* * * * - 1 votes

Meijer Sales/Clearance Thread

Meijer Sale Clearance

#301 TimTucker   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   797 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

TimTucker

Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:16 PM

In Meijer's case, I think it's more that they just aren't selling gaming products in general as much. Outside of a couple of clearance purchases, I haven't seriously considered buying a newer game, accessory or even system at Meijer since I was in high school. My first thought is Best Buy, followed by Amazon, because of either rewards points or gift cards.

It feels a little reminiscent of what we saw with Sears / Kmart and games a few years back.

#302 Mattiful-Joe   Henshin A Go-Go Baby! CAGiversary!   2989 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Mattiful-Joe

Posted 14 October 2020 - 02:44 PM

In Meijer's case, I think it's more that they just aren't selling gaming products in general as much. Outside of a couple of clearance purchases, I haven't seriously considered buying a newer game, accessory or even system at Meijer since I was in high school. My first thought is Best Buy, followed by Amazon, because of either rewards points or gift cards.

Sure, fair enough.  But the fact that another retail option for buying physical media (whether games or movies) has decided to significantly scale back is a result of continued contraction in consumer demand.  The fact is even 5 years ago, stores like Sears and Meijer had a wide variety of offerings of games/movies because that market gave them sufficient sales (i.e. the pie was large enough).  Now, with digital firmly in place and on the rise, that pie is much, much smaller -- and getting even smaller by the day.   It makes sense then that the number of stores willing to give these items shelf space is fast dwindling.  At this point, the last stores offering any variety are Walmarts.  Thankfully, for now, we at least have Internet stores that are willing to use warehouse space to help sell titles from big, medium, and small publishers.  

The problem, of course, is that the physical media market looks highly unlikely to be able to sustain many medium/small publishers for the long-term.  And with big publishers increasingly losing interest, it seems all but inevitable that physical releases are going to become more and more limited in terms of availability and variety. 

Again, none of this is unexpected.  As I've said here a few times, I'm done with video games when physical media looks like it's largely an afterthought.