Edge, GamesTM, Retro Gamer, PC Gamer 24% Off Subscriptions 1 day Only

Joe Fongul

CAGiversary!
Feedback
172 (100%)
If you still love gaming magazines and do not want to pay $10-15 at Barnes & Noble each month, Future is running a 24 hour sale for 24% off site wide.  

Both Edge and GamesTM have been in my reading wheelhouse for years. PC Gamer US is also a great read as well...

Check out the sale here.

COUPON CODE: BQUICK

Last edited by a moderator:
Buying magazines in 2018? I used to subscribe to all of them 15 years ago, but the internet is everywhere now.

Serious question, does anyone in this day and age actually pay $10+/month on magazines?
Back in the days there used to be freebies or demos and cool stuffs that come with the magazines like stickers etc, without them, but these days nope. I stopped many years ago when consoles went digital.

I actually enjoy the physical magazines but what kills them is the price. Even at 25% off. I love that they still exist, but when you are competing with the internet which for the most part is free, how do they expect to compete? I really want to take advantage of this offer but the price kills it. I can get a lot of games for that price.

Retro Gamer is the big exception here to the "magazines are pointless" rule. There's no other publication, online or otherwise, that's able to get that much access to so many developers from gaming's early days. Sites like hardcoregaming101 do a wonderful job with analysis, and individual authors like Jeremy Parish and Chris Kohler do really excellent research, but if you're into the history of games, there's just nothing else out there that has primary source interviews and first-hand accounts from the people who were there like Retro Gamer does.

You'll learn a lot about the history of Euro-centric gaming too (lots of ZX Spectrum and Amiga coverage) but from a global perspective, it's really well-rounded. Absolutely worth every penny if you're into classic gaming, especially when there's a sale.

I have lots of these magazines and can attest to their quality. Retro Gamer even has a monthly section that covers and reviews homebrew games. They are worth it if you have the scratch. I would recommend the guides if you are a casual fan or first-time buyer of these publications.

True. But with work, by the time I have a minute it's usually late at night and reading on a screen hurts my eyes unfortunately.

Serious question, does anyone in this day and age actually pay $10+/month on magazines?
LOL, yeah, not so much anymore, but I still get a few. Retro Gamer, NF(Nintendo Force), and Old School Gamer magazine. NF & OSG are bi-monthly, and don't cost much anyways. Retro Gamer being based in the UK can cost a decent amount, but I normally subscribe with a proper deal, so my rate is probably about $8 or so per issue now(used to be slightly cheaper before Future bought out Imagine).

I'm actually probably more in to collecting physical gaming publications, than I am actual games. Over the years I've had tons of magazines, but once Jr. came along, and more space was required & funds, I got rid of some of my more non essential publications. I still have some of my childhood favs, like Diehard Gamefan(100% complete BTW), but I did sell off a good portion probably 10+ years ago. But now I've probably replaced those and then some.

I like physical, and that applies to books, magazine's, or games. I think it's great that so many things can be had digital, as it's a convenience for many, and if I posted some pics of my office currently, I would be a poster child for all digital I'm sure(it's just not my thing). LOL

Thanks, man.

Happy to finally subscribe to Edge after kicking the tires for so long.  Just needed a discount code!

Less than $6 an issue is pretty good.  (2 years, 13 issues a year.)

I love GamesTM, but with my Barnes and Noble membership, and being allowed to use coupons on magazines again, it's not saving enough to subscribe.  I'd actually lose money, depending on most month's coupons.

However, thanks, OP.

I cant decide between GamesTM or Retrogamer.
Retrogamer if you are more interested in stories about behind-the-scenes stuff with old school games. GamesTM if you enjoy previews and reviews of modern games. I'd pick Retrogamer because (a) much of the breaking news in GamesTM is already old by the time it hits the stands and (b) the GamesTM articles aren't as in depth as the Retrogamer articles and seem to be more focused on the spectacle of newer games than on the behind-the-scenes stuff. I've read all of my Retrogamers more than once, some three or four times. I don't go back to the GamesTM issues that often. But, both are professionally done. I just think GamesTM is too focused on trends sometimes.

Retrogamer if you are more interested in stories about behind-the-scenes stuff with old school games. GamesTM if you enjoy previews and reviews of modern games. I'd pick Retrogamer because (a) much of the breaking news in GamesTM is already old by the time it hits the stands and (b) the GamesTM articles aren't as in depth as the Retrogamer articles and seem to be more focused on the spectacle of newer games than on the behind-the-scenes stuff. I've read all of my Retrogamers more than once, some three or four times. I don't go back to the GamesTM issues that often. But, both are professionally done. I just think GamesTM is too focused on trends sometimes.
This^

As stated, GamesTM is mostly going to be current day content, which you may have already read or seen by the time your latest issue arrives. Where Retro Gamer is covering topics of past games, as well as new stuff, that more than likely you won't see any place else(as it's not mainstream content). This is mainly why I stopped buying mags that mostly cover new topics, as by the time I get the latest issue, I've already read most of the content on the web. Nintendo Force while covering new content, also covers many things past, present, future and everything in-between, and it's also the only "N" specific magazine left in the US I believe.

