Yoku’s Island Express Switch $20 ($18/16 for Pro/Elite) @ GS

Samsung

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
GameStop has converted their new copies of Yoku’s Island Express for the Nintendo Switch to preowned stock, which means if you buy a used one there, you likely will receive a new copy.

Below is the link to the game, search for your area under preowned and see if a local store has a copy. It’s an excellent game for $20, or even less if you are a Pro ($18) or Elite ($16) member.

https://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-switch/games/yokus-island-express/157229

Credit goes to arse_full_of_farts (great username) over at the NintendoSwitchDeals subreddit

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost regret buying it digitally now. Since it’s kind of a one and done type of game. Got it on sale for $12, and it’s worth that price, so no real loss.

The fuck is Yoku's Island? Sounds like a Bollywood version of Yoshi's Island. Do you save baby Aamirio from the Kupra Troopers who want to place him in an abusive orphanage?

The fuck is Yoku's Island? Sounds like a Bollywood version of Yoshi's Island. Do you save baby Aamirio from the Kupra Troopers who want to place him in an abusive orphanage?
Basically came here to say this, then i saw it's a Team 17 game (Worms forever!), which made me look into it further, and now i think i'm gonna have to buy a copy. I love Metroidvania style games, and i'm a sucker for video pinball, so this should be a match made in heaven for me.

I'll probably grab a converted copy if my local store has it, but out of curiosity, when was the last time the digital version was on sale?

Damn I just bought it digitally a week ago and finished the main game last night. It was a good experience but I don’t know I’m in love with it.

“He who throws dirt loses ground.”

I guess the Switch version must have something cool to ask normally 40 bucks - way too much for this game.

Bought it and completed on ps4, but it's almost zero replaybility after 100%, I would even gladly revisit World to the West, instead of this one.

it's fun, but very simple, I was waiting for something cool to happen with different "costumes" for your ball, but nothing, wasted opportunity.

Thanks for the heads up on this.  Will definitely try and pick up a copy soon.

I wonder if a bunch of titles just got converted new to used.  For example I randomly checked Moss for PS4VR and it also appears to be new converted to used (though slightly more expensive at $24.99).

Also, all the versions of Yoku's Island Express were converted, not just the Switch version in case any PS4 or XB1 owners were wondering.  Though the Switch version is the best value.

I guess the Switch version must have something cool to ask normally 40 bucks - way too much for this game.

Bought it and completed on ps4, but it's almost zero replaybility after 100%, I would even gladly revisit World to the West, instead of this one.

it's fun, but very simple, I was waiting for something cool to happen with different "costumes" for your ball, but nothing, wasted opportunity.
It is a great game but yes $40 is way too much. But there is something you can do with the ball costumes. Not huge, but you need to change into 4 costumes to get 100%

I just bought it last week, so i may return the PS4 version and get the Switch. will give me an excuse to play through it again at a later date. :)

It is a great game but yes $40 is way too much. But there is something you can do with the ball costumes. Not huge, but you need to change into 4 costumes to get 100%

I just bought it last week, so i may return the PS4 version and get the Switch. will give me an excuse to play through it again at a later date. :)
Yes, as I said is a fun game, otherwise i wouldn't have completed the game on ps4.

Well I meant the ball have some abilities once you change the costume, here you change the ball just to access blocked areas, I was looking for things like Faster ball, slower ball, temporary duplicity.

Btw, maybe I'm a little bitter because as a collector I wanted to keep the game on my shelf (First boss was Pure fun), but really, with almost none replaybility I had to sell it :/ Maybe if it's part of a cool Flash sale I'll grab it digitally.

Yes, as I said is a fun game, otherwise i wouldn't have completed the game on ps4.
Well I meant my balls have some abilities once you change the costume, here you change the ball just to access blocked areas, I was looking for things like Faster balls, slower balls, temporary duplicity.
Btw, maybe I'm a little bitter because as a collector I wanted to keep the game on my shelf (First boss was Pure fun), but really, with almost none replaybility I had to sell it :/ Maybe if it's part of a cool Flash sale I'll grab it digitally.
Ok I'm sold. Do these games that get moved to preowned ever drop in price quickly oris it best to get it before it's gone?

Great game, I paid full price for the physical copy when it came out and have no regrets. It's a steal for this price, one of the most original and fun games I've played all year.  

I got the last Switch copy at the local Gamestop.  Does this come with any inserts such as a manual?  I'm guessing not, but you never know since many physical Switch titles do.

