* * * - - 11 votes

XBL Deals - DwG: Fallout 76, Skyforge, WRC 5/6/7, 360 CoD:MW, more | Deep Silver | GwG: PvZ: GW2, Adventure Time: PotE; MGR: Revengeance

#841 Gurren Lagann   Who Da Hell Do You Think I Am CAGiversary!   2984 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Gurren Lagann

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:04 AM

How is the Overwatch community now? Each sale I get so tempted to buy it but usually something else hops the line, I’ve enjoyed the trial and free weekends. I’d like to get it next time it’s at a good price but only if the community is still doing well.

Not sure but I'm still kicking myself for not picking it up when it was $20 some months ago.

#842 deszaras   Wait...what? CAGiversary!   818 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

deszaras

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:38 AM

The game still has plenty of active players, so getting into the game shouldn’t be difficult. The “community” itself is still toxic AF, but if you avoid game chat for the most part and ignore any hate messages received, you can still have a good time. I’m lower level (low-mid Gold tier) so I don’t deal with a lot of the BS, but my fiancé is higher than me and had to turn off messaging from non-friends because of Overwatch. She plays a ton though and never has any issues getting games. From what I can tell, on the beginning levels it may take a while, but there’s so many smurf accounts on the Xbox that there’s bound to be some low level players looking for games until you get high enough for Competitive (if you want to go that route - wouldn’t blame you in the slightest if you didn’t haha).

I'll have to wait in a skirmish every once in a while and only get stuck waiting for more than a minute or two at like 3am eastern. I've never been so frustrated with waiting that I turn the game off. I do usually only play during events when the player base gets a bit of a bump, but at this point it's at most every other month I feel.

Thanks for the insight.

#843 braiiins  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:31 AM

The “community” itself is still toxic AF, but if you avoid game chat for the most part and ignore any hate messages received, you can still have a good time. I’m lower level (low-mid Gold tier) so I don’t deal with a lot of the BS, but my fiancé is higher than me and had to turn off messaging from non-friends because of Overwatch.

I've heard it's pretty toxic but in all the hours I've played (it's been my top played game the last 2 years) the worst I've heard is people mildly swearing because the team doesn't work well together. The majority of console players seem to not use mics from my experience. They must be used more in higher tiers if she deals with it more because I am also usually gold. Maybe I've just been lucky.

#844 Sielanas  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:17 PM

Can anyone explain/point me somewhere that explains about TrueHD and the top tier sound formats and how they work? I know how sound and receivers used to work, the new age of soundbars has me confused. Between owning and acquiring 4k content, a lot of movies have the new lossless formats but I have no idea how to get them and my searching doesn't tell me anything. Does the console output the fancy formats or am I losing things connecting through HDMI? (I know optical doesn't work for them)

I know Atmos is barely used in games, but is also in many 4k movies. That I know requires new speakers due to the vertical component.

#845 Deadpool   I club baby seals CAGiversary!   2408 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 04:38 PM

Can anyone explain/point me somewhere that explains about TrueHD and the top tier sound formats and how they work? I know how sound and receivers used to work, the new age of soundbars has me confused. Between owning and acquiring 4k content, a lot of movies have the new lossless formats but I have no idea how to get them and my searching doesn't tell me anything. Does the console output the fancy formats or am I losing things connecting through HDMI? (I know optical doesn't work for them)

I know Atmos is barely used in games, but is also in many 4k movies. That I know requires new speakers due to the vertical component.

https://forum.blu-ra...ead.php?t=71252

Please feel free to delete this post if the link is in violation of the forum rules. 

#846 Super Strider TurbulenceEX   Son of the Old Gods CAG Veteran   338 Posts   Joined 0.8 Years Ago  

Super Strider TurbulenceEX

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:12 PM

I've heard it's pretty toxic but in all the hours I've played (it's been my top played game the last 2 years) the worst I've heard is people mildly swearing because the team doesn't work well together. The majority of console players seem to not use mics from my experience. They must be used more in higher tiers if she deals with it more because I am also usually gold. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I'm not even sure what 'toxic' means at this point but when you are in a 'competitive' (and I use that word loosely with Overwatch) game with a large group of people driven by ego, your are going to hear alot of shit talk. And honestly, compared to something like playing Mortal Kombat II on Genesis online via Xband or Halo 2 back in the day on Xbox Live, it's pretty tame.