Does B&N carry any of these mags? I know they did carry Edge, but I haven’t even seen that for quite awhile.
Yeah, my local store carries all of their current magazines, as well as mostly all the bookazines as well. You may not be seeing them due to qty's ordered, as I know I have missed a few issues at my local store simply because I didn't come in before they sold out.

Retro Gamer is great, but I just can't subscribe to magazines anymore unless it's free or close to it. I get Game Informer from my Gamestop membership and rarely look at those. Obviously, Retro Gamer (really all of these) are much higher quality magazines, but even then I end up with a massive stack that I've looked through once or twice. 

That being said if this deal were a bit cheaper I'd have gotten a sub to Retro Gamer just to support the publication. 

Yeah, my local store carries all of their current magazines, as well as mostly all the bookazines as well. You may not be seeing them due to qty's ordered, as I know I have missed a few issues at my local store simply because I didn't come in before they sold out.
Thanks man, I will start keeping an eye out again. Does anyone happen to know approximately when B&N typically gets the new issues in each month?

Thanks man, I will start keeping an eye out again. Does anyone happen to know approximately when B&N typically gets the new issues in each month?
Any and every day really, as they get new stuff and restocks all the time. The best time to start checking is about 6 weeks after the UK street dates for their release at B&N. I get my subscription copies about 3 weeks after by mail, but of course mass bulk distribution takes more time. #184 of Retro Gamer was the most recent issue they got in, and that was about 1-2 weeks ago. That had an August 9th release date, and B&N got it about 6-7 weeks after that. I recently started physical therapy, so I stop by my local B&N every Tuesday & Thursday after my sessions, so I see most stuff within a few days of it arriving(at least recently I have). So yeah, 6-8 weeks seems about the average for these books to show up, hope this info helps. If your on the east coast, you'll probably see stuff faster, as I'm in Vegas, so stuff takes a while longer coming by truck. ! month might be a better timetable for east coast shoppers.

When i do run into a store that has game magazines ill sometimes glance through them... not once have i seen something in a magazine that i couldnt find online months prior.

Oh yeah, free.

Its the same way with all print media really, the always updating internet beats the old once a day/week/month print media.

Just yesterday a big story broke on a print magazine that isnt even in stores yet, its already been debunked... but the magazine cant edit their mistake now, and again its not even out in peoples hands yet... available online yes.

I can see people paying to have these digital, but in print... not anymore.

When i do run into a store that has game magazines ill sometimes glance through them... not once have i seen something in a magazine that i couldnt find online months prior.

Oh yeah, free.

Its the same way with all print media really, the always updating internet beats the old once a day/week/month print media.

Just yesterday a big story broke on a print magazine that isnt even in stores yet, its already been debunked... but the magazine cant edit their mistake now, and again its not even out in peoples hands yet... available online yes.

I can see people paying to have these digital, but in print... not anymore.
I disagree. There are few if any online outlets currently that will do the type of in-depth profiles that a magazine like Edge will do on a developer or game. Similarly, Retro Gamer has incredible interviews and stories on classic games and developers that you won't find anywhere else. There is also something amazing about holding a glossy magazine with high resolution photos and proper design. If you're just looking for news and reviews, that can be had for free everywhere, but you get what you pay for and if you're looking for something deeper, magazines like Edge and Retro Gamer can't be beat.

I disagree. There are few if any online outlets currently that will do the type of in-depth profiles that a magazine like Edge will do on a developer or game. Similarly, Retro Gamer has incredible interviews and stories on classic games and developers that you won't find anywhere else. There is also something amazing about holding a glossy magazine with high resolution photos and proper design. If you're just looking for news and reviews, that can be had for free everywhere, but you get what you pay for and if you're looking for something deeper, magazines like Edge and Retro Gamer can't be beat.
This man gets it.

Games TM and GamesMaster are folding. For those of you with an active subscription, can you update us on what happens? I'd guess that you'll be getting Edge as a replacement.
https://mobile.twitter.com/gamesTMmag/status/1053254491418562560
Very bummed about the loss of GamesTM, but that was a horrible and scummy move by the part of Future, who obviously knew they were folding and tried to get last-minute money in for subscriptions that they knew they wouldn't have to honor.

Very bummed about the loss of GamesTM, but that was a horrible and scummy move by the part of Future, who obviously knew they were folding and tried to get last-minute money in for subscriptions that they knew they wouldn't have to honor.
Yeah, since having to deal with Future much more since they bought out Imagine, it has not been a fun ride at all. Like others have said, getting any new mags that cover current gaming is often a waste. As by the time the issue has arrived, the information is already at least 30 days old. Retro Gamer, the only mag I get from Future, is mostly retro, so most of the content is new in relation to current gaming events. So I'm hoping that mag doesn't suffer a similar fate, but only time will tell I guess?

Yeah, since having to deal with Future much more since they bought out Imagine, it has not been a fun ride at all. Like others have said, getting any new mags that cover current gaming is often a waste. As by the time the issue has arrived, the information is already at least 30 days old. Retro Gamer, the only mag I get from Future, is mostly retro, so most of the content is new in relation to current gaming events. So I'm hoping that mag doesn't suffer a similar fate, but only time will tell I guess?
Yeah, and with a FIFTEEN dollar cover price, I never pick it up at Barnes and Noble, even with membership/coupons.

I did pick one up yesterday for 5 bucks at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo, so at least that was something.

bread's done
Back