Dedicated Streaming Devices (Roku/Amazon Fire) vs Multi/Intigrated Devices (Tv/Blu-Ray Players)

Marbles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I'm wondering how Streaming Devices such as Roku Premiere, Roku Stick, Amazon Fire, and Amazon Fire Stick compare to Multi or Integrated devices.

To make a long story short, I have a decent Sony blu-ray player from 2014 in my room which I like to watch movies on, and stream stuff like Netflix and Hulu, but there is one catch. The streaming interface is slow, and always has been, with a massive delay when surfing or searching for videos, and even loading.

So am curious as to how Roku and Amazon Fire stack up.
I've heard decent things about Roku Premiere+ and Amazon Fire, but I am curious if they'll be as slow as this Blu-ray player

Any advice would be helpful!

Thank you!

One word: ROKU!

To me, hands down the best. Outside of an Apple TV (but only if your already invested into Apple Ecosystem)

Ive got one of the TCL TV's with Roku built in, fantastic! Fast, snappy, all the streaming apps. The BEST!

Got two others in my kid's rooms, using the regular streaming Roku sticks, (my kids dont need 4k) same response, super fast. Its great!! 

I totally know what you mean about "Slow" those DVD/Bluray players are great for grandma, but dude, that lag kills me.

To me, hands down the best. Outside of an Apple TV (but only if your already invested into Apple Ecosystem)

Ive got one of the TCL TV's with Roku built in, fantastic! Fast, snappy, all the streaming apps. The BEST!

Got two others in my kid's rooms, using the regular streaming Roku sticks, (my kids dont need 4k) same response, super fast. Its great!!

I totally know what you mean about "Slow" those DVD/Bluray players are great for grandma, but dude, that lag kills me.
Basically on my Blu-Ray player, if I am surfing Netflix, every time I am browsing, it literally takes/freezes a second everytime I click over a movie. For instance say the movie I want is the 4th one on the 3rd row down. With each button press, the system stops/lags/freezes for a second, before I can hit it again. If I impatiently hit the button, it'll eventually just jump forward the amount of times I hit it, but very slowly leaving me unable to correct it.

I think I'll go with the Roku Premier+ Thank you!

Another example is Hulu and Netflix. If I pause a video, or try and continue a video where I left off, the video starts for a minute, resets to the beginning for a couple minutes then jumps back to where I had it paused/continued.

Buy a roku stick. They are routinely on sale for $40 or less. Don't get the older "purple" model. That one isn't very good.
Stick and premier seem to be the same thing.. but need an external power supply and with the way my tv is set up the Premiere would be better since I'd need a longer psu.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/roku-streaming-stick-with-voice-remote-with-tv-power-and-volume-black/5947832.p?skuId=5947832

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/roku-premiere-4k-streaming-media-player-black/6293217.p?skuId=6293217

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back