Dollar General $10 off $50 Gamestop gift cards 12\9 - 12\15

luminaria

CAGiversary!
Haven't posted a deal in a while so I thought it was time to give back and I didn't see this posted yet. This week's Dollar General flyer on the last page shows $5 off $30 and $10 off $50 gift cards shown. Specific cards are $25 Gamestop and Chili's, $20 Domino's, and variable amount Burger King and Olive Garden and associated restaurants. Valid 12-9 through 12\15.

You mean I get it and wait for GameStop to file for bankruptcy for potential 90% off games?

Deal!

For reference, GameStop lets you buy gaming cards (e.g. PSN, XBL, eShop, Google Play) cards with GCs.  Not Amazon, since that's like cash, but the gaming service cards should be an even switch, then.

The last time they did this my DG had the variable load GC's from 25-500. Loaded $50 each on 4 and the total came out to $160.
Yeah, that's what I figured. I don't need $50 in gamestop credit but it would be the only way to get 20% off there. I'd have to get a $25 gamestop card and find some other GC only worth $5 to get the discount. Of course, the more you spend the more you save.

Hmm I'm looking to buy a PS4 pro.....  this may be the best way.   Buy 8 of the $50 cards and id basically get $80 off a ps4 pro.  Hmmmmmmm

Last edited by a moderator:
The only downside to this deal is actually having to go to Dollar General.

It's about time for me to renew my magazine subscription of Game Informer.

I went this morning. I had to go to three stores before I could find Gamestop cards. Go to ring them up and they won't ring up correctly. He couldn't override the price either. Lame.

My local one had an ad correction posted saying it’s 20% off listed cards, which gamestop is, but it excluded variable cards that you pick an amount and tried to ring it up but it took nothing off. Kinda bait and switch to me.

Dollar General shouldn't be limiting the sale to fixed denominations as the image within their ad shows two gift cards (perhaps three) with selectable amounts (Burger King, FLAVOR, and possibly "One Card All the Favorites").

I just wasted an hour and a half of time going to a Dollar General to get this offer. It would not ring up on the ONLY GameStop cards they carry (variable amounts). Was hoping to score a cheap PS4 Pro but guess I will have to wait.

Welp, I win the award for most annoying Dollar General experience. I got 4 $25 cards. The manager had to override to get it to $80, but it worked. Unfortunately, one of the cards I got was a super old GameStop/EB Games gift card, which are not even valid now. Tried using it at GameStop, and the associate was going to have to call in to a customer service line to have it validated and then generate a new $25 gift card for me.

So lesson learned, AVOID THE OLD EB GAMES GIFT CARDS.

Just bought 2 x $25 GameStop cards and it came up to only $5 off. Paid $45. This was my third store trying this deal since I tried the variable cards and it didn’t work. Not really a good deal for only 10% off.

Ad correction. Looks like its 20% off $25 gamestop gc and may only work on $25 only and not the any range ones.

Just bought 2 x $25 GameStop cards and it came up to only $5 off. Paid $45. This was my third store trying this deal since I tried the variable cards and it didn’t work. Not really a good deal for only 10% off.
Had the same experience. One thing I can recommend is checking for the $25 cards BEHIND the variable cards, that’s how I found them. Wasted 30 minutes while the manager went over signage and the ad, finally placing a phone call. Service rep told her there was a ad correction for 20% off and that’s why it rang up $45. I explained to her that 20% off $50 is $40. Her response was “I think the computer is better at math than you sir”.

First and last time I walk into a Dollar General.

I go by 3 Dollar Generals on the way home.
Stop 1 only has the loadable cards, and there’s a sign right next to it that says $10 off $50. Cashier rings it out, of course no discount. She called a manager to help, who did some drawer fuckery to make it so I only paid $40. She then told the worker to remove the sign. I wanted more than $50, but didnt want to push my luck.

DG #2 has a stack of $25 cards. I am excite sinceI thought it’d been reported that they work. I grab the amount I want and have the cashier ring up two at first, to test if if worked and to see if I can get the total amount I want in one go or have to break it up into multiple $50 transactions. She scans the two cards and the total is...$45. I mention $10 off according to the ad, she says “oh, that’s only if it’s a $50 card, not two $25 cards, which is weird bwcause we don’t even have $50 cards.”
Argh.
On to store 3, but my hopes are not high.

