* * * - - 4 votes

Best Buy - Resident Evil 2 w/ free Steelbook with any version purchase

#61 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4297 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:52 PM

To be able to use the OG soundtrack in-game is worth the $10 alone imo lol. 

It's definitely cool, but something like that shouldn't be locked behind a $10 paywall though. 

I honestly should probably wait and just buy RE2 when it inevitably drops in price. I bought RE2 when it came out, but the market was different then and games like RE2 didn't drop in price nearly as quickly as this will. Not saying RE2 is going to sell poorly, because it'll probably sell very well but I wouldn't be surprised to see it for $40 or less come March. 

#62 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14543 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:11 PM

To be able to use the OG soundtrack in-game is worth the $10 alone imo lol. 

Remember when features like this were unlocked just from playing the fucking game? Tofu and Hunk remember.

#63 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4297 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2019 - 04:30 PM

Remember when features like this were unlocked just from playing the fucking game? Tofu and Hunk remember.

Exactly! I know it won't make a difference, but I feel better about not giving Capcom an extra $10 for something that should be included in the base release. 

#64 Xenokai   Competition between PS4/XONE saved gaming. CAGiversary!   684 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:57 PM

Gamestop has the Collectors Edition in stock again. Just to let you guys know.

#65 SpraykwoN   the Chef CAGiversary!   3220 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:19 PM

Gamestop has the Collectors Edition in stock again. Just to let you guys know.

$200 for a statue and some other misc. bullshit isn't worth it IMO....at least to me lol

#66 romito201   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   22 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

romito201

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:27 AM

Exactly! I know it won't make a difference, but I feel better about not giving Capcom an extra $10 for something that should be included in the base release. 

Games these days cost so much more to make and are cheaper compared to back in 1998 so an extra $10 for all of that stuff is worth it to me

#67 DaShaka   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2004 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:09 AM

$200 for a statue and some other misc. bullshit isn't worth it IMO....at least to me lol

Yeah not at all. I’ll buy the game, but I would never pay $140+ tax for those items on their own, so I sure as hell won’t in some kind of bundle. CEs are pretty good at tricking hyped people into buying game memorabilia for an extremely high price.

#68 intelligentidiot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1037 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

intelligentidiot

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:14 PM

PS4 CE OOS, XB1 still available

#69 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4297 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:35 PM

Games these days cost so much more to make and are cheaper compared to back in 1998 so an extra $10 for all of that stuff is worth it to me

Obviously, they cost more to make I think that is common knowledge at this point. A game like Resident Evil 2 is very likely to turn a profit though. I am not upset that I won't get the additional content with the standard release, just stating that what is being included is hardly worth $10 extra for me. 

#70 Xenokai   Competition between PS4/XONE saved gaming. CAGiversary!   684 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:02 PM

If I didn't have the cash to spare I for sure wouldn't have ordered the Collectors Edition but since I have it to spare i'll pick it up.  RE2 was a huge part of my childhood and ive been loving what capcom has been doing with the series since RE7 released.   I know it's not worth the price but I think ill enjoy the statue.

#71 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14543 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:12 PM

You'd have a point if the game were completely new but it's a remake. It's implied this is a cash-grab so no, it's just greed. Oh and let us not forget that voice actors were on strike over royalties not being paid for remakes such as this, so enjoy the new non-union voice acting for this game. At least Capcom was forced to pay for it, which was the point of the strike.

#72 Tyrok   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2418 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:32 PM

IMG-20190116-114547.jpg IMG-20190116-114603.jpg

#73 Brendan_Frye   All 5 Senses CAGiversary!   1300 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

Brendan_Frye

Posted 16 January 2019 - 08:08 PM

You'd have a point if the game were completely new but it's a remake. It's implied this is a cash-grab so no, it's just greed. Oh and let us not forget that voice actors were on strike over royalties not being paid for remakes such as this, so enjoy the new non-union voice acting for this game. At least Capcom was forced to pay for it, which was the point of the strike.

This is basically a completely new game. Built from the ground up. While I agree the soundtrack should have just been included, this is absolutely a $60 game. I honestly think pricing of games should go up in general anyway. $69.99 or $79.99 for next gen games would be find with me. The fact that they arent yet is one of the main reasons for all these stupid add ons you need to pay for. Because pricing of games have not been adjusted in years, this was the work around. DLC.

#74 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14539 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:10 PM

The steelbook is available separately now: https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=6320729

How many extras will stores have? No longer available individually.

#75 MSUHitman   Checkmate Arcade Co-Host CAGiversary!   14539 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:11 PM

This is basically a completely new game. Built from the ground up. While I agree the soundtrack should have just been included, this is absolutely a $60 game. I honestly think pricing of games should go up in general anyway. $69.99 or $79.99 for next gen games would be find with me. The fact that they arent yet is one of the main reasons for all these stupid add ons you need to pay for. Because pricing of games have not been adjusted in years, this was the work around. DLC.

https://youtu.be/VmITPfUI880

#76 Brendan_Frye   All 5 Senses CAGiversary!   1300 Posts   Joined 4.8 Years Ago  

Brendan_Frye

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:23 PM

So you agree with me? Im confused. I realize its still resident evil 2, but it was still built from the ground up, just like every other game. The only difference is for this (and other remakes for that matter), they already had a "game plan" so to speak.

