Amazon Trade In: Receive 15% (game) or 20% (console) off your next digital video game purchase.

Saw this last night as I was adding some stuff to my cart to trade in. Figure it could be it awesome deal to order Smash Bros digitally for 15% off and get the $10 pre-order bonus back as well

Do I need to include the game's case for an Amazon trade in or can I just send a disc in an envelope? To be honest, I never trade in anywhere but GameStop and they'll accept disc only. Or I sell on ebay if the trade in value sucks. I never even tried Best Buy trade in, no idea whether or not they want case for that either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I need to include the game's case for an Amazon trade in or can I just send a disc in an envelope? To be honest, I never trade in anywhere but GameStop and they'll accept disc only. Or I sell on ebay if the trade in value sucks. I never even tried Best Buy trade in, no idea whether or not they want case for that either.
You can send in disc only, there used to be a lower value for not having the case but they stopped that a couple of years ago and disc only gets the same value as if the game had everything included.

As an FYI, Best Buy accepts trade ins without the case.

Just a word of caution with Amazons tradin program.

Twice now in the past few months Amazon rejected my trades saying "item received does not match" yet the picture they show is exactly what I sent in, and there is only 1 version of that game anyway...

Then they drop the trade value of that game by 50% or more. (Down to what GS and BB was going to give me)

Just a word of caution with Amazons tradin program.
Twice now in the past few months Amazon rejected my trades saying "item received does not match" yet the picture they show is exactly what I sent in, and there is only 1 version of that game anyway...

Then they drop the trade value of that game by 50% or more. (Down to what GS and BB was going to give me)
Happened to me with Senran Kagura Estival Versus. They keep saying it's missing a disc despite it not being the LE or CE. Gonna try sending it in a blank case and see what happens. Had to do that before when they Day One version of a game was worth less than the standard and it worked

Now I just need them to stock the $200 PS4
This doesn't get you 20% off a console; you get that percentage off a digital game purchase if you trade IN a console, or 15% off if you trade in a game.

Also, be aware that this excludes digital currency, prepaid cards, and subscription services. Full list of exclusions is here:

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=s9_acss_bw_cg_tifaqs_md2_w?node=18391480011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=15NNA5TZY69H90D2AMGJ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=9e696f15-ec66-40d8-bdca-648cf1f80cea&pf_rd_i=18372747011

Hmmm...was going to trade in my Destiny 2 Forsaken disc which all of the important stuff was a code. Any reason why you couldn’t? It’s $14.33 trade in (Xbox One). Way more than GS.

Hmmm...was going to trade in my Destiny 2 Forsaken disc which all of the important stuff was a code. Any reason why you couldn’t? It’s $14.33 trade in (Xbox One). Way more than GS.
This should work, I did the same thing for the Y2 expansion of the original Destiny. If you want to launch the game you'll still need a vanilla disc or a digital version (such as the free ps+ offering from september)

I should get my promo code tomorrow traded in a cheap game... I will test it out.. not sure what game to get digital though any suggestions.

I'm not following. Does this mean I can trade in a crappy game, like Titanfall 2, shipped at their expense, get $1.03 Amazon credit, but 20%15% off a digital preorder of Kingdom Hearts 3, making KH3 only $51? And then I'll get back $10 in Amazon credit for the Prime membership pre-order bonus on KH3?

I'm also having difficulty telling if KH3 is in the exclusion list. It looks like the PS4 version is, but not the Xbox One version?

When do we and how do we get the discount? Do I have to order something at the same time?

Once your video game trade-in is accepted, you can place an eligible digital game in your cart and the discount will be automatically applied at checkout reducing the price of the new digital game by 15%.

Once your console trade-in is accepted, you can place an eligible digital game in your cart and the discount will be automatically applied at checkout reducing the price of the new digital game by 20%.

The discount will expire at 11:59 p.m. (Pacific Time) on January 31, 2019.

Thanks; they just instantly gave me the digital currency ($1.03 tradein value), which they say they do for some accounts, but no discounts are applying to either Kingdom Hearts 3 Xbone digital, or a test of Spyro Reignited PS4 and God of War 4 digital.

