CAGcast #568: Hot Garbage

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks Diablo fiasco, Red Dead Redemption, new releases, and so much more!

Download (1 hr 7 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS  - YouTube

This episode is sponsored by:

Harrys!!
Go to Harrys.com/cag to claim your shave-set trial
offer!

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Dynoro & Gigi D’Agostino - In My Mind (EMDI x KVMO Remix)
Outro - CAGcast 567
RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog

Facebook
Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

Check out the CAGcast on YouTube for clips, complete episodes, and more!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wombat makes a very funny 1/2 speed drunk. I was cracking up at the outro.

I appreciated the arcade cabinet review, I have been looking at them thinking about getting one for my kids. The size might actually be good for them.

Wombat's movie recommendations this episode are on point. UHF is just as funny as ever, and if Cheapy ever has a chance to see Weird Al in concert it's a blast. Nearly 30 years after first listening to him as a kid, I've seen him live twice over the past few years. He puts on one heckuva show. Walk Hard is very funny, too... in a non-UHF kinda way.

While I'm here on the Wombat train (having jumped onto it from my horse), I ran into the same annoying side quest in Red Dead with the sick guy and the empty doctor's office. I manually save and was able to roll back, but it was annoying. Overall, though, the game has sucked me in. It would be great if huge games with complex systems worked flawlessly, but we aren't there yet. I think the game deserves most of its praise, but I also understand the complaints. 

Shipwreck was so quiet this week! I think once he started reading about alligators and crocodiles, his mind was in that world for the rest of the show  :p

Lol, I wasn't trolling, Wombat echoed my exact thoughts on a lot of things last episode. 

On the topic of Diablo Immortal, I think you guys didn't quite get the reason for the outrage, it wasn't as much the fact that people were offended at the idea of a mobile game (which honestly is probably going to be OK and definitely successful) but it was the fact that Blizzard was so disconnected from its fanbase and its audience that they thought Blizcon, a convention attended by HARDCORE PC-gaming fans in majority, a con people pay money and flight tickets and hotels to attend to, was the adequate venue to sell them on a mobile game nobody attending wanted.

Keep in mind Diablo fans have had nothing in the way of a major content update in the past 4.5 years. Keep in mind that its not even Blizzard developing the game, but Netease, a chinese mobile developer known for creating mobile MMOARPGS laden with IAPs. Keep in mind that this is Blizzard we are talking about, a company who would axe games like Starcraft Ghost and Titan after 4 years of development.. and now are outsourcing the Diablo franchise to a chinese developer.

Had they presented this at some place like Pax East, as a side-thing from Blizzard, people would have probably been excited.. but to a audience of hardcore fans like those attending Blizcon, it really shows that Blizzard is disconnected from what the community has been asking for years. That is the reason of the anger.

I also think its a shitty thing to make a dev feel bad in his presentation.. but given the circumstances, making a "joke" like asking if Diablo Immortal is an off-season April Fools joke is relatively harmless, no personal insults were thrown and it perfectly embodied the disappointment of the Diablo community. Diablo Immortal will be hugely popular and successful, I have no doubt at all. But Blizcon was not the place to sell it and expect a positive reaction.

On the topic of Diablo Immortal, I think you guys didn't quite get the reason for the outrage, it wasn't as much the fact that people were offended at the idea of a mobile game (which honestly is probably going to be OK and definitely successful) but it was the fact that Blizzard was so disconnected from its fanbase and its audience that they thought Blizcon, a convention attended by HARDCORE PC-gaming fans in majority, a con people pay money and flight tickets and hotels to attend to, was the adequate venue to sell them on a mobile game nobody attending wanted.

Keep in mind Diablo fans have had nothing in the way of a major content update in the past 4.5 years. Keep in mind that its not even Blizzard developing the game, but Netease, a chinese mobile developer known for creating mobile MMOARPGS laden with IAPs. Keep in mind that this is Blizzard we are talking about, a company who would axe games like Starcraft Ghost and Titan after 4 years of development.. and now are outsourcing the Diablo franchise to a chinese developer.

