choice of card after entering info/being approved.