* * * * - 18 votes

Black Friday 2018 - The Big Thread | See You Next Year!

#1321 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   12974 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:04 AM

Remember when Gamestop was the longest hold out of not opening until actual Black Friday and not Thanksgiving day itself? Now they're opening at 3 friggin PM Thanksgiving.

I predict in 3 to 5 years time most stores will run normal Sunday hours on Thanksgiving  - like 11am to 6 or 7pm.  Sadly this is the way we are headed.

I wish shit would just go back to being closed on Thanksgiving (with online only sales) then open like midnight or 1am on Black Friday. 

#1322 Ltrain8765   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   326 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Ltrain8765

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:11 AM

Not a fan of this opening up on Thanksgiving, therefor forcing employees to work on a day that they should be spending with their families.

so tired of this response--  really saying you don't want to have to leave your family to buy material possessions on thanksgiving.  I use to work retail and loved working on holidays.  you get 1 and half to double time pay.  thanksgiving can be any day--  have it on Saturday   

#1323 ck0  

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:14 AM

Good thing I didn't bite on that Xbox 360 on PRO Day for $40 -- now it's free after rebate on BF

Anyone played Astro Bot have impressions?  I'm aware of all the glowing reviews, but no way I was gonna buy it at $40 regardless.  Lack of time and all, but since it's $20 that has my interest now.  Just wondering if it will go lower in the future, since I won't be playing it immediately.  It's going straight to the backlog.

Wasn't planning on getting AC: Odyssey either, but that $27 is tempting

#1324 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:18 AM

Yeah I’ve hated the Black Thursday sales for years. Have great memories of staying up until 5-7am to get deals at Best Buy, GS, etc from 2011-2015 but it changed sadly. Miss those times

Ha, no thanks. I think exactly the opposite: easy to get the deals online and at decent hours now. Used to have to mostly walk into stores at ungodly hours to snag a bargain.

#1325 boogie4114   Enthusiastic Gamer!! CAGiversary!   2417 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:21 AM

Will the Berry Blue controller be on sale tomorrow at Walmart because I would try to pricematch at Bestbuy for the points.

#1326 Gore   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   573 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:23 AM

Clarification, you will need to make purchase within Samsung Pay app with the registered card, there's a button "Earn Cash Back at _" at the bottom of the offer page that will redirect to the merchant site. Typically, credit won't be finalized until after the return period is over.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I think I have everything setup: registered, clicked 5% ebay. I'm at check now with paypal and the newly added card. I didn't have to add a card during the setup for the app. I hope that's not a problem?

#1327 FlawlesslyFatal   $15 or less CAGiversary!   1701 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

FlawlesslyFatal

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:26 AM

I think I have everything setup: registered, clicked 5% ebay. I'm at check now with paypal and the newly added card. I didn't have to add a card during the setup for the app. I hope that's not a problem?

save a card on the App and use it to make purchase after it redirect you

#1328 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6376 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:56 AM

so tired of this response--  really saying you don't want to have to leave your family to buy material possessions on thanksgiving.  I use to work retail and loved working on holidays.  you get 1 and half to double time pay.  thanksgiving can be any day--  have it on Saturday   

Agree.  I also used to love working on holidays and I remember co-workers fighting over getting the shifts so they could have a different day off and get the added pay and a free meal on the actual holiday.  Frankly, my family bonds more shopping than sitting around a table eating unhealthy amounts of food.  I'm tired of people trying to impose their idea of how I should spend my holidays with my family just because they don't like it.  

#1329 element676   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   259 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

element676

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:02 AM

Quit your job in retail if you don't want to work during the Holidays. Problem solved.

I don’t work in retail.

#1330 StryderOmega  

StryderOmega

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:05 AM

I celebrate Thanksgiving with my family on Saturday. It just works better for everyone involved.

#1331 element676   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   259 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

element676

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:07 AM

so tired of this response-- really saying you don't want to have to leave your family to buy material possessions on thanksgiving. I use to work retail and loved working on holidays. you get 1 and half to double time pay. thanksgiving can be any day-- have it on Saturday

Wrong. I don’t go out shopping on Thanksgiving or BF. I do my shopping online. The only reason I said what I did is because I am thinking about others having to work on a day that stores use to close on. Great you use to love working that day, but I am sure there are many, who do not.

#1332 TheLegendofTyler   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3197 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

TheLegendofTyler

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:13 AM

Wrong. I don’t go out shopping on Thanksgiving or BF. I do my shopping online. The only reason I said what I did is because I am thinking about others having to work on a day that stores use to close on. Great you use to love working that day, but I am sure there are many, who do not.

