* - - - - 5 votes

Destiny 2 Free @ Best Buy

#1 SlaughterX   Teh Killer CAGiversary!   1392 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2018 - 10:58 PM

I think you just have to buy an Xbox One or PS4 game over $30. Works on preorders too.

#2 BryanDGAF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1181 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:00 PM

Change the title to reflect the prerequisite to get the game free.
Also not worth it if psplus member or in general since you need the expansions

#3 Kristaps Schwartzingis  

Kristaps Schwartzingis

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:13 PM

Not really free. The base game does absolutely nothing for you. You must buy the expansions in order to really have a game worth playing.

#4 chnandler_bong   Unofficial CAG Headless Mad Comber of Comb Mountain CAGiversary!   11109 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

chnandler_bong

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:24 PM

Not really free. The base game does absolutely nothing for you. You must buy the expansions in order to really have a game worth playing.

For free* you can get some enjoyment out of it, but I recommend getting the expansions.

#5 Derrick1979   I think I've been here to long ! CAGiversary!   5908 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Derrick1979

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:29 PM

Fake news

#6 BadWaluigi=Luigi  

BadWaluigi=Luigi

Posted 06 September 2018 - 12:36 AM

Thanks. Already in the sticky ad though.

#7 angsto2   Lurker CAGiversary!   134 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:50 AM

A copy of Destiny 2 showed up today from my Spider Man pre-order.  Since I already had it and was going to Best Buy anyway, I left the game under my windshield wiper for some lucky person.   When I got back, there were 4 more copies of Destiny 2 on the windshield . . . .

#8 DaShaka   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2076 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2018 - 03:39 AM

I’m just as against Destiny 2 as anyone else these days, but I don’t think you understand what the word “absolutely” means, or you’re just trying to be dramatic. Someone can get a good 10 hours of enjoyment out of destiny 2, they just need to go in with the expectation of quitting once they hit the paywall, and be okay with that.

#9 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   3092 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 06 September 2018 - 04:09 AM

I’m just as against Destiny 2 as anyone else these days, but I don’t think you understand what the word “absolutely” means, or you’re just trying to be dramatic. Someone can get a good 10 hours of enjoyment out of destiny 2, they just need to go in with the expectation of quitting once they hit the paywall, and be okay with that.

Exactly.
Take it home, play it over a weekend.. trade it in for $2-3 +gcu/gs bonus.

Theres nothing forcing/requiring you to buy any dlc to have any fun.

#10 SlaughterX   Teh Killer CAGiversary!   1392 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2018 - 01:49 PM

Also the PS version comes with a free month of PS+

#11 stringycupps1  

stringycupps1

Posted 06 September 2018 - 02:36 PM

Also the PS version comes with a free month of PS+

Do those let you add to an existing membership?  I remember the free ones for XBL wouldn't let me

#12 CyborgNinja  

CyborgNinja

Posted 06 September 2018 - 06:03 PM

Not that it matters really, but will they just hand you a Destiny 2 case if you're picking up Spider-Man on Friday that you preordered prior to this week or would you have to re-preorder it?

#13 Havok83   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1896 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2018 - 07:18 PM

As someone that hasnt played it yet, why do people say this? Obviously expansions added new content that a newcomer cant access, but why would the base game not be worth playing when it was for millions at launch?

#14 Dr0p   Chief Red Thunder CAGiversary!   1495 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:15 PM

May aswell get the plus version, cuz it's unplayable without it anyways

#15 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   3092 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:32 PM

May aswell get the plus version, cuz it's unplayable without it anyways

Explain “unplayable”
Does the dlc actually add the ability to play the game? The base game is just character creation? The dlc took away all ability to play the base story?

#16 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3415 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:36 PM

Explain “unplayable”
Does the dlc actually add the ability to play the game? The base game is just character creation? The dlc took away all ability to play the base story?

I think he's talking about playing it without having the online subscription service PlayStation plus.

But just so people know the story is playable without PS+ but all online components will obviously not be playable.

#17 gogomo  

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:44 PM

As someone that hasnt played it yet, why do people say this? Obviously expansions added new content that a newcomer cant access, but why would the base game not be worth playing when it was for millions at launch?

You can play the initial story just fine.  I can't be bothered to reinstall the game and check, but pretty sure some end game activities will be locked behind DLCs.  I can't imagine you can play the same version of the nightfall strike with people that grossly outlevel you and have better weapons.