I'm not sure when the discount gets activated.

Thanks; they just instantly gave me the digital currency ($1.03 tradein value), which they say they do for some accounts, but no discounts are applying to either Kingdom Hearts 3 Xbone digital, or a test of Spyro Reignited PS4 and God of War 4 digital.

I'm not sure when the discount gets activated.
Does it work on other games, such as Red Dead? Does it work on digital currency?

Does it work on other games, such as Red Dead? Does it work on digital currency?
They specifically say digital currency isn't allowed.

So far, I can't get the discount applied to any digital game. I'm not seeing any discount anywhere (maybe my trade-in has to be received by them first - I'm not sure, I'm asking customer service).

because with instant trade in... if they don't get the game they charge you for the credit and the promo may not have activated for u

The customer support guy didn't know what was what, so after reading the promotion a few times, just claimed I had to wait for it to be received.

After some more experimentation on my side, I figured out that apparently only trade-ins of a specific value or something are eligible. Trying a test trade-in of Super Mario Odyssey pops up a notification that I'll receive the promoted discount on a future purchase, but my $1.03 Titanfall 2 trade-in does not pop up said notification. 

8ae35d75a0.png

This basically makes the promotion worthless to me, but w/e.

The customer support guy didn't know what was what, so after reading the promotion a few times, just claimed I had to wait for it to be received.

After some more experimentation on my side, I figured out that apparently only trade-ins of a specific value or something are eligible. Trying a test trade-in of Super Mario Odyssey pops up a notification that I'll receive the promoted discount on a future purchase, but my $1.03 Titanfall 2 trade-in does not pop up said notification.

8ae35d75a0.png

Oh that's a bummer

8ae35d75a0.png

I did not see the promotion banner when completing a trade-in yesterday, but at least I got a good value, only about $6-7 less than what I paid. It's practically brand-new, so hopefully don't get any BS from the Amazon.

amazon is crap for trade ins recently...got  lacrimosa of dana rejected and it was complete...they told me in chat there is a system error and resubmit and it'll get accepted this time but i ended up selling it...

amazon is crap for trade ins recently...got lacrimosa of dana rejected and it was complete...they told me in chat there is a system error and resubmit and it'll get accepted this time but i ended up selling it...
I got world of final fantasy rejected 2 weeks ago, same deal. Then the price dropped for trade value. 😡

So, what's actually worth ordering with the 15/20% off digital? Doesn't seem too appealing for elite pro or GCU members (granted those are becoming fewer by the day).

Wow, Amazon finally finished appraising my item I sent in

I did not see the promotion banner when completing a trade-in yesterday, but at least I got a good value, only about $6-7 less than what I paid. It's practically brand-new, so hopefully don't get any BS from the Amazon.
Wow, Amazon just appraised my item and rejected it due to "scratches on disc", yet it is brand new and sealed. Hilarious. Never using them again.

Amazon trade in values are schizophrenic. Locked in values totalling $42 on Friday and before I mailed them today those 2 items were down to $25. Not even GS tanks them that fast.

So, what's actually worth ordering with the 15/20% off digital? Doesn't seem too appealing for elite pro or GCU members (granted those are becoming fewer by the day).
Is there a list anywhere of games it works on?

Edit: works on breath of the wild so at least there’s that...

Double edit: anyone have a link to the list of what IS NOT included? I think I’ll hold off on using discount until New Super Mario Brothers comes out in January, though I’m sure it won’t work on it...

Don't trade in sealed games anywhere. It's a no-no
It was for a collector's edition with a statue, box was unsealed, but game was not. I've traded in sealed items in the past, but i guess it was 2 years ago. Maybe they changed their policy.

Not using them again.

It was for a collector's edition with a statue, box was unsealed, but game was not. I've traded in sealed items in the past, but i guess it was 2 years ago. Maybe they changed their policy.

Not using them again.
I received my item back from Amazon today, the game is unsealed, no scratches on disc. Even better, the statue included arrived broken on return.

Thanks, Amazon.

UPDATE: contacted CS explaining the situation and they gave me the full tradein value in promotional credit. Great customer service, but not using their tradein program again.

bread's done
Back