I'm guessing you aren't considering warehouse workers that have to work to fulfill your orders. It sucks for a lot of people and it's not going to change unless people stop shopping, which won't happen. So as others have said, if you don't want to work the holidays, don't work in those industries. I worked several black Fridays back when I was in college and it sucked. You have to work double shifts or split shifts with little to no sleep, but I don't work retail anymore.

#1333 Nephilim_BC  

Nephilim_BC

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:19 AM

365 days in a year except leap year. Plenty of family time. Not plenty of $200 ps4s doe

#1334 Gore   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   573 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:20 AM

save a card on the App and use it to make purchase after it redirect you

Card saved. Confirmed and payed through app. I'll check later for the transaction to show on the app.  Thank you.

#1335 Hanzee  

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:32 AM

I'm mainly a PC gamer, but I can't wait 2 or 3 years if or when Rockstar decides to release this masterpiece of a game on PC. Also there's a lot of good PS titles to justify the purchase. I mainly play on a 1080p Sony TV that's a bit old but pretty good for gaming (KDL-60W630B).

I really wanted to get the very best version of the console since this will more than probably be it's last iteration, so the Pro was my wish. But if I'll mainly be playing on 1080p, would it justify buying the Pro? I heard even if playing on 1080p the Pro gives better performance FPS wise and gives you slightly better graphics.

Is there anyone else playing with a 1080p TV using the Pro? What do you guys recommend? I don't plan on buying a 4K TV til probably a year or more. $200 for the PS4 with Spider-Man sounds like too good a deal compared to $400 for the PS4 Pro with RDR2, even if RDR2 is the one I want to play the most.

I just find it ridiculous my friend bought the Pro on 2016's Black Friday for $340 and I may have to pay full price cuz Sony's being cheap :(  

I really really wanted to get a Pro, but $400 seems like too much considering I can get the regular for $200. Do you know if the same frame rate issues in towns from RDR2 happen on both consoles, or is the Pro better at handling them?

#1336 Paradox6  

Paradox6

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:39 AM

I'm guessing you aren't considering warehouse workers that have to work to fulfill your orders. It sucks for a lot of people and it's not going to change unless people stop shopping, which won't happen. So as others have said, if you don't want to work the holidays, don't work in those industries. I worked several black Fridays back when I was in college and it sucked. You have to work double shifts or split shifts with little to no sleep, but I don't work retail anymore.

At least for retail stores the warehouses and deliveries are closed on Thanksgiving. Only the stores are open for limited hours. Grocery stores have been open till at least noon for decades on thanksgiving. Gas stations are open and staffed all day. 90+% of the people working that day volunteer to do so. Not everyone has family obligations that day or even have family to spend time with.

#1337 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:52 AM

The one thing I keep thinking on all this complaining about people having to work on holidays is there sure are a lot of snowflakes in this world. 🤔

#1338 987654321.   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   290 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:59 AM

#1339 bonesawisready   YES! YES! YES! CAGiversary!   1756 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

bonesawisready

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:15 AM

I'm mainly a PC gamer, but I can't wait 2 or 3 years if or when Rockstar decides to release this masterpiece of a game on PC. Also there's a lot of good PS titles to justify the purchase. I mainly play on a 1080p Sony TV that's a bit old but pretty good for gaming (KDL-60W630B).

I really wanted to get the very best version of the console since this will more than probably be it's last iteration, so the Pro was my wish. But if I'll mainly be playing on 1080p, would it justify buying the Pro? I heard even if playing on 1080p the Pro gives better performance FPS wise and gives you slightly better graphics.

Is there anyone else playing with a 1080p TV using the Pro? What do you guys recommend? I don't plan on buying a 4K TV til probably a year or more. $200 for the PS4 with Spider-Man sounds like too good a deal compared to $400 for the PS4 Pro with RDR2, even if RDR2 is the one I want to play the most.

I just find it ridiculous my friend bought the Pro on 2016's Black Friday for $340 and I may have to pay full price cuz Sony's being cheap :(

I really really wanted to get a Pro, but $400 seems like too much considering I can get the regular for $200. Do you know if the same frame rate issues in towns from RDR2 happen on both consoles, or is the Pro better at handling them?

Don’t even worry about the frame rate. Those issues are far over blown. It doesn’t even impact gameplay. I had a few slow downs in the major city in the game but that’s it. It plays fine on both ps4s. Just play it and enjoy

#1340 Hanzee  

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:17 AM

Don’t even worry about the frame rate. Those issues are far over blown. It doesn’t even impact gameplay. I had a few slow downs in the major city in the game but that’s it. It plays fine on both ps4s. Just play it and enjoy

Thanks a lot, I hope I can snag a $200 bundle on Thursday or Friday then.

