SNES game case project begins!!

Mayor McCheese

CAG Veteran
After recently discovering the great work done by the N64 project guys :applause: I started sniffing around for the SNES project. What! It doesn't exist yet?! Well now it does. ;)

Cases
Same as N64. Grab a honkin' box of 100 of the full sleeve cases from Mediashelving.com. With shipping I dropped $59.46 for this.

Guide
The rules are basically the same for SNES boxes as they are for N64 since they are roughly the same size and shape. I'm not going to retread totally on the guide to chopping and cropping your boxes. You can dig around in the N64 thread for that.

Here's the dimensions just for quick reference:
Entire Box: 3366 x 2100
Front\Back: 1536 x 2100
Spine: 294 x 2100

Here's my steps so far:
1) Scan\Crop front and back and rotate so that the bottoms of each face the spine. I have a 3366 x 2100 canvas ready and just snap them to the sides leaving the spine space in the middle. It's useful to do this first because the boxes are mostly black and there is no easy line to follow for the spine like the N64 boxes have.

2) Scan\Crop the entire spine and scale it to 294 x 1716. Dump it in the slot in the canvas and snap it to the top. The title of the game should have the bottom aligned to the left. If there's a SNES button logo in it, paint it out with black.

3) adjust the levels (Photoshop is my weapon of choice, I don't know if other apps have this ability) to bring the blacks down to absolute black. This can sometimes make the colors over saturated or too dark. If you're lucky the front of the box will have the art confined to a rectangle and you can easily marquee select it and adjust the levels independently. If not, you will have to play with Saturation and potentially hand lasso things to be able to adjust. This can be a pain if the art is deatailed.

4) Get someone to read this and come up with a nifty SNES logo to use on the spine. You can see below that I'm just using the button logo for now, but I don't like the way it looks. I haven't gotten by cases in the mail yet, so I'll reserve judgement until then. I don't have a lot of free time, but maybe I'll come up with something....

Here's an example (you can click on the titles in the next section to see high res versions of them:
fzerothumb.jpg

How many are done?
Well, I've got 20 to contribute. These are done so far:
Bulls Vs. Blazers
Final Fantasy II
FZero
Madden NFL '94
Mega Man X
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat II
Populous
Secret of Mana
Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Ghouls N Ghosts
Super Mario Kart (Player's Choice version)
Super Metroid
Tetris Attack
Zelda

I have these to go:
Prince of Persia
Super Metroid (alt)
Super Star Wars
Super Street Fighter
Super Tennis

What's Left?
Well, I need a place to store them. I'm hoping Snackbar will add a SNES section to their setup so everything is in a central location. I'm waiting to hear back from Snowcone for now. Then we'll need everyone to start digging out their old SNES boxes and scanning their brains loose! :bouncy:

When I'm done with my SNES boxes, I'm gonna start snooping around for something to hold NES carts. I have 44 NES boxes staring at me, begging to be scanned. If you saw their faces you'd know that I won't be able to resist. :D

I'm sure I left something out, but that's the beauty of forums. Someone will call me on it and I'll repost. Happy scanning!

[quote name='Segafiend']Those look great man! I was thinking about doing some Super Famicom stuff. Your thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I don't think any of this madness will be over until every box from every system has been scanned and treated. The Super Famicom boxes will probably be much harder to wrangle, so if you have any of them, go nuts. This does seem like the proper thread to track those for now. ;)

I think I have Super Empire Strikes Back and Super Return of the Jedi somewhere, probably some fighting games and Donkey Kong Country's as well, will report back with what I come up with. Could/should this be linked with Genesis? I mean genesis did have the hardcover boxes, but I know a lot of people out there don't have them. Just a thought, not a suggestion ;) Discuss.

Toukijin

Very nice... If anybody is willing to split the 100 pk SNES casings w/ me, let me know. I think I only need about 30.

Also my black ink cartridge is feeling the pain already... :D

Genesis is definitely worthy, but should probably be in another thread. SNES has so many f'n games in it's catalogue that it will take a lot to cover the problems in this thread. I initially started this one in the N64 thread and it became too much...

I finished my load, adding these:

Super Metroid (Alt)
Prince of Persia
Super Street Fighter II
Super Tennis
Super Star Wars

I also got confirmation from Snowcone that Snackbar games will be adding a SNES section. I'll start uploading them when it's up.

Does anyone have opinions on the spine for these so far. Does that button logo look alright or should we try for something that lines up with the front a little better. Has anyone printed any yet?

