* * * * - 9 votes

XBL Deals - DwG: RDR2, Destiny 2, Sniper: GW, more | Lego, Anime Month | GwG: Super Bomberman R, Bloodstained: CotM; Jedi Academy

#2281 whitereflection   Shake well before serving CAGiversary!   5261 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

whitereflection

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:04 AM

My free used XBox 360 adventure at Gamestop has been very interesting. I got a used XBox 360 back in late November. I got my rebate a week ago which was fine. I did some testing of the 360 earlier in January and had an issue with the built in wifi. So I took it back to the Gamestop where I purchased if. They swapped it out for another used Slim and actually gave me cash back since the Xbox 360 was on sale last weekend for $50. I got back $21. So I tested this XBox 360 this past week and the DVD drive would not read disks and the controller had a busted D-Pad and the controller would intermittently turn off.  I went to Gametop again today for another trade.  The Gamestop employee said they were out of Slim models and would I be ok with an E model. I said sure. When he was testing DVD drive I noted it was an S model and he was not sure. I could tell just by the form factor. I told him to check the back and sure enough it was indeed an S model which I prefer anyway. He said the box must have been mislabeled. I agreed. Anyways I am on my 3rd 360 now. This one seems to work pretty good so far. I have been to Gamestop more the past couple of months than I have been for years.

What was wrong with it? I got an E model myself on Black Friday myself and the WiFi is slow like a snail crawling, but I assumed they were all like that. All my other consoles are Ethernet connected, and I thought wifi on X360 was shoddy by design - the X360 hardware in general seems cheaply made, so it didn't surprise me that it had poor wifi. It was adequate enough to play games online, but downloading was capped at less than 1MB/s.

#2282 entexman   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   227 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

entexman

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:01 AM

What was wrong with it? I got an E model myself on Black Friday myself and the WiFi is slow like a snail crawling, but I assumed they were all like that. All my other consoles are Ethernet connected, and I thought wifi on X360 was shoddy by design - the X360 hardware in general seems cheaply made, so it didn't surprise me that it had poor wifi. It was adequate enough to play games online, but downloading was capped at less than 1MB/s.

The wifi on the original Xbox 360 I got from Gamestop was terrible compared to other XBox 360's I own. I have 3 XBox 360's I have purchased over the years since 2009. Plus the controller was not great. It had a battery cover that was white on a black controller. That was kind of annoying me. The latest XBox 360 seems good across the board.  

#2283 bee01   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   250 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:28 AM

Went ahead and bought a 500GB SSD to use with my Xbox One X.  Hopefully it helps with Forza Horizon 4 and Battlefield V loading times.

#2284 awp   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8642 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:47 AM

Hmm..might have to look into switching out one of my externals on my X1X. For some reason I didn’t realize an SSD would work with it.

#2285 p0rn0saur   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1451 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

p0rn0saur

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:28 AM

Yeah just needs to be at least 250gb and you'll need an enclosure or adapter. Works great for me. I've never did a stopwatch but Red Dead 2 load screens I used to watch about 10-12 old timey pictures sit and fade in and out, now I watch 3. It might depend on some of the SSD drive's features also. I picked up this Intel one for $55 over a christmas sale, really happy with it. 

https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B074SGXN81

#2286 Darthziggy   Friendly neighborhood lurker CAGiversary!   400 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Darthziggy

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:59 AM

All this talk of SSDs for the X, and I’m thinking about one, too. Don’t have an X yet, but that might change soon. How does this drive look though? Seemed a decent price.
https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6295039

#2287 Dustinator   Why hello....... CAGiversary!   1338 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Dustinator

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:14 AM

Shin Hisako is the f2p character this week in Killer Instinct. Season 3 characters have never gone GwG like the previous seasons and she's amongst that S3 roster. Easy achievements to be had playing just a few rounds

#2288 Bloomy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5325 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:19 AM

Countdowns.

Spoiler

#2289 p0rn0saur   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1451 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

p0rn0saur

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:49 AM

All this talk of SSDs for the X, and I’m thinking about one, too. Don’t have an X yet, but that might change soon. How does this drive look though? Seemed a decent price.

The one thing that caught my eye is it said top speed was 300 Mbps, that seems a bit on the slower end. I'm sure people smarter than I would know more. 

