* * * - - 4 votes

Best Buy - Resident Evil 2 w/ free Steelbook with any version purchase

#31 gnugget5   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   361 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

gnugget5

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:53 PM

Bit of an underwhelming steelbook. Still tempted because I'm a sucker, although I may hold out and see if it's still available when the game hits the $20 mark.

I wasn't exactly thrilled with the MHW steelbook when it released and it sat in a box in my basement until this past November.  I was trying to trim down storage items and decided to look up its street value on ebay - afterall, it was a free pack-in.  To my surprise, the steelbook was averaging around $45 (pre-fees, which reduced take-home value to $36).  Since I picked up MHW with GCU (and got more than enough playtime out of it) for $48, after fees for the sale, I ended up effectively getting the game on release for $12 out of pocket. 

A similar situation also occurred with the Fire Emblem: Awakening release for the 3DS a few years back, when the free Gamestop pack-in was a really nice artbook.  Apparently the artbook ended up with supply issues and stores only got 1-2 (total) for preorders...which led to the artbook being valued around $35 on the secondary market.  Effectively free 3DS games = good in my book. 

My point - don't neglect the value of certain free pack-ins.  Whether you capitalize on that value by selling or using, it still adds value to the purchase.  Yes, it's likely that RE2 Remake will drop to normal Capcom levels within the next year, but if I can get it now with GCU + steelbook pack-in, then I'm already getting added value with the early access (and price). 

#32 BritneySpears  

BritneySpears

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:51 PM

Well, I can't exactly put much faith in random Joe Best Buy Chatter's knowledge of company policy.  In my experience, it's been very hit or miss when it comes to consistent responses from customer service agents. 

I guess you're right because I just read on the BB's forums this from a Mod

That bonus case may not show up on the order until close to launch, or potential not at all. You should still receive the item, however, so there’s no need to worry.

If you want to have the bonus appear on your order now, feel free to cancel the order and place a new one. You should receive it whether or not you do that, however, so you should be all set regardless. 

So yeah, I think I'm gonna keep the pre-order and if I don't get the steelcase, I'll just show them that answer. 

#33 ec91762  

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:43 AM

Would love to partake, but if RE7 was indication, this game will be $15 after 3 months.

Where do you find it for $15?? The most discount I saw after 3 months was about $15 off during Gamestops Prestige Day, or was it a Best Buy DOTD?

#34 erikjo  

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:20 AM

So I preordered this but my gcu expired. Any recommendations on getting steelbook? I know if I change my order I will lose my discount.

#35 dragonjud   Got games, but no time CAGiversary!   3343 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:30 AM

Meh, not taking any chances.  Thanks for the heads up.  Cancelled pre-order, and put in a new one.  My old pre-order didn't even show the other in-game pre-order bonus.  

#36 Rick Astley  

Rick Astley

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:15 AM

Well usually when I do store pickup for a pre order, it comes with the steelbook or i’d have to ask for it when I pick the game up. Getting it shipped is probably more risky

#37 starmartyr   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   307 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

starmartyr

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:46 AM

Is the other pre-order bonus still the Samurai Edge? If so, this makes it easy to determine where I'll preorder from.
And do in-store preorders still get the steelbook?

#38 SmileyMcSmiles   Coulrophobia CAGiversary!   2364 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

SmileyMcSmiles

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:48 AM

I just placed a PO for the PS4 Deluxe Edition with the advertised free Steelbook (with store pickup and $10 rewards cert.), thanks OP!

Now contemplating on doing the same for the XBO version, just waiting for reward points to redeem for another $10 cert.

As for those who per-ordered earlier, before the advertised Steelbook, I would seriously just cancel and re-order to be on the safe side. 

Also...I'm so damn excited for this game!!!  :D

#39 xXJonoXx   Resident Che(vil)ap CAGiversary!   930 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:07 AM

Is the other pre-order bonus still the Samurai Edge? If so, this makes it easy to determine where I'll preorder from.
And do in-store preorders still get the steelbook?

Yes, you get the gun skins as well as the Steelbook from Best Buy.

#40 erikjo  

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:16 AM

If I change from shipping to in store pickup, will I lose my gcu discount as my membership expired after I placed the preorder?

#41 Rick Astley  

Rick Astley

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:31 AM

If I change from shipping to in store pickup, will I lose my gcu discount as my membership expired after I placed the preorder?

You can always change the delivery method. You’re not cancelling and re ordering so you should be fine. I just did this for my KH3 pre order and my gcu expired

#42 Saraph   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   101 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:26 AM

I called customer service and had them refund me the difference once I put in an order for the steelbook ($9.99). This also worked for Anthem's steelbook. They were genuinely surprised that I was able to track down these items to purchase.

#43 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1305 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:41 AM

I preordered the deluxe. The ability to play with the original soundtrack is sweet.   

Capcom can produce some great soundtracks I don't know  anyone who played res that can't hum the police stations piano part. 

LOL.  I do long for the days when this stuff was included and accessed by unlocking.

save room 

#44 CyborgNinja  

CyborgNinja

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:51 AM

Looks like the steelbook sold separately is no longer available. I was considering buying that only and waiting for a price drop on the base or deluxe. Guess I'll have to keep my full price reservation now...

#45 humbug43  

humbug43

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:37 AM

I dont see sold out. I now see not for Individual sale. And its gray out.

#46 BadWaluigi=Luigi  

BadWaluigi=Luigi

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:41 PM

Where do you find it for $15?? The most discount I saw after 3 months was about $15 off during Gamestops Prestige Day, or was it a Best Buy DOTD?