My local store had them in 2 locations. 

1) with the other giftcards on an endcap($25 ones only)

2) on some hang tags near the registers(variable ones only)

I got in on the deal last night as some stores start new ads at 7pm the night before. The cashiers had to do a payput for it to work as they hadn't started the new ad but allowed us to do it. 

Store 3 had variable, did the $10 payout.
I had planned on getting $300 worth to get a Switch for ~$200 by combining this deal with Gamestop’s $25 gc offer, but I guess I’ll settle on $100 of digital currency for $80.

Sounds like a major hassle. I have the costco citi card with price protection. I should be able to pick this up from any local store and get it pm'd. You guys should consider a credit card like this. I no longer get blocked by regional, internet only, or even black friday deals with it.

Ad correction. Looks like its 20% off $25 gamestop gc and may only work on $25 only and not the any range ones.
It didn't work on the $15 to $100 (or whatever range it was) cards the last time. And if they don't have the $25 cards in stock, you're screwed. I don't know if it's that they don't get restocked or that the employees are too lazy to unpack the gift cards if they do get them. You'd think Dollar General would keep lots of extra gift cards on hand this time of year, but the one near me doesn't.

Had the same experience. One thing I can recommend is checking for the $25 cards BEHIND the variable cards, that’s how I found them. Wasted 30 minutes while the manager went over signage and the ad, finally placing a phone call. Service rep told her there was a ad correction for 20% off and that’s why it rang up $45. I explained to her that 20% off $50 is $40. Her response was “I think the computer is better at math than you sir”.

First and last time I walk into a Dollar General.
They do not hire the best and brightest.

I went a little out of my way for DG #4 and found success.
They had an ad correction sign that said 20% off $25 cards only, limit one per transaction, and they had a bunch of $25 cards. So maybe my issue at #2 was that I tried 2 $25 cards in one transaction.
Anyway, dude let me do multiple transactions and every $25 card rang up for $20.

You are lucky they rang up. I found a store with x10 $25 cards and no discount rang through. She called her manager and said I could only purchase one card and get the discount. I told them no thank you. Maybe I will try again later this week because I spent way too much time and gas on this effort.

I go by 3 Dollar Generals on the way home.
Stop 1 only has the loadable cards, and there’s a sign right next to it that says $10 off $50. Cashier rings it out, of course no discount. She called a manager to help, who did some drawer fuckery to make it so I only paid $40. She then told the worker to remove the sign. I wanted more than $50, but didnt want to push my luck.

DG #2 has a stack of $25 cards. I am excite sinceI thought it’d been reported that they work. I grab the amount I want and have the cashier ring up two at first, to test if if worked and to see if I can get the total amount I want in one go or have to break it up into multiple $50 transactions. She scans the two cards and the total is...$45. I mention $10 off according to the ad, she says “oh, that’s only if it’s a $50 card, not two $25 cards, which is weird bwcause we don’t even have $50 cards.”
Argh.
On to store 3, but my hopes are not high.
So if you had did two transactions at DG2, you would have 5 off both? I should have taken pic of the ad correction.

the ad reads.. 5 of 30 and 10 of 50... also went to 2 stores..only had the variable and a dumb hilbilly manager told me its not working because it doesnt start til the 3 day sale on the 13th i give up

Yeah, ad is wrong and a correction has gone out. Correction states that variable cards aren’t part of it, just the $25 cards.

If this is now  only for $25 gamestop cards now. How is it possible to ever take part in the $5 off $30 deal? When now to get over $30 you would have to buy $50.

This is text book bait and switch because there is no save $5 off $30 deal in any store.  You will have to buy $50 to get a deal.

So it turns out I only have a Dollar General Market within 10 miles and they don't care gift cards according to the website. The closest store is 28 miles away so yeah, I won't be taking advantage of this deal.

I have 5 dollar general in my city. Tried two and no luck. Going to try the one by my house first tomorrow

bread's done
Back