#2290 darthfracas   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   698 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

darthfracas

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:16 AM

Finished TA Hangman just now. Only had 2 misses, and one of them was an unexpected unlock from Forza 7 for collecting enough driver gear. Used 6 games to cover 14 letters.

#2291 Armstrong x360a   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   957 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Armstrong x360a

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:26 AM

Finished TA Hangman just now. Only had 2 misses, and one of them was an unexpected unlock from Forza 7 for collecting enough driver gear. Used 6 games to cover 14 letters.

Nice, congrats. This was similar to my stats, 2 misses (1 planned), 7 games for 12 letters. Fun little challenge.

#2292 evful   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   602 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:02 AM

Got a new gamepass offer on the xbox dashboard. $2 for one month plus they add a month. My sub ran out in end of the year and I haven't been eligible for the current 1$ month that's currently been advertised. Just in time for Crackdown.

I should note it still shows the 1 month for $1 deal on the dashboard but when I clicked thorough the price showed $2 and had the extra month verbiage in the description.

Edit 2:

looks like there may be a similar deal for Xbox Live Gold as well. Think these are valid 2/12-2/21.

Edited by evful, 11 February 2019 - 09:12 AM.

#2293 SoulessSamurai  

SoulessSamurai

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:37 PM

Got a new gamepass offer on the xbox dashboard. $2 for one month plus they add a month. My sub ran out in end of the year and I haven't been eligible for the current 1$ month that's currently been advertised. Just in time for Crackdown.

I should note it still shows the 1 month for $1 deal on the dashboard but when I clicked thorough the price showed $2 and had the extra month verbiage in the description.

Edit 2:
looks like there may be a similar deal for Xbox Live Gold as well. Think these are valid 2/12-2/21.

Nice, been waiting on this to add on the CDKEYS xbl codes after I pick these up. Thanks!

#2294 jimbobvaquero  

jimbobvaquero

Posted 11 February 2019 - 02:48 PM

I think you'll see a benefit even without an X with that. That seems like a decent price although you could probably find a WD 500gb 2.5 drive plus a cheap enclosure for a little less money. Even though the speed is 300mb per second, that is still faster than the roughly 150mb per second of your typical spinning drive.

#2295 SIX min WHISTLE   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3429 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

SIX min WHISTLE

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:07 PM

the Apex battle pass starts in March for season 1. Each season will be 3 months, but I don't think they announced a price for the pass yet.

I think they need to match Fortnite with the $10 price. As of now, it sounds like once you hit max level 100 you're finished earning the lootboxes with a total of 45, and at that point only earn the crafting currency upon "leveling". It also says the Battlepass comes with a mixture of exclusive items and additional Battlepacks totally around 100 rewards overall.

If levels reset every season then it won't be so bad, but that isn't known currently. My concern is that I've seen some people around level 50 and the game is only a week old. If you stop earning rewards entirely unless you pay that will suck, unless you start getting more crafting materials on average than before at that point.

I'm also hoping they'll have the same system of earning the premium currency through the Battlepass, enough for the next one at least, much like Fortnite does. Or maybe have it as an unlock if you hit the final tier. I kind of think EA will want that guaranteed BP purchase every three months from the hardcore. I'd imagine they're figuring out exactly what the model will be right now, as much as Respawn didn't want any backlash from selling it if there were more technical issues at launch.

#2296 SIX min WHISTLE   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3429 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

SIX min WHISTLE

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:52 PM

Finally a preview of the upcoming Create A Soul parts for Soul Calibur VI. So far its only on their Taiwanese Facebook so they probably put it up too early.

Some new things, some returning DLC items from V, and some a classic armor or two. Hopefully that's not everything for the pack but at least there are some cool things in it. I'm hoping most if not everything works for males and females. Still no date, just translated statement of:

"The 3TH WAVE DLC is about to be on sale!

Additional clothing, accessories, a brand new look for new year!"

Lunar New Year just happened for China/Taiwan if you missed it.

https://www.facebook...48694588519872/

#2297 aledromo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   141 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:30 PM

Do any of you use a thumb drive for extra storage on your Xbox? Any advice on the topic? It’s such a bother deleting and redownloading stuff. But I don’t have the space for a big external HDD.

#2298 p0rn0saur   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1451 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

p0rn0saur

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:39 PM

Do any of you use a thumb drive for extra storage on your Xbox? Any advice on the topic? It’s such a bother deleting and redownloading stuff. But I don’t have the space for a big external HDD.

