Neo Geo Mini Amazon Order is Live

Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

I wasn't going to wait considering how niche the Neo Geo was back in the day.  There's no telling how many of these they will make, so its better to be safe then sorry.

It hadn’t actually been adding to cart until about 30minutes ago.

$109.00 and expected release is 10/15/18

It was supposed to go live at 12:01am PST tomorrow, the link posted above was provided to users that had requested a notification when it was available. Maybe the controllers and other stuff will be up then as well.

It was posted on Kotaku but I believe I removed the referral link from there. Hope everyone can get one before the resellers get ahold of them.

Ordered one, hoping to get one at Gamestop tomorrow instead to burn some credit. Also keeping an eye out on the controllers as apparently they were stupid rare in Japan and are going for insane prices now.

Neo Geo has always been one of my favorite consoles, and I had a Pocket as a kid. Just the Metal Slugs and King of Fighters/Garou make this worth while for me. Kinda sad we didn't get Top Hunter though

thx for the heads up. i pre-ordered, but kind of disappointed with the game list. i may just stick with arcade archives on the switch...hmm

I Want this, but looking at the SNK store and seeing controllers basically going for $30 each makes me hesitant especially with my backlog.

I'll be That Guy again and remind y'all that Retropie can do all of the systems you keep buying single board computers with a limited selection of preloaded roms for.

I did want this. Did. After reading reviews it seems like absolute garbage.

“You should forget about using the Neo Geo Mini on your TV, however. Even if you can be bothered to track down a relatively uncommon Mini HDMI to HDMI cable, the video output and scaling looks terrible and blurry, with no option to render proper pixels like on the NES and SNES Classic Editions.

For some reason, SNK has gone with an analog stick without a gate or microswitches, meaning there’s no feedback on the direction you’re pressing. It just moves smoothly in 360 degrees like you’d expect from a modern console controller.

The final complaint I have with the Neo Geo Mini is that even though it’s a self-contained system, SNK omitted a battery so you have to play it tethered to a USB cable. It doesn’t draw a lot of power — you can run it off a portable battery pack — but that just makes the decision even weirder. Including an internal battery, even one small enough for just a couple of hours’ play time, would have made the Neo Geo Mini”

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^

Funny you say that bad reviews turned you off of buying a neo mini

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N1vp8K-Z-jQ

This is one of the reviews that convinced me to get the neo mini. It shows the quality of the screen and what to do to optimize the video on a tv(you can switch the mode to 4:3 so that it will play on your tv in the natural video but with black bars on the right and left of the screen. It’s that simple. The reviewers sometimes mention that it plays even better on the 3 and a half inch screen, I’m used to playing my games on a switch, so that is no problem.

For potable power, you can use a phone charger power add bank, and it will be more portable . I think the decision to not include a controller or 2 is odd but it’s fucking fantastic that we are getting a quality first party machine from snk, as opposed to home brew or raspberry pi

^^^

This is one of the reviews that convinced me to get the neo mini. It shows the quality of the screen and what to do to optimize the video on a tv(you can switch the mode to 4:3 so that it will play on your tv in the natural video but with black bars on the right and left of the screen. It’s that simple. The reviewers sometimes mention that it plays even better on the 3 and a half inch screen, I’m used to playing my games on a switch, so that is no problem.

For potable power, you can use a phone charger power add bank, and it will be more portable . I think the decision to not include a controller or 2 is odd but it’s fucking fantastic that we are getting a quality first party machine from snk, as opposed to home brew or raspberry pi
That raises expectations a lot. Though if I can't nab controllers I'm not sure if it would still be worth keeping, especially if they are a limited run thing.

if you guys have an arcade stick with a brook universal fight board, they updated their firmware to support neo geo minis.

and damn it i missed this pre-order, hopefully i can snag one from gamestop.

I’m trying to preorder controllers from the snk website but it says I have my address filled out incorrectly, do they even ship to the USA?

