Valkyria Chronicles 4: Memoirs From Battle Edition (All Platforms) $34.99 at Amazon

$50 is my price point for this but is poor timing with all of the other great games that have been on sale. 

fuck it, I'm in for one. 

I've been having CE regret ever since I paid $60 for the Wolfie II CE and it recently hit like $28. But whatever, I barely buy games these days and it seems like it's a solid game. I loved the first, never played 2 or 3 so I know I'll never play this... adding on to the 2000 unplayed games I have. 

Last edited by a moderator:
fuck it, I'm in for one.

I've been having CE regret ever since I paid $60 for the Wolfie II CE and it recently hit like $28. But whatever, I barely buy games these days and it seems like it's a solid game. I loved the first, never played 2 or 3 so I know I'll never play this... adding on to the 2000 unplayed games I have.
From what I read you don't need to play 2 since it takes place after. 3 takes place around the time of 1 and 4 but it never came here so unless you want to play the translation you're good to go on playing 4.

From what I read you don't need to play 2 since it takes place after. 3 takes place around the time of 1 and 4 but it never came here so unless you want to play the translation you're good to go on playing 4.
I don't know why but I kept thinking it was released here... oh well.

I’m going through the game now and really enjoying it, however, it’s a bit of a missed opportunity and a knee jerk reaction to the poor reviews of Valkyria Revolution.

The gameplay is identical to the first (good) with some new units and weapons (great!) and despite being worried about getting attached to a new squad, I quickly grew to like the characters. However, i would have preferred some QoL updates: menus are slow and often have unskippable scenes when entering and exiting them (R&D, Training, etc.). They’re always the same on top of it, which gets grating, especially when you enter a menu by accident. There’s no mid-battle saves, so if you have to quit the game, you could lose 45-mins to an hour to get back to the same point in the battle. And if you forget to save after every battle and do something stupid, like hit Power Off when you meant to hit Rest Mode, there is no auto save to fall back on. Likewise there is no undo in battles, so a small mistake or hitting end turn too quickly might mean having to do the whole mission over, especially if you’re looking for a high grade. Finally, at least mid-game, there are pages and pages of story cut scenes which don’t auto play, are split at seemingly arbitrary boundaries, and can take 30 mins or more to go through between battles.

That said, the characters are great, once in a battle, things are great, and if you can get past the fact that it’s effectively the same game as VC1, it’s a lot of fun. I’m glad I opted for the MFB edition since the Hafen becomes an integral character in the game.

Edit: thelonepig is right, you can save during battle.

I’m going through the game now and really enjoying it, however, it’s a bit of a missed opportunity and a knee jerk reaction to the poor reviews of Valkyria Revolution.

The gameplay is identical to the first (good) with some new units and weapons (great!) and despite being worried about getting attached to a new squad, I quickly grew to like the characters. However, i would have preferred some QoL updates: menus are slow and often have unskippable scenes when entering and exiting them (R&D, Training, etc.). They’re always the same on top of it, which gets grating, especially when you enter a menu by accident. There’s no mid-battle saves, so if you have to quit the game, you could lose 45-mins to an hour to get back to the same point in the battle. And if you forget to save after every battle and do something stupid, like hit Power Off when you meant to hit Rest Mode, there is no auto save to fall back on. Likewise there is no undo in battles, so a small mistake or hitting end turn too quickly might mean having to do the whole mission over, especially if you’re looking for a high grade. Finally, at least mid-game, there are pages and pages of story cut scenes which don’t auto play, are split at seemingly arbitrary boundaries, and can take 30 mins or more to go through between battles.

That said, the characters are great, once in a battle, things are great, and if you can get past the fact that it’s effectively the same game as VC1, it’s a lot of fun. I’m glad I opted for the MFB edition since the Hafen becomes an integral character in the game.
You absolutely can save mid-battle.

Glad I didn't preorder this version.  I wanted it, but my gut told me it would end up dropping soon enough.

Grabbed it at $55, Amazon price corrected me down to $50, and had a bunch of promo credits to throw at it.

Thanks OP!

Got it for $49 on monday. Had a 5% off coupon attached. Glad I waited. Thanks Op. 

I supported SEGA day one on this.

While I wish I paid 47 dollars instead, just remember that surplus CEs is better then "hard to find, and scalped" ones. 

If you have any interest in this game, consider picking this up. Don't make SEGA regret making too many (or at least mitigate the effect lol).

Down to $43.83.  I already got the Switch CE but am tempted to get the PS4 one too, at this price.

The standard PS4 version is down to $23.11 if you don't want the CE contents.

Very happy that I returned my pre-order and bought the digital version for $30. It's easier to ignore a backlog game when it's digital

Very happy that I returned my pre-order and bought the digital version for $30. It's easier to ignore a backlog game when it's digital
You could also help a cag out and give me that $30 and ignore that you gave money for something you won't play for years until you rebuy it for sub $15 :D/

bread's done
Back