Seems there are a lot of options out there that aren't big external drives, and aren't thumb drives. You can get USB powered only stuff like Western Digital Easystore up to 4 terabytes now without having to plug in external power. My usb cord goes to one of the slots behind the xbox and drive is sitting on top. Covers only like 1/5th of the surface space if that. 

#2299 Bloomy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5325 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:41 PM

You ever look into Western Digital My Passport drives?  They come in sizes up to 4 TB, but have a pretty small footprint.

#2300 ilovexboxone   video game master CAGiversary!   375 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

ilovexboxone

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:44 PM

has anyone played baseball riot?

#2301 tribalnoise   Official Threadkiller CAGiversary!   1883 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

tribalnoise

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:51 PM

the minimum requirement for external usb storage is 256gb. a thumb drive of that capacity is probably too expensive, so try one of the other suggestions in the previous posts.

#2302 Donken   President & CEO CAGiversary!   3436 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:56 PM

the minimum requirement for external usb storage is 256gb. a thumb drive of that capacity is probably too expensive, so try one of the other suggestions in the previous posts.

They are around $45, but for $80 you can get a WD small form factor external which is a way better value, if you can find a small spot to tuck it.

#2303 Touch3  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:03 PM

I was curious about this and it turns out a 512GB flash drive ($150, $100 on sale) is about the same price as a 500GB external SSD ($130, 90 on sale).  So if you're really starved for physical space, it wouldn't be too bad, though personally I'd be worried I'd snap the flash drive off accidentally moving the system.

I imagine you could go even cheaper with an internal SSD in an enclosure, though.

@aledromo Keep in mind that an external HDD will be a better space-per-dollar ratio, but load times will be similar to (if not slightly worse than) the console's internal drive.  An external SSD/flash drive is more expensive per GB, but loads faster than the console's built-in storage.  It'll be up to you to decide whether speed or capacity is more worthy of your money.

#2304 deszaras   Wait...what? CAGiversary!   785 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

deszaras

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:19 PM

I haven’t heard of it. I wish there was a solid baseball game on Xbox. One of the only reasons I have a PS4 is for MLB the Show.

#2305 aledromo   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   141 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for all the answers. Looks like I’ve got some window shopping to do.

#2306 Dustinator   Why hello....... CAGiversary!   1338 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Dustinator

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:00 PM

I have. It doesn't play like a normal baseball game however. The gameplay consists of various stages that have a certain amount of umpires you have to knock down with a set amount of baseballs you hit. Kinda like Angry Birds but you have obstacles like walls and the balls bounce around a few times before they disappear. It was $2.50 once back in 2016. I'd recommend it at that price, but for $5??? Ehhhhh.....

#2307 MOStateSuperman   I eat birds and planes for breakfast. CAGiversary!   399 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

MOStateSuperman

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:01 PM

It’s a fun little physics-based puzzle game (think angry birds). I think the series is a lot of fun in short bursts. There’s a tennis one as well, and maybe one or two others.

#2308 WNYX585AM   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3394 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:37 PM

It’s a fun little physics-based puzzle game (think angry birds). I think the series is a lot of fun in short bursts. There’s a tennis one as well, and maybe one or two others.

I believe Tennis In the Face was their original and the baseball is a variation on it.  It's fun, but it's basically a mobile game.  I don't know if it really is a port but it feels like a mobile game.

#2309 ilovexboxone   video game master CAGiversary!   375 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

ilovexboxone

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:38 PM

I have. It doesn't play like a normal baseball game however. The gameplay consists of various stages that have a certain amount of umpires you have to knock down with a set amount of baseballs you hit. Kinda like Angry Birds but you have obstacles like walls and the balls bounce around a few times before they disappear. It was $2.50 once back in 2016. I'd recommend it at that price, but for $5??? Ehhhhh.....

are the achievements easy?

#2310 Dustinator   Why hello....... CAGiversary!   1338 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Dustinator

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:52 PM

are the achievements easy?

You'll definitely need a guide to 100% it. Played it casually and got to region three or four out of eight, before I got stuck. Then got tossed into the backlog and that's where it's been for years. Don't get me wrong it was fun for a few dollars, but it really feels like a mobile game. Attained maybe 100+ points out of 1k, 16 achievements total to complete

https://www.xboxachi...all-riot/guide/