- - - - -

2019 Thrift Store Thread -- Share Your Findings Here

#91 juangrande386   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1400 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

juangrande386

Posted 27 April 2019 - 11:00 PM

$30 Wii bundle, $15 Wii bundle, $10 Playstation stuff

C33b0j3.jpgfe0J2Gx.jpg

#92 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   2068 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2019 - 12:41 AM

96STDQF.jpg

I may have used up all my luck for a while.

Also the scoring system in this game is really punishing, deducts a shit ton of points for using any ammo. On top of that you have to score high to unlock stuff. Otherwise really fun so far.

is this the savers in la mirada? I saw a copy of skygunner a week ago but it appears the disc got swiped / stolen.

#93 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1812 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 April 2019 - 01:41 AM

96STDQF.jpg

I may have used up all my luck for a while.

Also the scoring system in this game is really punishing, deducts a shit ton of points for using any ammo. On top of that you have to score high to unlock stuff. Otherwise really fun so far.

I had that game briefly. Damned frustrating despite the cuteness of the characters. It's like hugging a teddy bear that turns out to be a cactus.

#94 Rotondo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   110 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:36 PM

is this the savers in la mirada? I saw a copy of skygunner a week ago but it appears the disc got swiped / stolen.

Nah, I'm in Massachusetts. Honestly if it was only a couple bucks probably still worth it for just the case lol.

Edit: some thrift stores do keep the discs for the games behind counters, it's rare but it's worth asking.

I had that game briefly. Damned frustrating despite the cuteness of the characters. It's like hugging a teddy bear that turns out to be a cactus.

Yeah, especially the scoring system. I want to play it like star fox and unload on everyone but it penalizes me for using ammo. 

I'm having fun with the game, but it's so strange that it does that. I feel like a few simple changes and it'd be way better.

#95 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   2068 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:02 AM

Found some favorites of mine for my collection. All discs are in mint condition.
  • Blu-ray Close Encounters of the Third Kind 30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition $3
  • 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray Planet of the Apes Trilogy Collection $3
  • Blu-ray Die Hard 25th Anniversary Collection $6
  • PC Game - The Witcher Enhanced Edition $3

IMG-1614.jpg

I also saw a few PS1 titles and bunch of hardcover strategy guides (mostly new/sealed) but I passed on it.

$6 each

IMG-1368.jpg

$3 each

IMG-1628.jpgIMG-1629.jpg

#96 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   2068 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:40 AM

Scored a few Wii / Gamecube games today. All in perfect mint & complete condition. Crazy!!!!

IMG-4218.jpgIMG-2342.jpgIMG-2344.jpg

#97 Yu Narukami  

Yu Narukami

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:37 AM

Scored a few Wii / Gamecube games today. All in perfect mint & complete condition. Crazy!!!!

IMG-4218.jpgIMG-2342.jpgIMG-2344.jpg

Motherbleeper! I'd kick the cutest, sweetest puppy you've ever seen if I could find Radiant Dawn in the wild! I just got a nice Wii haul last Saturday. No Radiant Dawn. No Radiant Dawn EVER!

#98 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   2068 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:02 AM

Motherbleeper! I'd kick the cutest, sweetest puppy you've ever seen if I could find Radiant Dawn in the wild! I just got a nice Wii haul last Saturday. No Radiant Dawn. No Radiant Dawn EVER!

I got lucky but now I can sleep in peace. I sold my only copy of Radiant Dawn (I got it for $10 at Sears nationwide clearance) years ago for $30 on craigslist.

#99 Yu Narukami  

Yu Narukami

Posted 11 May 2019 - 12:53 AM

I got lucky but now I can sleep in peace. I sold my only copy of Radiant Dawn (I got it for $10 at Sears nationwide clearance) years ago for $30 on craigslist.

...Ouch.

#100 juangrande386   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1400 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

juangrande386

Posted 11 May 2019 - 04:47 PM

Alice In Wonderland pictures were $3, Zippo with USS Aeolus was $3, 4GB iPod Nano was $6, 16GB iPod Shuffle was $10, slim PS1 was $20, PS2 was $12, THPG was $3

IVuG3LF.jpguCyjiqJ.jpg

#101 postaboy   OLD SKOOL CAGER CAGiversary!   2068 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:17 AM

Gameboy Advance with games - all for $30.

IMG-6904.jpgIMG-6908.jpgIMG-6912.jpgIMG-6906.jpg

#102 TuscaloosaJohnny  

TuscaloosaJohnny

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:51 AM

Gameboy Advance with games - all for $30.

IMG-6904.jpgIMG-6908.jpgIMG-6912.jpgIMG-6906.jpg

Aren’t the Mega Man GB games worth serious cheddar?

#103 Mike_TV   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   431 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:33 PM

3-5 yes, but 1 and 2 are fairly common.

#104 juangrande386   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1400 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

juangrande386

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:27 PM

Not much gaming stuff this week, they had a Wii with balance board/2 wiimotes/cables/ some other stuff for $50....naw. I picked up 2 shirts for work and 3 sealed packs of Pokemon Sun and Moon Unbroken Bonds cards for $8. One of the shirts was brand new and was once marked $60 apparently.