I got the last Switch copy at the local Gamestop. Does this come with any inserts such as a manual? I'm guessing not, but you never know since many physical Switch titles do.
Yoku's, unfortunately, does not. Same with Wild Guns Reloaded too, which is a shame since Natsume does occasionally include a keychain with their games.

Bought this game a few days ago and just finished the main story today. Totally worth the $16 w/ Elite pro. Very unique and creative game.

Yoku's, unfortunately, does not. Same with Wild Guns Reloaded too, which is a shame since Natsume does occasionally include a keychain with their games.
Thanks for the confirmation on Yoku. Regarding Wild Guns Reloaded, if you buy directly from Natsume on Amazon they include a keychain. Though its more a keychain in a baggie with the game, than within the game packaging itself.

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Reloaded-Limited-Keychain-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07C4QB3GK/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1536630714&sr=1-1&keywords=wild+guns+reloaded

So if you go in store and ask for a "used" copy they will give you a brand new copy?  Or do you have to order it online and then they will give you the new/sealed copy as a used one?  Or do they just rip the plastic wrap off and sell them used?  Anyone know why they do this?

Sorry for 20 questions.  I'm going to check out the demo and if I like it I may look into getting it.

So if you go in store and ask for a "used" copy they will give you a brand new copy? Or do you have to order it online and then they will give you the new/sealed copy as a used one? Or do they just rip the plastic wrap off and sell them used? Anyone know why they do this?

Sorry for 20 questions. I'm going to check out the demo and if I like it I may look into getting it.
I have found that when GameStop converts new games to pre-owned it’s usually their last copy that was on display. So it’s already opened, but still technically new. They just stick a pre-owned sticker on the previous new sticker.

Now I’m not sure what they do if they have multiple new copies of a game that’s been converted from new to pre-owned. They might actually open all of them and sell them as pre-owned.

Also, when you buy a game that’s been converted sometimes they will say they can’t find the game. Tell them to check the new draw, because 9 times out of 10 they forgot to move the game to the pre-owned draw. I’ve had this happen many times.

I have found that when GameStop converts new games to pre-owned it’s usually their last copy that was on display. So it’s already opened, but still technically new. They just stick a pre-owned sticker on the previous new sticker.

Now I’m not sure what they do if they have multiple new copies of a game that’s been converted from new to pre-owned. They might actually open all of them and sell them as pre-owned.

Also, when you buy a game that’s been converted sometimes they will say they can’t find the game. Tell them to check the new draw, because 9 times out of 10 they forgot to move the game to the pre-owned draw. I’ve had this happen many times.
I tried the demo out tonight and liked it. It's quirky but it kept me intrigued. If I want to buy the game tomorrow do you recommend I just go to the store and ask for a used copy or order it online? Or does it just not even matter?

I tried the demo out tonight and liked it. It's quirky but it kept me intrigued. If I want to buy the game tomorrow do you recommend I just go to the store and ask for a used copy or order it online? Or does it just not even matter?
I would definitely go to a store, because you never know what you are going to get when buying online. You could very well get the cartridge only if you buy online.

I would just go over to the pre-owned Switch games and grab the case yourself. That way if there’s more than one used copy you can pick the case that’s in the best shape, if you care about that.

Also, if there’s more than one copy and you don’t like the condition of the cartridge just ask to see the other one. Employees have always been pretty cool about it when I tell them I’m a collector.

I ended up snagging it just now at lunch and like you said, it was the last "new" copy that they had that was the display box.  The guy even commented on it stating that the game is brand new as in unplayed just not sealed.  The case was fine and looked new other than the sticker on it.  I may take a blow dryer to it later to get it off smoothly.  

I ended up snagging it just now at lunch and like you said, it was the last "new" copy that they had that was the display box. The guy even commented on it stating that the game is brand new as in unplayed just not sealed. The case was fine and looked new other than the sticker on it. I may take a blow dryer to it later to get it off smoothly.
Nice! Glad you were able to get a “new” copy.

If you are ever having trouble getting stickers or sticker residue off of cases you might pick up some Goo Gone. That stuff works wonders and can make cases look almost brand new again.

Nice! Glad you were able to get a “new” copy.

If you are ever having trouble getting stickers or sticker residue off of cases you might pick up some Goo Gone. That stuff works wonders and can make cases look almost brand new again.
It came off easily with the hair dryer method but that's good to know!

I have to say this game is one of the most unique and fun experiences I've had in ages.  Thanks OP for posting this because without this I'd have no clue WTF this game even is.  I played it for like 3 hours on my flights and didn't want to turn it off lol.  On my last flight that was like 65 inutes I started playing before we took off and didn't want to stop even after we were at the gate.  It's just super unique and has such charm.

bread's done
Back