#1341 Silver Phoenix   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   223 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Silver Phoenix

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:27 AM

Thanks a lot, I hope I can snag a $200 bundle on Thursday or Friday then.

This is Sony's deal, the bundle will be available all through Christmas and if the sale ends a day after Black Friday it will come back during Cyber week and possibly a week or two before Christmas. I have a feeling this is going to be a multi-million system push for Sony this year possibly more than past years. A lot of people who previously owned a PS4 are trading it in. I'm going to miss that LED light on my second revision model.

As for the Pro, I was really wanting one myself but I think (I hope) that Sony is integrating PS4 Pro boosting into the PS5 hardware for backward compatibility. They don't want to reveal something like that and miss out on Pro system sales. Either way it is disappointing not to see an enticing Pro deal this year.

#1342 aircobra   The Wind CAGiversary!   3156 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2018 - 04:43 AM

Sony is integrating PS4 Pro boosting into the PS5 hardware for backward compatibility.

This isn't the first time I have heard this and I find it odd each time. There is no such thing. It would literally be the PS5 playing BC titles better than past systems by sheer brute force (just like the X1X does). I'd definitely be shocked if Sony implements any sort of 'enhancement' patches for previous gen games. They'd rather release re-mastered versions of their games. I'm sure we'll see God of War and Spider-Man remasters within the first year of the PS5's release.

#1343 crzyboy88   This is a witty title CAGiversary!   1442 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:00 AM

I bought the Spiderman PS4 today and was considering buying an Xbox one S bundle that would come with the $50 gift card. What are the chances of me being able to retroactively apply the gift card to the PS4?

#1344 ec91762  

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:09 AM

I bought the Spiderman PS4 today and was considering buying an Xbox one S bundle that would come with the $50 gift card. What are the chances of me being able to retroactively apply the gift card to the PS4?

My guess would be 0... but again just my guess

#1345 ec91762  

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:11 AM

I'm sorry I just reread your post... so you're wanting to buy an X1 and then return/rebuy your PS4 and use the $50 gift card to offset the cost of said PS4?

#1346 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2751 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:33 AM

This isn't the first time I have heard this and I find it odd each time. There is no such thing. It would literally be the PS5 playing BC titles better than past systems by sheer brute force (just like the X1X does). I'd definitely be shocked if Sony implements any sort of 'enhancement' patches for previous gen games. They'd rather release re-mastered versions of their games. I'm sure we'll see God of War and Spider-Man remasters within the first year of the PS5's release.

Forget PS5. Good chance Sony will re-release Spider-Man next year near the movie with a GOTY/complete edition. Makes too much sense and since all DLC will be done, why not?

#1347 bsc11  

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:49 AM

Does anyone know how easy it is to get the Mail in Rebate for the XBOX 360 deal on GameStop? Did anyone do this last year? How long did it take to get your mail in rebate?

Kinda interested in getting a FREE 360 console if it doesnt take too long to get the money back.

I'm interested too so I'd also like to know if anyone else has more info.

For me, I ordered 2 almost right when bf started. I think it started at midnight or 1am est. I held onto the x360s for almost the entire return period. I ended up returning both. Never did receive any word on the rebate.

You didn't try to get the rebate?

#1348 romeogbs19   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2751 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

romeogbs19

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:59 AM

I'm interested too so I'd also like to know if anyone else has more info.

You didn't try to get the rebate?

Even as one who is mildly interested in having a back-up 360 (since MS' BC list will assuredly not include a lot of lesser known games), I would never bother with Gamestop's offer. Your time/effort/money will be better spent on securing a 360 off ebay.

#1349 FlamedLiquid   The Kersed Sowl CAGiversary!   8704 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

FlamedLiquid

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:07 AM

were none of the blurays or tv show dvd sets available for early black friday at best buy? i had 9 blurays and tv show sets in my cart and one game since yesterday waiting for the prices to drop and just now the game went down to its black friday price but none off the blurays or tv show sets dropped.

#1350 kanekiken  

Posted 19 November 2018 - 06:08 AM

were none of the blurays or tv show dvd sets available for early black friday at best buy? i had 9 blurays and tv show sets in my cart and one game since yesterday waiting for the prices to drop and just now the game went down to its black friday price but none off the blurays or tv show sets dropped.

Rarely do they put the Blu-rays on sale before BF. If they do, it's for Elite members.