#105 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1812 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:01 AM

http://kiblitzing.bl...-of-it-all.html

We have a church-sponsored thrift store in town. They're only open two days out of the week, so anything that's donated is set in one of two piles outside the store. The free pile is for anyone to pick through and take. The donation pile goes into the store at the end of the week and can't be taken.

The free pile had a crapload of Wii games, including Zelda: Twilight Princess, Super Mario Sluggers, and the big prize, Super Mario Maker for Wii U. I happily took all of them home, excluding a few throwaway titles and a second copy of Zelda.

The donation pile had a stack of DS and 3DS games, which I left alone but vowed to purchase when the store opened on Friday. I got there that Friday, cracked open one of the cases, and... nothing was inside. All of the cases were empty! Augh! I don't know if they were donated that way or if someone filched them in the interim, but I was... displeased.

I kept my cool (the store IS next door to a church after all) and bought a Flintstones DVD set and a wonky digital camera instead. Why do these damn things always seem to be broken or at least partially broken when I buy them, anyway? Anyway, I was happy with my haul overall. Wii games, accessories, and even a system tend to get dropped into the free pile from time to time, and really, you can't beat the price.

#106 Yu Narukami  

Yu Narukami

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:00 PM

http://kiblitzing.bl...-of-it-all.html

We have a church-sponsored thrift store in town. They're only open two days out of the week, so anything that's donated is set in one of two piles outside the store. The free pile is for anyone to pick through and take. The donation pile goes into the store at the end of the week and can't be taken.

Wow, that sounds like a really stupid way to do things. But, after all, they're only open two days out of the week. Intelligent business planning seems to elude those guys. And I thought one of my thrift stores was shitty, only being open four days a week.

#107 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1812 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:17 AM

Wow, that sounds like a really stupid way to do things. But, after all, they're only open two days out of the week. Intelligent business planning seems to elude those guys. And I thought one of my thrift stores was shitty, only being open four days a week.

Very little money is put into the store... the items they sell are all donated and the clerks are volunteers. It would likely cost them more than they would make in sales if they were open more than two days of the week. I'm not complaining, though... if they wanna leave stuff in the free box for me, I'm more than happy to take it off their hands.

I'm guessing the Wii was probably a big thing in this town ten or twelve years ago, and now it's just taking up space in peoples' closets. I've gotten Wiimotes, Wii Motion Pluses, Wii games, and even an entire system from the free box, and another Wii with The Last Story for ten dollars in a yard sale. It makes sense considering that many of the people who live here are on the edge of retirement, and Nintendo was targeting bored middle aged housewives with these products ten years ago.

#108 Rotondo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   110 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:34 PM

Some neat finds lately, PS1 games were 3 for 10. Later went back and grabbed destruction derby 2 which was also there for 4 bucks.

Original Dell Logo keyboard was 3, this is before I took it all apart and cleaned it inside and out. It's a very cool keyboard it's built like a tank, and also weighs 4 pounds.

Big find was the Atari ST with monitor for 13 dollars, probably not going to beat that for a long time. The missing key grates at my soul, however it's not yellowed at all and works. This is also before I took it apart and cleaned it up.

Now I just need to find some Atari St games and I'll be good to go.

RBJtax6.jpg

N5eG1FR.jpg

#109 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1812 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:31 AM

That Dell logo just makes me hear the Law and Order sting. DEN-DEN!

Very nice catch on the Atari ST. The Amiga was always more my thing, but all of these computers from the 1980s are getting hard to find, with prices to match. I would love to get my hands on a Commodore 128, but somehow I just don't see that happening. =(

#110 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10842 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:00 AM

Very nice catch on the Atari ST. The Amiga was always more my thing, but all of these computers from the 1980s are getting hard to find, with prices to match. I would love to get my hands on a Commodore 128, but somehow I just don't see that happening. =(

I highly recommend coming to something like Portland Retro Gaming Expo in Portland OR sometime its in the fall, lots of classic PC stuff there, Amiga, Commodore, seen a few VIC-20s too. Usually the prices are pretty decent, most people want to pass it on vs making a crap ton of money.

Nice find on the Atari ST. There are a few retro PC recycling shops in Seattle I need to check out and get myself a PC put together from the early to mid 90s 

#111 Rotondo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   110 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:49 AM

One reason they're getting harder to find is that thrift stores are throwing them out.

The dell keyboard I bought which is extremely rare, was put out by accident and they were shocked that I was buying it and excited about it.

The Atari ST is similar, the guy was surprised that it sold. They usually turn away old pc donations but this one was in a bin and snuck in. So they figured why not try and sell it. 

Hopefully stuff avoids getting thrown out, a lot of this stuff is way more rare than it is valuable though.

#112 PlunderedGamer  

PlunderedGamer

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:46 PM

I don't know how you guys do it. Every Goodwill near me knows what their stuff is worth and they completely overprice everything.