#18 Havok83   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1896 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:17 PM

You can play the initial story just fine.  I can't be bothered to reinstall the game and check, but pretty sure some end game activities will be locked behind DLCs.  I can't imagine you can play the same version of the nightfall strike with people that grossly outlevel you and have better weapons.

they dont filter matches/strikes based on character level or expansions?  

#19 SlaughterX   Teh Killer CAGiversary!   1392 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 06 September 2018 - 11:52 PM

He's talking about the Nightfall strike with is the highest level you can play...  I am sure you can still do a strike playlist with all the old strikes.

#20 shosaisyu   Waster of Monies CAGiversary!   186 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

shosaisyu

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:01 AM

I already had destiny 2, but I preordered a game and got a free coaster.

tWO7ypi.jpg

#21 Malignpariah   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   48 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Malignpariah

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:37 AM

You have multiple coasters yet there is a coffee cup sitting on the table without one. SAVAGE!

tWO7ypi.jpg

#22 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5182 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:54 AM

The biggest bonus you’ll get with your RDR2 pre-order 😉

#23 brichb   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   8 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:23 PM

#24 brichb   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   8 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:26 PM

I don’t know exactly what it is about Destiny, but it triggers stupidity like this more than any game I’ve seen.

You can play everything up through a few end game activities with the base game, including the first raid. That’s probably 20-30 hrs to get through on your first character (not including finishing a raid which can take a whole day if you don’t have an experienced team carrying you through the first time) plus multiplayer when you’re done if you enjoy that. Most $60 new releases are over in 10 hrs, so I’ve never understood the complaints about this specific series.

#25 mrclutch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4431 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 September 2018 - 01:21 PM

I don’t know exactly what it is about Destiny, but it triggers stupidity like this more than any game I’ve seen.

You can play everything up through a few end game activities with the base game, including the first raid. That’s probably 20-30 hrs to get through on your first character (not including finishing a raid which can take a whole day if you don’t have an experienced team carrying you through the first time) plus multiplayer when you’re done if you enjoy that. Most $60 new releases are over in 10 hrs, so I’ve never understood the complaints about this specific series.

Ditto. Perfect summary! Only thing to add is the shooting is really fun!

#26 happydogs   Razor barrel. CAGiversary!   533 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

happydogs

Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:08 PM

Hofbrau. You got good taste in beer.

Augustiner is better, though.

#27 DaShaka   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2076 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:17 PM

The complaints are mostly about how they handle post (main) game DLC and pricing, which is justified most of the time, but I agree about the base game. Especially since it’s now free. People shouldn’t complain about it. I had a lot of fun with the base game, I just wish I avoided the first two DLC packs.

#28 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14872 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:07 AM

People jump on the dumbass bandwagon too often. They buy every edition of sports games at launch for essentially updated rosters, spend $400 on Hearthstone packs, and buy stupid DLC skins. Then someone with 20,000 twitch followers says "oh man this game sucks it has an end-game DLC gate" and it becomes a meme that people who didn't even play the game for more than 30 minutes mimic like a neckbeard battlecry. Next thing you know, they're cutting Bungie logos off their own clothes and voting to up their taxes to build a wall against the Fallen.

#29 etcrane   A Damn Fine Cup of Coffee CAGiversary!   5182 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 September 2018 - 03:26 AM

I think my biggest issue with Destiny is that the story is kind of a mess and feels hard to follow vs something like Halo. Couple that with parasitic dlc practices that locked previously playable content behind newly released DLC and you have a recipe for a very polarizing franchise.

The gameplay mechanics are solid and the graphics are good, but it all feels a bit soulless. Destiny 2 improved the narrative but it still isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. I don’t see either of these games going down as classics.

Perhaps Anthem will be what Destiny originally appeared to be, with legitimate exploration and stronger rpg and multiplayer elements. Although I have my doubts after the whole ‘hub world only npc’ thing. Just my 2 cents.

#30 BadWaluigi=Luigi  

BadWaluigi=Luigi

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:08 PM

Someone can get a good 10 hours of enjoyment out of destiny 2, they just need to go in with the expectation of quitting once they hit the paywall, and be okay with that.

This, full stop. Got it with a few other games in some XB1 S bundle with expansions. I havent even felt the need to play those quite yet (I might get to them). Just go through the main questline as organically as possible (ie without grinding or repeating side activities or w/e) and after 10 hours you'll realize you've just played a pretty damn good Halo spinoff campaign.