I have most of the boxes from my SNES collection, I'll see if I can do what you do w/ my scanner and photochop ability :)

StarFox
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy III
Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2
Super Mario All Star
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
TMNTurtles IV
Disney's Aladdin
Killer Instinct
Stunt Race FX
Earthbound
Mario Paint

Gimme some time on these :)

*Edit*

Damn I think I picked a hard one to work with... also I think my scanner sucks. It picks up a lot of purple lines along w/ the picture, but I tried, although I don't know how to get it crystal clear w/o blemishes.

Donkey Kong Country

I don't suppose any place online already has some high-res scans for the SNES (or Genesis) games that we could just use to build the covers, do they?

daroga

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Damn I think I picked a hard one to work with... also I think my scanner sucks. It picks up a lot of purple lines along w/ the picture, but I tried, although I don't know how to get it crystal clear w/o blemishes.

Donkey Kong Country[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering if that will even be noticeable when you print it. Have you tried yet? If it's noticeable, there's probably a few things to try (maybe Despeckle would work?, you could painstakingly use the stamp tool to paint them out, etc.)

I forgot about Mario Paint! I have that laying around too. Now that I look at the box, it's gonna be a pain to squeeze all that text on the small box....might have to do some artwork. Good luck with that. Let me know if you want me to take a stab at that one. ;)

My scanner is doing the purple line thing too. It's a $25 junker. I've noticed that scanning things in at 600 dpi takes away the purple lines though. I'll have to play with that a bit and see if I can work around it. Also, I finished my first cover, which is for Super Famicom. Do you guys have a place I could upload that to, or know of any good free upload sites? I'd like to get your opinion on how it looks.

Those cases look great McCheese! I think the gray-line-button logo looks pretty good on the spine, actually. And I like how SOSTrooper was able to lay it over the DK Country spine with the transparency. I'll try printing some of those soon and give you another opinion on the final printed version.

[quote name='Backlash']Those cases look great McCheese! I think the gray-line-button logo looks pretty good on the spine, actually. And I like how SOSTrooper was able to lay it over the DK Country spine with the transparency. I'll try printing some of those soon and give you another opinion on the final printed version.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, 'lash. To me the button logo was a temporary solution with a slight chance of becoming permanent if they printed well. I haven't printed any yet since I STILL have not gotten my cases (damned 4th of July holiday!). :D

It would be great if it just looks good and we can start cranking them out. SOSTrooper did do a fine job with the DK Country box. I'm curious if the logo is at the same height as the others (so that they line up).

It's funny, this project (and the N64 & GBA projects) might cause me to buy more games. I'm a completionist, so I need the box and instructions to buy an older game or else it makes me crazy. Since these cases look so good, it opens up more options to buy older games again. This is going to be a costly project in more ways than one. :cry:

[quote name='Segafiend'] Do you guys have a place I could upload that to, or know of any good free upload sites? I'd like to get your opinion on how it looks.[/QUOTE]

Check the N64 project thread. There's a guy who's accepting N64 covers for temporary storage. He might let you upload your Famicom stuff as well. ;)

[quote name='Mayor McCheese']Check the N64 project thread. There's a guy who's accepting N64 covers for temporary storage. He might let you upload your Famicom stuff as well. ;)[/QUOTE]

I PMed him about that several days ago but haven't heard anything back yet. If SnowCone is gonna set up a SNES section on his site, we could just use that. On the other hand, having the raw scans album really helped the N64 project since many people are willing to scan but can't or won't do all the tedious editing to create a final cover.

Woo-hoo! Glad to see this baby underway. Unfortunately, I don't have any boxes....well, I might have Kirby's Avalanch, but that's it. It'd have to do some digging around and crap. But I'll look at get back to you guys!

i ahve super mario kart, castlevania 4, and earthworm jim 1 but ill need to do some photoshop work to them since they are beat up pretty bad.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']I have most of the boxes from my SNES collection, I'll see if I can do what you do w/ my scanner and photochop ability :)

StarFox
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy III
Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2
Super Mario All Star
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
TMNTurtles IV
Disney's Aladdin
Killer Instinct
Stunt Race FX
Earthbound
Mario Paint

Gimme some time on these :)

*Edit*

Damn I think I picked a hard one to work with... also I think my scanner sucks. It picks up a lot of purple lines along w/ the picture, but I tried, although I don't know how to get it crystal clear w/o blemishes.

Donkey Kong Country[/QUOTE]

I hope you've got a big enough scanner to fit Earthbound!

I tried to go to MediaShelving to order some, but I think they're out of stock or something. It just has me enter quantity, but no matter what I do, the price stays at "0.00." =\

Edit: I'm a retard. Never mind.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Very nice... If anybody is willing to split the 100 pk SNES casings w/ me, let me know. I think I only need about 30.

