Is PS4 Pro worth double?

jenetic

CAGiversary!
I'm still on PS3 and want PS4. I had decided to go for the Pro since it's a better machine, I tend to hold onto consoles a long time (obi) and $100 difference isn't that much. But....

Now that BF is upon us, and the PS4 has dropped to $199 and there is NO Pro deal (so far), is it really worth double? I'm really disappointed there doesn't seem to be a Pro deal coming. I get why, but considering what a good deal the slim bundle is and that you can get it even cheaper than $199 with coupons or other promos, the price difference is a little hard to swallow.  I did get an RDR2 Pro bundle and I was able to use a $30 coupon off of it. But I was really looking to get it for closer to $300. I haven't opened it hoping there would be a better holiday deal but nothing yet and it's killing me just sitting there.

I don't have time to game everyday or sometimes not even once a week. It will most often get used as my media center and I really like the interface. I have a 1080p plasma and have no intention of getting 4k tv anytime soon, but the better image quality regardless of 4k is important to me. (I work in visual media.) 

Thoughts? Is 4k, a slightly faster processor and digital audio out really worth double the price?

If you don't have a 4k tv it is not worth it.  Either you want the best quality by getting a Pro and 4k TV, or don't get it at all.

I heard there is some better performance out of the Pro or the slim vs. the ps4 fat

I'll see if I can dig up the article. I too was thinking about a slim or a pro on BF

It's not the differences. I know what they are. The Pro performs better for sure. The question really is does it perform better enough to make it worth double?  It was another thing when the difference was between $299 & $399. Not a  big deal.

But $199 (or less with coupons, etc.) vs. $399?  That's kind of a stretch. That's what I'm struggling with. I was really expecting some kind of Pro BF or holiday deal especially since they've already dropped the price to $350 in Japan. But so far, nothing. And supply is  limited so I'm not sure they need to do anything on price. It's just very irritating because the improvements are not that big.

I went from a PS4 fat to a ps4 pro, and I notice that load times are a LOT faster, though I can't compare with the slim

Honestly, from all the side-by-sides ive watched on YT, there's nothing different between the two. They run them in real time, the loads are off by like a second or less between levels, and the resolution looks identical. 

I'm loving my slim. Its golden on my UHD, and it's buttery. 

To contribute: the PS4 Pro is definitely an upgrade, though it's not a substantial jump. To make it much better, I recently updated my hardware to an SSD (MH:W PS4 Pro) and it runs immaculately.

If you're just shelling out for the Pro and your PS4 is still running (Fine for the most part) I wouldn't warrant any jumps unless you plan on playing on it harder then usual.

Let me tell you, the SSD change was something that I underestimated and it runs extremely smooth now.

You can definitely find some videos on youtube with comparisons to hard drives for PS4 Pros.

To contribute: the PS4 Pro is definitely an upgrade, though it's not a substantial jump. To make it much better, I recently updated my hardware to an SSD (MH:W PS4 Pro) and it runs immaculately.

If you're just shelling out for the Pro and your PS4 is still running (Fine for the most part) I wouldn't warrant any jumps unless you plan on playing on it harder then usual.

Let me tell you, the SSD change was something that I underestimated and it runs extremely smooth now.

You can definitely find some videos on youtube with comparisons to hard drives for PS4 Pros.
Are you running an external HDD as well or only use the SSD? I use an external HDD and have thought about upgrading the internal HDD to a SSD but was unsure how much of an improvement it would make.

The Pro's benefit isn't 4K but rather the performance mode for me. God of War feels like a completely different game in performance mode. And really, most games, I can't see much of an improvement unless I actually look. Horizon is really the only game where I noticed that the higher resolution resulted in actual visual improvement but performance mode didn't seem help the game run better (maybe fps are locked?).

Are you running an external HDD as well or only use the SSD? I use an external HDD and have thought about upgrading the internal HDD to a SSD but was unsure how much of an improvement it would make.
My apologies on the delayed response, vacations and what not. The only thing I am using is SSD, I had some issues timewise pulling from an external HDD, so I gave up on that all together. The improvement on an internal SSD is great, and I thought I would have some buyer's remorse but man. It's great to boot up your PS4 and have games move through loading screens.

The Pro's benefit isn't 4K but rather the performance mode for me. God of War feels like a completely different game in performance mode. And really, most games, I can't see much of an improvement unless I actually look. Horizon is really the only game where I noticed that the higher resolution resulted in actual visual improvement but performance mode didn't seem help the game run better (maybe fps are locked?).
Agreed, graphically there might be a bit of better FPS but I assume that some games have FPS locked for certain areas/games which can't be countered by having a hard drive that is more optimal. It's wholly a performance based improvement, and you'll definitely see a decrease with load times.

Honestly, from all the side-by-sides ive watched on YT, there's nothing different between the two. They run them in real time, the loads are off by like a second or less between levels, and the resolution looks identical.

I'm loving my slim. Its golden on my UHD, and it's buttery.
Thanks for your post. I was trying to decide on the Pro or slim before Anthem drops. I have a 4k TCL and had a Xbox one X (the xbox had HD failed, so I'm going back to PS). With next Gen. around the corner I was having trouble dropping $400 for a Pro and I was trying to find others opinions / reviews with a slim hooked up to a 4k UHD tv. Thanks again for your feed back!

No prob. I watched some pretty reputable tech channels about it and really, unless you see whole polygons jumping loose between the two, anyone saying they can see a major difference is completely yanking your chain.
I wasn’t going to drop $400 either seeing as how I JUST got into this gen’s systems, and at $200 WITH Spider-Man was just too good to pass up. The additional gift cards I had made it a total winner.

I love it. My movies look even better now thanks to the TV and the system responds well. I’ve had one game lock up on me this entire time and it was a one time thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't have a 4k tv it is not worth it. Either you want the best quality by getting a Pro and 4k TV, or don't get it at all.
The PS4 pro still runs certain games better, even not at 4k
Basically games like Jump Force, and Gundam Breaker have higher more consistant frame rates, etc etc.

bread's done
Back