* * * * * 1 votes

PSN Flash Sale ends 10/15 @ 11 AM ET/8 AM PT

#1 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   69459 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:53 PM

Lots of recent titles on sale. No list since I'm about to head out.

18da72cb-971e-4daa-998a-bb234550ba6f.png

Have a good weekend.

#2 DannyEndurance  

DannyEndurance

Posted 12 October 2018 - 03:59 PM

This sale is complete...
Bull-760x400.jpg

#3 plasmabeam   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   499 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

plasmabeam

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:16 PM

Tempted to grab Guacamelee 2 and Dead Cells (I'm a big Metroidvania guy) but I feel like $10 is the sweet spot for both.

#4 ackbar7   Flamble CAGiversary!   3252 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:21 PM

A flash sale where only one game is (barely) under $10 (and it is a $13 game) is no flash sale at all.

#5 pun123   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3285 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:28 PM

Looking at Conan Exiles for $27, been tempted to pick this up.

#6 Renzler   Dude CAGiversary!   1867 Posts   Joined 1.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:37 PM

$25 persona 5 is great if you like JRPG.

#7 cleaver   You have 0 friends CAGiversary!   3640 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:40 PM

I’ll either get Shenmue 1&2 or nothing

#8 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4337 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:47 PM

Nothing for me, but some solid deals.

#9 miyamotorola   I have mild to moderate eczema CAGiversary!   3775 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

miyamotorola

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:49 PM

It's like the flash sale for people who don't realize next month is November.

#10 mrclutch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4364 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:05 PM

$25 persona 5 is great if you like JRPG.

That’s what I was thinking. Never really played a jrpg. Was thinking of making this my first. Does anyone think it’s a bad choice for a jrpg noob?

#11 dontBlink86  

dontBlink86

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:10 PM

That’s what I was thinking. Never really played a jrpg. Was thinking of making this my first. Does anyone think it’s a bad choice for a jrpg noob?

Play on an easier difficulty and you'll be fine as far as getting through the gameplay without having to worry about understanding all the nitty gritty stuff involved with stats, skills, combat.  The story is fantastic and the style in the game is unparalleled.

#12 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5428 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:18 PM

I don't understand how to search for PS3 and Vita/PSP titles in the flash sale. Clicking on the flash sale in the PSN store only displays PS4 games, but the front page of CAG shows that Persona 5 for PS3 is also on sale for $14.99. How would you find that without manually searching for the game?

#13 Bizzquik   TheBizz CAGiversary!   2179 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:21 PM

I enjoyed Persona 5 for the first ten hours, then I wondered if I was playing it "the wrong way" - i.e. not leveling up my character & my influence with companions as efficiently as I should - then I got in too deep with min/maxing everything to make up ground, and then stopped enjoying myself.

My advice?  Its a fun game for a JRPG noob; that's what I am.  It genuinely tries to meet the player halfway, and has a fun high school social dynamic that is recognizable to the western player but is still distinctly, interestingly Japanese.  I'd say watch some videos to decide for yourself, but don't hesitate to decide to buy.  If you do decide to take the plunge, read an article or two titled "things I wish I knew before I started playing Persona 5" so that you get some initial pointers - then utterly disconnect yourself from researching this game further online and just enjoy its twists and turns.  You're not supposed to reach max level.  You're not supposed to be amazing at the game at all; it doesn't expect you to be.  You'll pick it up as you go along.  I failed to understand that - and I regret it deeply.

#14 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5428 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:32 PM

OK, I figured it out. To save everyone time, on PS3, Persona 5 is $14.99. On Vita, Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X is on sale for $19.79. That should be it for non-PS4 games.

#15 camoor   Jams on foot fires CAGiversary!   15233 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:49 PM

Yes. I've played Persona 4 and similar games and I find them to be very frustrating. You have to slog through what the game throws at you whether its boring HS drama, fetch quests, or floors and floors of dungeons and if you arent leveled up properly then gods help you.

I recommend playing something like Ni No Kuni first, its charming, easy-to-understand, and fun. After the intro its pretty open world. Its also too long but I dont think you need to finish it to enjoy it.

#16 Lord Chabelo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1145 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Lord Chabelo

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:57 PM

Might bite on Persona, will this title hit the $20 price point within the next year?

#17 Barry Burton   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1752 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Barry Burton

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:02 PM

Vampyr was about $42 two or three weeks ago and now it's 35, sucks for people that bought it then I know I hate it when they do that

i'm considering Donut County

Shenmue too but that game has nostalgia regret written all over it

#18 Timbobway  

Timbobway

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:17 PM

Vampyr was about $42 two or three weeks ago and now it's 35, sucks for people that bought it then I know I hate it when they do that

i'm considering Donut County

Shenmue too but that game has nostalgia regret written all over it

I’ll either get Shenmue 1&2 or nothing

Don't buy Shenmue it is a glitchy mess with new glitches that never existed before.  Even the Japanese localization head, Eigo Kasahara who worked on the game years ago, is very upset about it.

As far as the rest of the sale you can but a lot of these for cheaper or the same price physically.  Vampyr has been under $35 for the last two months on amazon.