Also my black ink cartridge is feeling the pain already... :D[/QUOTE]

I'll go in with you for some but i only need like 20 at the most... so well need to get some more people in but i'm down

[quote name='daroga']by my count, we've got people needing 94 cases now. Anyone need 6? :)

daroga[/QUOTE]

I'm sure we can split up thee 6 extra cases... the next thing we would ahve to figure out is who i gonna be the person responsible for sending out the cases to everyone.

[quote name='onetrackmind']I'm sure we can split up thee 6 extra cases... the next thing we would ahve to figure out is who i gonna be the person responsible for sending out the cases to everyone.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget to keep a few extra for when you pick up additional N64 or SNES games from eb.com, garage sales, etc.

Here I've done a Final Fantasy III cover scanned from my scratch-filled box....

Final Fantasy III

Took me an hour to iron out some of the white spots. I'll try to do more, but they take up quite a bit of time since I'm slow in editing.

I just got my cases from MediaShelving.com yesterday. I bought a ream of 8.5 x 14 paper and started printing on my Epson1280. The overall look is really good, but the cases are not as great as I thought they'd be.

The plastic sleeve has a little bit of texture to it, so it's not 100% transparent, just 99.8%. It slightly washes out the cover. Also, the sleeve is crooked on a LOT of them. Out of the first 25 boxes I took out of the case, 6 of them were off so much, that the sleeve hung off the bottom of the box and I didn't use them. One of them had a broken corner (probably from the mail guy). So if you are planning on splitting up a box you should allow for a lot of non-mint cases. :cry:

Maybe I just got a bad batch. Anyone else have this problem?

[quote name='Mayor McCheese']I just got my cases from MediaShelving.com yesterday. I bought a ream of 8.5 x 14 paper and started printing on my Epson1280. The overall look is really good, but the cases are not as great as I thought they'd be.

The plastic sleeve has a little bit of texture to it, so it's not 100% transparent, just 99.8%. It slightly washes out the cover. Also, the sleeve is crooked on a LOT of them. Out of the first 25 boxes I took out of the case, 6 of them were off so much, that the sleeve hung off the bottom of the box and I didn't use them. One of them had a broken corner (probably from the mail guy). So if you are planning on splitting up a box you should allow for a lot of non-mint cases. :cry:

Maybe I just got a bad batch. Anyone else have this problem?[/QUOTE]

I did not have any cases with noticably crooked sleeves, especially to the degree that they hung off the bottom. You should probably contact MediaShelving and see if they'll send you replacements.

All of mine are done and printed except Pilotwings and Super Mario World. Does anyone have these?

Maybe I'll get a picture up later to show the end result. ;)

[quote name='Backlash']I did not have any cases with noticably crooked sleeves, especially to the degree that they hung off the bottom. You should probably contact MediaShelving and see if they'll send you replacements.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had maybe 1 that had a sleeve that was very near to hanging off. But the rest were pretty good as far as sleeve straightness. None of my cases were damaged though.

And yeah, the covers' texture makes it a little less than perfectly transparent; but when you've got your N64/Snes collection fully covered and lined up on your shelf, it's really not noticeable. It just looks awesome.

[quote name='slash000']And yeah, the covers' texture makes it a little less than perfectly transparent; but when you've got your N64/Snes collection fully covered and lined up on your shelf, it's really not noticeable. It just looks awesome.[/QUOTE]

You mean like this?:

boxsample.jpg

[quote name='Segafiend']That looks tight Mayor. Here's my first Super Famicom cover.

Romancing Saga 3

Please let me know what you think.[/QUOTE]

Looks really good, Fiend! I think everyone is focused on the N64 project right now. We don't seem to be getting as many hits. ;)

I like this project and I've printed some of your covers. Sadly, I have no boxes to scan. Give it time - it will pick up eventually, especially as the N64 one gets closer to completion.

Looks like Snowcone has added a SNES section to Snackbar-games! :applause: The downside is that there still doesn't seem to be a way to upload covers yet, so we'll have to wait a little while longer. :cry:

[quote name='magius360']Does anyone know a good site to get decent quality scans of the original boxes? I would love to help but all my SNES games are second-hand and I don't have a single box to scan in.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a good one.
www.vgmuseum.com/scans/snes.html[/QUOTE]

Definitely better than nothing, but those low-res images won't look nearly as good as the 300 dpi scans used to create the covers thus far. Just a word of warning before you spend a lot of time editing them.

Especially with a game like Chrono Trigger, someone HAS to have a MINTY box to scan. I don't believe none of the insane collectors around here has one. ;)

daroga

Alright, SegaFiend. Here's Dragon Quest V. You may want to add the Super Famicom logo to the spine and then upload it to Snackbar-games. I also did this quick n' dirty, so give it a once over for specs and dirt. ;)

bread's done
Back