#113 PlunderedGamer  

PlunderedGamer

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:05 PM

Posted Today, 09:46 AM

I don't know how you guys do it. Every Goodwill near me knows what their stuff is worth and they completely overprice everything.

I retract this post. $26 for everything.YLD3DAc.jpg

#114 Vadid Nanko  

Vadid Nanko

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:07 PM

Haven't really been finding games at my local Goodwills lately, but over the past few months have found some cool gaming stuff. Been wanting a red Wii for a long time. This one is heavily scratched and missing the Gamecube ports covers but, with an extra controller to boot, I'll take it.

QyYDTCQ.jpgqLvqqMb.jpg

This PS3 had dusty ports all around, no controller or cords, so I only picked it up to see if it had a decent sized hard drive. Turned out to be a great buy as it was a 320GB console (my original PS3 has only 80) and it actually works! Funnily enough I went to a thrift store just a day before and the cashier told me I had just missed out on a PS3 then. Also, third time I've picked up a console from a Goodwill with personal info still present. Thank you for the consoles but remember to wipe your personal data! Oh, by the way, $7 and there was a copy of Modern Warfare 2 inside as well.

jmFnKdr.jpg

#115 arsenalcrazy8   As Cheap As Wenger. CAGiversary!   2315 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

arsenalcrazy8

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:15 PM

Finally had some quality finds after a longgggg time.

local thrift Dreamcast games ($2 bucks each):

Soul Calibur

Kiss Psycho Circus

Tom Clancys Rainbow Six

Air Force Delta

Local Goodwill (they started shipping their games to shopgoodwill.com so was surprised to find)

$7 nes console only aaaannndddd

3 bucks each:

Tecmo Bowl

Tecmo Super Bowl

River City Ransom

Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt

Ninja Gaiden

Ninja Gaiden 2

Double Dragon 

Double Dragon 2

Double Dragon 3

Contra

Super Contra

Jackal

Castlevania 

Ice Hockey

Blades of Steel

Metroid

#116 Rotondo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   110 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:06 PM

It's definitely a timing thing.

Figuring out what hours a thrift store puts things out is useful, this is usually within the early hours of the day.

Since I'm self employed and mostly work at home I usually take a break a day or two a week and go around 10 AM.

Edit: and also an amount of luck. Even if you're there when they put things out, it could very well be random stuff you're not interested in.

#117 GamerSavage   The Throwback Kid CAGiversary!   1377 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

GamerSavage

Posted 23 May 2019 - 02:01 AM

My gaming finds hit a good note over the last week or so:

Salvation Army:

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (XB1) - $6

Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - $2

Guitar Hero 2 Wired Guitar - in original box (PS2) - $5

Guitar Hero III Wired Guitar - in original box (PS2) - $5

Animal Humane Thrift:

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon (Xbox) - $1

Goodwill:

Call of Duty 2 (Xbox 360) - $4

Colin McRae: DiRT (Xbox 360) - $4

DiRT 3 (Xbox 360) - $4

Guitar Hero III (Xbox 360) - $4

Guitar Hero World Tour (Xbox 360) - $4

Other cool finds:

More owl statues/figurines for my collection - various prices

FabBall Hammer Razor Urethane Bowling Ball (15 lbs) - $2

Bowling Statue/Trophy - $2

Clothing and ball caps - various prices

70s Smith-Corona Electra 120 electric typewriter w/ carrying case - $5.25

Hand painted "Spider-man" bowling pin - $1

There were some other games I was interested in at Goodwill. Problem is the backs of the discs look like someone ran them through a wood chipper or crosscut shredder. They had a gold chrome Xbox 360 wireless controller for $25, I passed on that. They also had Royal manual typewriter w/ carrying case for $40 I wish I could have bought.

Edited by GamerSavage, 25 May 2019 - 02:39 AM.

#118 juangrande386   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1400 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

juangrande386

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:09 AM

Hockey stuff was $30! Wii with Wii Sports inside- $15, GBA grip/rechargeable battery- $2, 3 PS2 controllers- $9, PS2 network adapter- $2, 8GB iPod- $2, Pucks-$20, Air Jordans....$5!

Y6lWcaa.jpg8YtB2wH.jpg

#119 Retroxcellence   Billy "Big Bang" Blitz CAGiversary!   1710 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Retroxcellence

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:17 AM

Hockey stuff was $30! Wii with Wii Sports inside- $15, GBA grip/rechargeable battery- $2, 3 PS2 controllers- $9, PS2 network adapter- $2, 8GB iPod- $2, Pucks-$20, Air Jordans....$5!

Y6lWcaa.jpg8YtB2wH.jpg

I love those pucks! Hopefully the hockey stuff wasn't too stinky

#120 juangrande386   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1400 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

juangrande386

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:22 AM

^Thats exactly what I expected when I asked to look in the bag! The helmet, gloves, and pants look they were rarely worn! Bag, elbow pads, and leg guards look used but nothing terrible and nothing the ole Magic Erasers shouldnt clean up!