It should go live on gamestop in 30 minutes, it was live for about 10 hours yesterday afternoon on amazon, but not sure if they will put it back up or not. It’s still available for pre order on amazon of uk and has been for a couple of days so it may not be so scarce after all

What’s interesting is that GameStop has the preorder up but is featuring the Japanese version. The games match international though, so likely just laziness.

^^^

I had a neo geo mini and sold it on ebay the other day, there is NOTHING you can do on this system to fix the video output. Putting it to 4:3 still applies an extremly blurry amd smudgey scaler that has NO option to disable it. If you want to play neo geo games on a tiny screen in your lap just buy the switch releases on the eShop.

The controllers have been in stock for several hours on Amazon so hopefully they are not as scarce in the US as they were in Japan.

I had a neo geo mini and sold it on ebay the other day, there is NOTHING you can do on this system to fix the video output. Putting it to 4:3 still applies an extremly blurry amd smudgey scaler that has NO option to disable it. If you want to play neo geo games on a tiny screen in your lap just buy the switch releases on the eShop.

That's what worries me. I did preorder one today just in case it turns into the NES classic. Though with it still being available to order as of now I doubt that.

This thing does look super cool, but I’ve never been a huge fan of SNK games except for Metal Slug. I hope they’re not scarce and end up dropping to around $70. I would definitely be in for one at that price.

I doubt it will since I’m sure the screen is a little costly, but I really hope so.

This thing does look super cool, but I’ve never been a huge fan of SNK games except for Metal Slug. I hope they’re not scarce and end up dropping to around $70. I would definitely be in for one at that price.

I doubt it will since I’m sure the screen is a little costly, but I really hope so.

I really don't like the design and will never use it portably. It should be $70 and less and make it just like the Nintendo classic consoles.

I really don't like the design and will never use it portably. It should be $70 and less and make it just like the Nintendo classic consoles.
Given that you would have to have a USB-C charger pack to use it portably, that probably diminishes the value even more. There is no battery in the system or place to insert batteries. It's weird that they include the screen indicating it is useful to take on the go, but you still have to plug it in for it to work.

Given that you would have to have a USB-C charger pack to use it portably, that probably diminishes the value even more. There is no battery in the system or place to insert batteries. It's weird that they include the screen indicating it is useful to take on the go, but you still have to plug it in for it to work.
That’s what doesn’t make sense. They make it portable yet it has to be tethered. Then when you plug it into a TV, it looks like absolute crap.

Higher end phones with USB-C can act as power sources btw.

I'm disappointed with the list of games too. It's basically 80% fighting games. Where's all the other genres?

That’s what doesn’t make sense. They make it portable yet it has to be tethered. Then when you plug it into a TV, it looks like absolute crap.
i dont think they ever marketed portability, their just a different version like nintendo mini, i have a problem with paying that much especially when i have all those games multiple times on different systems, well hopefully they come out with a second round that bundles at least one controller

I want this, but $109 is steep for what you get. If it included a controller I'd be in for one though. I am not too keen on the games included either since I have most of them on other collections and the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection will be out on Switch in November. 

I'm disappointed with the list of games too. It's basically 80% fighting games. Where's all the other genres?
I mean to be fair Fighters is the thing that SNK/NeoGeo are known for. But yeah I agree as well, there are a lot of good non fighters that got nixed. Like Puzzle Bobble and Top Hunter (For the U.S)

Not just that, but multiple iterations of the same series. I get they added and removed fighters over versions, but why have 10 of them be KoF and 3 Samurai Showdown. They should have picked the best received of each (or maybe two for KoF), then put in a better variety. And it should be a crime to have left out Baseball Stars and/or Cyber Baseball (and I'm not even a big fan of sports games, but those are fun).

I want this, but $109 is steep for what you get. If it included a controller I'd be in for one though. I am not too keen on the games included either since I have most of them on other collections and the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection will be out on Switch in November.
I don't think the 40th Anniversary Collection has Neo Geo games. The announced ones are their non-MVS home and arcade games from prior to the Neo Geo - like Ikari Warriors, Vanguard, etc.

bread's done
Back