Destiny 2 $0.00 on PS4

Exactly how much it's worth.

(from a salty day one player who has also played with the new updates, none of which has changed my mind)

Ok, I’ll be the one person here who isn’t salty and say two things.

1. This is great for people who want to give it a try and have a blast with the base game. Which can be done, it’s a solid shooter.

2. It’s a smart business move by Bungie as it gets more people in the door who might possibly buy expansions.

Good stuff for both sides.

It is odd how the icon on the download list after you purchase it is the graphic for Destiny 2: Forsaken

Last edited by a moderator:

1. This is great for people who want to give it a try and have a blast with the base game. Which can be done, it’s a solid shooter.

2. It’s a smart business move by Bungie as it gets more people in the door who might possibly buy expansions.

Desitny 2's legacy in a nutshell. Cultivating low standards and apolgetics.

If this went free digital on Xbox I'd probably start playing again. At this point it hasn't even been worth getting up off the couch to play it in months.

It is also the approach Activision/Blizzard took with World of Warcraft. The base game and all previous expansions are now free (although that does require a subscription). There is fun to be had in that which is free, but the new expansion (which you have to pay $50 for) is where all the action is located. You can level up to within ten levels of the cap and get a good experience and the hooks can set, or at least that's the idea. Having to pay for earlier content raises the cost for new players to start playing, which turns many off as much of that cost would be considered "throw away" as you blitz through it to get to the content most others are enjoying.

Shut up! Salt only!!!!

OK, for free? I'll take a shot. Despite the killer sodium levels in this topic, this game can't be so bad that it's not even worth free.  :shame:

I rebought a physical copy of vanilla for $3.79 or somesuch from Best Buy thinking i'll need it someday later when the expansions are on firesale. Now i have to rethink my strategy.

Base game campaign is great, it's the crap expansions and requirements to buy them to get forsaken that keeps me far away for the near future.

I'm still waiting for a good deal on Rise of Iron :)

Too little too late at this point.  

No time to invest in this game.  The huge deluge of upcoming games will keep my time.  Maybe April 2019 I'll have a spot clear on my calendar for this game.  By that time, hopefully Forsaken will be reduced.

The game is fun there's just not a lot of game available in the base game or available expansions combined. People will hit the base game cap over the free weekend...

Technically there isn’t as much to do in D2 as there was in D1. But to be fair the base game of D2 still offers a ton more than most games released nowadays with some 10 hour campaign that has no replayability. There is still easily ~35 hours of stuff to do in the base game if you played every mission and strike once and made all three characters. And not to mention the raid. D2 is supposed to be headed back in the direction of D1 with forsaken which I’m hoping it does but if it doesn’t I’ll just not touch it again. No loss.

Forsaken is not really game changing from what I can tell.  PvP is great, because the shooting mechanic is there, but I can get the same from D1 pvp.

PvE, they have no clue still of what is good.  Scorn, new enemies borrow heavily on mechanic from other faction (explode unit, shield).  

Raid boss in general around multiplayer platform jumping.  The boss doesn't chase after you, he stand still with a "shoot here" weakpoint (head or glowing spot).  Majority of your interaction with raid boss is actually setting up the damage phase (platiform), where you have to communication with team.  But this is a shooter, your interaction with a shooter boss should be strafe dodging.  There is always something unnerving when your damage doesn't physically affect enemy animation, (skyrim, fallout, Destiny raid boss).  Destiny normal enemies are fun to shoot at for the same reasons.

I normally play FPS campaigns, if I don't intend to buy any DLC, will I get somewhat of a "complete" story with some sort of closure? Also, I will be playing entirely solo.

Technically there isn’t as much to do in D2 as there was in D1. But to be fair the base game of D2 still offers a ton more than most games released nowadays with some 10 hour campaign that has no replayability. There is still easily ~35 hours of stuff to do in the base game if you played every mission and strike once and made all three characters. And not to mention the raid. D2 is supposed to be headed back in the direction of D1 with forsaken which I’m hoping it does but if it doesn’t I’ll just not touch it again. No loss.
My problem is that it shouldn't have had to take 80ish dollars to get back into the same direction as D1. If they had made Forsaken free as a good-faith gift I might be more amicable. I really want to like the game because there's lots of it I enjoy, but the lack of content variety is horribly stifling and their idea of charging to fix their mistakes that they've acknowledged is skeezy.

I hope that someday in the future, physical copies of games will come with a free digital copy. Much like they do with DVDs and Blu Rays now. Sometimes I'm lazy, and I don't want to have to go digging through my house, looking for specific games. It would be nice to just load up the digital version, instead of having to use the disc, sometimes.

how is it that a game of similar concept, The Division, learned from it's mistakes, to crawl up from the gutter and semi- redeem itself with fans

While in contrast, Destiny was *the* model for "persistent online shooters", done right... and for some reason they decided to follow up an exemplary well-done design by doing a sharp turn off the "wtf?" -cliff with their sequel.

how is it that a game of similar concept, The Division, learned from it's mistakes, to crawl up from the gutter and semi- redeem itself with fans

While in contrast, Destiny was *the* model for "persistent online shooters", done right... and for some reason they decided to follow up an exemplary well-done design by doing a sharp turn off the "wtf?" -cliff with their sequel.
I think the problem was the team making destiny 2 wasn’t the team that improved destiny 1. So the D2 Team thought everything they were changing was “good” and now the game seems to finally be in a d1 state of feel with this latest update.

Also I think the division is still gonna leave a lot of people salty, I find it absurd that they conveniently announced all story DLC is free for division 2 only for them to reveal a gold edition that’s $110 with a “year 1 pass” that gives you a week early access to all the DLC. I guess they feel playing the DLCs a week early is worth the price of all the dlc itself. Not to mention their having micro transactions to increase your vault space. Atleast all micro transaction in destiny Are cosmetic in nature

I think the problem was the team making destiny 2 wasn’t the team that improved destiny 1. So the D2 Team thought everything they were changing was “good” and now the game seems to finally be in a d1 state of feel with this latest update.

Also I think the division is still gonna leave a lot of people salty, I find it absurd that they conveniently announced all story DLC is free for division 2 only for them to reveal a gold edition that’s $110 with a “year 1 pass” that gives you a week early access to all the DLC. I guess they feel playing the DLCs a week early is worth the price of all the dlc itself. Not to mention their having micro transactions to increase your vault space. Atleast all micro transaction in destiny Are cosmetic in nature
Luckily Amazon had the Gold edition for 48 a few weeks back[emoji41]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I hope that someday in the future, physical copies of games will come with a free digital copy. Much like they do with DVDs and Blu Rays now. Sometimes I'm lazy, and I don't want to have to go digging through my house, looking for specific games. It would be nice to just load up the digital version, instead of having to use the disc, sometimes.
There has been a few games that did this, and a few that even did this on purpose... lol.

Can't remember the game but when you put in the DLC code it gave you the full game on accident.

It will never happen on a large scale, but one can dream!

There has been a few games that did this, and a few that even did this on purpose... lol.
Can't remember the game but when you put in the DLC code it gave you the full game on accident.

It will never happen on a large scale, but one can dream!
For Honor Gold Edition on Xbox One did that xD

bread's done
Back