#847 SIX min WHISTLE   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3582 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

SIX min WHISTLE

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:39 PM

I think Overwatch only gets really toxic if you rank up in Competitive. I usually place Gold, with the occasional Platinum, and never really heard shit talking. I usually queue up with a couple guys. I have a friend that plays a lot still and generally solo queues that hears more of it, but he was more frustrated by the various bad metas than people being shithead.

Personally I've only seen people being toxic in Fortnite lately, and it's pretty rare. Most of the salty messages I get are in fighting games.

#848 Sielanas  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:42 PM

https://forum.blu-ra...ead.php?t=71252

Please feel free to delete this post if the link is in violation of the forum rules.

Appreciated, here and via the pm. I think I'm hosed because my TV seems to lie about passing through audio. Plug Xbox on to tv, 4k and stereo. Into soundbar gets 1080p and surround. I'm beginning to think I have to buy another piece of equipment to get everything in one. And here I thought I had solved everything.

#849 hauz20   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   848 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:45 PM

Appreciated, here and via the pm. I think I'm hosed because my TV seems to lie about passing through audio. Plug Xbox on to tv, 4k and stereo. Into soundbar gets 1080p and surround. I'm beginning to think I have to buy another piece of equipment to get everything in one. And here I thought I had solved everything.

Televisions passing Atmos audio is a recent development. I have a 2016 LG OLED, and it doesn't. You'll need to route the audio to a sound bar or reciver that supports it.

#850 bear489   My Trolliest President CAGiversary!   913 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:01 PM

Bloody  Fuck , My Xbone X keeps breaking. Last month I lost signal to the tv, I tried everything from reboot, another hdmi cable, different ports on the tv, to another tv, and nothing. Sent it in under warranty. Got it back after 10 days out. Lasted 3 weeks and did the same thing and again did the same steps before sending it in. Just got it back this past Monday and everything is working till this morning. Tried the same steps, did a hard reboot and now it won't power on at all. So not only does it not send signal to the tv but now it won't turn on and what puts the cherry on top is it's out of warranty.  Fuck  Fuck  Fuck

#851 tribalnoise   Official Threadkiller CAGiversary!   1914 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

tribalnoise

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:10 PM

Bloody  Fuck , My Xbone X keeps breaking. Last month I lost signal to the tv, I tried everything from reboot, another hdmi cable, different ports on the tv, to another tv, and nothing. Sent it in under warranty. Got it back after 10 days out. Lasted 3 weeks and did the same thing and again did the same steps before sending it in. Just got it back this past Monday and everything is working till this morning. Tried the same steps, did a hard reboot and now it won't power on at all. So not only does it not send signal to the tv but now it won't turn on and what puts the cherry on top is it's out of warranty.  Fuck  Fuck  Fuck

MS may make an exception about the warranty period due to how recently you got the system back.

#852 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8822 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:20 PM

MS may make an exception about the warranty period due to how recently you got the system back.

Yeah, I think they would if it was “fixed” and only three weeks later.

#853 jimbo8574   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   7813 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:22 PM

Sounds like the second repair was returned on Monday so POS didn't even make a week.   No way would I accept my warranty is over.  It was DOA when I got around to hooking it up.  

#854 gamegirlpocket   hope rides alone CAGiversary!   2178 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

gamegirlpocket

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:45 PM

Decided to try and play through RE7 this week before RE2 comes out. The demo is getting such great reception I may end up splurging on it. 

Started this morning and goddamn, I love horror games but RE7 is fucking scary. These games usually are tense and creepy, but this is a whole new level. 

#855 deszaras   Wait...what? CAGiversary!   818 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

deszaras

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:25 PM

I'm not even sure what 'toxic' means at this point but when you are in a 'competitive' (and I use that word loosely with Overwatch) game with a large group of people driven by ego, your are going to hear alot of shit talk. And honestly, compared to something like playing Mortal Kombat II on Genesis online via Xband or Halo 2 back in the day on Xbox Live, it's pretty tame.

I think Overwatch only gets really toxic if you rank up in Competitive. I usually place Gold, with the occasional Platinum, and never really heard shit talking. I usually queue up with a couple guys. I have a friend that plays a lot still and generally solo queues that hears more of it, but he was more frustrated by the various bad metas than people being shithead.

Personally I've only seen people being toxic in Fortnite lately, and it's pretty rare. Most of the salty messages I get are in fighting games.

