* * * * * 1 votes

PSN Flash Sale ends 10/15 @ 11 AM ET/8 AM PT

#31 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70095 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:39 AM

Tempted to grab Guacamelee 2 and Dead Cells (I'm a big Metroidvania guy) but I feel like $10 is the sweet spot for both.

Dead Cells isn't really a Metroid-like. It's linear with some branching paths to get to other areas.

Also, if you haven't played Donut County, that's a great price to jump in for a game with a lot of funny writing in it.

#32 Bing147   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1181 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 02:28 AM

I'm in for Donut Country and Yakuza Kiwami 2. I can wait on the rest

#33 sp0rklez  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 03:00 AM

Since I missed the last flash sale where MLB The Show 18 was $20 I guess I'll take the $5 hit and buy it now. I'm probably going to play it now, alongside my replay/platinum run of Witcher 3, so it's not like it's a huge deal if it goes a few bucks cheaper again in the next month.

I want Far Cry 5 as well, but I don't know if that's the price I want to pay for it right now. I even had a friend tell me the other day "I almost want to spoil it for you so you don't spend a lot of money on it" so I'm a bit hesitant.

#34 gibbyva   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   325 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:07 AM

More like PSN Trash Sale. These things get worse everytime

#35 BadWaluigi=Luigi  

BadWaluigi=Luigi

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:26 PM

LOL at this. You know it's bad when the normal weekly sale is miles better.

I remember when PSN flash sales offered prices so cheap, your were crazy not to buy. These days, they are just the same prices over and over again. Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 has already been $15 on PSN countless times, for example.

The ps4 has been out long enough for them to start offering older games for a few bucks.

#36 BadWaluigi=Luigi  

BadWaluigi=Luigi

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:29 PM

The correct choice would be Hollow Knight. $14.99 is a good deal for it.

Considering I got the Switch version for $10 of all versions, I very much disagree.

#37 Kerig   PSForsaken no longer! CAGiversary!   6245 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 12:51 PM

Considering I got the Switch version for $10 of all versions, I very much disagree.

$14.99 is MSRP for Hollow Knight PS4. My whimsical point was that it's a fantastic price for a metroidvania game worth at the very least $30.

I'll leave a caveat crumb about Donut County again: While very nice, it's veeeery short and doesn't scratch the Katamari itch I've had for years now.

The game is over just when you think it's going to stop holding your hand and become a real game with some puzzly and harder elements and longer levels. It felt almost like an extended demo.

#38 Althax   Longtime nobody CAGiversary!   1010 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 03:12 PM

Anyone play super dungeon tactics? That looks interesting...

#39 RiPPn  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 03:40 PM

I look at it less like a flash sale and more like a chance to get these games at their preorder discount in case you missed preordering.  Also it seems Sony has been doing 2 flash sales or more a month the last couple months with one being more a discounts sale like this one and then a regular flash sale.  We'll see if that holds true again.  But maybe they should change these smaller discount flash sales name to something like "weekend sale" if they plan to continue this trend.  And keep "flash sale" for the big discount sale of the month.

#40 MikeIsGood   CAG'n Since 04 CAGiversary!   204 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

MikeIsGood

Posted 13 October 2018 - 03:49 PM

That’s what I was thinking. Never really played a jrpg. Was thinking of making this my first. Does anyone think it’s a bad choice for a jrpg noob?

P5 is one of my personal GOATs, but I am hesitant to recommend it to a first timer. I am a near-exclusive RPG player (including action-RPGs, "open world", etc.), and I have plenty experience with JRPGs also, but this was my first Persona. Amazing as it is, it is a BEAST. I played for 170 hours on my first playthrough and missed a lot - which, as a completionist, made me die a little inside. It's definitely not traditional, as there is a lot of life sim/dating sim stuff going on and you can go for several hours between battles, but it is all so fun. I got incredibly invested in the characters, their stories, and enjoyed the sim aspects just as much as the combat. The OST is also incredible. But for someone new to JRPGs, the thought of a 100+ hour adventure bare minimum to introduce you to the genre doesn't strike me as the right choice.

That said, there's nothing else to make it a bad choice for beginners. If you can commit to that much time and it doesn't intimidate you, then dive in. And as the game will tell you, take your time.

#41 BIGTom-  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 04:01 PM

P5 is one of my personal GOATs, but I am hesitant to recommend it to a first timer. I am a near-exclusive RPG player (including action-RPGs, "open world", etc.), and I have plenty experience with JRPGs also, but this was my first Persona. Amazing as it is, it is a BEAST. I played for 170 hours on my first playthrough and missed a lot - which, as a completionist, made me die a little inside. It's definitely not traditional, as there is a lot of life sim/dating sim stuff going on and you can go for several hours between battles, but it is all so fun. I got incredibly invested in the characters, their stories, and enjoyed the sim aspects just as much as the combat. The OST is also incredible. But for someone new to JRPGs, the thought of a 100+ hour adventure bare minimum to introduce you to the genre doesn't strike me as the right choice.

That said, there's nothing else to make it a bad choice for beginners. If you can commit to that much time and it doesn't intimidate you, then dive in. And as the game will tell you, take your time.