I'm sure I w as exaggerating but this game did seem to drop in price more steeply and quickly than any other AAA game last year, and by far. I got it for 15 two BF's ago, which was just half a year after launch. It had been 25 many times before then too.

#47 gepet0   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1305 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:31 AM

I dont see sold out. I now see not for Individual sale. And its gray out.

I think they want to make sure everyone has one.  I forgot about this games release until I saw this thread and got excited. 

I am sure the release of that crazy timed 30 minute demo caused a rise in preorders as well.

I cannot remember a demo like that one.  If I understand it right. 

Once you download it you have 30 minutes to see how far you get that is it.   Even if you unplug the console you are still on the clock. LOL

demo reviews seemed to be doing well.

#48 Bleedingwickedly   CAG CAGiversary!   2751 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Bleedingwickedly

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:25 PM

I think they want to make sure everyone has one.  I forgot about this games release until I saw this thread and got excited. 
I am sure the release of that crazy timed 30 minute demo caused a rise in preorders as well.

I cannot remember a demo like that one.  If I understand it right. 
Once you download it you have 30 minutes to see how far you get that is it.   Even if you unplug the console you are still on the clock. LOL
demo reviews seemed to be doing well.

The timer starts when you click start. PlayStation has had time limited demos/trials for awhile.

#49 Indiana Jones   Yippie kai yay! CAGiversary!   2314 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Indiana Jones

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:51 PM

I just spoke to someone online and this is what he said

Joseph Ryan,  

I would like to inform you that, If the free product is available while placing the order you can able get the free product. If the free product is available after placing the order you will not able to get the free product.

So, it seems that maybe we should cancel and pre-order again? He also confirmed that you get any point rewards back when you cancel a pre-order.

I had preordered a Switch game that came with a bonus item after I had already placed the order. Close to release date, Best Buy sent me an email without any inquiry from me telling me they noticed it was missing from my order and added it. But I wouldn't hold my breath for them to do it every time.

#50 Brendan_Frye   All 5 Senses CAGiversary!   1295 Posts   Joined 4.0 Years Ago  

Brendan_Frye

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:51 PM

I preordered the deluxe. The ability to play with the original soundtrack is sweet.   

Capcom can produce some great soundtracks I don't know  anyone who played res that can't hum the police stations piano part. 
 LOL.  I do long for the days when this stuff was included and accessed by unlocking.

https://www.youtube....h?v=orHrAEU-W84

save room 
https://www.youtube....h?v=vMz6bhXyNZc

Doh! Didn’t know this. I’m assuming I can just purchase the dlc in the store though. Thanks fir the heads up!

#51 EndZero   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   331 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:11 AM

Wish I bought a steelbook when they were available for separate purchase. Didn't know. Hopefully there's some at the store on launch day for sale. Also, did gamestop really run out of Collector's Editions?

#52 intelligentidiot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   713 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

intelligentidiot

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:52 AM

Wish I bought a steelbook when they were available for separate purchase. Didn't know. Hopefully there's some at the store on launch day for sale. Also, did gamestop really run out of Collector's Editions?

For now at least, it's been OOS since early December. There will probably be some available online within the next week or so and maybe some in store around release due to cancellations, I would guess.

#53 Boss   [Removed by Admin] CAGiversary!   1993 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:07 PM

Amazon.de has it in stock still: https://www.amazon.d...uct/B07HMK3PHD/

#54 intelligentidiot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   713 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

intelligentidiot

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:35 PM

For now at least, it's been OOS since early December. There will probably be some available online within the next week or so and maybe some in store around release due to cancellations, I would guess.

Funny, RE2 Collector's Edition is back in-stock again: https://www.gamestop...resident-evil-2

#55 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   3919 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:57 PM

What does the Deluxe Edition add aside from some DLC outfits? I am going to pick this up, but from what I have seen I should just get the standard edition. 

#56 intelligentidiot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   713 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

intelligentidiot

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:06 PM

What does the Deluxe Edition add aside from some DLC outfits? I am going to pick this up, but from what I have seen I should just get the standard edition. 

You can use the original music in game and there is a weapon along with the costumes.

Details can be found here: http://www.residente....com/us/buy.php

#57 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   3919 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:15 PM

You can use the original music in game and there is a weapon along with the costumes.

Details can be found here: http://www.residente....com/us/buy.php

That's it though? I saw that the original soundtrack and in-game weapon were included along with the outfits. If that's all that is being included for the extra $10, I will just stick with the standard release. 

#58 branberrycakes   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   38 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

branberrycakes

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:36 PM

That's it though? I saw that the original soundtrack and in-game weapon were included along with the outfits. If that's all that is being included for the extra $10, I will just stick with the standard release. 

To be able to use the OG soundtrack in-game is worth the $10 alone imo lol. 

#59 adam81  

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:16 AM

I canceled my order and bought again. Didn't want to have to deal with the possibility of no Steelbook because I preorderd  it before that was offered. I'm not one to pay for preorder bonuses but this is RE 2. Deluxe Version with GCU and $20 rewards=$35.99

Not bad for one of my most anticipated games. I bought the original RE2 at launch as well. I wonder how many here did the same. 

#60 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3783 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:35 AM

I bought the original RE2 at launch as well. I wonder how many here did the same. 

I bought the original game at launch, but the climate of gaming has changed tremendously in those 20 years. I'll just get the game when it's $15 in a couple of months or wait for a Gold version.