#19 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   3023 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:38 PM

Persona 3 was my first dip into the JRPG pool. I liked the time management/dating sim portion of the game and set the combat portion of the game to easy. It was not hard at all advancing through the game. Persona 5 is even more lenient with it's "safety" difficulty. The story doesnt change any so I think you'd be fine. I'd daresay that the 'battling' is the weakest part of the games. Once you get a rythem with the gameplay, you'll rarely lose because of tactics (more on this later).

CAVEATS

1) The game is long.

2) There is *a lot* of reading.

3) There are long breaks between the dungeon crawling to be filled with the sim stuff (though, IMO, sim stuff is the good stuff).

4) Re the "more on this later", though as a gamer, you'll employ superior tactics, cheap deaths can happen. There are insta-kill spells that work on party members and you can revive them. However, if they hit the MC - game over screen.  Not the biggest hugest deal if you make frequent use of the save spots (and no deal at all if you play on "safety'), but something to keep in mind.

I've loved, beaten, and replayed 3, 4, and 5. Again, before 3, I had zero JRPG experience, so I'd recommend it to a first timer. 

#20 MsterPanDa  

MsterPanDa

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:49 PM

Don't buy Shenmue it is a glitchy mess with new glitches that never existed before.  Even the Japanese localization head, Eigo Kasahara who worked on the game years ago, is very upset about it.

As far as the rest of the sale you can but a lot of these for cheaper or the same price physically.  Vampyr has been under $35 for the last two months on amazon.

I heard a lot of people had glitches from Shenmue 1&2. I will probably grab the Japanese version as it comes in a nice box and soundtrack cd. Games being released nowadays always have glitches so I rarely buy any games on release date. Japan Version will be an exception but I probably won't play it until 6 months after or even longer to experience it without problems. I hope Japanese Version has English text with Japanese dub though.

#21 MrRidickulous   Deal skeptic! CAGiversary!   1901 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

MrRidickulous

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:12 PM

It’s almost Black Friday my dudes. Hang in there.

#22 humbug43  

humbug43

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:31 PM

For me anyway sales have been crappy. I haven't bought anything in at least 6 weeks or so. Tho my back log is giant like most people.

I'll have to trade some bestbuy rewards into psn credit.

#23 Starcrest   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   770 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Starcrest

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:47 PM

I would also recommend against Persona for your first experience. Go get the new dragon quest, or one of the older FInal Fantasy games.

We could probably make a more tailored suggestion if you provide more info as to what you like in a game. Setting wise, fantasy, western, scifi, whatever. Lots of story that you follow on a rail, or wide open go wherever, minimal stories. Do you want to learn how to get into the combat system and max your bonuses, or do you just want to “attack” and move on? Stuff like that.

#24 MrRidickulous   Deal skeptic! CAGiversary!   1901 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

MrRidickulous

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:01 PM

Yeah Persona 5 is great but also very deep. Not many games still boast a 100+ hour quick play through. I’d recommend final fantasy double pack of X and X-2 to get your feet wet.

#25 Richard B. Riddick  

Richard B. Riddick

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:07 PM

Shadow of the tomb raider croft Edition was $69.99 on Amazon 

#26 mrclutch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4364 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:02 PM

I would also recommend against Persona for your first experience. Go get the new dragon quest, or one of the older FInal Fantasy games.

We could probably make a more tailored suggestion if you provide more info as to what you like in a game. Setting wise, fantasy, western, scifi, whatever. Lots of story that you follow on a rail, or wide open go wherever, minimal stories. Do you want to learn how to get into the combat system and max your bonuses, or do you just want to “attack” and move on? Stuff like that.

thanks for all the replies. I’m more of a just a little bit of story, heavy on action with minimal puzzles. I don’t mind exploring but I hate not knowing where to go. I guess I like my hand held for lack of a better way of putting it.
Sounds like Ni No might be the right start?

#27 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1970 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:24 PM

Tempted to grab Guacamelee 2 and Dead Cells (I'm a big Metroidvania guy) but I feel like $10 is the sweet spot for both.

Dead Cells would be preferable.  Guacamelee 2 is really good, but it is very similar to the first one and shorter length.  You basically have to earn the same powers you had before plus a few more (mostly for the chicken side).  Some new types of puzzles, but it is more of a 1.5 than a 2.  If you have played through Guacamelee you will blow through it even faster, the fighting is practically the same only you mix in some chicken with it.  I 100%'d the game in about 10 hours.

Dead Cell's random nature and steeper difficulty has much more longevity, particularly if you stick with it past the initial difficulty wall of roguelikes.  Best advice for this game is "Ignore the timed doors, they are rarely worth more than the items you skip by rushing".

#28 Cage017   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4936 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:27 PM

And here I was about to grab it.  Thanks for the warning.

#29 Kerig   PSForsaken no longer! CAGiversary!   6223 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:32 PM

The correct choice would be Hollow Knight. $14.99 is a good deal for it.

#30 lionheart059   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   563 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

lionheart059

Posted 12 October 2018 - 11:49 PM

For me anyway sales have been crappy. I haven't bought anything in at least 6 weeks or so. Tho my back log is giant like most people.

I'll have to trade some bestbuy rewards into psn credit.

Most of the recent flash sales have disappointed me, but probably 2/3 of my Vita library has come from past flash sales.  A handful of PS4 games, too, like Rogue Legacy and Guilty Gear Xrd.