Zenith 5" LCD ps2/gc/xbox 25 at Best Buy

[quote name='Chronic']I saw there was an old post http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54678&page=2&highlight=zenith

listing these for 49.99, I was just at the Best Buy in Coon Rapids Mn and they are all marked down to 24.99. The register still showed 49.99 but when I mentioned the 50% off she knew just what to do. It took a manger override but it wasn't a hassle.

Chronic[/QUOTE]

Anyone know more about this 50% deal. I'm going to check out my BB but I'm pretty sure if it rings up as $50, the cashier will just charge me for that. My BB has some clueless help.

I went to my BB in San Francisco last week. It was priced and scanned for $50. I asked the checkout guy if he knew about any deals for it, he said no. Bought it anyways and used it for a couple of days. The screen's not bad, I'm not sure about resolution but games were definitely playable; I played dynasty warriors with 2 players and it was fine. Popped in FFX and while the text is readable I wouldn't recommend playing it on it.

The video cable that it uses is really short, it just barely reaches the video output area. The screen is lightweight but it uses an AC adapter so I'm not sure if it would work on your road trip.

Decided to sell mine (I didn't think $50 was worth it since I had an opportunity to get a used 2 year old model tv for that price on craigslist) Got $50 back and ZOE 2 out of the deal.

get the gamecube one its much better IMO
the screen is 100x better than the intec ones and someone said it was even better than the psone lcds, it has an AV input so with the right cord u can hook any system 2 it, just incase anyone is wondering since no one helped when i asked, every screen has its own plug specific to the system u bought it for, so its not just plug composites in the holes and play, u need an av to composite plug to play other systems on it, and each one has a mount that is specific to the system, their site is extremely out dated so dont even try ordering other mounts(and if u do and get one let me know)

but the only one that is portable is the cube one, comes with cube car adapter as well, instead of the ac power plug the xbox and ps2 versions use

i compared the intec one and this one just in case anyone is wondering, and i sold my intec one thats how much better it is, very nice design, or u can get the psone and screen for $50 used at gamestop

the gamecube screen is the one that this thread is talking about
the $50 zenith ones from best buy, if u really one i think i can fire it up, take some pics of it in action and upload em

request a game u wanna see on it as well(couple in case i dont have it)

[quote name='BackInBlack']The Best Buy close to me has the Zeniths for all systems 50 bucks...are u saying they are marked down to 24.99 now?[/QUOTE]

It was a special at the OP's BB. It may be at some other BBs also, but it is not widespread. At the BBs that have the deal, they manually adjust the price at the register.

i was at my local BB, Santana Row, SJ. and the Zenith screen is still $49.99. Can anyone post pics with games displayed? How's the quality? Anyone who has one, how'bout a review? thanks!

I heard it's not that great of a screen compared to the psone screen, zenith screen is only half the quality. It's probably worth it though for just $24.99 if you can find it at that price.

bump....there's a promo going on with this screen. YMMV

at the San Jose, Almaden Plaza Best Buy, if you spend $50 in games (or accessories), you can pick up the screen for $29.99; in-store special. the B&M sales associate said they are way overstocked on this item, and they are trying to get rid of it. local BB will match the same offer.

I decided to pick one up last night. for $90, i got the 5 inch screen, Urbz, DBZ B2, Jet Controller, and 1019; not bad. I'll run the screen later tonight, and post back with a first impression.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']bump....there's a promo going on with this screen. YMMV

at the San Jose, Almaden Plaza Best Buy, if you spend $50 in games (or accessories), you can pick up the screen for $29.99; in-store special. the B&M sales associate said they are way overstocked on this item, and they are trying to get rid of it. local BB will match the same offer.

I decided to pick one up last night. for $90, i got the 5 inch screen, Urbz, DBZ B2, Jet Controller, and 1019; not bad. I'll run the screen later tonight, and post back with a first impression.[/QUOTE]

You mean any BB will match this offer, or are you just speaking to yours in particular?