I think most online games have their crap people and communities. When it’s the predominant part of the game, that’s when people stop playing it. I’m not a competitive player at all so when I play Injustice 2, Battlefront 2 or Battlefield I am doing so just to have fun. I was like that when I played MMOs. I didn’t care for the super serious guilds that raided all the time. The environment wasn’t fun. I was interested in whether Overwatch had a good amount of decent people playing quick matches and such. If the load times weren’t so bad in Battlefront 2, I’d stick to that. Overwatch also feels a lot like Team Fortress 2 which was the only online shooter I really loved playing.

#856 Sielanas  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:32 PM

Televisions passing Atmos audio is a recent development. I have a 2016 LG OLED, and it doesn't. You'll need to route the audio to a sound bar or reciver that supports it.

Lesson I should have learned from cell phones, Samsung is terribly slow at putting out software updates. There's no reason it can't pass any version of surround sound when a firmware update would fix it. Will not purchase again.

Question I never thought to ask before: what color is the background in the settings app?

#857 akathatoneguy   Use your turn signal CAGiversary!   1013 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

akathatoneguy

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:09 PM

Having played a ton of Overwatch and Dead By Daylight, it's kind of funny to see the Overwatch community described as "toxic."

I'm admittedly not a high level competitive player in Overwatch, but I'm also not in DBD and with ~300 hours in each, there's just no comparison. I'm sure that as with most things, it's worse if you play on PC too, since it's so much easier to type messages to teammates or post-game, etc., but I never get negative messages in Overwatch. The most BM I've seen is the old "thanks" voice line when the team's about to lose.

Contrast to DBD where I've gotten dozens of messages and just about anytime I play as a killer, I'm expecting some salty reactions if I play well. At a minimum, other players just teabagging you, taunting you, extending the game for no good reason but to be a shit, etc.

Just my take but if someone's considering buying Overwatch on console, the two things I mainly wouldn't be worried about are the community's size and toxic behavior. I don't think there's any need to assume that someone just considering buying it now is going to ascend to the highest levels of competitive and deal with people who take it way too seriously, for instance.

#858 FlyingMonkey9   Genetically Modified CAG CAGiversary!   4036 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

FlyingMonkey9

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:13 PM

Which is better, ace combat 5 or ace combat 6? Definitely interested in AC7 and will buy digitally if it’s the only way to get BC game

#859 SIX min WHISTLE   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3582 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

SIX min WHISTLE

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:16 PM

In general I feel like a see a lot less toxicity now than the old days. I've been playing on Xbox Live consistently for about 11 years now, and I remember a lot more shit talk during the 360 era. On Halo 3, Reach, L4D, and Gears 1-3 I remember way more people talking in general than we get now, so obviously the percentage of people being assholes was higher. I'm not sure why there was this shift to so many people either not using mics or staying in party chat, but I've definitely felt it since Xbone came out.

#860 Barry Burton   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1599 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

Barry Burton

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:41 PM

Having played a ton of Overwatch and Dead By Daylight, it's kind of funny to see the Overwatch community described as "toxic."

I'm admittedly not a high level competitive player in Overwatch, but I'm also not in DBD and with ~300 hours in each, there's just no comparison. I'm sure that as with most things, it's worse if you play on PC too, since it's so much easier to type messages to teammates or post-game, etc., but I never get negative messages in Overwatch. The most BM I've seen is the old "thanks" voice line when the team's about to lose.

Contrast to DBD where I've gotten dozens of messages and just about anytime I play as a killer, I'm expecting some salty reactions if I play well. At a minimum, other players just teabagging you, taunting you, extending the game for no good reason but to be a shit, etc.

Just my take but if someone's considering buying Overwatch on console, the two things I mainly wouldn't be worried about are the community's size and toxic behavior. I don't think there's any need to assume that someone just considering buying it now is going to ascend to the highest levels of competitive and deal with people who take it way too seriously, for instance.

playing DBD recently a woman playing as the killer sent me a message calling me every insult you can think of including "child molester" all because i escaped, along with telling me to kill myself

i played Call of Duty for years and never experienced such anger and hate

#861 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8822 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:52 PM

Which is better, ace combat 5 or ace combat 6? Definitely interested in AC7 and will buy digitally if it’s the only way to get BC game

I think a lot of people would rank AC5 above 6 but YMMV. Even though 6 is not available digitally for direct purchase, at least you can get a physical copy and it will still play on X1 through BC. For now at least, AC5 on PS4 is only available as a bonus with AC7.