I am not a JRPG beginner, but I just started playing P5 recently and my first game of the series.  The combat is fun and I love the tactical mechanics.  I also find the voice acting to be quite good, but dialog lacks at times.  The dungeons are simple enough even on normal difficulty.  But while the game frequently suggests actions that can help you decide how to spend your free time, I don't think I could make it through this game without a guide for your free time.  It's just me though.

#42 Althax   Longtime nobody CAGiversary!   1010 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:33 PM

Anyone play slime rancher? I can’t tell if it will be cute and fun or just cute and annoyingly tedious...

#43 Z-Saber   moon2S CAGiversary!   6698 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:37 PM

Bit of both, really

#44 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   70095 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:14 PM

Anyone play slime rancher? I can’t tell if it will be cute and fun or just cute and annoyingly tedious...

It's a very good crafting/farming game, so it's kind of tedious by its nature.

#45 Electroplasm   Destroy Erase Improve CAGiversary!   1718 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Electroplasm

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:06 AM

someone needs to tell sega to put yakuza 5 on sale. $30 reg price is ridiculous enough, but the fact that it never goes on sale at a reasonable price is nuts.

(yes i know it was  a ps+ game a long time ago but i am no longer ps+)

#46 RiPPn  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:54 AM

someone needs to tell sega to put yakuza 5 on sale. $30 reg price is ridiculous enough, but the fact that it never goes on sale at a reasonable price is nuts.

(yes i know it was  a ps+ game a long time ago but i am no longer ps+)

3,4 and 5 are supposed to be getting ported to PS4 and hopefully 3 isn't cut up like the original release.  Worth keeping in mind.

#47 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   3080 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:19 PM

I am not a JRPG beginner, but I just started playing P5 recently and my first game of the series.  The combat is fun and I love the tactical mechanics.  I also find the voice acting to be quite good, but dialog lacks at times.  The dungeons are simple enough even on normal difficulty.  But while the game frequently suggests actions that can help you decide how to spend your free time, I don't think I could make it through this game without a guide for your free time.  It's just me though.

Genuine inquiry, what does "make it through" mean to you? It is fairly easy to go through the game, complete all the combat and see credits without a guide. You could really just spend time with whomever you liked most, play the minigames you like most and still get the gist of the story. There is no particular *need* for certain stats, items, personas. 

Now, it's probably true that, for most people, you'd need to follow a guide to progress through *all* the confidants on a new game. I'm somewhat of a Persona vet and I was *one-day-short* of maxing all the confidants just using my intuition. But really, I dont think maxing all the confidants is *necessary* for the game. The main plot is mostly independent of the confidants. The rest of the 'sim' stuff I think is just world building. Yeah, there are some one-off scenes that you'd miss, but again, not needed.

Besides, and side-stories you miss can be found on youtube. There isnt much interaction on those so viewing isnt much different *shrugs*.

#48 Twisted Metal  

Twisted Metal

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:17 PM

If you receive a message with a question mark in a box, don't open it. It will crash your PS4.

https://kotaku.com/p...brea-1829733128

#49 RiPPn  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:29 PM

If you receive a message with a question mark in a box, don't open it. It will crash your PS4.

https://kotaku.com/p...brea-1829733128

The work around is to use the PSN Messenger app to do all communications until this is patched.

#50 MrRidickulous   Deal skeptic! CAGiversary!   2008 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

MrRidickulous

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:19 PM

The workaround is to have no friends...

#51 itzd4n   Dank Lean CAGiversary!   1314 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:30 PM

Dead Cells would be preferable. Guacamelee 2 is really good, but it is very similar to the first one and shorter length. You basically have to earn the same powers you had before plus a few more (mostly for the chicken side). Some new types of puzzles, but it is more of a 1.5 than a 2. If you have played through Guacamelee you will blow through it even faster, the fighting is practically the same only you mix in some chicken with it. I 100%'d the game in about 10 hours.

Dead Cell's random nature and steeper difficulty has much more longevity, particularly if you stick with it past the initial difficulty wall of roguelikes. Best advice for this game is "Ignore the timed doors, they are rarely worth more than the items you skip by rushing".

Does it have a similar trophy related to mastering the combo in a room? That was probably the most annoying thing I had to do in that game for the plat.

#52 ChiefBrody1027   40th Anniversary CAG CAGiversary!   1326 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

ChiefBrody1027

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:36 PM

Divinity 2 at 45 ia nice. Grabbed that.

#53 defpally   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2077 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

defpally

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:58 PM

Does it have a similar trophy related to mastering the combo in a room? That was probably the most annoying thing I had to do in that game for the plat.

Not sure on the trophy (don't recall getting one when finishing it, but it may have been there), but there is a "training" area (run by the fire head boss from the last game this time) where you have to perform some pretty insane combos to complete it.  It didn't seem quite as hard this time around, although experience is likely a factor in that.

The chicken key areas and the area they unlock are really tough and make the Thule Tree from the first game look like child's play.  I'd say that is probably the toughest part of the game.