Looking for impressions on the quality. I might get the GC one and play some portable Resident Evil 4....if it's possible in the car. I don't understand when it says "AC Adaptor not required"

and we're back.....after about 1.5 hrs with it. the 3 games I used to test were RE4, REmake, and SSBM.

okay, it's a 5 inch screen, but playing widescreen format games such as RE4 nets you slightly under 4.5 inches of playing field. play full screen games such as REmake and SSBM and you'll still notice 2 - 3 mm not used on both sides.

there are 2 controls. the brightness control is just okay, not really great, but not completely useless. the screen is extremely sensitive to the elevation you see it from, or how you position the angle. side-to-side view is barely okay for 2 players, move too far from it and the colors wash out. the sound controls are better; it claims to have simulated sourround, and it somewhat does feels that way. specs say they are 0.2W. using stereo headphones are what you expect, good; plus there are 2 connections for 2 sets of headphones.

I did not mount it to the top of my cube, as the RE4 graffix decals made it slightly oversized.

There is a car adaptor included, but I did not test it.

AC adaptor is not included, because it uses your existing GameCube adaptor. The screen is attached with 3 plug-ins, very easy to figure out. One goes into the video analog out, one goes into the power, and the last one plugs into your GC AC adaptor, which you finally plug into the wall. The screen basically runs off the Cube's power source, and connects to the Cube and power cord like a bridge. The cords are extremely short.

Quality. It's good, not bad, but also not spectacular. Not recommended for reading small text, your eyes will strain. It plays RE4, REmake, and SSBM fine. finer details are lost, but it plays as well as what you can expect from a portable screen. Example: in RE4, on the inventory screen the number of Pesetas you have are legible, but the number of bullets you have will be tougher to read. Refresh rate is good enough for action games, as ghosting or shadows are not present or noticeable.

i will finish this up later, my gf is PMSing!!

thanks man, good impressions

however, if it's hard to even read text and I'm assuming you are only inches away from the screen, than I'm afraid that doesn't sound too good.

If certain text can't even be read when I'm only one feet away from the screen than I almost see no point. I could understand it working for games like Tony Hawk or Mario Kart where text is not important, but what about RPGs and games like RE4?

I'm still thinking about it though. I hope they are $25 in my area.

hi, back with more details.

the lcd screen i got did not have any dead pixels. yes, reading small text will be tough, you will strain your eyes. I was only sitting probably somewhere between 18 to 22 inches away, and the smaller text is just not easy to read. the resolution is just not there for it.

Here's another example: in the beginning of RE4, there are 3 crows; playing on any regular television screen and you'll probably notice them; play it on the 5 inch lcd, and you better whip out the sniper rifle just to see them, and that's only if you knew they were there to begin with. (rifle 2nd playthrough) RE4 looks good on just about any screen, including this portable one, but you will not notice the finer details. i do recommend playing your first RE4 playthrough on a fairly sizable screen to fully enjoy the experience, then maybe on the smaller portable screen on the second round.

the quality is there. SSBM looked and played well. you'll enjoy the rich colors and fast action. however, i noticed the 3D look of the characters were lost. again, probably attributed to the resolution. the gallery was nice to see using the screen, but reading the trophy's history is like trying to decipher a puzzle.

i recommed this screen for action games, or just about any game, but with minimal text. at $25-$30, this lcd is a bargin and a steal. i am thinking about picking up a second one already, just in case i want portable LAN later. good luck.

[quote name='Mospeada_21']bump....there's a promo going on with this screen. YMMV

I decided to pick one up last night. for $90, i got the 5 inch screen, Urbz, DBZ B2, Jet Controller, and 1019; not bad. I'll run the screen later tonight, and post back with a first impression.[/QUOTE]

hah cool, that's the best buy i go to

Cool stuff.

At 5 inches, it's a tad bigger than a DS/GBA screen, but from the sounds of it, the resolution isn't the greatest but isn't that bad either.

I'll pick it up if I can find it for $25-$29 somewhere

How are these compared to Intec's? I have 2 Intecs from TRU 75% deal...
They suck big time! they have been sitting under my bed collecting dust ever since.

[quote name='jetblac']How are these compared to Intec's? I have 2 Intecs from TRU 75% deal...
They suck big time! they have been sitting under my bed collecting dust ever since.[/QUOTE]

i don't have an Intec screen, they are kinda pricey. you wanna send me one, and i'll compare them side-by-side, then post a review?

[quote name='jetblac']How are these compared to Intec's? I have 2 Intecs from TRU 75% deal...
They suck big time! they have been sitting under my bed collecting dust ever since.[/QUOTE]

Which one sucks the Intec's or the Zenith?

bread's done
Back