I still would prefer AC7 on my X1X even though it oddly sounds a tiny bit less stable frame rate wise over the Pro based on Digital Foundry’s analysis. Just lucked out and got a AC5 code accidentally sent to me from Best Buy. And hoping they also get me AC6.

Sad that they didn’t optimize 7 to perform better on X when it clearly could have been better than the Pro. Not like it’s a deal breaker. Just dips below 60 FPS a bit more often.

#862 Thebacklash   Now Drinking: Minor Case Rye Whiskey - Sherry Cask Finished CAGiversary!   2508 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Thebacklash

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:18 PM

In general I feel like a see a lot less toxicity now than the old days. I've been playing on Xbox Live consistently for about 11 years now, and I remember a lot more shit talk during the 360 era. On Halo 3, Reach, L4D, and Gears 1-3 I remember way more people talking in general than we get now, so obviously the percentage of people being assholes was higher. I'm not sure why there was this shift to so many people either not using mics or staying in party chat, but I've definitely felt it since Xbone came out.

Pretty sure the less usage today, is due to the past being so horrible. Just as you described.

When I do play a multiplayer game that has voice, guess what the first thing I do is? Mute the voice chat. I've found that the people using voice in game are the younger players, us older folks have had enough of the crap and mostly turn it off if we can, or mute people.

When I'm playing with friends... all bets are off. But playing with random people, STFU i don't want to hear you.

#863 deszaras   Wait...what? CAGiversary!   818 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

deszaras

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:30 PM

I agree about it being bad in the 360 days. Whether I played Halo or COD it seemed like it was full of 13 year olds cussing and saying mean crap to everyone. Nothing they said in itself bothered me, it was just the deluge and absurdity of it I hated. I have noticed almost no one uses mics or talks anymore in public matches which I think its the biggest cause for the change.

#864 David Hibiki   You must be tired... CAGiversary!   11526 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:42 PM

I play Overwatch once a week or more give or take. However i play in a party with a friend so I never see much toxcity. As others have said It's nothing like the 360 days. Since theres no team killing your good.

I hate playing with randoms in PUBG or Blackout because of team killing.

#865 p0rn0saur   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1566 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

p0rn0saur

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:21 PM

Decided to try and play through RE7 this week before RE2 comes out. The demo is getting such great reception I may end up splurging on it. 

Started this morning and goddamn, I love horror games but RE7 is fucking scary. These games usually are tense and creepy, but this is a whole new level. 

Ha I'm still working through my VR play through, It will get done eventually. Really enjoyed the game despite some of the new directions it goes in. It could use a few tweaks if they go in the same direction with 8, but I'll be there for it.

This clip I made still cracks me up

https://www.trueachi...clipid=66477708

#866 dennisb407   Brickseek DN CAGiversary!   5659 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:44 PM

Bloomy what's the countdown looking like this week?

#867 NFLGameDay97   Surveying the Field CAG in Training   19 Posts   Joined 0.2 Years Ago  

NFLGameDay97

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:20 AM

Randomly checked my wishlist and Stellar Interface is on sale 65% off. Decent shmup

https://www.microsof...vot:overviewtab

#868 bob101910   Cammy's Cat CAGiversary!   4280 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:20 AM

Mads Mikkelsen giving hope for more Hannibal. He's been in everything lately. I love it. We had a few big Hannibal fans here a few years ago.

Haven't been around in awhile (addicted to Switch and busy with work). I miss all of you, but my wallet is a lot fuller. Hope everyone has a great year.

#869 Super Strider TurbulenceEX   Son of the Old Gods CAG Veteran   338 Posts   Joined 0.8 Years Ago  

Super Strider TurbulenceEX

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:29 AM

Mads Mikkelsen giving hope for more Hannibal. He's been in everything lately. I love it. We had a few big Hannibal fans here a few years ago.

Haven't been around in awhile (addicted to Switch and busy with work). I miss all of you, but my wallet is a lot fuller. Hope everyone has a great year.

I feel you on dat Switch addiction. 

I've been conditioned for the past decade to buy games on Xbox for uniformity, achievements, controller, etc but I've been double dipping and buying alot digital Xbox games on Switch.

#870 xbox_man   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   768 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:39 AM

Just completed another Xbox 360 game, Pirates Of The Caribbean At Worlds End (have a birthday trade voucher I am going to use, so that is why I have been playing these older games).

I get that with games that are based on a movie there will be points in the game that are not in the movie, to fill out the game, but when the game has cut scenes that are different to what happens in the movie, that was annoying me.