Had they presented this at some place like Pax East, as a side-thing from Blizzard, people would have probably been excited.. but to a audience of hardcore fans like those attending Blizcon, it really shows that Blizzard is disconnected from what the community has been asking for years. That is the reason of the anger.

I also think its a shitty thing to make a dev feel bad in his presentation.. but given the circumstances, making a "joke" like asking if Diablo Immortal is an off-season April Fools joke is relatively harmless, no personal insults were thrown and it perfectly embodied the disappointment of the Diablo community. Diablo Immortal will be hugely popular and successful, I have no doubt at all. But Blizcon was not the place to sell it and expect a positive reaction.
Wombat I believe said that at the start of the conversation, as I outlined in my post in the CAGBag thread:

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/48727-cagbag-get-your-questions-answered-on-cagcast/page-238#entry14076772

I made that post to get it to them ahead of the discussion so they didn't just dismiss us as being raging lunatics, which some of us definitely are.

Cheapy, glad to hear you and Tai enjoyed Streets of Rage 2! I love that game, probably my favorite retro game. I really like the soundtrack as well, I listen to once a week or so. Check out this live show that the composer did with music from all 3 Streets of Rage games. I would have loved to have been there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnZqaMnJhLA

Last edited by a moderator:
Is "Hot garbage" a joke?  The explanation paints it as though it's a prank, bro!  It's a social experiment!

Anyway, hi, it's me!  The guy who's looking forward to PUBG hitting PS4.  (Speaking of violently unpopular opinions,) I've been over crafting since the day Minecraft went beta, and PUBG's always had my curious interest as a simple game where I might idiot my way up the ranks now and then, without the compounded stipulations of rival games that have long since left it in the dust.

No offense but I find it hard to belive that 20 minutes of out the entire Blizzcon would totally ruin it. Then again, I really don't feel entitled.

I fall squarely into the "Patient Gamer" category, thanks to grown up stuff getting in the way of the 6 hour gaming marathons I had in my younger days. I'll probably get around to buying Red Dead II when the Super Extra Ultimate Mega Game of the Year Special Edition comes out with all the inevitable DLC included for $30 or so. I'm just now getting around to Subnautica, which I think Cheapy was mentioning pretty regularly a year or two ago. That game and Cobra Kai are probably two of my favorite things this year, which makes me wonder what awesome stuff from this year I'll fall in love with two years from now?

Thanks again for another great show- my 15 year old kid loves the YouTube clip of drunk Kermit yelling at Cookie Monster, so as soon as I heard the ending of this weeks show, I knew I had to play it for him. He laughed himself to tears and is now your newest CAG fan.

I ain't afraid of no ghosts.

Tim

I've been listening to the CAGcast for years, and I don't think I've ever commented before. I had to recover my password to post this.

The "drunk" Wombat & Shipwreck bit at the end of the episode made me laugh so hard, I hope that becomes a regular bit. I loved it so much. Love you guys, thanks for the shows and the deals and all that shit, but seriously, please give me more "drunk" clips of the show.

If Wombat is “too emotional “ how can he not cry at movies? He’s an enigma wrapped in a mystery.

Just to punch the dead horse one last time, I really enjoyed the Red Dead criticisms. All of the reviews are were busy giving overly generous reviews that there is no real objectivity. I knew you guys would be willing to discuss the places where the game falls short.

A reoccurring theme or topic I have noticed over the episodes is Beat'em ups. I have heard some name drops like Golden Axe, Altered Beast, Streets of rage and maybe a few others along the way. These few names have a high note in the genre for sure as they are easily recognized and remembered. My question is, if you had to pick one beat'em up game for life which would it be. I grew up with Jimmy and Billy Lee from Double Dragon and Pimple, Zit and Rash from Battletoads just to give you an idea where I land in the spectrum of Beat'em ups. However, my favorite of all time and most hours logged has to be TMNT IV :Turtles in Time. 

bread's done
Back