Man this looks so good! Cant wait. 

#77 gunstar808   Capitalism, Ho! CAGiversary!   1127 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:28 PM

How many extras will stores have? No longer available individually.

I remember the struggle with the MHW steelbook. Only got 1/3, though Best Buy refunded me.

#78 Sigma   King of Strong Style CAGiversary!   4297 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:32 PM

This is spot on. I'd be fine with paying $10-$20 more for new releases like this. RE2 is a remake and not a remaster so the price is not an issue at all. Now if Capcom decided they were going to charge $59.99 for the Onimusha remaster that just released that'd be crazy. 

#79 The Dead Texan   Rest in Peace, Big Rizzle CAGiversary!   3864 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

The Dead Texan

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:11 AM

I honestly think pricing of games should go up in general anyway. $69.99 or $79.99 for next gen games would be find with me. The fact that they arent yet is one of the main reasons for all these stupid add ons you need to pay for. Because pricing of games have not been adjusted in years, this was the work around. DLC.

That's fucking bullshit. Games are way too expensive for what you get these days. Companies are never satisfied with just making a complete product. They need the nickel and dime afterward to milk people dry. You think that paying an extra $10 or $20 is going to stop companies from making GOTY versions or selling you a season pass for a game that hasn't even gone gold yet? No fucking way. PC gaming at the turn of the century was getting expansion packs for already complete games. I was excited when I heard consoles were going to be getting that treatment too with the advent of DLC, but all it did was give game companies an excuse to release a fraction of a game and sell you the rest later. Capcom already has a history of doing this with SFxTk and SFV. 

RE2 looks good, and I'll play it eventually, but there's no way in hell I'm paying $60 ($48) to play it day one when I know it's just gonna be $30 or less in a few weeks. 

This is why I'd rather support games that take a consumer friendly approach to game design:

https://www.ign.com/...a-complete-game

#80 Over easy   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1612 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:42 AM

Like what others said, missing the GCU discount sucks. If I still have GCU, I would have brought this at launch since I wanted the steelbook. I guess I'll just wait until it gets to $30, especially since I'm already dropping money for KH3 the week before.

Okay, maybe $40, I still have a soft spot for you RE2.

#81 Silver Phoenix   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   143 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Silver Phoenix

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:55 AM

I just went through talking to some Best Buy rep in Panama and hung up on him after he left me on hold for way too long. I called BB again a minute later and was magically connected to the United States. 

My order was placed on January 5th before they included the steelbook and they cannot add it to your existing order. I cancelled it tonight and re-ordered it which shows the steelbook as part of the included items, before it was just the digital pre-order bonus shown. However, they are not shipping the steelbook with the game. 

The game is being shipped to my house and the steelbook is shown as an in-store pickup. Completely ridiculous that I will have to drive to the store to pick up the steelbook. I will be furious if I show up and they tell me they don't have one set aside.

#82 BlurredReality   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   368 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

BlurredReality

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:14 AM

I just went through talking to some Best Buy rep in Panama and hung up on him after he left me on hold for way too long. I called BB again a minute later and was magically connected to the United States.

My order was placed on January 5th before they included the steelbook and they cannot add it to your existing order. I cancelled it tonight and re-ordered it which shows the steelbook as part of the included items, before it was just the digital pre-order bonus shown. However, they are not shipping the steelbook with the game.

The game is being shipped to my house and the steelbook is shown as an in-store pickup. Completely ridiculous that I will have to drive to the store to pick up the steelbook. I will be furious if I show up and they tell me they don't have one set aside.

That's really weird... I cancelled mine a few days ago and replaced the order, and it shows both the game and the steelbook shipping to me.

#83 Xellos2099   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3505 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:40 AM

A minor loophole to get the steelbook without the game.  Preorder the game as usual but cancel the game after you order and you will get charge $10 for the steelbook

#84 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14543 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:36 AM

A minor loophole to get the steelbook without the game.  Preorder the game as usual but cancel the game after you order and you will get charge $10 for the steelbook

Or pick the game up and just return it without the SB. I've never been charged for it.

#85 Xellos2099   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3505 Posts   Joined 15.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:51 AM

Or pick the game up and just return it without the SB. I've never been charged for it.

Pretty sure they are suppose to charge you 10 for it

#86 Josef   Touched the dead CAGiversary!   12793 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:00 PM

Yeah, in my limited experience with "free" items from BB, if you don't buy them as a bundle they charge you for them.  They charged me some insane amount for the free Witcher 2 preorder item (I think it was $50) when the game was canceled from my order for some reason (they canceled the game - can't remember why).

#87 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   14543 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:59 PM

They are, but they haven't. ;)

#88 romito201   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   22 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

romito201

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:00 PM

I hope we don't have a monster hunter world steelbook problem agian. Does anyone know if they had problems like that agian after that?

#89 SephirothWF   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1043 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

SephirothWF

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:46 PM

Just got the order update email. Thanks BBY.

#90 Loose Rattled Gamer  

Loose Rattled Gamer

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:48 PM

I hope we don't have a monster hunter world steelbook problem agian. Does anyone know if they had problems like that agian after that?

There will be problems again.   Many who ordered early before the steelbook announcement will prolly get boned again.   Hopefully they made a lot.