(DEAD) Return of Double Dragon (SNES clone system compatible) - $7.90 at Amazon (Add-On item)

Josef

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
:rofl:

They went to all the trouble of a retro cartridge release (and I remember the fair amount of hype it got) and didn't even bother to make sure it worked on the actual consoles...?

:rofl:

They need to be paying the customer $7.90 to take it off their stupid hands.

Yeah I'm not paying for a reproduction cartridge. This is the equivalent of a rom hack or homebrew. That and whatever company made that is a failure. A SNES game that can't play on original SNES.

I don't own a clone system so even if I wanted it this garbage is useless.

I mean right on the cover it says SNES COMPATIBLE 

Then in the amazon description it says 

Supports most 3rd party SNES compatible systems. Does NOT support the original SNES system

Evidently these will work on SNES 1-Chip consoles (late model SNES consoles with serial number of UN31xxxx) and the SNES Jr/Mini. I see a lot of people bitching (understandably) but I'm more intrigued as to WHY it only works on the unified 1-Chip consoles.

Isn't this just a repro of a ROM of Return of Double Dragon released in Japan in 1992? I don't understand why people would buy this, and how whoever owns the rights to Double Dragon would allow them to release this. Have people ever heard of importing? You could just import it or look at a local game shop if they have a Super Famicom section.

I guess you could import it.....or buy the version that is officially licensed and translated for the US for under $10.

I don't wanna do apologetics for this game when I have issues with it myself, but some of these complaints are just stupid.

It's $8.83 now and after reading reviews it sure seems like a piece of crap. I guess you always have the shell and box though.

I have a super analogue nt. But I've always heard these repo carts are bad long term for consoles. Anyone had any issues or thoughts?

Yes, some of the repros use boards that aren't correct spec. If they're too thick they can damage your cart slot long-term. I would be wary of this one given the compatibility issues.

Not the point.. there is definitely collector appeal for an actual localized release. But these companies need to actually do a respectable job with them; unfortunately few in the niche seem to give a damn about doing things the right way.

I have a super analogue nt. But I've always heard these repo carts are bad long term for consoles. Anyone had any issues or thoughts?
IIRC, the issue is modern mass-produced ROM chips don't require as much electricity as their 80s forebears, and cheap multi-carts and repros simply feed the excess back into the console rather than include the parts to do the proper step-down of the voltage. I've only ever heard of this being a potential long-term issue with original consoles, I'd like to think the designers of modern clones like the Analogue accounted for consumers using modern flash-carts and repros.

bread's done
Back