CAGcast #571: Red-Headed Cross-Country Swagger

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks Just Cause 4, Epic Store, Soulja Boy consoles, Hitman 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, and so much more!

Download (1 hr 28 minutes) - iTunes - Google Play - Stitcher - RSS  - YouTube

This episode is sponsored by Mack Weldon AND Harrys!
For 20% off your first order, visit mackweldon.com and enter promo code CAGCAST.

Go to Harrys.com/cag to get $5 off any shave set and free shipping!

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro - Tick Of The Clock (Visione's The Stroke Of Midnight Remix)
Outro - Slowed down clip from CAGcast 570
RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog

Facebook
Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

Check out the CAGcast on YouTube for clips, complete episodes, and more!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why the hate for Switch?  I think the Switch is a huge step up from smartphones for mobile gaming.  I think part of the issue is if it fits your lifestyle.  The Switch is basically a PS3 or Xbox 360 and runs games capable for those systems well.  Though as we've seen, it also plays Wolfenstein II fine.  I hardly get sit down time at my PS4 or XB1 due to my work & school responsibilities.  So the Switch fits my life so much better.  I got tired of touchscreen games, I like buttons.  

I get that the graphics are going to be just slightly better than the 360, but I'm psyched for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.  I hope the next Mass Effect is Switch only too.  I would finally fit in the time to finish these games.

PS...I hated Fortnite on PS4 and XB1.  No idea why but I dropped off quick and went back to PUBG.  But it plays differently on the Switch and I actually enjoy it.  I'm not sure if it's framerate or controls or what.  But definitely just feels better and it's the same game.  Let the kids see what they think.

Why the hate for Switch? I think the Switch is a huge step up from smartphones for mobile gaming. I think part of the issue is if it fits your lifestyle. The Switch is basically a PS3 or Xbox 360 and runs games capable for those systems well. Though as we've seen, it also plays Wolfenstein II fine. I hardly get sit down time at my PS4 or XB1 due to my work & school responsibilities. So the Switch fits my life so much better. I got tired of touchscreen games, I like buttons.

I get that the graphics are going to be just slightly better than the 360, but I'm psyched for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. I hope the next Mass Effect is Switch only too. I would finally fit in the time to finish these games.

PS...I hated Fortnite on PS4 and XB1. No idea why but I dropped off quick and went back to PUBG. But it plays differently on the Switch and I actually enjoy it. I'm not sure if it's framerate or controls or what. But definitely just feels better and it's the same game. Let the kids see what they think.
I think that right there is the issue. Once you are out of school and working full time you don't really have much time to play a video game console on the go. Also it doesn't help that the device is so big and has very few uses outside of gaming. Even when I go on long trips I tend not to bring my switch because I don't like bringing to many devices with me and I can't justify bringing my switch over my ipad or surface.

I was pretty disappointed to see Ultimate alliance 3 as a switch exclusive. Graphically the game looked pretty sub-par and for me these type of games are best played co-op so it won't really benefit from being able to play on the go.

I think that right there is the issue. Once you are out of school and working full time you don't really have much time to play a video game console on the go. Also it doesn't help that the device is so big and has very few uses outside of gaming. Even when I go on long trips I tend not to bring my switch because I don't like bringing to many devices with me and I can't justify bringing my switch over my ipad or surface.

I was pretty disappointed to see Ultimate alliance 3 as a switch exclusive. Graphically the game looked pretty sub-par and for me these type of games are best played co-op so it won't really benefit from being able to play on the go.
Actually since I work full time with family, I don't have console time. Too many responsibilities. I take the Switch in my leather briefcase and play when I am waiting for folks or on breaks. For me, when I was single student I could hang out on the couch more. Definitely depends on your lifestyle I think.

I probably shouldn't have said school in my original post because it is confusing. I am not a young student but do study/research. Switch is great when waiting for the work to start.

I rarely agree with Wombat, but he's right about Cheapys kid probably going off the rails in college. Seen it happen many times, maybe let him make some of his own choices, set his own limits, make some mistakes and learn some time management. That being said, I don't know shit about kids.

I rarely agree with Wombat, but he's right about Cheapys kid probably going off the rails in college. Seen it happen many times, maybe let him make some of his own choices, set his own limits, make some mistakes and learn some time management. That being said, I don't know shit about kids.
Eh, not necessarily. Kids need to learn boundaries and taking care of responsibilities so being a little on the strict side seems OK to me. It's not like the rule is no video games and based on past CAGcasts Tai is probably getting plenty of exposure to all sorts of stuff.

We try to limit video games in my house - must have all HW finished, room cleaned, etc. before playing but we don't restrict to certain days of the week. Honestly, during a school week by the time everything is done there is only 30 minutes to play before bed, if that, so it seems fine to me. Also, no one knows what the eff they are doing as a parent so as long as there is some structure it's probably OK.

Just gotta say I got some weird looks at work listening to the "drunk" clip at the end, one of the funniest things I've heard in a while. Also, Wombat, I was worried I wasn't gonna get to hear my favorite tag line and then you pulled through. I don't care what anyone says about you, you're good in my book!

It would be great if you guys followed through and ordered a couple of those budget game systems. I see them advertised on Instagram and Amazon a lot (some with Mario-branded graphics!), and I'm super curious about (A) how they are getting away with it, and (B) how horrible are they for real. I'm guessing very.

Eh, not necessarily. Kids need to learn boundaries and taking care of responsibilities so being a little on the strict side seems OK to me. It's not like the rule is no video games and based on past CAGcasts Tai is probably getting plenty of exposure to all sorts of stuff.

We try to limit video games in my house - must have all HW finished, room cleaned, etc. before playing but we don't restrict to certain days of the week. Honestly, during a school week by the time everything is done there is only 30 minutes to play before bed, if that, so it seems fine to me. Also, no one knows what the eff they are doing as a parent so as long as there is some structure it's probably OK.
CheapyD is right to limit screen time; recent study shows that basically only has negative consequences. My parents didn't allow television or games on weekdays until late high school. We could read as much as we wanted though. All three in our family went to college and did well, including post-graduate degrees.

Wombat was way off base. Take away the iPads, give your kids books.

Glad to hear Shipwreck made it out to Pincinnati. I was there from 8:30 am the day before the show started until 10pm on Sunday after the show closed. I didn't see him at the show as he seems to have been there during my hungover / recuperation hours. Next years show has already been confirmed and I'll be sure to send Shipwreck a reminder. Let's get the whole CAGcrew there. The hotel has a nice, sizable restaurant / bar area where a CAG meetup could take place.

2019 dates are 11/22-11/24.

Same location! Eastgate Holiday Inn

Let the hype begin!

Two super funny things in this episode, one is Wombat fighting Cheapy because he thinks Tai should watch be able to play games in his room. I'm with Cheapy on this one, as a father of two kids, it's super hard to control the amount of screen time they have already. I don't see how allowing more time with a screen solves anything!

The other is Shipwreck showing how much of a stud he was in HS by going to so many proms. Cheapy and Wombat's mind couldn't handle it, they just didn't understand how this was a reality. LOL. 

bread's done
Back